The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jonno "Best Days Are Yet To Come"

+10
latino-flanker
Taylorman
majesticimperialman
Davie
TycroesOsprey
offload
wales606
mckay1402
yappysnap
senghenydd1913
14 posters

Go down

Jonno "Best Days Are Yet To Come" Empty Jonno "Best Days Are Yet To Come"

Post by senghenydd1913 Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:03 am

eeeerrrrr when exactly is that?-sorry to all you English guys out there who are as passionate a lot as anyone-this statement,under the present set up(managerial.coaching,"top brass" ETC ETC ) IS LAUGHABLE.
senghenydd1913
senghenydd1913

Back to top Go down

Jonno "Best Days Are Yet To Come" Empty Re: Jonno "Best Days Are Yet To Come"

Post by yappysnap Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:12 am

What are the lotto numbers?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:14 am

senghenydd1913 wrote:eeeerrrrr when exactly is that?-sorry to all you English guys out there who are as passionate a lot as anyone-this statement,under the present set up(managerial.coaching,"top brass" ETC ETC ) IS LAUGHABLE.

I'm pretty certain we were all thinking the same about Gatland not so long ago. It only takes a small change to make a difference.
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:18 am

mckay1402 wrote:
senghenydd1913 wrote:eeeerrrrr when exactly is that?-sorry to all you English guys out there who are as passionate a lot as anyone-this statement,under the present set up(managerial.coaching,"top brass" ETC ETC ) IS LAUGHABLE.

I'm pretty certain we were all thinking the same about Gatland not so long ago. It only takes a small change to make a difference.

To be fair, Gatland had a history of success - as a coach - Martin Johnson didnt.

wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:34 am

I wouldn't take one line very seriously or anything else that MJ said immediately after losing a world cup QF. Give the guy a break - he was gutted and rambled a bit.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:00 am

Ironically enough, the team from the UK whos best days are ahead would seem to be Wales. We keep our coaching structure with Gats and look at what our team could look like in 2015. All of them already have six nations and World cup experience and are young enough to keep improving with this new found work ethic. Yahoo

1. Ryan Bevvington
2. Richie Hibbard/Owens
3. Craig Mitchell/ Adam would be 34 so unlikely but not impossible for him.
4. Bradley Davies
5. AWJ
6. Lydiate
7. Warburton
8. Faletau
9. Lloyd Williams/Tavis/Rhys Webb
10.Priestland
11. Prydie
12 Jamie Roberts
13. JD/Scott Williams
14. George North
15.Halfpenny

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:09 am

I'm left wondering what is actually wrong with that quote

Are you suggesting that a QF loss to France is the best we can expect from England? Of course I (and every other England supporter) expect that there are better days to come

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:22 am

England have problems structurally with the RFU. There seems to be a need for a change in the backroom staff although I think Johnson will get another two year contract in December.

On the pitch England have issues in the centre where they need to find sombody to partner Tuilagi

They need to find a new halfback with Wilkinson retiring and Flood flattering to decieve

They need to find a destructive front row, Sheriden was a big loss but really should they still be relying on him?

They have a back five with enough talent power and Athleticism to trouble any team

They have a back three that is potent if the ball gets to tehm in space.

Off the field I think the iron discipline of 2003 has well and truly burst. What must be really dissapointing for Johnson is the apparent lack of focus on the goal by some of his team.

I am desperatly trying not to sound smug about that as I know Wales are one buggy ride away from the headlines.

Basically England have a lot of work to do in the next four years to achieve the dominance they have had in the past. It starts at the very top first.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:43 am

Yes i too think that better days is yet to come for England, i said all along that 2011 Rugby World Cup is to early for this England team, and Martin Johnson.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:48 am

" It only takes a small change to make a difference"
Well it depends on how much "winning" rates as a small change I suppose.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by latino-flanker Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:34 am

Its another "on the day" kind of comment from someone who should know better given his history. "Best days are yet to come"...... fxxx me, this is the biggest stage in the world of the game so when and how are the best days to come?? 2015?? TycroesOsprey has put it in a nutshell, the current Welsh squad and projected replacements are a world ahead of the English set up... I lived in Cardiff for 8 years so its time to claim my Welsh nationality I guess.. sad day for English Rugby (also Irish Rugby) but come on the Welsh and take it to the Frogs, good luck next week and the week after.....

latino-flanker

Back to top Go down

Post by tazfalklands Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:53 am

latino-flanker wrote:Its another "on the day" kind of comment from someone who should know better given his history. "Best days are yet to come"...... fxxx me, this is the biggest stage in the world of the game so when and how are the best days to come?? 2015?? TycroesOsprey has put it in a nutshell, the current Welsh squad and projected replacements are a world ahead of the English set up... I lived in Cardiff for 8 years so its time to claim my Welsh nationality I guess.. sad day for English Rugby (also Irish Rugby) but come on the Welsh and take it to the Frogs, good luck next week and the week after.....

Basically he was saying this is a relatively inexperienced squad and if given time man of the players have the potential to be good international players.
Name Age Caps (Prior to RWC)
1 Dan Cole 24 17
2 Dylan Hartley 25 29
3 Alex Corbisiero 23 6
4 Courtney Lawes 22 9
6 Tom Croft 25 25
8 James Haskell 26 36
9 Ben Youngs 22 12
10 Toby Flood 26 41
11 Chris Ashton 24 12
13 Manu Tuilagi 20 2
15 Ben Foden 26 16
16 David Wilson 26 18
19 Tom Wood 24 7 (Bkind Side)
20 Joe Simpson 23 1
23 Matt Banahan 24 13 (number 23 in a 22 Man Squad)

Others Who could come in
Forwards
Dave Attwood 24 2R
Joe Gray 23 H
Keiren Brooks 21 P

Backs
Billy 12Trees 22 C
Owen Farrell 20 C/FH
George Ford 18 FH
Alex Goode 23 FH/FB
Henry Trinder 22 C
J TurnerHall 23 C
Charlie Sharples 22 W

The only glaringly obvious hole is a quality/potential openside, although we have mostly played without one for 20+ years (with the exception of Peter Winterbottom and Neil Back)

Give the players some more experience as first choice and England have a lot of potential

tazfalklands

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:42 am

tazfalklands wrote:
latino-flanker wrote:Its another "on the day" kind of comment from someone who should know better given his history. "Best days are yet to come"...... fxxx me, this is the biggest stage in the world of the game so when and how are the best days to come?? 2015?? TycroesOsprey has put it in a nutshell, the current Welsh squad and projected replacements are a world ahead of the English set up... I lived in Cardiff for 8 years so its time to claim my Welsh nationality I guess.. sad day for English Rugby (also Irish Rugby) but come on the Welsh and take it to the Frogs, good luck next week and the week after.....

Basically he was saying this is a relatively inexperienced squad and if given time man of the players have the potential to be good international players.
Name Age Caps (Prior to RWC)
1 Dan Cole 24 17
2 Dylan Hartley 25 29
3 Alex Corbisiero 23 6
4 Courtney Lawes 22 9
6 Tom Croft 25 25
8 James Haskell 26 36
9 Ben Youngs 22 12
10 Toby Flood 26 41
11 Chris Ashton 24 12
13 Manu Tuilagi 20 2
15 Ben Foden 26 16
16 David Wilson 26 18
19 Tom Wood 24 7 (Bkind Side)
20 Joe Simpson 23 1
23 Matt Banahan 24 13 (number 23 in a 22 Man Squad)

Others Who could come in
Forwards
Dave Attwood 24 2R
Joe Gray 23 H
Keiren Brooks 21 P

Backs
Billy 12Trees 22 C
Owen Farrell 20 C/FH
George Ford 18 FH
Alex Goode 23 FH/FB
Henry Trinder 22 C
J TurnerHall 23 C
Charlie Sharples 22 W

The only glaringly obvious hole is a quality/potential openside, although we have mostly played without one for 20+ years (with the exception of Peter Winterbottom and Neil Back)

Give the players some more experience as first choice and England have a lot of potential

Other Props:

Joe Marler (21)- Harlequins
Henry Thomas (19)- Sale

Both will be England players, I think most people will be aware of Marler, he's a great carrier and his scrummaging has really come on in the last couple of years. Henry Thomas is his club's first choice TH prop at 19, he's also incredibly mobile. A scrummaging quartet of Corbisiero, Cole, Marler and Thomas is something I'm looking forward to, with depth being added by the Kieran Brookes, Matt Mullan, Mako Vunipola and a few others.

Second Row:

Joe Launchbury (20) - Wasps
Matt Garvey (24) - London Irish

Garvey might seem a bit obscure, but he is a big abrasive player and he’s my pick of the season, if he stays fit I can see him getting into the Saxons. Launchbury is mobile and powerful, he’s currently playing six for Wasps, but I’m expecting him to move forward the way Lawes did.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Runster Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:51 am

Surely the World Cup is the pinnacle? Are England still building? With all the resources at his disposal, shouldn't Johnno have build a team that would peak around now? How long does it take to build a team - 8 years? Surely if it takes 8 years, players at the start of the process will be getting on a bit in 8 years? The cycle time for international teams should be 4 years. Tuilange is awesome, as is Foden. Love Foden's attitude and passion. He and Tuilange are the only back players who shined, in my view - build the team around them, give up the Forward-centric approach, it isn't working.

Runster

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:36 am

Runster wrote:Surely the World Cup is the pinnacle? Are England still building? With all the resources at his disposal, shouldn't Johnno have build a team that would peak around now? How long does it take to build a team - 8 years? Surely if it takes 8 years, players at the start of the process will be getting on a bit in 8 years? The cycle time for international teams should be 4 years. Tuilange is awesome, as is Foden. Love Foden's attitude and passion. He and Tuilange are the only back players who shined, in my view - build the team around them, give up the Forward-centric approach, it isn't working.

No he isn't still building, he built and it failed, now they have to start again. His point is that the spine of the team is very young and should be very internationally experienced by the next World Cup e.g. The front row will be 29 or under and should have around 50 caps or more each.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:01 am

he failed. sorry MJ you are a legend- but not as a manager/coach. time to move on

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down