The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Murray to end this year as #2?

+4
lags72
bogbrush
barrystar
eraldeen
8 posters

Go down

Murray to end this year as #2? Empty Murray to end this year as #2?

Post by eraldeen Wed 09 Nov 2011, 1:48 pm

He has to win Paris and WTF(undefeated in RR). Can happen.

eraldeen

Back to top Go down

Murray to end this year as #2? Empty Re: Murray to end this year as #2?

Post by barrystar Wed 09 Nov 2011, 1:55 pm

In theory, yes, but I don't expect it to happen in practice. It would require Murray to go on a 10 match tear from here. He's no gimme to win in Paris, but winning 5 matches at the WTF is exceptionally difficult.

If he does do it, then I think we are on to "when" not "if" he wins his first slam.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed 09 Nov 2011, 2:03 pm

barrystar wrote:In theory, yes, but I don't expect it to happen in practice. It would require Murray to go on a 10 match tear from here. He's no gimme to win in Paris, but winning 5 matches at the WTF is exceptionally difficult.

If he does do it, then I think we are on to "when" not "if" he wins his first slam.

We were there 4 years ago.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Wed 09 Nov 2011, 2:24 pm

Sorry, I meant "back" to "when" not "if".
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Wed 09 Nov 2011, 2:25 pm

barrystar wrote:In theory, yes, but I don't expect it to happen in practice. It would require Murray to go on a 10 match tear from here. He's no gimme to win in Paris, but winning 5 matches at the WTF is exceptionally difficult.

True enough, a 10 match streak from hereon in is very much in the possible-but-improbable category. It really would be quite something if Murray makes it Shocked

Going undefeated at WTF is I think a much tougher ask than a Paris triumph given that only the cream of the crop start in London, so no easy rides

The records show that Stich and Hewitt have made it right through the WTF undefeated (once each), but I was astonished to see that Federer has since done so in four of his five title wins

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed 09 Nov 2011, 4:39 pm

lags72 wrote:

True enough, a 10 match streak from hereon in is very much in the possible-but-improbable category. It really would be quite something if Murray makes it Shocked

Going undefeated at WTF is I think a much tougher ask than a Paris triumph given that only the cream of the crop start in London, so no easy rides

The records show that Stich and Hewitt have made it right through the WTF undefeated (once each), but I was astonished to see that Federer has since done so in four of his five title wins

And last year achieved the unprecedented achievement of beating all the other memebrs of the top 5 in a tennis tournament. Never happened before, ever.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy_Kyle Wed 09 Nov 2011, 5:03 pm

I think the real question should be the following: can Murray win the WTF? if he does so, hie standing in the circuit would be greatly improved.

Winning a WTF is certanily no easier task for him or any of the qualified players than winning a slam, as you have to tackle in succession 5 out of the 8 best in class. While to win a slam is possible, if not probable that a player meets only a couple of top ten, to get through the final.

So far Murray has not been effective, in general, against the others top four when he has met them in the big occasions, as SF and Finals in the big events. Should he be able to do so in the upcoming WTF, it would a great news for him and his fans.

I am personally a little skeptical he will. The reason: the competition out there is still a little too tough. Simple.
Jeremy_Kyle
Jeremy_Kyle

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Wed 09 Nov 2011, 11:48 pm

I think Murray could win WTF - he only needs the others not to be firing on slam winning form, and for him to really hit a groove and we know then he has good wins over the others in the top three and so in theory it is perfectly possible.

The question is for me, would he be able to string together 5 quality performances, he may need to find top quality for at least 3 of them, in one tournament? I'm also not convinced he believes he can, so yeah, I'm sceptical too JK

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 10 Nov 2011, 1:21 am

If the WTF was played on clay rather than hard courts, Roger Federer's record would not be as good. Swings and round-abouts.

Next year should be very interesting for mens tennis. Will Novak Djokovic continue his dominance and get his career slam? Will Raphael Nadal be able to beat Novak in a best of five match? Will Murray take the next step and win his first slam title? Will the ageing Maestro summon up enough resources to add to his slam tally ...

Back to top Go down

Post by Chazfazzer Thu 10 Nov 2011, 11:50 am

Will Raphael Nadal be able to beat Novak in a best of five match?

More like will Raphael Nadal be able to beat Novak in any match?

Chazfazzer

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu 10 Nov 2011, 12:26 pm

Too big of an ask to be fair. I think 3 is an achievement and just build on that for 2012. No need for any additional pressure.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down