The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alan Pardew - Newcastle's Saviour?

+5
monty junior
JDandfries
jro786
Crimey
AberdeenSteve
9 posters

Go down

Alan Pardew - Newcastle's Saviour? Empty Alan Pardew - Newcastle's Saviour?

Post by AberdeenSteve Sun 16 Oct 2011, 2:15 pm

Source: Newcastle profit from Pardew's methodical approach

The above link discusses the statistical changes that have occured since Alan Pardew took over at Newcastle.

All I have to say is that he deserves massive credit for what he has achieved at the club. Some very shrewd signings in Cabaye and Ba. I watched the game today against Tottenham and they were fighting for one another which I haven't seen at Newcastle in a long time. Great performance and I definitely see a top 8 if not higher finish to their season.

What are the thoughts from others? In particular the Newcastle fans on here?

Take a bow Alan Pardew clap

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Alan Pardew - Newcastle's Saviour? Empty Re: Alan Pardew - Newcastle's Saviour?

Post by Guest Sun 16 Oct 2011, 2:43 pm

I think playing with a regular back five has defintely been benefical so far and the increase in shots to save ratio is largely down to Tim Krul being fantastic.

Since Pardew arrived he's talked about playing better football, and if you watched the game today I'm sure you'll agree at times we played some dangerous, attacking football. A lot of credit for the stability at the back and the way we can go forward has to go to Coloccini and Steven Taylor. Both have incredible pass completion rates and the ability to dribble the ball forward and set off an attack.

However, if you look at our games so far we have't faced too many threats. Sunderland away and todays game were probably our toughest on paper, but QPR was stupidly nerve-wracking due to some poor defending. The real test starts at the end of this month and carry on to December, with trips to Stoke and both Manchester clubs. In that period we also host Chelsea and Everton.

The next league games pits us against a poor Wigan side so I'm expecting a clean sheet. It's important to keep organised and not change our defensive plan too much to adjust to playing the big teams. I also hope if we lose 3 or 4 that it doesn't dent our confidence too badly, we've got an excellent run of games leading up to the New Year to bounce back with.

Cheap plug, but I blogged recently about how impressive some of our players have been under Pardew this season:
http://footballspeak.com/post/2011/09/27/Angels-of-the-North-Starting-in-style.aspx

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun 16 Oct 2011, 2:58 pm

I think they have started excellently, and have definitely improved from last year but would hope that fans and media alike don't get too carried away considering they haven't really faced any big tests yet, this match probably being their first. Saying that, if they keep up their good form I think they could pick up quite a lot of points from the bigger sides.

I'm not a big Steven Taylor fan, I think he's a little clumsy and gives away fouls as he showed today and in the Wolves game, he can be a bit of a liability at the back and I think Newcastle should look at getting a good partner for Coloccini, who I think is excellent, just to tighten things up at the back.

The biggest disappointment this year for Newcastle, IMO, has been Tiote, I've watched a couple of their games and he just doesn't look as good as he did last year, whether he's lacking in confidence, not fully fit or just teams have worked him out better I don't know. Cabaye looks a steal at £4 million though, Demba Ba also seems to be a good signing, but I would always be worried about the supposed knee injury he has.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 16 Oct 2011, 4:05 pm

Leak, should have watched todays game, Tiote back to his best for most of it. Luckily for us Cabaye is doing his defensive duties so we haven't been ripped apart too much. I think Tiote shines best when playing better teams with good midfielders, it's then that you see how well he can mark someone out the game.

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun 16 Oct 2011, 4:19 pm

I did watch it, I thought he wasn't close to his performances last year, maybe that was just me though.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jro786 Mon 17 Oct 2011, 7:44 am

you guys haven't been tested yet
jro786
jro786

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Mon 17 Oct 2011, 7:53 am

Spurs are notoriously weak away from home, so although Newcastle are improved, I wouldnt get exitec too much, just yet!

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 17 Oct 2011, 12:30 pm

invincibleILeak (CL-6WF) wrote:I did watch it, I thought he wasn't close to his performances last year, maybe that was just me though.

Could be me, but I thought he did a great job at recovering the ball. I checked his stats this morning and he made 67 passes and had a completion rate of 90% which was the better than every other player on the pitch (VDV had the same but only made 30ish). Defensively he was on the ball, making 5 tackles and 5 interceptions, again the best player at this.

I'm not getting too carried away, but it annoys me when I watch programmes like MOTD where they comment on us not being tested yet, every fan realises we've only played two or three better teams, but how many pundits at the start of the season would have had us as still unbeaten in mid-October?

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Mon 17 Oct 2011, 12:37 pm

You have a very solid look about you, but....

As was evident, Steven Taylor is an accident waiting to happene every game, and Demba is probably the laziest footballer I have ever seen.

That said, gotta give Pardew some credit and say that you look solid, especiallit with tiote in there, and seem to have some srength in depth!

Taking the next step will be the hard one, comfortable top 12 I'd say, maybe more!

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 17 Oct 2011, 12:41 pm

I'll admit Steven Taylor makes me as nervous as Colo did a couple of years ago, I just hope that in two years Taylor will be as good as Coloccini is now Laugh

I don't really think Demba Ba is lazy, for the few appearances he's made for us so far he's impressed a lot. Hopefully the return of Ben Arfa will mean a few more chances for him.

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Mon 17 Oct 2011, 12:47 pm

I have only seen Ba twice this season, both times he has been dreadful, although he scored yesterday, he was off the pace!

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 21 Oct 2011, 5:23 pm

demba ba had openly admitted that 'ramadan' had a detrimental effect upon his whole pre season and he still is working on his fitness. But if 5 in 3 is him not a full fitness then lets give it a few weeks. I'm still worried though for NUFC long term. Firsty, how the team reacts to the first heavy defeat and secondly our fixtures from December to January are shocking. The Tony Pulis comment, 'Demba Ba's knee is ticking timebomb' also could prove true at any point in time.

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Sat 22 Oct 2011, 1:52 pm

Another win Yahoo

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 22 Oct 2011, 1:59 pm

Speaking to several other Newcastle fans (Didn't see the match because of work) it was our worst performance of the season today. I'm hopeful that with Ben Arfa playing half a game today and Marvaux coming on again it means that Pardew is almost ready to throw them in to the starting line up.

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat 22 Oct 2011, 2:02 pm

It's a good sign though that you've won while playing poorly. As long as you recognise what your problems were and deal with them, it's a good thing.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 22 Oct 2011, 2:14 pm

Apparently it was a lack of anything happening in the final third, up until Marveaux and Ben Arfa came on. Next league game is Stoke (a), so if we come away with anything from that then it'll be a plus.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 22 Oct 2011, 4:42 pm

Thought we were dreadful today but a win is a win. First half we were void of any creativity and Wigan were relatively comfortable. As soon as we made the tactical decision to bring five into midfield we began to dominate. Ben Arfa was finding the space between the opposition midfield and defence and although I thought his final ball was poor, he looked dangerous. As for Obertan, surely Pardew realises that Marveaux is technically a superior player with more skill and craft to unlock defences. I fear though that against Stoke, Obertan will be selected for fast 'counter-attacking' football instead of a small, creative player like Marveaux. How no side has completely destroyed Ryan Taylor to pieces still amazes me to this day. I would happily take two draws against Stoke & Everton before the dreaded fixtures. If by January 5th we are still top 7/8 I will be delighted, however once we have negotiated the top teams we then lose Tiote & Ba to African Nations, plus any injuries picked up during the chaotic christmas period. I don't understand us attempting to sign Maiga seeing as he will also be playing in ACON I believe. Important to remember its a marathon and not a sprint, just look at Hull City from previous seasons.

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat 22 Oct 2011, 5:53 pm

I think Obertan is a really poor player, a lot of pace, but he seems to have literally no end product at all from what I have seen.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 22 Oct 2011, 10:22 pm

agree with obertan being a tad poor but for me with these young slightly more skillful quick players with little end product usually become very good and dangerous if given the time to blossom.
look at the likes of c. ronaldo or nani heck even messi didnt have that much of an end product once upon a time. not saying hes on a par or ever will be to these but i think he should be given time. i see a good player in there somewhere.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun 23 Oct 2011, 4:47 am

I think that was probably SAF's feeling when signing him, but I have a feeling the reason he was let go so easily is because Ferguson decided that the bright future wasn't coming.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 23 Oct 2011, 6:58 am

I remember Obertan looking terrrific in some youth tournament before he signed for Man Utd and then that promise was never recreated whilst in Manchester. I hoped when he joined us we'd see flashes of that soon. One thing that annoys me is he's so quick, but at times is relutant to attack the defenders.

When we play against Stoke I'd rather have Marveaux instead of Obertan, but Obertan on the bench as he'd be great to come on at 60/70 minutes and run at the defence. I hope HBA isn't risked against Stoke, he'd probably end up injured. If we can progress in the League Cup and keep our unbeaten run after playing Stoke then I'd be very happy.

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 23 Oct 2011, 1:16 pm

Churchill wrote:I remember Obertan looking terrrific in some youth tournament before he signed for Man Utd and then that promise was never recreated whilst in Manchester. I hoped when he joined us we'd see flashes of that soon. One thing that annoys me is he's so quick, but at times is relutant to attack the defenders.
When we play against Stoke I'd rather have Marveaux instead of Obertan, but Obertan on the bench as he'd be great to come on at 60/70 minutes and run at the defence. I hope HBA isn't risked against Stoke, he'd probably end up injured. If we can progress in the League Cup and keep our unbeaten run after playing Stoke then I'd be very happy.

Perhaps a matter of confidence and getting used to playing in the Premier League also, I have a strange feeling that if he does find his feet he'll be a very dangerous player.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 25 Oct 2011, 11:50 am

How do you guys feel about our full backs performances...?

Raylor is doing his best...but....
And Simpson just doesnt cut it for me....

Santon to come in....do you play him left or right and who would you bring in.....for the other flank...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 25 Oct 2011, 11:58 am

I think both have done a good job so far, but Raylor always worries me against pacier wingers and Simpson can get found out of position quite a few times in the game. I think until one starts to dip in form a lot then Santon can stay on the bench, I just hope the wingers give both fullbacks enough cover.

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 26 Oct 2011, 1:51 pm

Santon will be very good in the future, I can smell it.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by A Fine Folk. Mon 31 Oct 2011, 2:22 pm

Crazy thinking when Hughton was sacked all the Newcs were going crazy! Didn't think Pardew would succeed the way he is!

A Fine Folk.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 31 Oct 2011, 7:56 pm

Another great result tonight (costing me 25 quid) and the black and white juggernaut rolls on!

Back to top Go down

Post by jro786 Tue 01 Nov 2011, 9:27 am

newcastle have played 1 big team, they need to play city, us, man utd and chelski,

but so far doing good, like to see it
jro786
jro786

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Tue 01 Nov 2011, 9:36 am

Well done, Newcastle. This is making the Premiership very interesting and - for a Spurs fans - is all a bit alarming. I know much has been said about the fixture list, and clearly sterner tests await N'castle, but it's an excellent start.
Saw the Sp v N Untd match at WHL last December - a very hard game. It was noticeable that Newcastle were very tough tackling and fought like mad, which are not statements normally associated with previous St James's Park sides. Haven't see Newcastle live this season but it's clear that the manager has got them playing hard-to-beat football.
Very good result at Stoke which has made people take real notice of the progress made this season.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 01 Nov 2011, 1:15 pm

Manchester City striker Carlos Tevez would welcome a move to another Premier League club, according to his advisor Kia Joorabchian, who said: "His family are now living in England, so he's quite happy and settled."

I'm sick and tired of the media stating that Newcastle are over-achieving and will eventually find themselves mid-table come May. Ok, I admit we won't finish top 6 that's quite evident but do you think that to take that next step and put us onto the next level within the Premier League we need to sign a player like Tevez. I know wages will be a stumbling block, but how much money does a man need? I think with fellow Argentinians, Coloccini & Gutierrez currently enjoying a successful period at Newcastle could Tevez be persuaded or tempted to join us. Obviously NUFC's current success is mainly down to team spirit and removing the 'high profile' and difficult to handle players but is this an opportunity we cannot afford to miss out on, especially if the player becomes available for loan during the period we lose Demba Ba to the ACON, Thoughts?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 01 Nov 2011, 3:50 pm

Tevez is a ridiculous player that I doubt would even be interested in joining us. Ashley's financial plan is to try and break even this year and spending a ridiculous amount of money to tempt him from Man City is out of the question.

There are loads of other teams Tevez would choose before us and I'm certain he'll end up abroad. We did well with players like Carroll, Nolan and Barton in the team- but this fighting spirit works so well because every player (Even Leon Best!) is willing to put the work in.

Plus Pardew will resume his interest in Maiga in January and I'm pretty confident of getting him in early. It'll be interesting to see how the style of play changes with him and Ba at ACON though, I'd guess Sammy might get some chances or HBA/Marveaux to play off Best.

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 01 Nov 2011, 10:28 pm

tevez to newcastle choked on my coco pops at that one. hahaha

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down