The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Merritt to be allowed to compete at the Olympic games

+4
md_fan
Strawberry Jam
ReallyReal
Mad for Chelsea
8 posters

Go down

Merritt to be allowed to compete at the Olympic games Empty Merritt to be allowed to compete at the Olympic games

Post by Mad for Chelsea Thu 06 Oct 2011, 5:25 am

The American 400 meter runner has won his appeal against the new IOC doping law which states that athletes who get banned for more than 6 months can not compete in the next Olympic Games. The argument was that this in effect equated to a three year ban, and goes beyond WADA regulations. Full article at

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/olympics/15196177.stm

Does this mean Millar and Chambers could be allowed to compete for GB? What do people think of this? Personally I think once again you are encourageing the dopers and cheats, as let's face it the ban for Merrittt turns out to have been hardly any ban at all (missed one season with no major championship for him anyway, conveniently his ban ended just before the Worlds and now he's going to be allowed to compete at the Olympics). Surely some firmness is needed to be shown towards the cheats who are tarnishing the sport?

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Merritt to be allowed to compete at the Olympic games Empty Re: Merritt to be allowed to compete at the Olympic games

Post by Guest Thu 06 Oct 2011, 5:42 am

The case sets a legal precedence for other challenges. Not sure whether the IOC will be able to hold back the floodgates so will have to allow drug users back in (those that have served out two years).

I think individual nations can choose who they please as long as the athletes have attained the qualifying times.

Back to top Go down

Merritt to be allowed to compete at the Olympic games Empty Re: Merritt to be allowed to compete at the Olympic games

Post by ReallyReal Thu 06 Oct 2011, 9:43 am

ReallyReal

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Jam Thu 06 Oct 2011, 3:57 pm

Time to let Dwain on the plane

except he don't need no plane cos Olympics is jus down the road .

SJ

Strawberry Jam

Back to top Go down

Post by md_fan Thu 06 Oct 2011, 5:00 pm

Dwain's got be feeling very hard done by. He has had a raw deal compared to almost every other former drug cheat on the planet. No Olympics, no Diamond League, no 100m relay, earnings opportunities crippled right and left, vilified in the media by GB athletes etc. Meanwhile the Diamond league has been inviting many former drug cheats over the last couple of years, and Justin Gatlin, Leshawn Merrit are back in the sport as if nothing happened.

Dwain definitely cheated the sport big style but I am not one of those who needs to see him pay forever. Give the big guy a break.

md_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Thu 06 Oct 2011, 5:13 pm

In fairness, Dwain feeling hard done by is the same as Ian Huntley looking at Amanda Knox and saying 'Come on, surely I should be next."

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by md_fan Thu 06 Oct 2011, 6:40 pm

In fairness, Dwain did not murder anyone as far as I can tell.

Not saying he did not deserve a punishment - he did - and he got it big time - a far more severe beating than recommended by the WADA rules.

md_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by ian_jamsie Fri 07 Oct 2011, 3:45 am

djlovesyou wrote:In fairness, Dwain feeling hard done by is the same as Ian Huntley looking at Amanda Knox and saying 'Come on, surely I should be next."

Not a good example.

The fact that someone else was convicted for Kurcher's Murder. I have no idea what Knox was in prison for in the first place. Having DNA traces in a flat she shared with the girl. Someone murdered her mate and she was sent down for 4 years for kissing her own boy friend afterwards. Someone said she got off on a technicality. The technicallity that she wasn't in the room at the time of the murder.

We should boo and shout cheat at all those that have had bans overturned. A bad state of mind = posible false = disqualification.

ian_jamsie

Back to top Go down

Post by teassoc Fri 07 Oct 2011, 6:15 am

Don't understand why GB has to be alone on such high moral grounds. It's a bit like a few years back when GB was the last country where everyone had to be amateurs.

Current rule doesn't encourage offenders to own up and give vital details of supply etc. to the authorities. New rules needed, as many have proposed, of 4 years suspension, with that halved for those co-operating with authorities.

I'd like to see Dwain at 2012 Olympics, as well as David Miller in cycling.

teassoc

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Fri 07 Oct 2011, 2:18 pm

ian_jamsie wrote:

Not a good example.

The fact that someone else was convicted for Kurcher's Murder. I have no idea what Knox was in prison for in the first place. Having DNA traces in a flat she shared with the girl. Someone murdered her mate and she was sent down for 4 years for kissing her own boy friend afterwards. Someone said she got off on a technicality. The technicallity that she wasn't in the room at the time of the murder.

We should boo and shout cheat at all those that have had bans overturned. A bad state of mind = posible false = disqualification.

I agree. She is rather nice looking isn't she?

She essentially got off on the technicality that she is a fresh faced hottie. Justice systems are fun.

If you knew that she wasn't in the room at the time of the murder, why didn't you say so at the time? You could have saved a lot of hassle.

As for Dwain. I like the guy, but I'm happy with the fact that he currently can't compete at the Olympics. I don't think it's a punishment too far at all.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by md_fan Fri 07 Oct 2011, 3:53 pm

djlovesyou wrote:
She essentially got off on the technicality that she is a fresh faced hottie.

Agree 100% with you on this dj. It's amazing how attractiveness can influence an outcome. Now if only Dwain was as cute as LeShawn.

md_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by english_osprey Sat 08 Oct 2011, 7:10 am

Disgraceful decision on the face of it. The problem for the IOC is that, in the eyes of the law, Merritt is perceived as bing punished twice for the same crime and that's illegal.

Can we expect to see an avalnhe of drug cheats in London? Wouldn't that be great?

english_osprey

Back to top Go down

Post by english_osprey Sat 08 Oct 2011, 7:14 am

'She essentially got off on the technicality that she is a fresh faced hottie'

I didn't know that was a technicality now. Fair play to the italian legislative system! Perhaps it's Berlusconi inspired?

english_osprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down