The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Quarter Final Number 1 - Ireland vs Wales - WALES ARE IN The Semis

+37
HammerofThunor
flyhalffactory
Taffineastbourne
doctor_grey
TycroesOsprey
littlejohn
Standulstermen
Shifty
Cymroglan
Feckless Rogue
D24tress
Sin é
ME-109
Ferris+O'Brien+Heaslip
MunsterMac
Eclipse
BlueNote
Comfort
westisbest
Ozzy3213
andy powells minder
Rava
Mickado
Cari
Luckless Pedestrian
caoimhincentre
rodders
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
dummy_switch_pop
mystiroakey
Thomond
Glas a du
RubyGuby
Artful_Dodger
majesticimperialman
Biltong
maestegmafia
41 posters

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Who will win

Quarter Final Number 1 - Ireland vs Wales - WALES ARE IN The Semis - Page 2 Vote_lcap37%Quarter Final Number 1 - Ireland vs Wales - WALES ARE IN The Semis - Page 2 Vote_rcap 37% 
[ 26 ]
Quarter Final Number 1 - Ireland vs Wales - WALES ARE IN The Semis - Page 2 Vote_lcap63%Quarter Final Number 1 - Ireland vs Wales - WALES ARE IN The Semis - Page 2 Vote_rcap 63% 
[ 44 ]

Total Votes : 70

Poll closed

Quarter Final Number 1 - Ireland vs Wales - WALES ARE IN The Semis - Page 2 Empty Quarter Final Number 1 - Ireland vs Wales - WALES ARE IN The Semis

Post by maestegmafia Tue 04 Oct 2011, 9:28 pm

First topic message reminder :

Well played Ireland...!

Last edited by maestegmafia on Sat 08 Oct 2011, 8:20 am; edited 8 times in total (Reason for editing : UPdating)

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Quarter Final Number 1 - Ireland vs Wales - WALES ARE IN The Semis - Page 2 Empty Re: Quarter Final Number 1 - Ireland vs Wales - WALES ARE IN The Semis

Post by Ozzy3213 Wed 05 Oct 2011, 10:04 am

Folks

The banter between Wales and Ireland fans has been good this week, and not been overstepping to abuse or outright pointless WUMMING. Just a gentle reminder to keep it as banter having now had a couple of reports about comments getting close to overstepping the mark on this and other threads.

Cheers all, best of luck to both teams for the weekend.
thumbsup
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Quarter Final Number 1 - Ireland vs Wales - WALES ARE IN The Semis - Page 2 Empty Re: Quarter Final Number 1 - Ireland vs Wales - WALES ARE IN The Semis

Post by maestegmafia Wed 05 Oct 2011, 10:05 am

biltongbek wrote:I am actually being truthful here, i really do think ireland will win.

Here are my reasons.

1.Wales have been looking in awesome form for the past few weeks, but form alone is not going to win the world cup.

I think the form is due to the Talented playerson the field and around them in the squad, good coaching and spending a decent amount of time doingthe right things in training to put the team in great shape going into the world cup.

biltongbek wrote:
2.Ireland has shown more calmness and guile in their approach to this RWC.

Thats subjective, I would say Wales have shown some remarkable level headedness, especially under Warburtons leadership. Patient, composed and very threatening because of it.

biltongbek wrote:
3.Ireland has shown in the dmoestic club competitions that their players know how to win knock out matches.

Yep, Wales have won more International rugby competitions in that same period than Ireland. Its swings and round abouts

biltongbek wrote:
4.Comparing players is futile, it is subjective and achieves very little.

That actually has nothing to do with whether Ireland are going to win or Wales are...

biltongbek wrote:
5.As a captain warburton is still very inexperienced and could most likley make the wrong decisions at crucial times, just look at McCaw 4 years ago, great player but not there yet in 2007.

True, but the likely side to play Ireland will have plenty of other leaders in the side, Gethin Jenkins, Alun Wynn Jones, Ryan Jones have all captained Wales at senior level. Not really a worry at all.

biltongbek wrote:
6. Wales had good performances in the pools, forget about Fiji and Namibia those were routs. They could have beaten SA but they didn't and they could easily have lost against Samoa, in contrast to that Ireland have not once looked out of control.

Likewise can be said of SAmoa and SA in Pool D, Samoa could as easily gone through top as Wales and SA. They didn't. It was all very close with only a matter of points in it.

In contrast Ireland had a very easy group with only two real challengers, themselves and the Aussies. Ireland did look like second seeds until the last quarter against Australia. Likewise South Africa looked like second seeds until the last Quarter against Wales.

I have seen a lot of South Africans since the Wales vs SA game at the start of the tournament and they are all very rattled by Wales. They really struggle to fathom that there is not a massive gap between the 3Ns and the 6Ns that there was previously.

It surprises me that such a passionate rugby nation can also be such a blinkered dis respectful one too...!

Last edited by maestegmafia on Wed 05 Oct 2011, 10:40 am; edited 1 time in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed 05 Oct 2011, 10:06 am

RubyGuby wrote:I'll just comment on 2 Bilton

"Ireland has shown more calmness and guile in their approach to this RWC.:" I take it you missed the warm ups and the USA game where we would have put 50 on them

"Ireland has shown in the domestic club competitions that their players know how to win knock out matches." : This is the golden generation that has won 1 Grand Slam instead of the 3-4 they should have won (ask any Irish fan) This suggests that they often choke at international level when it matters

Lots of arguments for and against here with Ireland at their peak and the welsh team continuing to rise. I just think we'll blow them away up front, honestly, I do. thumbsup

How many GS near misses were Healy, Ross, Ferris, O’Brien, Reddan, Murray, Sexton, Kearney etc. involved in?

There are young players on the Ireland team that don’t know how to choke.

As for the notion that Wales would have put 50 points on USA, I could just as easily say Ireland would have beaten South Africa, it’s all academic and it’s the least relevant game of our world cup campaign. We’re building momentum now, the USA game is a distant memory which we won!

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed 05 Oct 2011, 10:07 am

This is going to be a hell of a tough game for both sides.

I think its the toughest QF to call.

Would love to see us get to our first ever semi final.

I will say, that whoever wins I fancy to make it to the final.

Both teams playing better than England & France, confidence is high in both camps.

Gonna be a great game, dare I ask is 6am to early for a guinness .

Ah hell no, and if we do win then they'll be plenty flowing through out the rest of the day.

I dont want to think about defeat, but if it happens then there isnt a team I would rather lose to.

But I still fancy us Wink

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Wed 05 Oct 2011, 10:07 am

Whatever happens...I just want to say...

...I'll still be fond of the Irish and Ireland...

...still love my Irish pals...

...continue to support my Gaelic team...

...fancy Tommy Bowe and David Wallace...

...love listening to Alan Quinlan's commentary...

...but more so after a Welsh win! Wink drumroll

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 05 Oct 2011, 10:08 am

RubyGuby wrote:I'll just comment on 2 Bilton

"Ireland has shown more calmness and guile in their approach to this RWC.:" I take it you missed the warm ups and the USA game where we would have put 50 on them

"Ireland has shown in the domestic club competitions that their players know how to win knock out matches." : This is the golden generation that has won 1 Grand Slam instead of the 3-4 they should have won (ask any Irish fan) This suggests that they often choke at international level when it matters

Lots of arguments for and against here with Ireland at their peak and the welsh team continuing to rise. I just think we'll blow them away up front, honestly, I do. thumbsup

rubyguby, the warm ups don't matter anymore, and having the theoretic ability to have beaten another team by more points than the Irish did means absolutely squat. you didn't play USA and can there for only theorise as to what would have transpired in that match if you were to play them.

You beat Fiji by more points than we did, does that make you a better team?

Well there is only one answer to that and it is no, otherwise you would have won the pool. It is incomprehesible to me that I often see these arguments of we beat this team by so many and you didn't so there for we are better. different day, different conditions, different referee, different time of a competition.

Hug
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 05 Oct 2011, 10:12 am

maestegmafia wrote:
In contrast Ireland had a very easy group with only two real challengers, themselves and the Aussies.

Pool C contained 3 tier 1 sides, including the tri Nations champions, whereas Pool B contained two tier 1 sides, one being an out of sorts SA side who have since refound their form.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 05 Oct 2011, 10:16 am

Bilton - My views carry as much weight as yours and everyone elses, probably a lot more in some cases and I'm happy with that - If Ireland and others think they are well ahead then Im also very happy with that thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 05 Oct 2011, 10:20 am

RubyGuby wrote:I take it you missed the warm ups and the USA game where we would have put 50 on them

There's no way of knowing that, is there?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by caoimhincentre Wed 05 Oct 2011, 10:20 am

RubyGuby wrote:Bilton - My views carry as much weight as yours and everyone elses, probably a lot more in some cases and I'm happy with that - If Ireland and others think they are well ahead then Im also very happy with that thumbsup

A bit condescending there aren't you.

Just because you choose to ignore other peoples opinions doesnt make you right.

Think pretty much every irish person on here has said it will be close barr one or two WUMS.

caoimhincentre

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 05 Oct 2011, 10:20 am

I want to give you guys something to think about.

In 1995 south africa had to beat australia the then defending champions to have the easier route to the final.

By beating australia we missed the half where England and New Zealand were.

We played samoa in the quarters and France in the semi, went into the final as big underdogs but managed to beat NZ.

Ireland has many similarities in this world cup.

They had to beat OZ to get on the other side of the draw, instead of playing the defending champions they play wales, and might yet play france to meet most likely NZ in the final.

Deja Vu?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 05 Oct 2011, 10:23 am

RubyGuby wrote:Bilton - My views carry as much weight as yours and everyone elses, probably a lot more in some cases and I'm happy with that - If Ireland and others think they are well ahead then Im also very happy with that thumbsup
RubyGuby, you know I respect your opinions, but if i don't agree with your reasoning i am going to say so.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 05 Oct 2011, 10:24 am

That's interesting, Biltong, I like that.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 05 Oct 2011, 10:32 am

I wouldn't expect anything else B - And by the way these teams have NEVER played against each other so there are no precedents in reality - Think about that thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed 05 Oct 2011, 10:32 am

In fairness, there’s no point in reasoning anything when it comes to sport. Reason and logic rarely have anything to do with it.

Logically Ireland should have lost to Australia. Logically we shouldn’t have lost 4 warm up games. Logically Henson should have taken the last minute penalty in 2009.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 05 Oct 2011, 10:35 am

Yep, and logic says if I had a wealthy father, I would not be at work today.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 05 Oct 2011, 10:54 am

Shaun Edwards Welsh Defence Coach wrote:It is a one-off chance to do something which probably I don't think any of these lads have done before, which is playing in a World Cup semi-final.

I don't think even the great Brian O'Driscoll has done that.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 05 Oct 2011, 11:00 am

Mickado wrote:

How many GS near misses were Healy, Ross, Ferris, O’Brien, Reddan, Murray, Sexton, Kearney etc. involved in?

There are young players on the Ireland team that don’t know how to choke.
How many GS near misses were Healy, Ross, Ferris, O’Brien, Reddan, Murray and Sexton involved in - Answer = NONE

Kearney has the experience of ONE

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 05 Oct 2011, 11:02 am

biltongbek wrote:I want to give you guys something to think about.

In 1995 south africa had to beat australia the then defending champions to have the easier route to the final.

We played samoa in the quarters and France in the semi, went into the final as big underdogs but managed to beat NZ.

They had to beat OZ to get on the other side of the draw, instead of playing the defending champions they play wales, and might yet play france to meet most likely NZ in the final.

Deja Vu?
The difference is that in 1995 Australia were a solid and rightfully respected team. In 2011 Australia are rather more wayward. Most Northern Hemisphere teams expect to give SA and Australia a run for their money, and we often do. Some NH teams even beat them once in a while.

The ABS are a different matter.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 05 Oct 2011, 11:03 am

maestegmafia wrote:

Was Kearney involved in 2007?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 05 Oct 2011, 11:05 am

maestegmafia wrote:The difference is that in 1995 Australia were a solid and rightfully respected team. In 2011 Australia are rather more wayward.

You don't respect this Australian side? This Australian side are in much better form than the 1995 side, who even Campese said had no hunger or passion they were so poor.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed 05 Oct 2011, 11:06 am

roddersm wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Maybe involved but Murphy or Dempsey started every game.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 05 Oct 2011, 11:08 am

Gareth Griffiths Article from the Western Mail on the Back row battle...!

THEY have six appeal, and they’ve got their countries in seventh heaven by reaching the last eight of the World Cup.

It’s no small wonder the Welsh and Irish back-rows, those vital six-seven-eight units, hold the key to who’ll be on cloud nine come Saturday morning in Wellington.

The young Welsh trio of Dragons duo Dan Lydiate and Toby Faletau, flanked by Wales’ own captain marvel Sam Warburton, will tackle their grizzled Irish counterparts in the quarter-final showdown in New Zealand.

It will be one monumental task because Ulster enforcer Stephen Ferris, Lions Test star Jamie Heaslip and Sean O’Brien, the rampaging European player of the year, are the men standing in their way, a mouthwatering contest which poses so many unanswered questions.

Will Warburton clean up at the breakdown, or can O’Brien’s barnstorming ball-carrying ability shine through?

Will the experience of Heaslip overshadow Faletau’s youthful exuberance? And will Lydiate overcome Ferris in the battle of the defensive hard men?

Who better to answer these posers than Simon Easterby, the former Irish flanker and Scarlets forwards coach.

Easterby believes the Irish trio will have the advantage in the ball-carrying department, but that Wales can prosper at the breakdown.

“This promises to be a fascinating contest,” said Easterby, who has been in West Wales now as player and then coach for 12 years.

“There are little match-ups and battles that are going to go on throughout the game.

“Whoever wins more of those can help their team achieve victory.

“If one player can outplay their opposite number and either team gets ahead in the individual tussles, then that team more often than not will win.”

However, Easterby stressed it’s what happens in front of the back-row that is vital.

“There is nothing worse than trying to get into the game if your front five is getting beaten up or not getting parity,” he said.

“I think the Irish back-row has a little more bite in their attacking rugby and with ball in hand.

“O’Brien, Heaslip and Ferris are three of the best ball-carrying back-rowers around at the moment.

“But maybe that’s not so much the case with their work on the ground, that is perhaps where Warburton can steal a bit of a march on them,

“Warburton and Lydiate need to effect the speed of Irelands’s ball, slow it down to stop the likes of Heaslip and O’Brien coming around the corner on those runs they have been making.

“But Wales have that ability.”

Easterby believes the key to the game’s overall outcome could be in a battle of contrasting styles. In other words, will the Irish forwards be more influential than the Welsh backs?

“Looking at the potential two teams I like the look of Ireland’s pack over Wales,” added Easterby.

“With Gethin Jenkins back fit, Wales’ pack will feel they have an advantage in the tight, but Ireland have flipped the way we look at them up front with Mike Ross and Cian Healy having come in and done particularly well.

“Rory Best is a doubt which is a blow for Ireland because he is a strong scrummager, but Wales are missing Matthew Rees who is probably one of the best scrummaging hookers in the world.

“Although Ireland do have plenty of experience in the back line I think the sharpness of some of those Welsh backs, if they get parity up front, could get the edge.

“But I do like the look of Wales’ backs, they are playing with a lot of confidence.

“They are getting the ball in the hands of Jamie Roberts and George North and they are looking sharp, like they are enjoying their rugby.”

Easterby believes the Celtic clash may not be one for purists but more likely a tight, tetchy affair.

“I am sure there will be plenty of niggle,” he added

“They play each other week-in, week-out, in the league and there is plenty of history as well in the Six Nations to contend with.

“There is nothing the Wales players won’t know about the Irish and vice-versa.

“It is like playing against your brother, you know strengths and weaknesses.

“But I reckon it is going to be a fascinating 80 minutes of rugby. Both sides are mentally strong.

“Ireland are used to winning big games, but Wales have also won a couple of Grand Slams in recent years

“Wales will have been severely dented mentally against South Africa in one aspect – that they didn’t win the game.

“But they will have taken a lot of confidence from the fact that they pushed the world champions so close and Wales have just got better and better.

“Look, it is just too tight to call and will come down to the day.

“They are all going to want it the same amount, but it is going to be about who is accurate and smart.”

Easterby has warned Wales that Ireland are looking to bury the ghosts of 2007 after they failed to reach the last eight.

“It is plain Ireland underachieved then,” he added.

“We came off the back of a very good Six Nations and hit a brick wall and got a lot of things wrong.

“I think Ireland have looked at that, they haven’t had great form going into the tournament.

“But they went to Queenstown, they didn’t get into some of the off-the-field stuff, England took that pressure off them and Ireland just got on with the job.

“I have spoken to a couple of the players, they enjoyed Queenstown but they knew they had a job to do.

“Players like O’Gara, O’Connell, O’Driscoll, O’Callaghan, saw this World Cup as a bit of redemption, to make up for what happened in 2007.

“They have done that so far, but they won’t be happy going out in the quarter-finals or even the semi-finals, they will be happy with taking an opportunity to go all the way.

“It is great Ireland have this opportunity, but they have a huge hurdle to overcome in Wales.”

Easterby admits he will have mixed emotions on Saturday morning.

He is a proud Irishman who won 65 caps for his country but his best man at his wedding was Wales outside-half Stephen Jones, while he works with the young Scarlets stars.

To cap it all, he has made his home in Wales and married Sarra, the daughter of former Wales wing Elgan Rees.

“It is real difficult one to call and I am sitting on the fence,” added Easterby.

“I will be pleased if Ireland get through to the semi-final and I will also be over the moon if the Scarlets players get through to the semis.

“I am not going to lie to you, I want Ireland to win because that is where my heart is. But it will be a fantastic experience for our Scarlets players to make the semi-final. The only issue I have got is that they are going to be away for another couple of weeks if they do!”

Dan Lydiate gets to grips with Jamie Heaslip
Dan Lydiate v Stephen Ferris

THERE is a little question mark about this particular battle because we don’t know how fit Dan is.

If he does not play then Ryan Jones comes in, who is a different type of player.

If Dan does face Stephen, out of the three back-row battles, they are probably the two most matched because both players are quite similar.

There is not much between the pair of them.

If those two face up to each other, there will be some real collisions because they are both big, physical guys.

They are both quick and comfortable with the ball in hand and making an impact with offensive tackles.

Dan does carry the ball well, but he is also very strong in the tackle, while Ferris is a little bit more explosive.

Sam Warburton v Sean O'Brien

THESE two players have shone so far but have very contrasting styles.

Sam has proved himself as a fantastic leader at such a young age. He is more in the mould of a Richie McCaw, who is strong on the ball and effective at the breakdown.

Sam will carry the ball but maybe that is not his strength. This is definitely Sean O’Brien’s and we have seen him on those bullocking runs.

He is a difficult player to bring down and Shaun Edwards will have plans to negate his ball-carrying.

Sean is not a traditional openside in that sense but that isn’t much of an issue.

Ireland plan their game around that and O’Connell and O’Callaghan do the work of back rowers as well.

Ireland have a game-plan to release Sean with the ball in his hands. But he also needs to do the primary work of a No. 7 as well.

Toby Faletau v Jamie Heaslip

JAMIE has the edge in the experience stakes. He has possibly been overtaken in the ball-carrying stakes by the other two Irish back-rowers.

But he is good defensively, reads the game well and is good off the base.

Jamie probably makes better decisions than Toby at the moment because he has more experience.

But Toby has been outstanding and shone through in this tournament so far.

He is a looser player than the other Welsh back-rowers.

The Ireland game will be a big test for Toby and if the Irish pack gain the ascendancy, it will be interesting to see how he copes.

But if Toby himself has that platform, he can be as good as Jamie, if not better.

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-news/2011/10/05/rugby-world-cup-simon-easterby-backs-ireland-to-win-forwards-battle-over-wales-91466-29538474/2/#ixzz1ZttejRPd

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 05 Oct 2011, 11:09 am

Mickado wrote:
roddersm wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Maybe involved but Murphy or Dempsey started every game.
Kearneys first Cap was 2008

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 05 Oct 2011, 11:11 am

roddersm wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:The difference is that in 1995 Australia were a solid and rightfully respected team. In 2011 Australia are rather more wayward.

You don't respect this Australian side? This Australian side are in much better form than the 1995 side, who even Campese said had no hunger or passion they were so poor.

I respect them, but they are erratic. Brilliant one minute and dreadful the next. Loose to England one week then put 50 points on France the next.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 05 Oct 2011, 11:11 am

maestegmafia wrote:

Deja Vu?
The difference is that in 1995 Australia were a solid and rightfully respected team. In 2011 Australia are rather more wayward. Most Northern Hemisphere teams expect to give SA and Australia a run for their money, and we often do. Some NH teams even beat them once in a while.

Maesteg, australia came into this RWC as the Tri Nation champions.
Sa came into this RWc as the defending champions.

so to dismiss them outright is a little premature my friend.

As far as giving OZ and SA a run for their money, agreed there were some competitive matches in the last 4 years, but it is safe to say there is still a lot of work to be done for the NH.

Oz since the last RWc have played 12 tests in europe and won 8, lost 3, drew 1
Oz since the last world cup hase played 9 tests vs the six nation teams at home winning 8 losing 1.

in total it is still pretty dominant. 79% win rate.

SA since the last RWC has played 12 tests in europe winning 9 losing 3.
SA since the last world cup has played 6 tests against the six nation teams at home and won all six.

Once again pretty dominant. 83% win rate.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 05 Oct 2011, 11:15 am

maestegmafia wrote:Kearneys first Cap was 2008

What close 6N failure are you talking about then? We weren't even at the races in 2008 as we were at the end of EOS regime and a side in transition.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 05 Oct 2011, 11:16 am

biltongbek wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Deja Vu?

Maesteg, australia came into this RWC as the Tri Nation champions.
Sa came into this RWc as the defending champions.

so to dismiss them outright is a little premature my friend.

As far as giving OZ and SA a run for their money, agreed there were some competitive matches in the last 4 years, but it is safe to say there is still a lot of work to be done for the NH.

Oz since the last RWc have played 12 tests in europe and won 8, lost 3, drew 1
Oz since the last world cup hase played 9 tests vs the six nation teams at home winning 8 losing 1.

in total it is still pretty dominant. 79% win rate.

SA since the last RWC has played 12 tests in europe winning 9 losing 3.
SA since the last world cup has played 6 tests against the six nation teams at home and won all six.

Once again pretty dominant. 83% win rate.

Bill mate...

Look at it the other way round, in recent form Australia just beat the ABs then lost to Ireland, SA just beat the ABs then beat Wales by one point.

On current form I dont think a 79% or 83% success rate over the last four years means that currently SA or Australia are that much better than Wales, Ireland, England, France or even Argentina.

6 IRB Ranking points separate seven of the Quarter finalists. Considering teams like Wales and Argentina have had some atrocious loosing streaks over the last 12 months that is pretty damn close.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 05 Oct 2011, 11:17 am

roddersm wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:Kearneys first Cap was 2008

What close 6N failure are you talking about then? We weren't even at the races in 2008 as we were at the end of EOS regime and a side in transition.
Ireland won the Grandslam in 2009 mate. With Kearney.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Wed 05 Oct 2011, 11:19 am

roddersm wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
In contrast Ireland had a very easy group with only two real challengers, themselves and the Aussies.

Pool C contained 3 tier 1 sides, including the tri Nations champions, whereas Pool B contained two tier 1 sides, one being an out of sorts SA side who have since refound their form.

Funny SA have now refound their form, obvbiously they were totally in disarray against Wales and Wales still couldnt beat them. I mean most of the saffas were hopping around on one-leg with their arms behind their back singing the Supermarket Sweep theme tune and pretending to be Dale Winton........... Oh, and then we blamed the ref aswell, SA didnt beat us, it was definitely that kick that correctly didnt get referred to the TMO. I mean, its not as if SA have a good records in World cups either. God, those welsh guys are rubbish moaners.... Rolling Eyes

People say the English get arrogant, but I've struggled to see the sensible Irish posts through the tide of green self-importance.

Fancy coming down off your throne guys, you never know, the impossible may happen and we may, MAY just be able to put up with your experienced knock-out-pedigree BEAST of a team.

I give up, some people just cant handle Vegas. warning

Wales to win by 5. The same ball-boy to run on as the 16th man and stop SOB in the act of scoring, winning the turnover before sending North down the wing to score. raspberry

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 05 Oct 2011, 11:19 am

maestegmafia wrote:Ireland won the Grandslam in 2009 mate. With Kearney.

Headscratch OK I'm confused . The point was about which Irish players who had experiened GS near misses. I.e. choked, which was a suggestion made by Ruby, that we were chokers.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 05 Oct 2011, 11:24 am

Maesteg true, but one thing I have learnt over the past few years is that form is as unpredicatble as the weather in auckland, as PDV says they get 5 seasons in one day.

With the injuries players get these days it is rare to see a team put their best 15 out onto the pitch.

Oz didn't have Ioane, Moore and Pocock in theri match against Ireland, now I don't think that is the reason they lost, but it does affect a team when that happens.

So overall it is always difficult to predict form due to these injuries and obviously other factors as well.

As far as world ranking points are concerned they really don't mean much to me at all.

SA played two tri nation tests with a second string team and lost those two matches by more than 15 points, that severely affects ranking points.

Ireland played their warm up matches with such a mix and match group that their performances caused them to drop from i think 4th to 6th.

On top of that you get double points for RWC, so overall it really doesn't tell me which team will win.

Last edited by biltongbek on Wed 05 Oct 2011, 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 05 Oct 2011, 11:24 am

Comfort wrote:

People say the English get arrogant, but I've struggled to see the sensible Irish posts through the tide of green self-importance.

Fancy coming down off your throne guys, you never know, the impossible may happen and we may, MAY just be able to put up with your experienced knock-out-pedigree BEAST of a team.

Wales to win by 5.

There's something very ironic about this post.

It's the(some) Welsh posters who are going round disrestpecting all the other sides.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 05 Oct 2011, 11:28 am

roddersm wrote:

Headscratch OK I'm confused . The point was about which Irish players who had experiened GS near misses. I.e. choked, which was a suggestion made by Ruby, that we were chokers.
I saw the thread as stating that the players, (Healy, Ross, Ferris, O’Brien, Reddan, Murray and Sexton), mentioned had all had tough GS experience. They haven't bar Kearney who was part of a team that was in contention and won.

Ireland are good side, well respected by Wales too. THey are always a tough game, and we have recently taken more hammerings from them than we have dished out.

But I dont think that either side has a massive upper-hand going into this, it will be a tough match, the toughest so far for both sides.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 05 Oct 2011, 11:28 am

roddersm wrote:
Comfort wrote:

Wales to win by 5.

It's the(some) Welsh posters who are going round disrestpecting all the other sides.

Hey guys

Give it a rest would you... There is no disrespect here.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 05 Oct 2011, 11:32 am

maestegmafia wrote:
roddersm wrote:

I saw the thread as stating that the players, (Healy, Ross, Ferris, O’Brien, Reddan, Murray and Sexton), mentioned had all had tough GS experience. They haven't bar Kearney who was part of a team that was in contention and won.

OK sorry crossed wires then. Ferris was part of the slam winning side too.

The point was about the above players not being part of a side who failed to win a GS in a tight 6N.

A match between the two top 7 sides is never going to be anything other than a close match. I don't think either of these sides are chokers.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed 05 Oct 2011, 11:33 am

maestegmafia, i was actually making the opposite point. That the players mentioned hadn't lost out on grand slams when they should have won them (like the older players in the squad).

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_switch_pop Wed 05 Oct 2011, 11:35 am

I do fear if it turns into a kicking contest in wet and windy conditions Ireland may have the edge.

However, expect Ronan O'Gara to get acquainted with George North this weekend. I see him running lines late off 9/10, straight at ROG.

He's still young and not had the publicity of say Tuilagi for England, but Ireland should underrate him at their peril. If I was picking a world VX right now, he's the only Welsh player that would be a shoe in for me.

dummy_switch_pop

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 05 Oct 2011, 11:37 am

dummy, there is some stiff competition for wings ina world XV mate.

Just look at Oz and NZ
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 05 Oct 2011, 11:37 am

roddersm wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
roddersm wrote:

OK sorry crossed wires then. Ferris was part of the slam winning side too.

The point was about the above players not being part of a side who failed to win a GS in a tight 6N.

A match between the two top 7 sides is never going to be anything other than a close match. I don't think either of these sides are chokers.

No I agree... THis will be like a great Six Nations exhibition match of the finest of Home Nations rugby going head to head in the World arena... Sure to be a great game. The winner will be deserved, the looser a harsh reality that someone has to go home early.

If Wales loose i will be devastated, whoever wins this match will be a finalist. I would rather it were Ireland than many other teams, I have had much admiration for the way that they have played with such spirit and candour for the last ten years.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Wed 05 Oct 2011, 11:38 am

dummy_switch_pop wrote:I do fear if it turns into a kicking contest in wet and windy conditions Ireland may have the edge.

However, expect Ronan O'Gara to get acquainted with George North this weekend. I see him running lines late off 9/10, straight at ROG.

He's still young and not had the publicity of say Tuilagi for England, but Ireland should underrate him at their peril. If I was picking a world VX right now, he's the only Welsh player that would be a shoe in for me.

I disagree that North hasn't had the publicity of Tuilagi to be honest. North was hyped by many before his inclusion, and has performed very well in the pool stages, so is unlikely to come in under the radar of any teams, and in particular Ireland, whose players and coaches will have come across him in the Magners League anyway.

The only Welsh player who I think could come under the radar a little is Scott Williams.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 05 Oct 2011, 11:40 am

I doubt anyone underestimates North. I think Roberts poses and equal if not greater threat and is in the form of his career.

I don't think either side will be concerned about the conditions. This is a much more structured Welsh side than the one who won the 2008 Slam and will be comfortable to play at tight game.

Likewise Ireland will want to spread the ball around and will need to adapt to the conditions. O'Gara actually kicks relatively little these days.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 05 Oct 2011, 11:47 am

Ozzy3213 wrote:

so is unlikely to come in under the radar of any teams, and in particular Ireland, whose players and coaches will have come across him in the Magners League anyway.

The only Welsh player who I think could come under the radar a little is Scott Williams.

Thats a good point. The idea that either of these sides will be able to catch the other out is nonsence. The idea that Wales will be caught out by the choke tackle or Irelands back row or Ireland will be blown away by Wales new found physicality and fitness or not able to deal with Warburton or North is ridiculous.

These teams and players know each other inside out. The team that takes their chances on the day and performs best will win and progress, there'll be very little unexpected about how these two sides approach the game.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Wed 05 Oct 2011, 11:51 am

The teams know each other very well rodders.

What I hope is that they concentrate on how to win the game by imposing their own gameplan on their opponents, as opposed to over analysing them and playing a gameplan designed to nullify. If both teams go with totally trying to nullify each other it could be a dour old affair.

Hopefully both teams will play, and we'll get a game that befits all the hype before it.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 05 Oct 2011, 11:53 am

Its one thing to be aware of something, its another to deal with it.
Australia must have seen Ireland demolish England, yet fell into exactly the same trap themselves.
Same goes for Johnson being aware of Hakell thinking hes still on a prep school rugby tour, didnt mean he could stop him getting up to innapropriate japes and wheezes..

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Wed 05 Oct 2011, 11:58 am

roddersm wrote:
Comfort wrote:

Wales to win by 5.

Really, do you need me to explain the difference? Paraphrasing "wales to win by 5" without including the rest of the sentance is akin to cutting off the bruised part of a banana to prove that it was horribly out of date when the rest of it was fine.

Im gonna try and stay off these boards until the game. Its starting to grate how childishly extreme and "my dads bigger than yours" people are getting. hugs and kisses. may the best teams win this weekend. Hug

(ps. last part not directly aimed at rodders guinness )

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 05 Oct 2011, 12:03 pm

Well come on then lets see you all nail your colours to the rig...

Who's your team and who is gonna win by what...?

1. G. Jenkins
2. H. Bennet
3. A. Jones
4. A.W. Jones
5. L. Charteris
6. D. Lydiate
7. S. Warburton (Capt.)
8. T. Faletau
9. M. Phillips
10. R. Priestland
11. G. North
12. J. Roberts
13. J. Davies
14. L. Halfpenny
15. L. Byrne

16. L. Burns
17. P. James
18. R. Jones
19. A. Powell
20. L. Williams
21. J. Hook
22. S. Williams

Wales by 9

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 05 Oct 2011, 12:05 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Its one thing to be aware of something, its another to deal with it.
Australia must have seen Ireland demolish England, yet fell into exactly the same trap themselves.

Yes thats the challenge for both teams. However the likes of North, Warburton and Roberts etc. aren't unknown quantities to the Irish players any more than O'Brien, Ferris and Murray are to the Welsh.

Both teams will have a plan but ultimately it will come down to who can dominate the set piece and breakdown and take their chances. I can't see either side having a big advantage over the other in any one area and both sides have quality players all over the pitch and on the bench.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueNote Wed 05 Oct 2011, 12:05 pm

I have to say, for me, Ireland have an edge in the back row.

Also, while a fit Gethin or Dan Lydiate are great, Geth himself said he was blowing after 20 mins in the Fiji game, and Lydiate has just been out for 3 weeks.

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 05 Oct 2011, 12:13 pm

BlueNote wrote:I have to say, for me, Ireland have an edge in the back row.

Maybe, maybe not. Wales may have the edge in the scrum and midfield but maybe they won't. Maybe O'Connell may dominate the Welsh lineout but maybe he won't.

I think we probably can guess were each side will target but I don't think that there are any obvious weaknesses in these two sides.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next