The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jockeys go on strike over new rules

Go down

Jockeys go on strike over new rules  Empty Jockeys go on strike over new rules

Post by Fernando Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:46 am

Britain's jockeys are threatening to refuse to ride in race meetings on Monday in protest at strict new whip rules.

It is understood a number have informed trainers of their reluctance to ride and all jockeys booked for Windsor as well as most at Pontefract have been stripped from the British Horseracing Authority administration website.

Riders are understood to have been planning protest action with jumps track Towcester, a course which has stirred the debate by announcing a desire to stage whipless races on a trial basis, the possible target.

But these plans have been brought forward following the dramatic decision of senior jockey Richard Hughes to quit at Kempton on Thursday evening after he was slapped with a second ban since the fresh regulations were introduced.

Colleagues are showing a desire to support a colleague who will now be sidelined for 15 days and will miss lucrative opportunities.

Speaking to Racemail, Hughes said: 'You don't know if a rule is going to work until it is implemented in fairness to the BHA. But from the outset, the Professional Jockeys Association have been all for cutting down on the whip – we all were.

'But I would rather take myself out of the situation. I don't want to be branded on every news channel as a fella who wants to hit horses more.'

Hughes was backed by his boss and father-in-law, trainer Richard Hannon, who added: 'None of us want to abuse horses. I don't know who stirred all this up but the BHA don't know what they are doing.

'They profess on this and that but they wouldn't even know what a horse looked like.

'I'm pretty annoyed by the whole thing. This game has been going on for 300 years, why has this all started up now. The whips they use now would not even knock the skin off a rice pudding.'

Among those also calling for the scrapping of the new regulations is champion jumps trainer Paul Nicholls who tweeted: 'Oh My God, what a mess. The old rules should be reinstated with immediate effect until a compromise can be reached.'

The BHA have been locked in crisis talks as the sport spirals out of control. They are expected to release a statement later on Friday.

But the focus has been well and truly taken off Saturday's glittering inaugural £3m Qipco Champions Day at Ascot.

source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/racing/article-2049156/Jockeys-set-strike-whip-rules.html

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down