The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Qb tiers

+15
Thomond
GurTPL
Forward Pass
Grizzly
Derbyblue
TheBrownTown
crazy_dave23
skins4ever
adams_legend
Pr4wn
GangGreen
wadey101
TM Moot
GB1919
cherriesfna
19 posters

Go down

Qb tiers Empty Qb tiers

Post by cherriesfna Tue 04 Oct 2011, 11:27 am

ive diecied to put all 32 sarting nfl Qbs into 5 tiers depending on skill
feel free to coorect me if you feel ive mispaced a couple(excluding manning p)

tiers 1
brady
rodgers
brees

tier 2
rivers
vick
fitzpatrick
roethlisberger
flacco
schaub
stafford

Tier 3
hasselbeck
manning E
cutler
Freeman
Ryan
Sanchez
Romo
Bradford
Newton

tier 4
Henne
McCoy
Cassel
Orton
grossman
Mcnabb
Kolb
smith
Dalton
Campbell

Tier 5
Jackson
Gabbert
who ever play for the colts Very Happy

the point of these is to get a general 606v2 of all QBs chages will be made if enough want them e.g cam from 2-3 and river from 1-2

Last edited by cherriesfan on Tue 04 Oct 2011, 4:50 pm; edited 4 times in total
cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Qb tiers Empty Re: Qb tiers

Post by GB1919 Tue 04 Oct 2011, 11:39 am

Oh this one is always fun. No two people anywhere in the world agree on this. It's been a while since we've had it too.

My thoughts:

At the moment Rivers has more INTs than TDs this season. He is also the only QB in tier one without a ring (why am I picking at that scab?!?) but more importantly he has a losing postseason record. I think Tier 1 is too high at the moment.

Fitzpatrick is playing above himself at the moment and I would drop him to Tier 3 along with Newton. I'm not putting him that high after 4 games, that's ridiculous. I would move Freeman up to Tier 2 personally although he hasn't had the most electrifying start you can see it improving already.

I would move McNabb down to Tier 5 and that's generous as he won't be an NFL QB in a few weeks.

You have also put Campbell in twice but I would agree with the Tier 4 level for him. You've missed any Colts QBs but maybe that's deliberate, none of them are operating at an NFL level at the moment.

Last edited by GB1919 on Tue 04 Oct 2011, 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

GB1919

Back to top Go down

Post by GB1919 Tue 04 Oct 2011, 11:42 am

I also think Romo is unbelievably over-rated and would happily put him in Tier 4. I've been on that particular bandwagon so long most of my post is sent there but I've enjoyed lots of new company in the past few weeks.

GB1919

Back to top Go down

Post by TM Moot Tue 04 Oct 2011, 11:43 am

I know you said its based on skill, but i'd have Brady, Brees and Rodgers clear in Tier 1.

Rivers needs to do it in post-season (ideally get a ring) to join that group imho.

Conversely, Big Ben could be in Tier 1, if only due to 2 SB wins.

TM Moot

Back to top Go down

Post by wadey101 Tue 04 Oct 2011, 11:51 am

I actually disagree with GB and would have Romo up a tier in Tier 2. Would also probably have Ryan and Freeman in Tier 2 with Fitzpatrick and Newton dropping to Tier 3. Would have Orton in Tier 3 as well despite his bad start.

wadey101

Back to top Go down

Post by GB1919 Tue 04 Oct 2011, 12:16 pm

wadey101 wrote:I actually disagree with GB and would have Romo up a tier in Tier 2. Would also probably have Ryan and Freeman in Tier 2 with Fitzpatrick and Newton dropping to Tier 3. Would have Orton in Tier 3 as well despite his bad start.

If I had to pick a QB to win one game with all the pressure that a best-of-one-game series brings, which is basically what every NFL team is trying to do, Romo would be way down on my list. It used to be that he hadn't showed he could do this. Now it's that he has showed that he can't do it.

GB1919

Back to top Go down

Post by GangGreen Tue 04 Oct 2011, 12:21 pm

I reckon Big Ben should be in tier 1. Just because he is a different type of QB to Brees & Brady you can't say he is any less effective.

Based on what we've seen so far I have no problem with Newton being in Tier 2, he's done absolutely everything his team need from him accept win (I know this sounds like an odd statement but he cant really be held accountable for a lack of team talent)

Orton has some talent but I just would just never trust him to go out there any win a game.

Sanchez in Tier 3 is where he belongs at the moment but I'm preying he starts to climb up this season. Sunday was embarassing but the O-line was shocking and he has put up decent numbers weeks 1-3

GangGreen

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Tue 04 Oct 2011, 1:41 pm

GangGreen wrote:I reckon Big Ben should be in tier 1. Just because he is a different type of QB to Brees & Brady you can't say he is any less effective.

Based on what we've seen so far I have no problem with Newton being in Tier 2, he's done absolutely everything his team need from him accept win (I know this sounds like an odd statement but he cant really be held accountable for a lack of team talent)

Orton has some talent but I just would just never trust him to go out there any win a game.

Sanchez in Tier 3 is where he belongs at the moment but I'm preying he starts to climb up this season. Sunday was embarassing but the O-line was shocking and he has put up decent numbers weeks 1-3

Seriously, how can you have Newton in Tier 2? Firstly, he's played four game. That's right, four. Secondly, yes he's thrown for a lot of yards, but he's also made a lot of mistakes. The Panthers may well have been in it against the Packers were it not for Newton combusting. Thirdly, if we're going to rush-judge him, he seems to have "Romo syndrome". He hasn't shown the ability to go out there and close out a game when his team are up against it, something that Matt Ryan and Josh Freeman have done many times already.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by adams_legend Tue 04 Oct 2011, 2:11 pm

I think that Manning should be in teir 2, he has done more than most the people in that teir.

adams_legend

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Tue 04 Oct 2011, 2:27 pm

Rivers is not tier 1. Big Ben is. He has an atrocious OL and that came home to roost at the weekend. Put him in NE or NO and he'd produce for them.

Newton may develop into a tier 2 QB by end of season, but he's not there yet. Smith is an underrated WR and has put up the majority of the yardage Newton's thrown for. I've seen him wide open twice and Newton under threw him twice, leading to 1 instead of 2 TD's. Between Smith and Newton's running ability, Newton looks a better QB than he is. So far.

Flacco is not tier 2. Too many screw ups for that. Stafford isn't either, as Megatron makes him look good. He threw into triple coverage Sunday and got a TD because he has an incredible target to aim for, not because he made the right choice.

Romo is tier 4. I seriously cannot see why there's a love in for the guy. His receivers have made him look better than he is. Just look at some of the catches Austin and Bryant have pulled off. He threw away the game Sunday when they had it in the bag. Can't say I'm sorry. Wink

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Tue 04 Oct 2011, 3:19 pm

First an major comment... get Cam back into tier 4 until he has played a full season.

Romo is fine as a Tier 3 QB. I don't see the rush by a lot of people above to lower him to a Tier 4. I'd take him over Hasselbeck and Sanchex who you have in Tier 3 as well.

I think realistically there needs to be a tier 1 and a half containing say,
Rivers, Roethlisberger and Vick.
I'd have them a notch above the others in group 2 (obviously Rivers is down slightly from group 1). Would consider Stafford in this new tier if he keeps going the way he is, but the injury history takes over for me and gives him a limited history of top notch play. Thus tier 2 as it is is the tops he could be rated

Flacco would come down a tier into #3. Ryan and Freeman would go up into Tier 2.

Thats my current opinion.

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBrownTown Tue 04 Oct 2011, 3:58 pm

I'd say move down McNabb and possibly Alex Smith. And Gabbert hasn't done that badly, I think he may become a good QB

TheBrownTown

Back to top Go down

Post by cherriesfna Tue 04 Oct 2011, 4:48 pm

due to popular demand cam newton has been demoted Sad
secondly i stick by big ben being i tier two at tier one QB woulnd have melted down like ben did in week 1 until he can prove he can play well in those curcumstances he stays
also river has been demoted
cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Post by cherriesfna Tue 04 Oct 2011, 4:52 pm

TheBrownTown wrote:I'd say move down McNabb and possibly Alex Smith. And Gabbert hasn't done that badly, I think he may become a good QB
gabbert will go up but a completion percentage in the 30s is why he is in tier 5 at the monent chages will be made depending on preformances
cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Tue 04 Oct 2011, 4:55 pm

What a shock the Rivers doesn't have a ring argument came out.... Sad

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by wadey101 Tue 04 Oct 2011, 5:10 pm

For me it doesn't matter if Rivers has a ring or not. In American sports too much emphasis put on what a player has won when it comes to comparing players ability. It's a TEAM sport so it's not just the quaterback that decides if the team wins a championship.

wadey101

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Tue 04 Oct 2011, 5:47 pm

Q. What's the difference between Grossman and Romo? Both have a habit of blowing leads and turning the ball over, but one of them led his team to the big game and the other has been expected to do so and so far disappointed. Frankly if you put one of them in a tier, you have to put the other in the same.

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by wadey101 Tue 04 Oct 2011, 6:58 pm

So the fact that Grossman had an elite defence while Romo has constantly had defences that has let the team down has nothing to do with it?

In my opinion Romo is a far better QB than Grossman but I can understand why people critisize him.

wadey101

Back to top Go down

Post by GB1919 Tue 04 Oct 2011, 9:33 pm

Derbyblue wrote:What a shock the Rivers doesn't have a ring argument came out.... Sad

Sorry, but I did acknowledge what I was doing and provide the caveat that overall postseason record was more important. Despite that it still annoyed me that Rodgers was spoken of the same way this time last year with no ring and a losing postseason record Whistle .

GB1919

Back to top Go down

Post by cherriesfna Tue 04 Oct 2011, 10:09 pm

should i do a weekly QB power rankings?
cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Post by GB1919 Tue 04 Oct 2011, 10:18 pm

Feel free, you'll need a thick skin. This topic always gets people commenting.

GB1919

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Tue 04 Oct 2011, 10:19 pm

Ah this old chestnut !
I called Rodgers elite (tier 1) 2 years and got ridiculed because he didn't have a ring - he now has a ring but I'm not convinced he's even better than he was in 2009 (behind that O-line !), but I guess owning a ring proves you can handle all the pressure that superbowls create.

Personally my teir 1 would have the 3 you mention plus P Manning (he's out but still a tier 1 QB) and Rivers.

Harsh judgement on Kyle Orton as well I think.

Cherries - a weekly ranking is a great idea

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by Forward Pass Tue 04 Oct 2011, 11:26 pm

IMO Rivers isn't in the same league as Brady/Brees/Rodgers/Manning.P
But is certainly in next group including Ben

Agree with most posts Newton is doing great but at the moment only tier 3 or 4 . Romo is tier 3 [will never win us a SB]

Any weeekly rankings are fun to debate
Forward Pass
Forward Pass

Back to top Go down

Post by GurTPL Wed 05 Oct 2011, 3:12 pm

Stafford is a fraud, IMO (I actually think the Lions as a team are a fraud, but that's a separate topic). Take Calvin away from him and give him to Freeman, Eli, Ryan or Hasselbeck and they'd all equal if not better what Stafford's done with him this year.

I'm not going to go as far with Schaub, but I think without AJ he's borderline - something we'll be able to find out over the next 2-3 weeks.

Got a question for cherriesfan - is your tier system based on 2011 alone, or did you take into account past performances? If it's including pass performances, Fitzpatrick doesn't belong in the second tier; if it's this season alone, Rivers is borderline tiers 2-3 IMO

GurTPL

http://pullinglinemen.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed 05 Oct 2011, 3:19 pm

Stafford is lucky he has such a good receiver,he doesn't have to throw as accurate a pass when he has megatron. If you look at his throw on Sunday for the second TD it wasn't great neither was his throw for Calvin's second TD against the Bucs. Megatron can just reach up for it so he knows he can throw it poorly and probably get away with it.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by GurTPL Wed 05 Oct 2011, 3:43 pm

exactly. watching that 2nd TD in particular, I remember thinking, "they really need to start drafting 6'5" corners". I don't care how good a corner you are, height isn't coachable. No corner can out-reach Megatron, and with the pass interference rule because Mel Blount killed too many people, and now the whole defenceless receiver rules brought in last offseason... I really don't see how it's actually possible at all to stop a pass to Calvin save hoping Stafford underthrows.

Note: I'm not complaining about the new rules per se, I definitely think that the game does have to be made safer, I'm just baffled as to how anyone can stop Megatron with those rules

GurTPL

http://pullinglinemen.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dancingweeman Wed 05 Oct 2011, 3:47 pm

Thomond - rather than throwing bad passes, couldn't it be a case of him throwing it high because he knows the only person who's likely to be able to make a play on it is Johnson?

I reckon if you put Wes Welker on the Lions team and had Stafford throwing to him he wouldn't throw the ball high, he'd be hitting him on the numbers.

I just think Stafford throws to his receivers strengths.

I'd have him at the top of tier 3/lower part of tier 2.

dancingweeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Wed 05 Oct 2011, 3:58 pm

Forward Pass wrote:IMO Rivers isn't in the same league as Brady/Brees/Rodgers/Manning.P
But is certainly in next group including Ben

Agree with most posts Newton is doing great but at the moment only tier 3 or 4 . Romo is tier 3 [will never win us a SB]

Any weeekly rankings are fun to debate

Of course these threads are all about opinions and no-one is right/wrong, but Rivers is often maligned for the wrong reasons, yes he can be a c0ck, but that doesn't mean he isn't a top quality QB.
Some may be surprised to learn that he has a higher career QB passer rating than Brady and Manning...

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed 05 Oct 2011, 4:00 pm

His throw on Sunday was a pretty bad throw but Megatron was always going to get there. When the Bucs played the Lions I wouldn't have said Talib played that bad but he still conceded 2 TDs. Johnson is about 3 to 4 inches higher than most corners of course he is going to beat them in the air. Stafford doesn't have to be good to get the ball to Johnson. I have heard it's like Montana to Rice, unstoppable.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by cherriesfna Wed 05 Oct 2011, 5:04 pm

GurTPL wrote:
Got a question for cherriesfan - is your tier system based on 2011 alone, or did you take into account past performances? If it's including pass performances, Fitzpatrick doesn't belong in the second tier; if it's this season alone, Rivers is borderline tiers 2-3 IMO
mainly this year but starting next week i might be doing a weekly power ranking which will be this year alone
cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Thu 06 Oct 2011, 11:42 am

dancingweeman wrote:Thomond - rather than throwing bad passes, couldn't it be a case of him throwing it high because he knows the only person who's likely to be able to make a play on it is Johnson?
I agree with this, when you have a receiver like Johnson you know most of the time he's coming down with the ball in his hands, but to make sure why not throw it to where only he will be able to make a play? Sure it was a bad idea to throw to Johnson when in that coverage but if it wasn't Calvin Johnson I highly doubt Stafford would have thrown the ball to that receiver.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeygnfl Thu 06 Oct 2011, 12:30 pm

I was going to put up a 'what do you think of Cam Newton' thread but then this came up.

I think he has been overhyped so far on the yardage he has thrown (twice over 400 in his first two games) but the Panthers have a 1-3 record.

On yardage he is a top four QB so far but he has only 5 TD passes compared to Brady 13, Brees 10 and Rodgers 12 and their teams have 3-1, 3-1 and 4-0 records respectively.

Newton doesn't appear to be able to control games yet or drive up field. In terms of TD passes he is down in 18th.
mikeygnfl
mikeygnfl

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Fri 07 Oct 2011, 3:08 pm

I always prefer to look at a QB's rating, despite it being a bit of a loose measure. Not that think it should define a QB, but its a good indication of success. In the end though its just a statistical measure. The numbers don't tell the whole story.

Newton is a good case for looking behind the numbers. Anyone will tell you, 5 80 yard drives will give you 400 yards, but if you don't convert those drives to points, the 400 yards is virtually meaningless. Given that though, its worth remembering Newton is almost a big a rushing threat as Vick, and you combine the 2 and have a very dangerous player - 4 TD's and a 4.0 avg. on the ground is pretty damn good for a QB in a season, never mind 4 games. The Panthers problem is they haven't punched it in often enough, but more importantly, they haven't stopped other teams scoring on them. I take back some of my skepticism about Newton. With the right cast supporting him, he can be a damned good QB.

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Tue 11 Oct 2011, 4:35 pm

So would most people say the Chargers got the better deal over the Eli Rivers draft?

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by GangGreen Tue 11 Oct 2011, 5:11 pm

Thats a tough question, you can look at the stats and say that yes Rivers is the better QB and the one I would choose out of those two but Eli has won the big one.

GangGreen

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Tue 11 Oct 2011, 8:40 pm

Chargers probably got the better deal because you can compare Rivers better production and offset that with Eli's Superbowl etc.

However San Diego also got a few handy players with the extra picks including Shawne Merriman who was good for a couple of years and Nate Keading who is a top kicker. That probably tips the trade in the favor of the Chargers.

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by arizona_tom Tue 11 Oct 2011, 10:15 pm

Chargers definetly got the better deal, this week watch both players play and youl see!
Also thought id say that jay cutlers definetly moved in to tier 2, he playing in that shocking offence is still making plays and has to be regarded as a better qb than flacco and maybe schaub

arizona_tom

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down