The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Huge credit to Gatland

+10
RubyGuby
Taylorman
Shifty
George Carlin
mckay1402
HammerofThunor
Biltong
nathan
Cymroglan
DRAGONONPARADE
14 posters

Go down

Huge credit to Gatland Empty Huge credit to Gatland

Post by DRAGONONPARADE Sun 02 Oct 2011, 9:06 am

Lets face we've been pretty ruthless with our critism of the guy in the past few years ,especially about him delaying giving the youngsters a chance looks like he knows what he's doing after all Whistle

DRAGONONPARADE

Back to top Go down

Huge credit to Gatland Empty Re: Huge credit to Gatland

Post by Cymroglan Sun 02 Oct 2011, 9:08 am

Well he did say judge me on the world cup.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 02 Oct 2011, 9:10 am

i'd probably wait on the congratulations until you've beaten some of the bigger teams. Having said that you are looking good.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun 02 Oct 2011, 9:24 am

Well done so far.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sun 02 Oct 2011, 9:27 am

He's certainly made a side that destroys weaker sides, beats teams they should beat and competes with the better teams. It's exactly where they should be. Where as in 2007 Jenkins made them into a team that struggles to beat the weaker sides, sometimes lose to sides they should beat and doesn't compete with the better sides.

It would expect nothing less from Wales than what they've already given. I wouldn't be surprised if they get to the final beating NH sides (they're all capable of beating each other). Once they start regularly beating the SH team at home and competing away he'll deserve some real praise

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by DRAGONONPARADE Sun 02 Oct 2011, 9:35 am

I agree hammer thats where we should be but have'nt been, we've ll been screaming about him not playing the youngsters earlier when things were'nt great, but he's bided his time and brought them gradually despite a lot of flak

DRAGONONPARADE

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Sun 02 Oct 2011, 9:40 am

I don't think Wales will be afraid of anyone. They have the meat up front to handle any pack and as the backs showed they can create tries in the narrowest of space.

Warburton is invaluable. If he gets injured Wales chances are dramatically reduced. He has learnt well from Martyn Williams but has an extra physicality that Williams never really had.

George North just gets better with every game. He is so good at breaking the tackle and always makes ground.

For me that was the best game I have seen Roberts play for about 3 years.

Gethin Jenkins has been so missed we had forgotten what he brings. Turnovers, huge hits and solid scrummaging...not to mention that try.

From 1 to 22 Wales have a great squad and they are looking good so yep huge credit to Gatland. If they can cut out the errors against Ireland it will be the match of the tournament.

mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sun 02 Oct 2011, 9:41 am

It'll be an interesting four years regardless of how this cup goes. The team is full of very young, very inexperienced players and they're doing really well. Who knows where they could be in the next cup.

He certainly deserves credit for laying the platform for future development

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 02 Oct 2011, 9:44 am

Agreed Hammer - any coach would rather have a young dynamic team where the only thing that they're lacking is experience.

The worst thing that Welsh fans can do now is start hyping their team.

They are looking very good, but one step and match at a time from now on is best.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 02 Oct 2011, 10:07 am

I don't think we will start hyping them George. Yes we're extremely happy with the wins so far, but there's still so much room for improvement and we're still making basic errors at times (which given our inexperience is perhaps understandable).

I think we're all quite shocked how well we're playing to be perfectly honest!

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 02 Oct 2011, 10:12 am

As I said in other posts the goal for this world cup was to reach the quarter finals, the job has been done.
We wanted to compete with South Africa and not be disgraced, we achieved that. We wanted to hammer Namibia, and lay to rest the previous World Cup ghosts of Fiji and Samoa, both of these teams have been dealt with.

Ireland have had a magnificent win over Australia which gives Wales a chance in the quarters now, ideally we would of been happy with a glorious defeat to Australia, but Ireland are beatable and we know them well.

I do think Ireland and Wales will smash each other to a stand still, with Ireland winning in the end though.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 03 Oct 2011, 6:24 am

It's a credit to both teams that it's most neutrals' pick of the quarter finals.

Or if you're the NZ Morning Herald, the pick of any match not involving the Blackness.

In real terms, that's only, like, behind five pages of articles about Dan Carter's crotch.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon 03 Oct 2011, 10:53 am

Yes have to admit as a coach gatts has gotten more rubbishing from his own teans fans than any other team bar pdv.
Good to see the kiwi has come through a bit more for welsh fans. That is, assuming he still is a kiwi. He certainly was during the tuebulent months.
But that aside all year welsh posters were commenting how smashed up the team would be in that pool.
Good to see theyre in a much better position now.
Too soon to get carried away now. A clash with ireland has the two big match teams from pool play meeting a last four spot the reward.Coool!

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 03 Oct 2011, 11:00 am

Most of the flak Gatland has got has been deserved - the key here is that he seems to have learned form it. Wales are looking very good and that's not just now but for some time to come, particularly in the backs. I'm more than happy to give him credit for these performances as he deserves it, however he also deserved the flak for persisting with some woeful selections in the past that have lead to woeful performances thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon 03 Oct 2011, 11:02 am

thumbsup

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 03 Oct 2011, 11:30 am

I haven't so much criticised Gatland apart from some selection decisions but I have criticised his back room staff, mainly Howley.

We are looking good and have a decent crack at a Semi if not final slot which. lets be honest we haven't had since the 87 WC.

That said we still struggle to finish off games against bigger oppositon when ahead and we need to start doing that on a regular basis.

What is to his credit is the way he has brought on the youngsters such as Lydiate, Warburton, Faletau, Priestland, North and Halfpenny whilst showing faith in Roberts as a centre and dare I say it Bennett
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Mon 03 Oct 2011, 12:06 pm

RubyGuby wrote:Most of the flak Gatland has got has been deserved - the key here is that he seems to have learned form it. Wales are looking very good and that's not just now but for some time to come, particularly in the backs. I'm more than happy to give him credit for these performances as he deserves it, however he also deserved the flak for persisting with some woeful selections in the past that have lead to woeful performances thumbsup

Spot on

Lets not forget he has been forced into some selections through injuries it wouldn't have been his original plan e.g. Bradley Davies, and Warburton only was selected because of injuries and look how much of an impact they originally made. If players had been fit Mr G would have had alot of the players who won you the 08 slam, but also supplied you with a couple of 4th and 5ths spots in the 6N. His close knit group of untouchables would have been in i.e. the likes of Jon Thomas, Stephen Jones, Henson, Hook, and Byrne would have been playing, doesn't matter how good the other regional players were,........ can you imagine how good Wales might be now if the the Priestlands, the Scott Williams, the Norths, the Prydies would have been if he given them some game time over the last few seasons. Its arguable your best players have been North, Warburton, Priestland, and Scott Williams all whom would have been unlikely to been in the squad let alone the first 15 if some other "perceived better" players hadn't been injured.

Also you have to give credit to the new batch of recruits, they live and breath rugby, you don't find them moaning that they should be in a certain position, or are spikey haired, perma-tanned, interested in the next advert or celeb girlfriend they have to have on their arm. It was great to see the likes Lloyd & Scott Williams, Knoyle, North, Priestland looking and acting like "team" players and actual dedicated sportsmen

However you have to give credit where it is due....... Gatland has been superb in the training and fitness program, I no longer fear Wales will run out of steam after the 65 minute, in fact they probably are the fittest and strongest group of players in the WC. They have also reached the quarters so have matched their world ranking of been in the top 8 teams, and they have achieved it with style and panache through team work not individualism. There is an equal chance they could beat Ireland, and they are a much better outfit than when they last met England so could face them with some confidence (if they get through!!).

Overall you have to say "Well done Mr G and Co" keep up the good work

Last edited by flyhalffactory on Mon 03 Oct 2011, 12:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 03 Oct 2011, 12:10 pm

Spot On! - What else would you expect from Ruby FlyHalf - Gatts has also learned to shut his big mouth before games which is a new one - lets hope he keeps it that way - thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Mon 03 Oct 2011, 12:13 pm

Yahoo
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 03 Oct 2011, 12:21 pm

To be honest I have to apologise for some of the slating I have done with regards Gatland and Co. on here (and 606 before hand), I predicted he would lead us to another dire RWC campaign and I was wrong.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueNote Mon 03 Oct 2011, 12:36 pm

I do hope he doesn't say something stupid before the Ireland game.

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down