The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leinster going forward HEC + Rabocop

+16
Jenifer McLadyboy
greybeard
Mickado
rodders
Sin é
Golden
Notch
Thomond
red_stag
Gibson
Feckless Rogue
Rory_Gallagher
thebandwagonsociety
Kingshu
pete (buachaill on eirne)
D24tress
20 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Leinster going forward HEC + Rabocop  - Page 3 Empty Leinster going forward HEC + Rabocop

Post by D24tress Wed 12 Oct 2011 - 12:26

First topic message reminder :

Hello fellow people lucky enough to be born in the greatest rugby province ever formed

That will annoy any outsiders looking in.

right so the world cup is over and we have our returning 14 back in the mix after some rest

Cullen
mcfadden
boss
jennings

need to play some rugby asap and i'm sure will not want to much rest before getting back to business

redden and cronin will not need too much of a rest either.

In my view we need to stagger the lads back and have close to a full team for the munster game in the aviva. What i would like to see when we have the lads back is for us to go undefeated to christmas, big ask i know, but we are european champs and should start acting like it.

Regarding the players that have been playing the last few weeks, i think it is hard to judge alot of them over the last few weeks as it was basically a new team. but i would like to see madigan and willis given more chances

What do you guys think going forward. Should we start making changes to our team
doing you think we should b replacing darcy or should the young players have to take it off them

D24tress

Back to top Go down

Leinster going forward HEC + Rabocop  - Page 3 Empty Re: Leinster going forward HEC + Rabocop

Post by Bazman1 Mon 17 Oct 2011 - 20:58

Rory_Gallagher wrote:
About Murphy, he is apparently 6 foot 2 and 105kg according to a few different statistics. That is pretty big for a potential openside, and he did not look lacking in physicality when I saw him play. At 8 he would be too small, at 6 he is the same height as O'Brien and 3 kg lighter. What magners matches did you see him play? So far he has only had 1 cap for Leinster which was this season..

Surprised that he's listed as 6'2", he really didn't look that big and I'm pretty sure I was sober. Maybe it was someone else!
It was one of the early season Rabo games I saw him, can't recall the opposition, just remember him looking a bit lost. Other than that I've seen him a bit in the U20s. I'll be happy if he proves me wrong and turns into another back-row gem but not seeing it yet.

Bazman1

Back to top Go down

Leinster going forward HEC + Rabocop  - Page 3 Empty Re: Leinster going forward HEC + Rabocop

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 17 Oct 2011 - 21:06

The game he played for Leinster was the match after Ryan and McLaughlin both got injured, and unfortunately I didn't get to see it. Really he is just a suggestion of a player that should be brought up as an openside for the future, not sure if it would work or not but we should be blooding these young backrowers into 7s.

My problem with Ryan is after watching him Ruddock and McLaughlin together I thought the breakdown was still a problem and they were outplayed by each team they played against. Not sure he will ever make a great 7. I think he could be a great blindside though.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 18 Oct 2011 - 11:41

I've seen him play 7 and play brilliantly. I have high hopes for the guy and if he is groomed as a 7 a la Warburton then I really think he could be great there.

Back to top Go down

Post by D24tress Tue 18 Oct 2011 - 12:01

i just started another thread about the all blacks and coming to europe after the world cup.

If sykes doesnt work out for us and we are looking short on 2nd row
with cullen not getting any younger

do you think we should splash the cash on getting a big name 2nd row.
should we go for someone like sam whitelock(prob wouldnt come up, but just an example)
or could we pick someone better up closer to home.

D24tress

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Tue 18 Oct 2011 - 12:05

I see no reason we shouldn’t try to buy in a world class lock (if Sykes doesn’t work out). Someone like Whitelock or Andries Bekker would improve the team and bring younger players along. Actually, Bekker and Toner – the tallest second row combo in history maybe?

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue 18 Oct 2011 - 12:08

Now that you mention it, considering that Cullen is getting on a bit, who do you think will be Leinster's next captain?

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 18 Oct 2011 - 12:11

Hmm I don't know, I know it's naive and foolish but I'd prefer us try and put McL in at lock. My ideal situation is that, that is tried and works and McL becomes a lock who can play 6 not vice vearse

Good point Sin,

I see the next Captain being one from:
Heaslip, Jenno, Sexton, Ruddock

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue 18 Oct 2011 - 12:16

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:Hmm I don't know, I know it's naive and foolish but I'd prefer us try and put McL in at lock. My ideal situation is that, that is tried and works and McL becomes a lock who can play 6 not vice vearse

Good point Sin,

I see the next Captain being one from:
Heaslip, Jenno, Sexton, Ruddock

What about O'Brien? Kearney?
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Tue 18 Oct 2011 - 12:18

Jennings, O’Brien, Heaslip and Ruddock have all been captains under Schmidt. Hard to know who the next long term captain would be.

Not sure Sexton would be asked to do it, can’t remember any back being captain last year.

Pete, the “Locky to Lock” experiment is not over, but it hasn’t been successful yet.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue 18 Oct 2011 - 12:28

Mickado wrote:Jennings, O’Brien, Heaslip and Ruddock have all been captains under Schmidt. Hard to know who the next long term captain would be.

Not sure Sexton would be asked to do it, can’t remember any back being captain last year.

Pete, the “Locky to Lock” experiment is not over, but it hasn’t been successful yet.

I suspect that Jennings will be the captain. Ruddock is way too young - he could end up being captain for 10 years if he was selected now. Even O'Brien I think is a bit young. Better off having your captain in his late 20s which would leave it between Jennings & Heaslip. I don't think Heaslip is captain material, but Jennings is a bit injury prone now. Maybe someone like Strauss perhaps?

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Tue 18 Oct 2011 - 12:31

Your captain should be a definite starter in all big games, so from that point of view Strauss isn’t a bad call.

If I had to bet on it, I’d say it will be Heaslip.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 18 Oct 2011 - 12:33

What about O'Driscoll?
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Tue 18 Oct 2011 - 12:41

Who?

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 18 Oct 2011 - 12:45

I hope that experiment becomes a success Mick I really do. For the good of him, Leinster and Ireland.

I'd say Heaslip myself.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue 18 Oct 2011 - 12:46

Actually, if O'Driscoll doesn't remain as Ireland captain, it wouldn't surprise me if he became Leinster captain again.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 18 Oct 2011 - 12:56

Really? Why is that?
Hadn't really thought of that actually?

Funny how Leinster's best years have been without him as captain.......

Back to top Go down

Post by D24tress Tue 18 Oct 2011 - 12:57

I'd say heaslip will be the next captain.

I'd say BOD will give up the ireland captaincy soon enough, but dont think he will take over at leinster as he prob will only play the big heino cup games and a few others.

whats bakkies botha contract like, would he like a year up here enforcing

D24tress

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Tue 18 Oct 2011 - 13:00

Lads, I'm telling you. Bekker and Toner. Strauss would have to kick the ball up to them in the lineout though...

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by D24tress Tue 18 Oct 2011 - 13:23

Come on mick at a 5 yard scrum heaslip would be in the goal area.

we wouldnt be able to play near airports

although we could stop a few long penalties by have them stand in front of the post, if we didnt have posts they could be them

and someone would get in trouble for nicknaming them after a certain landmark in NYC that came to a untimely demise on september 11th

D24tress

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue 18 Oct 2011 - 13:24

D24tress wrote:I'd say heaslip will be the next captain.

I'd say BOD will give up the ireland captaincy soon enough, but dont think he will take over at leinster as he prob will only play the big heino cup games and a few others.

whats bakkies botha contract like, would he like a year up here enforcing

If you are going on how many Magners games they play, Heaslip won't be captain! He played something like 6 last season (I know this because I couldn't believe he made the Magners Dream Team)!

It could be an ideal situation with BOD as captain - it would mean his understudies could get loads of practice in the Magners/less important games and be ready to step up when he retires.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Tue 18 Oct 2011 - 13:28

Maybe a left field call then, but what about someone like Richie Gray or Ali Kellock?
The Scots don’t seem all that keen to hang onto their best players.

D24 – we’d have to call them the Petronas Towers. Simples.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Tue 18 Oct 2011 - 14:01

Strauss never comes across as a leader on the field especially with the big names away. He is a follower and not a captain.
I sometimes wonder if Healy would make a good captain as he is passing the youngster stage and entering the experienced player category. Never given the roll yet so probably not a runner.
Heaslip usually assumes a pack leader roll when he is on the field, even when Cullen is around, and is odds on to be the captain after Cullen.
I don't see Jennings consistently having his position but he might be the best communicator to have going to the referee out of our options. Also, have your fetcher as captain, delays the ref from putting him in the sin bin (anecdotal but..).
Boss could take a captain's role but isn't guaranteed his place.
It is too early for Sexton to take that responsibility.
It is too late for Darcy or BOD to take it.
I have a view that a winger or full back is too removed from play a lot of times to get his word in with the ref consistently but out of our options there, Nacewa would be the best option.
Slim enough choices with Heaslip as heir apparent and Ruddock down the line.

On a shelfish note, from an Irish perspective, with DOC and POC getting on in years with Cullen also, Leinster need to get IQ players in the second row to develop them for a green jersey even if it is to the detriment of Leinster in the short term. Sure they are even doing open adverts for anybody under 23 and over 6'5" to come forward for a chance at becoming a second row. If only I was ahem years younger and ahem inches taller.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by D24tress Tue 18 Oct 2011 - 14:27

i dont see one signing in a place of need as that bad
POC and DOC performed well in the WC

BOD and darcy didnt does that mean that munster should not be allowed to sign chambers when they had mafi already. as centre is a place where we will need to replace.

In my eyes not at all, In the 2nd row we have touhy and nagle and you never know maybe big dev.

i think the emmergence of a stronger ulster and a strong connacht might take the burden of leinster and munster in the next few years

Now i agree we should be aiming at getting as many irish players playing as possible but there is room for 5 NIQ and i think its a good thing brings other players on

D24tress

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 18 Oct 2011 - 15:08

I think it's a different situation tbh, there are a number of very promising centres in Leinster and ulster and a few in Munster too, lock does seem an awful lot thinner.

For the good of Ireland I'd prefer not to sign someone else, I'd prefer someone better than Skyes though to keep our results up

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue 18 Oct 2011 - 15:14

Isn't Sykes interested in playing for Ireland? I don' think Chambers is capped, so he might also be interested.

By the way, I don't want any of them (Straus, Borlase etc. playing for Ireland).
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Tue 18 Oct 2011 - 15:19

He did mention playing for Ireland when he signed but thats a long way from even being a possibility.

I think we all agree it'd be better if we didn't have any project players getting caps but it's almost certain to happen sometime.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Tue 18 Oct 2011 - 15:53

Agree with Sin & Sore. Don't really want them playing for our country.

But, if they totally commit themselves to being Irish Citizens and are good enough... and we are particularly and temporarily weak - in a certain position, they should be considered as an option. Until we get an Irish lad to take it off them that is. Yeah. I'm an Irish Rugby bigot. Cant help it.

On the Irish captaincy gig - Rory Best. Maybe we need an Ulsterman to drive us onwards and upwards. I thought he was our best player at the RWC. Born leader of men.

Leinster's next captain is a given - Shane Jennings - and not because he is my boy-toy either. Cool
Players listen to him and respect him. He has vast experience and takes no shoite.
Heaslip should not even be let near the Irish or Leinster Captaincy. He behaves like a child sometimes.

Another strong future option - is Sexton. Has the intelligence, will and drive.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Tue 18 Oct 2011 - 15:56

I don’t like the project player thing either.
It’s a cynical exploitation of a loophole and there should be no need for it. I know other countries do it but that’s no reason to get involved.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by D24tress Tue 18 Oct 2011 - 15:59

i would rather a big name signing who can teach our players aswell

get victor matfield to dublin now!!!!!

its my new campaign

D24tress

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Tue 18 Oct 2011 - 16:10

Gibson wrote:Heaslip should not even be let near the Irish or Leinster Captaincy. He behaves like a child sometimes.

I agree. Great player. And he is vocal and brings some leadership. He can be one of the leaders in the team. But I don't want him to be the captain. The captain has to be calm and intelligent at all times. Heaslip can be a bit of a twit sometimes.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Tue 18 Oct 2011 - 16:23

Maybe in a few years. Maturity will come with more experience for Jamie.

Didn't work for me... but feic it!
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Tue 18 Oct 2011 - 16:48

Heaslip has managed on the international stage what we've all dreamed of doing.

(Kicked McCaw in the head Whistle )

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 18 Oct 2011 - 17:10

Jonny Sexton for captain! OK
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 19 Oct 2011 - 11:42

Do Leinster fans think Fionn Carr will be playing Heineken Cup Rugby this season. Will he be getting his contract extended with Leinster next season?

Last edited by Sin é on Wed 19 Oct 2011 - 11:49; edited 1 time in total
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 19 Oct 2011 - 11:48

roddersm wrote:Jonny Sexton for captain! OK

He might not be sure of a starting spot when he gets back. Let alone in a year's time. Wink

Some comments in the Indo today from BOD about retiring in 18 months!

O'Driscoll fears the end

By Nick Bramhill

Wednesday October 19 2011

Brian O'Driscoll has admitted he is dreading the day he finally hangs up his boots.

The Ireland captain said he believes he has got another 18 months before he finally calls time on his incredible career, but the 32-year-old said he is terrified at the thought of leaving the dressing-room for the very last time.

O'Driscoll , who earned the first of his 123 caps in 1999, said his dream is to escape injury and make the 2013 Lions Tour.

More ....

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/odriscoll-fears-the-end-2909834.html
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 19 Oct 2011 - 12:02

123 caps. He is only 16 caps away from being the most capped rugby player in all of history. 140 is the record breaking number.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed 19 Oct 2011 - 12:08

Hopefully he stays fit.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 19 Oct 2011 - 12:11

red_stag wrote:123 caps. He is only 16 caps away from being the most capped rugby player in all of history. 140 is the record breaking number.

He could easily get 16 caps if some were from the bench (Ireland play about 12 internationals a year), and while good for BOD, maybe not great for Ireland. It would be an amazing achievement to make 4 Lions tours in the professional era though.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 19 Oct 2011 - 12:48

Interesting article. I hope BOD doesn't let his heart rule his head. After having a pretty good season his body seemed to be falling apart towards the end. First his groin and then the shoulder. The mind is still willing but the body is starting to faulter.

He'll be 33 in January and as much as I'd like to see him go on forever I don't want to see him get outplayed, outsprinted and overpowered by players who wouldn't have been able to lace his boots in his prime.

The Lions is two seasons away and I really can't see him making that unfortunately. He might be able to stay in one piece long enough to lead us out against the AB's next summer but for me that should be the end as he's already pushed himself too far already.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Wed 19 Oct 2011 - 12:57

Sin é wrote:Do Leinster fans think Fionn Carr will be playing Heineken Cup Rugby this season. Will he be getting his contract extended with Leinster next season?

It's hard to say,if Schmidt persists with Fitxgerald in the centre he has a chance but there's a lot of competition with McFadden,Kearney v.2 and Conway if he comes back from injury.There's also a chance that Kearney v.1 gets the fullback spot and Nacewa will then shift over to the left wing.

As for getting a new contract I'd say it's more likely he doesn't get one,we have a lot of depth in the back 3 and really only signed him because so many players have been in N.Z. I think the provinces will all shed a few players next season.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Wed 19 Oct 2011 - 16:21

I really hope BOD retires at the end of this season. His body has taken an unmerciful battering over the last few years. Both for Leinster's and Ireland's cause. He will have to be dragged off the field and told to stop.

I know it's his dream, but he can forget the Lions (he wont). No way he'll make that and should he still be playing - no way should they take him.

Win the HC this year Brian and call it a day. 4 x Lions Tours, 3 x HCs and a SLAM would be magnificent. Maybe another 6-N Championship is on and maybe beating NZ for the 1st time net Summer. Go out at the Top man - don't do an Ali and get badly-injured - messing up the rest of your Life.

He is the best and most complete centre, the modern-game ever produced. Not a bad flanker either.

The Life Of Brian.

Good name for an autobiography that...
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed 19 Oct 2011 - 16:25

“the word according to BOD” maybe?
Could be a bit self indulgent. But “the life of Brian” has probably already been used by some really mundane people, like Brain Moore.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 19 Oct 2011 - 16:29

Triskaidekaphobia should be the title. Its already associated with him, its unique, its relevant, you'd remember it.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Wed 19 Oct 2011 - 16:40

Triskaidekaphobia . Yeah that's the one! Perfect.

Mickado's favourite Tee-shirt.

I love my Felipe one. Dr. Phil. zen

As for Carr and his future at Leinster? Really dunno. He really is up against it. Maybe he will step his overall game up under Schmidt. We lack pace at the back. He's the fastest thing we have. Maybe Conway is close?
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Thu 20 Oct 2011 - 14:23

I think he has been playing brilliantly so far this season.
I think he is better than Fitzgerald myself and imagine McF will take up the 12 shirt.

The back 3 would probably be Nacewa, R.Kearney and Horgan, leaving a spot on the bench to be fought for by Conway, D.Kearney and Carr......if I was Carr I'd fancy my chances.

And that is before injuries and all of that.

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Thu 20 Oct 2011 - 15:17

Carr might, but he's certainly up against it. He should get plenty of Pro12 matches, though. But if he suffers a dip in try-scoring form there are a lot more hungry players waiting for him to slip up at Leinster.

He hasn't had to really fight for his place before so we'll see if it makes him or breaks him. If he wanted guaranteed HEC rugby he could have stayed where he was, so he's showing some ambition at least.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueMuff Thu 20 Oct 2011 - 15:46

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:I think he has been playing brilliantly so far this season.
I think he is better than Fitzgerald myself and imagine McF will take up the 12 shirt.

The back 3 would probably be Nacewa, R.Kearney and Horgan, leaving a spot on the bench to be fought for by Conway, D.Kearney and Carr......if I was Carr I'd fancy my chances.

And that is before injuries and all of that.

He was absolutely useless against Connacht. Only game Ive seen him play but he was hauled off after 50mins of a stinker.

Cant see him making even the squad for HC

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Thu 20 Oct 2011 - 16:01

I've seen him in games where he has been our best back in the entire team

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 20 Oct 2011 - 16:15

Ok I'm noticing some discrepancies here re: Carr........
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Thu 20 Oct 2011 - 17:07

Haha yeah one or two!

I think it's safe to say he is one of the fastest and most evasive players we have, his finishing skills are excellent and from what I have seen (I have seen the majority of Leinster games this season but not all) his defence has not really been an issue and he has looked for the ball off his wing too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next