The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sergio Martinez: Who should he fight next?

+2
wow_junky
samevans1
6 posters

Go down

Sergio Martinez: Who should he fight next? Empty Sergio Martinez: Who should he fight next?

Post by samevans1 Thu 31 Mar 2011, 12:58 pm

Seems like a slow day, so though I'd post a quick article.

I was very impressed with Sergio Martinez's recent victory over Sergei Dziniruk. He looked superb throughout and outclassed a world level opponent.

So my question is this; who should Martinez fight next?

Should he take a soft defense before a marquee name is available? Should he move upto fight at Super-Middleweight against one of the top fighters there?

My personal perspective is that he should try and fight Felix Sturm or Sebastain Sylvester; before Dmitry Pirog at the end of this year/the start of next. I think there is too much weight hopping in this day and age and it would be enjoyable to see a fighter completely clean out a division.

What do you guys think?

AND PLEASE, NO MENTION OF THE GRUESOME TWOSOME!

samevans1

Back to top Go down

Sergio Martinez: Who should he fight next? Empty Re: Sergio Martinez: Who should he fight next?

Post by Guest Thu 31 Mar 2011, 1:03 pm

Neither Sturm or Sylvester are likely to come to America so unless Martinez wants to take the risk of fighting in Germany, there's more chance of me winning the Lottery

Back to top Go down

Sergio Martinez: Who should he fight next? Empty Re: Sergio Martinez: Who should he fight next?

Post by wow_junky Thu 31 Mar 2011, 1:04 pm

I'd be happy with any of the top 10 middles;

Pirog
Sturm
Golovkin
Sylvester
Lee
Macklin

etc

He's earnt an easy-ish defence, and Golovkin aside I think they will all provide it.

wow_junky

Back to top Go down

Post by samevans1 Thu 31 Mar 2011, 1:09 pm

I would hope Sturm at this stage of his career would take the risk as it would likely be a career high payday; but I can see where you are coming from.

He is unlikely to fight outside of Germany.

samevans1

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Thu 31 Mar 2011, 1:34 pm

Felix Sturm would be the best fight. I would like him to unify the division.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by samevans1 Thu 31 Mar 2011, 1:35 pm

I would like to see him in with Sturm as i thin k he is a good fighter. But the location would likely be an obstacle.

samevans1

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu 31 Mar 2011, 1:53 pm

Pirog would be the fight for me.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu 31 Mar 2011, 1:59 pm

The is a few I wouldnt mind seeing Segio fighting @ middle. Hope he doesnt move up again and go for the big money fight.

There are still a few challenges there for him.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by samevans1 Thu 31 Mar 2011, 3:16 pm

Pirog is a couple of fights away, I think. Needs to build his profile so that HBO see him as financially viable.

samevans1

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 31 Mar 2011, 3:32 pm

Felix Sturm could actually be a very interesting fight, and I think it would be interesting to see how Martinez would approach that, strangely enough I do agree that Martinez for a guy with such a good record that has also been in some CRACKING fights (The 2 Paul Williams fights) which shouldhave raised his profile higher than it is right now, I KNOW I'm gonna sound boring here, but I would love to see Mayweather take on Martinez at 154, probably won't happen though...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by samevans1 Thu 31 Mar 2011, 3:44 pm

Nah, think that's a step too far for Mayweather.

Would prefer to clear out Middleweight. Sturm would be a good option and is certainly a legitimate contender.

samevans1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down