The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mavs Weekly European & Challenge to update - Portugal Masters

+15
venice1
pedro
NedB-H
Hibbz
LadyPutt
super_realist
raycastleunited
John Cregan
kwinigolfer
Doon the Water
Skydriver
hend085
princedracula
Lairdy
Maverick
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Mavs Weekly European & Challenge to update - Portugal Masters - Page 2 Empty Mavs Weekly European & Challenge to update - Portugal Masters

Post by Maverick Fri 14 Oct 2011, 9:04 am

First topic message reminder :

Firstly allow me to offer my apologies for posting the weekly edition so late and after the events already begun. However in my defence Mrs Mav gave birth to a beautiful baby girl in the ealry hours of Thursday morning weighing in at 8lb 7oz so late wednesday evening when I was planning to put this together we were otherwise engaged.

So this week i'll be brief as am squeezing this in between nappy changes and daddy duties.

1. The average winning score in the Portugal Masters since the tournament began in 2007 is 267 and there 87 European Tour winners in the Portugal Masters field in 2011.

2.The Arnold Palmer designed course at the Oceânico Victoria Golf Club is somewhat of a birdiefest for the pro's with 1,610 the total number of birdies made during the 2010 tournament.

3. The course record stands at 61, having been st in 2007 by Martin Kaymer and equalled last year by Jeppe Huldahl.

There really is not much to say about this event being as it is relatively new to the tour compared to some of the more recent long standing events.

So a quick look at other news on the ET and CT circuits.

Sky sports new presenting a special report on the 2012 Ryder Cup at Medinah with interviews of both captains. Much again being made of the Azinger POD system something DLIII mentioned he was looking at and is currently profiling all his players in with a shout at the team. He also mentioned he wants an injury free Tiger next season as he wants him to be one of the old head on the team. Olazbal also singled out some players but was looking at new names those mentioned, Noren, Larrazbal and Dyson. Not surprisingly hinting at a possible playing role for Sergio and there seemed more than a hint at MAJ as a VC. What with DLIII stating he wants minimal rough on the course to allow for lots of birdies it could be a good 2012 at Medinah.

Staying with Sky Sports, a special clinic by resident pundit Denis Pugh giving an on screen lesson in how to anchor the belly putter and use it effectively. Many of those he showed how to use it said they felt instantly comfortable with the belly and would consider leaving it in the bag. Have to say would like to try one see how they feel, though I would never switch away from my current 1inch shorter than standard length putter as it's the best tool in my bag. Once trie a broomhandle to see how on earth it's supposed be easier and trust me its not!

So to the CT.

The Roma Golf Open this week, at a beautiful course I would highly recommend all to play, you can fit in some magnificient Roman architure in the city along with a trip to the Vatican then pop along to Olgiata Golf Club for some fine views and a fabulous 18 holes of golf.

Tommy Fleetwood back in CT action after a fine showing at the Dunhill, will be looking to secure No1 spot on the money list. Has come on leaps and bounds in recent months and looks to be set for a long prosperous career. Likewise Andrea Pavan home favourite this week will be looking to secure full playing rights for the ET proper and how good is Italian golf looking compared to say 5 years ago. We now have the Molinari's, Matteo, Gagli and Pavan a whole host coming off the factory assembly line. Look out some of those as future Ryder Cuppers.

One to certainly atch for this week is Sam Little could go 3 events won this year in just over a month then he wouldn't need worry about his money list postion as 3 CT victories in one season earns automatic promotion to a full ET Card as done previously by Ed Molinari and this year by Benjamin Hebert.

This week is the big week for many on the CT as its the penultimate event of the season, as the season closes down now until the final event on the 2 November the challenge tour grand final.

Last edited by Maverick on Wed 19 Oct 2011, 7:13 am; edited 2 times in total

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Mavs Weekly European & Challenge to update - Portugal Masters - Page 2 Empty Re: Mavs Weekly European & Challenge to update - Portugal Masters

Post by Be_the_ball Sun 16 Oct 2011, 8:20 pm

Many congrats to yourself & Mrs Mav & the rest of the family, I've got a 5 mth old and its just brilliant.
I didnt get a chance to see any of the ET golf today but just checked the results and saw Tom Lewis won it. Wow thats very impressive on his 3rd pro start, I could see he had a game with his Open performance, until Tom Watson put the mockers on him by telling him to miss the bunkers at all costs!

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Mavs Weekly European & Challenge to update - Portugal Masters - Page 2 Empty Re: Mavs Weekly European & Challenge to update - Portugal Masters

Post by Davie Sun 16 Oct 2011, 8:25 pm

JAS wrote:Hats off to the young man, very very well done. You just get the feeling it wasn't a flash in the pan either. Just hope the media don't go overboard on him and let him find his feet and his own way to the top.

Couldn't agree more JAS (with the first part anyway). Sadly I see the media will be on his case very soon and will be proclaiming him "the next Tiger" Sad

Young Tom does seem to have a better temperament than the last "next Tiger" - I hope he keeps it that way when the spotlight shines on him - as it undoubtedly will

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Mon 17 Oct 2011, 4:40 pm

JAS wrote:Woods definitely won the silver medal, I think it was '96 but I remember they thought it was going to be a close run thing between Woods and Gordon Sherry, in the end, it wasn't. They had quite a rivalry if I remember right, I think Sherry beat him in the Walker Cup and had placed higher than Woods in a previous Open. 15 years or so on and most people will be saying..."Gordon who?".
I'm pretty sure Sherry took the Silver Medal too JAS.

In fact, just looked it up... Woods played two Opens as an amateur. Sherry beat him in 1995, though in fact Steve Webster pipped both of them to the medal. Woods claimed it in 1996 when Sherry wasn't there.

Re Hertfordshire - going back a bit further my dad grew up in St Albans, and never tires of mentioning that he caddied at the club where Sam Ryder had been a member....

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2