The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sergio Martinez, where has he been?

2 posters

Go down

Sergio Martinez, where has he been? Empty Sergio Martinez, where has he been?

Post by D4thincarnation Tue 15 Mar 2011, 5:10 pm

I was thinking the other day it unfortunate for Martinez that there is no great figths for him at middleweight, the once prestigious divsion is seemingly lacking of talent.

Only a short time ago there was the like of Abraham, Taylor, Hopkins, Wright, which could have been great fight for Martinez to really see how he really is.

But then I thought Martinez is no spring chicking a few years older than AA and Taylor and not far of Winky who was at light-middle at the time.

So what took Martinez so long, we know he started out at welter and got stopped by Margarito 10 years ago, some blame this on his inexperienced but he was older than Marg and had almost as many fights as him.

He came in to boxing late, but from a sporting background, think he used to cycling and play football also, but still he has been a pro for 14 years now and only is the last 2-3 year has he been making any noise.

What stopped him doing this before? He could have had some great fights with Winky and took on some top middles in AA and Taylor and well as Hopkins.

What the reasoning for Martinez having some a quiet time when most boxers are in their prime, has he just taken advantage of the weak divsion?

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Sergio Martinez, where has he been? Empty Re: Sergio Martinez, where has he been?

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue 15 Mar 2011, 6:06 pm

I remember him coming over to fight Richard williams a good few years back, didn't think he would turn out to be where he is today but has improved with age i feel, although there's no doubt the depths of the divisions are weak at the moment.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Sergio Martinez, where has he been? Empty Re: Sergio Martinez, where has he been?

Post by D4thincarnation Tue 15 Mar 2011, 6:11 pm

Yeah he fought Adrien Stone as well, but have not seen or can't remember that fight. But by the sounds of it he was not that impressive.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue 15 Mar 2011, 6:16 pm

Didn't know that D4, not seen it myself either, felt for Williams though, guy was a true gentleman.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue 15 Mar 2011, 6:22 pm

Yeah, Williams took that defeat well. Lets hope he gets some big fights at light-middle now.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue 15 Mar 2011, 6:26 pm

Martinez knocked Stone out in the 12 round.

Would like to see that fight, but very much doubt is was covered but any mainstream network.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue 15 Mar 2011, 6:40 pm

Yeah doubt it D4. Have only ever seen Stone in with Mosley and we all know how that went, Williams can come back, needs to start using his advantages though and not mixing it on the inside, i'm sure he will learn from that defeat and come back stronger, he was chasing Martinez down a bit and doubled the power of that shot. It's that shot thats fast tracked Martinez on to the platform he's on now.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down