The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Stakes Are Higher Than We Thought

3 posters

Go down

The Stakes Are Higher Than We Thought Empty The Stakes Are Higher Than We Thought

Post by TheGreyGhost Tue 11 Oct 2011, 3:52 pm

"I think the nature of rugby changes a wee bit in finals football when the result is that you can die if you lose. That probably makes both sides a wee bit more conservative in the game they play," Graham Henry has said.

Is this some new IRB regulation on treatment of losing semi-finalists that I was previously unaware of?

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/5766710/High-stakes-semi-to-curb-All-Blacks-attack

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

The Stakes Are Higher Than We Thought Empty Re: The Stakes Are Higher Than We Thought

Post by Glas a du Tue 11 Oct 2011, 4:57 pm

I've just realised how big a game this one is on Sunday. It is the biggest game in rugby and it is the semi final of a WC on NZ soil. Will their desire not to lose trump their desire to win? Will Cooper turn up (I reckon any booing will actually help him this time funnily enough) Will the ref have anything to lose from upsetting either side (as he won't be getting the final by definition). Will the Aussies wheel in the unsuccessful side of 1987 - Campese, Lynagh, Farr Jones etc. as motivational aids? I had taken my eye of this one, but this is where it's at.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

The Stakes Are Higher Than We Thought Empty Re: The Stakes Are Higher Than We Thought

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue 11 Oct 2011, 5:04 pm

Yes it´s a new one GG.

Stand 15m back from the haka and anyone on the losing side in knockout rugby dies. Why else do you think Tualigi dove off that ferry?

Plenty to play for on the weekend. Hope those cowardly feigned injuries from Slade, Carter and Muliaina don´t come back to bite us. As they´re no longer in the squad, their lives are saved if we exit on Sunday.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Tue 11 Oct 2011, 5:14 pm

It's actually a pretty poor thing for Henry to say, given the tragedy befalling Sir Piri Weepu's family following the Argentina game.

Points deducted for insensitivity for Mr Henry.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue 11 Oct 2011, 5:23 pm

He isn´t knighted quite yet GG. But thoughts go out to the man of the match who learnt of his grandfather passing away after the game.

On a brighter note, good to see the big man Jonah Lomu out of hospital. Saw in the Mils farewell press conference a photo of Jock Hobbs and man has he changed. Hang in there Jock.

Let´s bring the boys in for a huddle as well as a cuddle...

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down