The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fognini's Revenge: Can He Strike Again?

+11
Jahu
Josiah Maiestas
JuliusHMarx
Jeremy_Kyle
lydian
Haddie-nuff
invisiblecoolers
bogbrush
socal1976
laverfan
Henman Bill
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Fognini's Revenge: Can He Strike Again? Empty Fognini's Revenge: Can He Strike Again?

Post by Henman Bill Sat May 26, 2012 10:32 pm

Some of you will remember the infamous Fognini debate discussed e.g. here, https://www.606v2.com/t8755-fogninniiiiiiiii, in which it was suggested that Djokovic was rusty in last year's semi final against Federer at the French, possibly losing it because he had several days without a match after his quarter final opponent, Fognini, withdrew after a tough 4th round match which he won 11-9 in the 5th.

Conspiracy theory fans have noticed Federer's placing in Djokovic half again. Some may have missed that Fognini once again appears in Djokovic's quarter.

Potentially amusing scenarios:
1) Fognini gets to the quarter finals again, and this year actually plays Djokovic.
2) Fognini gets to the quarter finals again, and this year actually BEATS Djokovic.
3) Fognini actually gets to the quarter finals, and pulls out again, and Djokovic loses to Federer again.
4) Fognini actually gets to the quarter finals, and pulls out again, and Djokovic beats Federer. Federer fans moan about Djokovic's extra rest.
5) Fognini gets to the quarter final, gets a bye as Djokovic pulls out, but then loses to Federer. Fognini fans claim he is the real champion.
And the most amusing of all:
6) Djokovic beats Fognini 11-9 in the 5th in a draining 5 hour marathon, before going on to lose to Federer due to fatigue.

In all seriousness I have to get this article in quick tonight. After all, Fognini has only ever once been to the second week of a slam, just lost to Darcis in the first round of Nice, was even upstaged by Seppi in Rome, lost in the first round of his last slam, and has generally indifferent form. In all likelihood he will lose to Mannarino in R1, Bellucci or Troicki in R2, or Tsonga in R3.

He is on court tomorrow at 10am UK time. No Sunday lie ins people. It's time to find out if Fognini is about to once again intervene in tennis history. Whistle

People on V2 unite behind Fognini. Fognini has denied Djokovic 4 slams in a row once (allegedly)? Can he do it again...surely not.

Last edited by Henman Bill on Sat May 26, 2012 10:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Fognini's Revenge: Can He Strike Again? Empty Re: Fognini's Revenge: Can He Strike Again?

Post by laverfan Sat May 26, 2012 10:38 pm

You have opened the Pandorica, dear HB. Run

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Fognini's Revenge: Can He Strike Again? Empty Re: Fognini's Revenge: Can He Strike Again?

Post by socal1976 Sat May 26, 2012 10:40 pm

Very amusing Henman Bill, Fogninniiiiiii give me my 4th slam back!

No one claimed there was a conspiracy that fogi was in on anything he was just a giant douche for pulling out and then showing up and playing next week like a grandslam quarter meant nothing. Whatever, I relish the chance at a rematch this year with the Roger, not going to get too many more chances to watch my favorite rivalry in the game so might as well take the draw rigging with a smile.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 26, 2012 10:44 pm

I would urine myself laughing if Fognini done Djoko over!

I would retract his claim for greatness right away!

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sat May 26, 2012 11:04 pm

It does seem that this stupid idea cannot be parodied adequately.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat May 26, 2012 11:05 pm

Stupid, it is only the most famous and infamous thread in all of 606v2's young history. And I of course the proud author.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sat May 26, 2012 11:10 pm

Hey, if I were you I'd definitely go that route, best way to live it down for sure.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun May 27, 2012 3:16 am

I aint living down anything BB, I stand by my argument full steam.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun May 27, 2012 3:22 am

@ HB thumbsup Laugh Laugh

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun May 27, 2012 9:30 am

socal1976 wrote:I aint living down anything BB, I stand by my argument full steam.

Socal my friend I have to hand you rose you have the broadest shoulders on 606v2 Wink

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sun May 27, 2012 10:00 am

I fear His Fogness will not be gracing the gay streets of Paris for very long..but the ripples of his actions will be felt forever more...surely if not for The Cramper Djokovic would already be celebrating 5 in a row, and going for 6....surely?
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sun May 27, 2012 10:38 am

Fognini is currently live on Eurosport 2 for those interested in watching. His clean, incisive hitting has already allowed himself to start off with a bagel!

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sun May 27, 2012 10:39 am

Oh hang on, they appear to have changed to another match. EDIT: Now back to Fognini maybe they were just going round the courts.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun May 27, 2012 10:54 am

lydian wrote:I fear His Fogness will not be gracing the gay streets of Paris for very long..but the ripples of his actions will be felt forever more...surely if not for The Cramper Djokovic would already be celebrating 5 in a row, and going for 6....surely?
Absolutely. I've been forced to concede Djokovic is a mental pygmy and a winning run heaped such gigantic pressure upon him that he couldn't cope unless it was an easy match.

That, and that he forgets how to play with a 3 day break.

All makes perfect sense.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sun May 27, 2012 12:00 pm

Fognini has beaten Mannarino 6-0 7-5 6-1 to claim the first victory in the main draw on the men's side this year. However his next opponent will be tougher. I believe it's Troicki or Bellucci.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun May 27, 2012 4:31 pm

Lets hope this year he actually has the marbles to show up for his matches.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun May 27, 2012 4:43 pm

socal1976 wrote:Lets hope this year he actually has the marbles to show up for his matches.

OUCH !!!!!

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun May 27, 2012 4:48 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:
socal1976 wrote:I aint living down anything BB, I stand by my argument full steam.

Socal my friend I have to hand you rose you have the broadest shoulders on 606v2 Wink

Thanks haddie always happy to get flowers from a lady.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun May 27, 2012 4:51 pm

socal1976 wrote:Lets hope this year he actually has the marbles to show up for his matches.
He was injured.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy_Kyle Sun May 27, 2012 4:58 pm

what the h** are you talking about Sochi, I don't get it: Fognini couldn't literally move against Montanes the match that caused hie injury and what evidence have you got at hand btw he was pretending an injury? According to your logic ( if you can ever call logic this madness) every time a player pulls-out he's liable to be a faker Doh
Jeremy_Kyle
Jeremy_Kyle

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun May 27, 2012 5:12 pm

hahahah Poor Socal, haven't yet recovered from it.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun May 27, 2012 5:19 pm

He was so hurt he played next week jeremy. He also was being quite dramatic in that match by the way hamming it up for the camera a bit I don't doubt he was cramping or pulled something. I guess fogi just doesn't value his only shot at a grandslam quarter that much, tells you what you need to know about him. Sad for him actually, probably the first and last time he will ever have a grandslam quarter chance.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun May 27, 2012 5:22 pm

socal1976 wrote:He was so hurt he played next week jeremy. He also was being quite dramatic in that match by the way hamming it up for the camera a bit I don't doubt he was cramping or pulled something. I guess fogi just doesn't value his only shot at a grandslam quarter that much, tells you what you need to know about him. Sad for him actually, probably the first and last time he will ever have a grandslam quarter chance.

Well unlike your hero Nole, these guys make little money and every win earns them a lot of money, so they do give their best to win a match and pull of next one rather than losing the current one, and thats what exactly Fog did too, dont blame him. censored

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy_Kyle Sun May 27, 2012 5:32 pm

socal1976 wrote:He was so hurt he played next week jeremy. He also was being quite dramatic in that match by the way hamming it up for the camera a bit I don't doubt he was cramping or pulled something. I guess fogi just doesn't value his only shot at a grandslam quarter that much, tells you what you need to know about him. Sad for him actually, probably the first and last time he will ever have a grandslam quarter chance.

You say cramps, I read from reports it was a muscle tear on the left leg which is entirely different type of injury. Again, you must have a secret evidence you don't want to share with others...... Rolling Eyes
Jeremy_Kyle
Jeremy_Kyle

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun May 27, 2012 5:35 pm

No like I said he was so hurt he played next week Jeremy. That is a fact, that is the information I have. Whatever, I actually feel worse for fogi in the whole situation for not giving it a go in the biggest match of his career. Djokovic will just move on to make millions and lift big trophies, but that was fogi's big break. Oh well, he couldn't give it a go he couldn't give it go.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy_Kyle Sun May 27, 2012 5:51 pm

socal1976 wrote:No like I said he was so hurt he played next week Jeremy. That is a fact, that is the information I have. Whatever, I actually feel worse for fogi in the whole situation for not giving it a go in the biggest match of his career. Djokovic will just move on to make millions and lift big trophies, but that was fogi's big break. Oh well, he couldn't give it a go he couldn't give it go.

Soc: are you pretty confident that Fognini played the week after the injury? I did a quick check myself and according to the stats I found looks like he played 1 month after RG and didn't show up at Wimbo either.

Can you please clarify?

http://www.tennis.com/players/player_stats.aspx?player_name=Fabio+Fognini
Jeremy_Kyle
Jeremy_Kyle

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sun May 27, 2012 6:25 pm

Fognini's next match after the FO 2011 was the Davis Cup tie in July, nearly 6 weeks later
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Players/Top-Players/Fabio-Fognini.aspx?t=pa&y=2011&m=s&e=0

I don't think it's Fognini who's lost his marbles.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun May 27, 2012 6:34 pm

This guy's a clown. Seriously, he just makes it up as he goes along.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun May 27, 2012 6:36 pm

I thought he played at wimby or queens in the next tournament. Maybe I was mistaken.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sun May 27, 2012 7:48 pm

Come on now, no need for marbles or clown, he admits he made a mistake.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun May 27, 2012 9:45 pm

There will be a lot of bumping done on the older threads during Fognini's trailblazing run to meet the Serbian clay fairy, anyone but Djokovic in this slam now, showed zero guts against Rafa the Weaponless recently!
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun May 27, 2012 10:09 pm

Henman Bill wrote:Come on now, no need for marbles or clown, he admits he made a mistake.
He doesn't make mistakes, he talks rubbish.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun May 27, 2012 10:19 pm

It's not rubbish, it's calculated anti-creative, unreal, bordering clinical obsession flaming.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon May 28, 2012 7:22 am

Oh for God´s sake give the man a break you sound like a playground gang of bully boys

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy_Kyle Mon May 28, 2012 7:41 am

I don't think Fognini would particularly enjoy reading Soc's comments questioning his marbles, honestly.
Jeremy_Kyle
Jeremy_Kyle

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon May 28, 2012 7:48 am

JK

I think the subject has been done to death and if he hasn´t got that message by now then I think he deserves to get what is left to him . But I think he has admitted he made a mistake. Isn´t it "dust settling time" I hate seeing anyone ganged up on. (pretty please) Hug

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by kemet Tue May 29, 2012 12:13 am

Haddie-nuff wrote:JK

I think the subject has been done to death and if he hasn´t got that message by now then I think he deserves to get what is left to him . But I think he has admitted he made a mistake. Isn´t it "dust settling time" I hate seeing anyone ganged up on. (pretty please) Hug

Agreed. I do not agree with socal's Fognini argument, but I respect his freedom to his own opinion. Of course, posters are free to challenge him, but there is a mean-spirited element to the attacks, which does not bode well for the level of civility on this forum. I have been guility of carrying the joke too far at times, and I would be the first to apologize to socal (My apologies socal).

kemet

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Tue May 29, 2012 12:31 am

This is "internets", everyone should grow a thicker skin drumroll
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Thu May 31, 2012 3:55 pm

Fognini has beaten Troicki 6-2 3-6 4-6 6-3 8-6 in the 2nd round. His best result of the season without a doubt. He is now 2 wins away from the Djoker!

Tsonga next.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Thu May 31, 2012 4:48 pm

Well Socal might be anti-creative at times with his post, but he has acted civilized through out his discussions in the forum, i indeed respect his presence and love to read some of his humorous threads. I guess every forum needs variety and he adds one to this forum.

lets be frank every poster here add color to the forum, and every poster is a brick of success to this forum. thumbsup

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Thu May 31, 2012 4:49 pm

Henman Bill wrote:Fognini has beaten Troicki 6-2 3-6 4-6 6-3 8-6 in the 2nd round. His best result of the season without a doubt. He is now 2 wins away from the Djoker!

Tsonga next.

Really this guy has something to do with either FO or with Djoko in FO particular, Troicki is not an easy scalp, so yes congrats to FF for his incredible win. OK

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Thu May 31, 2012 5:18 pm

Where art thou socal? Smile
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy_Kyle Thu May 31, 2012 5:20 pm

lol Sochi has booked is holidays in advance me think......
Jeremy_Kyle
Jeremy_Kyle

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu May 31, 2012 5:47 pm

I would like to thank Haddie, Lydian, kemet, henman bill for their support. I appreciate your guys contribution. i actually don't take the anger and bile of some my detractors to heart. I like to give them something to talk about, people should feel free to talk about subjects that are controversial as long as they keep it respectful. I don't mind any of the differences of opinion, and I have become a bit of lightening rod because I don't play mr. politically correct and bow on the alter of Federer is yahweh line of reasoning.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Thu May 31, 2012 6:09 pm

Hug socal

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by kemet Thu May 31, 2012 7:06 pm

socal1976 wrote:I would like to thank Haddie, Lydian, kemet, henman bill for their support. I appreciate your guys contribution. i actually don't take the anger and bile of some my detractors to heart. I like to give them something to talk about, people should feel free to talk about subjects that are controversial as long as they keep it respectful. I don't mind any of the differences of opinion, and I have become a bit of lightening rod because I don't play mr. politically correct and bow on the alter of Federer is yahweh line of reasoning.

Ah, but his tennis inspires such comparisons Very Happy . Seriously though, while Roger is a magnificent player, he is certainly not celestial. Also, like everyone else, he has his faults. The difference is that I can separate the man from the art. Some people cannot seem to do that.

kemet

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu May 31, 2012 7:11 pm

What has Fognini got in common with Tommy Haas?
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu May 31, 2012 7:22 pm

Kemet true, don't get me wrong fed is incredible as a player, probably the closest thing to a perfect tennis player i have seen. But there is such a ridiculous double standard that i see with the guy that kind of sticks in my craw. Plus he is my favorite players most hated rival.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Thu May 31, 2012 8:35 pm

Saw foggy won 8-6...looks nicely set up for a walkover in a few days time. Clearly there's something about RG that inspires Crampini.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by kemet Thu May 31, 2012 8:52 pm

socal1976 wrote:Kemet true, don't get me wrong fed is incredible as a player, probably the closest thing to a perfect tennis player i have seen. But there is such a ridiculous double standard that i see with the guy that kind of sticks in my craw. Plus he is my favorite players most hated rival.

Hated? I know Roger and Novak have had their differences and there has been a certain degree of frostiness between the two in the past (I remember Roger's infamous "be quiet" comment to the Djokovic family at Monte Carlo a few years ago), but I think they are civil towards each other now.

As for the double standard, yes his fans will always find excuses for his shortcomings on the tennis court as fans of Rafa, Djokovic, and Murray will find excuses for the excesses of these players. Such is human nature.

kemet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next