The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best move for Sergio.

+15
P4P King
Valero's Conscience
eddyfightfan
zx1234
manos de piedra
alfredperami
Rowley
J.Benson II
Waingro
coxy0001
Super D Boon
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
OasisBFC
Liam_Main
DaveVDK
19 posters

Go down

Best move for Sergio. Empty Best move for Sergio.

Post by DaveVDK Sun 02 Oct 2011, 7:10 pm

At 36 years old, Sergio Martinez will be looking to leave a legacy behind, however he will need to act quickly as he is not immune to the ageing process. If say he has 3 good fights left in him, what would be the best 3 names to leave the best possible legacy behind?

DaveVDK

Back to top Go down

Best move for Sergio. Empty Re: Best move for Sergio.

Post by Liam_Main Sun 02 Oct 2011, 7:12 pm

Sturm, Pacquiao and Mayweather. If them fights happen is a big question though.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Sun 02 Oct 2011, 7:14 pm

sturm, cotto and hopefully mayweather.

the manny fight wont happen.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 02 Oct 2011, 7:14 pm

He should either move up to 168lbs or move down to 154lbs. All the guys he wants to fight are down at 154 or 147lbs so down would probably be best. Saying that beating Cotto or Margarito proves nothing. Unless he fights Floyd or Manny when stepping down it does nothing for his name.

Can't see him moving up to 168lbs there are good fighters there who he isn't bigger than.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Mon 03 Oct 2011, 4:45 pm

Liam_Main wrote:Sturm, Pacquiao and Mayweather. If them fights happen is a big question though.

None of these fights will happen. Martinez will be too big for Pacquio and Mayweather. Sturm is a poopy pants German fighter who can't get past Macklin properly and is happy fighting bums in Germany.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Mon 03 Oct 2011, 4:51 pm

Alvarez would be my obvious choice

But Arum won't risk the ginger lad against someone he knows kicks his freckles arris all over the ring.

Barring that there isn't anyone, barring Abes if he comes back to 160. And he's already been beaten up enough by the bigger guys.

I'd probably be up for seeing the 3rd PWill fight. Yes the latter got sparked, but it wasn't a one sided beatdown etc. The first fight was very competitive, what's to say another one won't be (unless PWill walks into a monster left again)??

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Mon 03 Oct 2011, 4:55 pm

He should fight the winner of Cotto and margarito or try and fight Mayweather. He could also try and fight the winner of the Super 6. I do not think these fighters would be much afraid of him he is getting old and Barker gave him a tough test.

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Mon 03 Oct 2011, 5:13 pm

Martinez should fight Pirog (who apparently was ringside on Saturday and is probably the next best MW) but will probably end up chasing either the smaller Cotto, the has-been Margarito or the useless Chavez Jr.

Whichever fight pays the most I guess.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 03 Oct 2011, 5:15 pm

Benson would be gobsmacked if Uncle Bob let Chavez anywhere near Sergio as an outside bet would not rule out Macklin, his stock is pretty high on the back of pushing Sturm close and he is with DiBella now so easy to make and with his Irish roots Matt is probably not a tough sell state side.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by alfredperami Mon 03 Oct 2011, 5:27 pm

coxy0001 wrote:Alvarez would be my obvious choice

But Arum won't risk the ginger lad against someone he knows kicks his freckles arris all over the ring.

Barring that there isn't anyone, barring Abes if he comes back to 160. And he's already been beaten up enough by the bigger guys.

I'd probably be up for seeing the 3rd PWill fight. Yes the latter got sparked, but it wasn't a one sided beatdown etc. The first fight was very competitive, what's to say another one won't be (unless PWill walks into a monster left again)??

what has arum got to do with the price of eggs/bread/fish?
alfredperami
alfredperami

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon 03 Oct 2011, 5:32 pm

I think Martinez has figured Williams out now who is just too easy to hit and vulnerable to a southpaw counter puncher. I think a rematch would be another KO win for Martinez and after Williams last showing against Lara (who incidentally I think would make for a good fight with Martinez) Im not sure a Williams rubber match would be valid at the moment.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by zx1234 Mon 03 Oct 2011, 6:16 pm

if he's got 3 fights left at the top i think he should either go down to 154 or up to 168, as no beltholders will fight him at middle
at light middle

1.mayweather
2.cotto
3.alvarez

or at supermiddle

1.kessler/stieglitz winner
2.bute
3.quillin/dirrell

zx1234

http://www.footballbetting365.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Mon 03 Oct 2011, 6:31 pm

Lol maybe Martinez did not fight his best on purpose so Mayweather and Pacquiao would fancy their chances against him and think he is too old I reckon if he knocked Barker out quickly then they would not want a peice of him look at what he did to Williams and Pacquaio and Mayweather quickly decided not to have nothing to do with him they also did not want Williams when he was at welterweight. Don think Martinez is that much bigger than Margarito these days to be honest but he is better imo and that is the reason why Mayweather and Pacquaio do not want to take the risk.

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon 03 Oct 2011, 8:12 pm

would love to see alveraz, mayweather, pacquiao

however i dont see them fights happening. sturm, chavez jr, cotto or margartio will be more likely.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Tue 04 Oct 2011, 9:35 am

I would love to see Sergio get the big fights he deserves but I cannot see him getting Mayweather and definitely not Pac.

I don't want to see Margarito get more money but it appears Arum's going to milk him dry and give him big fights, well at least until he provides him with no more income so might as well let Martinez fight him, which would see him avenge both his 2 losses.

I can't see Cotto causing Martinez too much bother and would ideally like Martinez to face Sturm.

A fight with Sturm would generate big money in Germany and Europe as Sturm is a big name in Germany, known around Europe and even more so since the Macklin fight and Martinez is based in Spain I believe so could see this doing good business in Europe.

With all that said I can't see Sturm taking the fight considering his past history with credible opponents.

If these fights can't be pulled off then a shot at Bute at SMW would be entertaining and would generate the money Martinez desires if it's held in Canada.

Failing that a rubber match with Williams is viable IMO (especially if the other fights can't be made). Yes he sparked him in the 2nd last time but you cannot say the same dramatic and quick outcome is likely and people forget how competitive their first fight was.

A fight of the year candidate and knockout of the year/decade in their first 2 fights should generate enough hype to sell the fight.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by P4P King Tue 04 Oct 2011, 5:51 pm

Martinez should fight Julio Cesar Chavez jr.

P4P King

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Tue 04 Oct 2011, 6:00 pm

JCC is too overprotected for them to risk that fight. its a shame such talent is finding it hard to get a decent match up, three more huge fights and martinez would be mentioned with the greats, yet it seems unlikely to happen.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Issac Watson Tue 04 Oct 2011, 8:19 pm

boxing is becoming slightly farcical if you ask me. wba super heavyweight champion plus a regular wba heavy champion? what's regular about becoming a world champion? the organisations should force fights between the top dogs, as to avoid these stupid situations where there are 2-4 champions at each weight.

Issac Watson

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Tue 04 Oct 2011, 8:49 pm

You can blame fighters for ducking other fighters but the world boxing associations have to take a good look at themselves its becoming a farce,only 1 champion in any division for me its about time the titles were unified so we know exactly who the best is.
Martinez has called them all out and not one has the bottle to take up the challenge shocking really,they all must be hoping he ages overnight or becomes past his best I hope he gets the big fights but don't hold your breath.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 04 Oct 2011, 9:27 pm

Issac Watson wrote:boxing is becoming slightly farcical if you ask me. wba super heavyweight champion plus a regular wba heavy champion? what's regular about becoming a world champion? the organisations should force fights between the top dogs, as to avoid these stupid situations where there are 2-4 champions at each weight.

You're right, but it's not going to happen. Why would the governing bodies dilute their income from sanctioning fees?

As for Martinez, I would like to see him fight Alvarez. Whether it could/will happen is another matter but I think their styles would make for a decent fight. Both squat, muscular fighters with sound fundamentals and a telling dig. You have the South American angle, the more experienced champion against the young up and coming champion. All the ingredients are there for a good matchup.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 04 Oct 2011, 10:23 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
Issac Watson wrote:boxing is becoming slightly farcical if you ask me. wba super heavyweight champion plus a regular wba heavy champion? what's regular about becoming a world champion? the organisations should force fights between the top dogs, as to avoid these stupid situations where there are 2-4 champions at each weight.

You're right, but it's not going to happen. Why would the governing bodies dilute their income from sanctioning fees?

As for Martinez, I would like to see him fight Alvarez. Whether it could/will happen is another matter but I think their styles would make for a decent fight. Both squat, muscular fighters with sound fundamentals and a telling dig. You have the South American angle, the more experienced champion against the young up and coming champion. All the ingredients are there for a good matchup.

It would be good to see but GBP won't let it happen. Alvarez is a massive draw in Mexico or California. He doesn't need Martinez who is too high risk without the financial reward.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 04 Oct 2011, 11:28 pm

You're right there's just no chance that the fight will happen with Alvarez any time soon, they wouldn't risk his little "0". They know as well as everyone that Martinez would probably take aim and penetrate Alvarez's "0". Smile

If I was Martinez now I would go on the MEGA offensive call out every man under the sun really push it to the media that the likes of Cotto are complete losers who are just fighting for paychecks. I would be ranting and raving really throwing there names in the dirt, perhaps it's not the classiest way but maybe it's the only way. I would just rip open there careers and tell the world for what they are and criticise every decision they make, go mad Martinez!!

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down