The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dan Wheldon has passed away aged 33 after shocking incident - Updated as of 11pm

+16
Dave.
Michaels, Sean
WhiteCamry
monty junior
Davie
dyrewolfe
McLaren
LadyPutt
Miz NG
Critical_mass
Bull
Marcus
Marky
The Special Juan
Fernando
kwinigolfer
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Dan Wheldon has passed away aged 33 after shocking incident - Updated as of 11pm  Empty Dan Wheldon has passed away aged 33 after shocking incident - Updated as of 11pm

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 16 Oct 2011, 10:20 pm

A very serious situation apparently.
May your god be with him.

Update on Situation

Two-time Indianapolis 500 winner and 2005 IndyCar Series champion Dan Wheldon has died from his injuries sustained in a crash at the IndyCar Series finale at Las Vegas Motor Speedway, it has been confirmed. He was 33.

Wheldon was moving his way through the 34-car field after starting from the back of the field, which was part of his $5 million challenge to win the race. His was one of the last cars to get involved in the crash, and was sent flying from the bottom of the racetrack into the wall on the outside.

Wheldon's Sam Schmidt Motorsports car suffered severe damage to the topside, including its rollhoop structure, and once he was extracted and other drivers were treated at the scene, his car was quickly covered with tarpaulin.

Wheldon was airlifted from the circuit's infield care centre to University Medical Centre in Las Vegas, but all medical efforts were to no avail.

Series chief Randy Bernard confirmed the news at 3pm, local time, and said: "IndyCar is very sad to announce Dan Wheldon passed away from unsurvivable injuries.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with Dan and his family. IndyCar, its drivers and teams have decided to end the race."

The race was red-flagged on lap 12 and was abandoned some two hours later. The drivers instead returned to their cars and performed a five-lap salute in Wheldon's honour.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Dan Wheldon has passed away aged 33 after shocking incident - Updated as of 11pm  Empty Re: Dan Wheldon has passed away aged 33 after shocking incident - Updated as of 11pm

Post by Fernando Sun 16 Oct 2011, 10:25 pm

it was a shocking accident

Footage of it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVu7iTf59SQ

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Dan Wheldon has passed away aged 33 after shocking incident - Updated as of 11pm  Empty Re: Dan Wheldon has passed away aged 33 after shocking incident - Updated as of 11pm

Post by Guest Sun 16 Oct 2011, 10:25 pm

Unbelievable.
His view from in the car:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7DetQvUjoU

Any news on how they are?

Last edited by Y I Man on Sun 16 Oct 2011, 10:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Sun 16 Oct 2011, 10:27 pm

None so far their currently having a meeting with Indy Car officials

No word on Dan Wheldon

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 16 Oct 2011, 10:34 pm

Gee I hope everyone's OK. I don't follow IndyCar but I support my fellow Scot. How did he do?
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Sun 16 Oct 2011, 10:35 pm

Dario is champ because power is out due to the crash

race only done 12 laps been red flagged for over a hour and a half.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 16 Oct 2011, 10:45 pm

A hollow victory if someone is seriously injured then. I saw the videos. Absolutely horrific.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Sun 16 Oct 2011, 11:01 pm

Dan Wheldon has passed away due to injuries sustained in the crash

R.I.P Dan

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 16 Oct 2011, 11:04 pm

Terrible news.
Thoughts and prayers go out to all his family and friends.

RIP Dan
rose

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 16 Oct 2011, 11:10 pm

Desperately sad news . . . . . .

Franchiiti said guys were doing crazy stuff out there. Clearly at a price way too high.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Mon 17 Oct 2011, 12:07 am

Sorry for Hijacking your thread Kwini i changed the title and added a article to it

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 17 Oct 2011, 12:17 am

No problem.
Hey, Doesn't DW come from your neck of the woods?

Lots of ironies in this particular tragedy; judging by the Network News I've just watched, they haven't sussed out DW was British. Sorry to say: Bloody typical.
I think this is a story with plenty of legs and will run for many weeks/months/years, safety precautions appear to have been awol, from what Dario Franchitti says there were a bunch of idiots out there.

Expect some changes, if not criminal neglect charges.

Last edited by kwinigolfer on Mon 17 Oct 2011, 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Mon 17 Oct 2011, 12:32 am

Horrific. R.I.P.

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus Mon 17 Oct 2011, 12:46 am

Awful news. Sincere condolences to Dan Wheldon's family, friends and colleagues.

The two hour gap between the accident and the announcement was one of the saddest things I have ever seen, as it soon became apparent that there was only going to be one outcome. I really felt for the guys in the Sky Sports studio, who all knew him personally. Frankly, I don't know how they managed to get through it without completely breaking down.

It is such a shame that yet again someone had to lose their life to highlight the absolute stupidity of racing open cockpit cars on ovals. Motorsport is dangerous enough as it is, but the Indycar series organisers are essentially gambling with the drivers lives. When a car gets airborne and heads towards the catch fencing, survival is essentially decided on the flip of a coin, whether the floor of the car takes the impact, or the top, where the driver is totally exposed. I know they know the risks, and I know that they get paid huge amounts of cash for taking on these risks, but surely common sense has to prevail in the end?

Drivers such as Mike Conway at Indianapolis 2010, and even Will Power tonight, were VERY lucky. Unfortunately Dan Wheldon wasn't. Life or death shouldn't come down to luck...especially in the name of "entertainment".

Rest in peace, Dan.

Marcus

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Mon 17 Oct 2011, 7:39 am

R.I.P dan

horrible news , was a extremely talented driver

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Mon 17 Oct 2011, 8:26 am

R.I.P Dan Wheldon

So sad when you lose a drive from any series.

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by Miz NG Mon 17 Oct 2011, 10:26 am

RIP Dan Wheldon, a great driver who will be missed in IndyCar. I hope IndyCar rename the new 2012 car in Dan's honour as he tested it this year.

Thoughts and prayers with his family.

Miz NG

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Mon 17 Oct 2011, 10:30 am

Very, very sad news. Saw the crash on BBC TV news last night but there was no info on his condition. Devastated to learn he had died at such a young age. Thoughts are with his family and friends. angel
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 17 Oct 2011, 10:44 am

As I mentioned on another thread it is just unbelievable to see so much fuel on fire in top class single seater racing in 2011. Now I know there will be some fuel outside the fuel tank in the engine and fuel lines etc but some of that fire seemed to be from the main fuel tanks. It is like a repeat of 1960/70’s f1 where drivers were trapped by fire. The whole point of keeping this style of racing open cockpit is to ensure the most efficient extraction of the driver in the worst accidents but that relies on modern fuel tanks. I sadly suspect dan wheldon died from asphyxiation before any impact injuries killed him.

It really makes me very angry to see that people running other forms of motorsports did not learn from the very dark days of early F1. Believe me f1 could easily be 5 to 10 seconds a lap quicker if they hadn’t bothered to think about safety over the years. They could be doing speeds well over 240 mph at the end of long straits if some of the regulations were changed, but luckily the first concern in f1 is safety not speed. I am not sure all motorsports can say that genuinely. As mentioned the drivers knew the risk but I am not sure how that particular equation plays out in your mind when 5 million is waved under your nose. Further just because you fail to fully equate a risk should you be penalised with death or serious injury?

I have limited knowledge of US motor sport but I seem to remember that this is not the first death in the last 5 years or so in indy or nascar?

Kwini, I hope you are right in that some tough questions are asked and even tougher decisions are taken, if that means criminal convictions then so be it. More importantly I hope they re-write the regs from scratch with safety at the very heart of them. I recently saw first hand a Gp3 car hit the barrier having gone straight on at top speed though eau rouge, the guy walked out and probably jogged back to the pits. That is at least the third/fourth tier of European single seater so cost is not an issue.

In f1 we have seen Kubica suffer no more than graze after his horror crash in Canada, mark webber walk away from going airborne and upside-down and Perez get no more than concussion after hitting a barrier side on in Monaco at over 180 mph. Safety can be achieved without diluting the extreme danger faced in any discernable manner.

Sorry if this sounds like a rant but I was just so appalled and shocked by the scenes last night.

Such a very sad and unnecessary death.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Mon 17 Oct 2011, 11:56 am

Mac - I so agree with you. This was an unnecessary waste of a young life. Changes can be made without diluting the sport.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Mon 17 Oct 2011, 12:11 pm

Tragic. I feel sorry for Dario in a way. He won the title but it came due to the death of someone who was probably a good friend of his. I can't imagine what that must feel like.

I watched SSN from 7-8 this morning and was shocked to find out that the cars are 9 years old. My knowledge of US motorsport is very, very limited but that is shocking. Apparently, some other drivers were going crazy. They need to reprimand those that caused the accident severely, otherwise no lessons will be learned.

I agree with McLaren that safety is the main issue, not speed. I suppose it might be the American attitude. Think of Tim Allen shouting "More Power!!", in a crude comparison.

But yes, tragic news, as I have said.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 17 Oct 2011, 12:25 pm

R.I.P. Dan Wheldon rose

There appears to have been some safety concerns voiced before the race regarding this track and the nature of the race. Hopefully more lessons can be learnt and acted upon to reduce further the risks associated with this motorsport. As in all forms of high speed, high energy (octane) sports the risks can be reduced but never totally removed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 17 Oct 2011, 12:44 pm

R.I.P Dan Wheldon. You will be missed.

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Mon 17 Oct 2011, 1:23 pm

Tragic news. Saw footage of the crash on the news last night and it looked absolutely horrific. Also shocked at the amount of fire. Even in bad F1 accidents fires are quite rare these days and are more likely to be caused by the engine overheating.

My condolences to the families and friends of everyone who was killed or injured in the accident.

I'd echo the comments of Marcus and McLaren and question the US motor racing authorities' judgement in allowing open-cockpit cars to race like NASCAR stock cars...especially on oval circuits where little braking is normally required.

At least big pile-ups in F1 usually occur in braking zones, where everyone is either slowing or preparing to slow down. High-speed impacts are mercifully rare and usually only involve 1 or 2 cars.

I'd say they need to take a serious look at their safety regs and procedures.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 17 Oct 2011, 1:28 pm

From team owner Michael Andretti
"But it's part of our sport. He knew the risks; we all know the risks when we get in the car. It probably touches me a little more because of everything that was going on. It's a terrible thing, but unfortunately in our sport we've had a lot of days like these. They suck, but that's the way it is."
Is that really an opinion that is common in indaycar? Again that sort of attitude was abandoned long ago in F1. Drivers facing serious injury and death is not the way it has to be, as shown be the way single seater open cockpit racing in Europe is organized. You have to hope this attitude will be challenged and shown to be wrong after this accident.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon 17 Oct 2011, 1:31 pm

Shocking words from Andretti there

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 17 Oct 2011, 1:34 pm

Michael Andretti is an entitled idiot. There in a nutshell why he failed in F1.

I would expect those sentiments to be repudiated by owners with a greater sense of perspective, and certainly by some of the more experienced drivers. Time for Franchitti to step forward and take a lead.

If what was allowed to happen, and then tragically DID happen, in Las Vegas is OK to the Andrettis of this world, then why would drivers want to put their necks on the line for them?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Mon 17 Oct 2011, 2:45 pm

Couldn't agree more kwinigolfer and Davie. A shocking and very backwards attitude from someone in such a senior position.

US motorsport really needs people like Jackie Stewart and the other guys who campaigned so hard to make F1 as safe as it is today.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Mon 17 Oct 2011, 3:00 pm

I watched it live and it was the worst crash i've ever seen, especially live when your not prepared for it. Honestly 5 or 6 could have died from the crash, it was awful.

It's the first motorsport death i've seen live and i hope its the last for a long time. I wish Dan would be turning up a contender in 2012 as usual, such ashame for his family.

RIP Dan

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 17 Oct 2011, 3:08 pm

McLaren wrote:From team owner Michael Andretti
"But it's part of our sport. He knew the risks; we all know the risks when we get in the car. It probably touches me a little more because of everything that was going on. It's a terrible thing, but unfortunately in our sport we've had a lot of days like these. They suck, but that's the way it is." ...
This is an insensitive, irresponsible as well as a selfish statement to make.

It is clearly trying to promote the view of "(It) suck(s), but that's the way it is", in order that he and other team owners avoid the expenditure and effort that goes into improving safety in motorsport. Hopefully whoever is regulating the sport identifies this comment as merely propagating the self-interests of the team owners - or at least the subset of team owners (and racing track owners) with this mindset.

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteCamry Mon 17 Oct 2011, 3:29 pm

What safety measures has F1 taken which IndyCar hasn't?

WhiteCamry

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Mon 17 Oct 2011, 3:48 pm

Its a rather sombre feeling knowing i watched someone die live on tv Crying or Very sad

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Mon 17 Oct 2011, 4:18 pm

Does anyone know what injuries he suffered?
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Mon 17 Oct 2011, 4:38 pm

Not as of yet Sean

Id presume they'd have a post mortem to do before anything can be announced

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Mon 17 Oct 2011, 7:17 pm

Before I went to sleep last night I checked ESPN on my phone. It's something I normally do, in order to check the NFL. I noticed that Dan had been injured in a massive wreck.

When I woke up this morning, I found out he had died.

I should add this is the first time I've experienced a fatality, I was too young to remember Senna and didn't follow NASCAR when Dale Earnhardt died. It's just terrible.

Thoughts and prayers to his family and friends. RIP Dan Wheldon.

"Many people ask me why I always sign off "till we meet again". Because goodbye is always so final. Goodbye Dan Wheldon." - Marty Reid, ESPN.

Last edited by Dave on Mon 17 Oct 2011, 9:18 pm; edited 2 times in total

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Mon 17 Oct 2011, 7:45 pm

Such a sad loss. He'd only recently become a father again.

Doesn't Andretti have no legs or is that Zinardi?

Beer

Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Mon 17 Oct 2011, 7:47 pm

That's Alex Zanardi beer OK

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 17 Oct 2011, 7:56 pm

Andretti is missing something else entirely.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 17 Oct 2011, 8:30 pm

WhiteCamry wrote:What safety measures has F1 taken which IndyCar hasn't?

Others will know better but you have to say given the list of deaths in indy and nascar over the last ten years there something wrong with the approach and attitude to safety at a fundamental level. There are ways and means to reduce the risk of death and injury to the smallest amount possibly for something as dangerous as motorsport. In fact I would almost challenge the idea motorsport has to be dangerous given F1's record since 1994. Although an unlikable guy Max Mosely needs to take a lot of credit for taking decisions that could have appeared to be watering down the sport when in fact it was saving lifes.

As for some specific measures from the video a few things are noticeable.

Do they have regulation barriers and fences in indy?
Why was there so much fire?
How is the suitability of tracks determined?
Why no attempt to limit top speeds

The main point is why was everything not analysed in as much detail as possible when guys were still dying and why was there not an f1 94 reaction of never again?

I know it is very easy to make these comments in hindsight but all they had to do was look at the history of a closely related sport and also make the simple deduction that guys should not be dying out there.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Mon 17 Oct 2011, 8:31 pm

He's certainly a fool. But despite the timing of his comments, he is correct. These guys are fully aware of the risks. You don't take a corner at 200kmh without knowing the risk if you crash.

It's a horrendous tragedy and we've lost a gentleman of the sport.

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Mon 17 Oct 2011, 8:36 pm

McLaren wrote:
WhiteCamry wrote:What safety measures has F1 taken which IndyCar hasn't?

Others will know better but you have to say given the list of deaths in indy and nascar over the last ten years there something wrong with the approach and attitude to safety at a fundamental level. There are ways and means to reduce the risk of death and injury to the smallest amount possibly for something as dangerous as motorsport. In fact I would almost challenge the idea motorsport has to be dangerous given F1's record since 1994. Although an unlikable guy Max Mosely needs to take a lot of credit for taking decisions that could have appeared to be watering down the sport when in fact it was saving lifes.

As for some specific measures from the video a few things are noticeable.

Do they have regulation barriers and fences in indy?
Why was there so much fire?
How is the suitability of tracks determined?
Why no attempt to limit top speeds

The main point is why was everything not analysed in as much detail as possible when guys were still dying and why was there not an f1 94 reaction of never again?

I know it is very easy to make these comments in hindsight but all they had to do was look at the history of a closely related sport and also make the simple deduction that guys should not be dying out there.

To elaborate further, i believe that IndyCar are yet to implement the HANS (Head and Neck Safety) system, or rollcages on the cars. Alot of the tracks are not suitable, Vegas especially was highlighted prior to the race as being risky due to it's length.

Back in the 70's, F1 was predominantly staged on road circuits that were adapted for racing. After Niki Lauda suffered his horrific crash in 76' the FIA (or whatever it was at the time) took heed from the drivers and began implementing the changes to race on proper circuits that were designed to protect the driver such as run off's, gavel traps and tyre walls.

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 17 Oct 2011, 8:49 pm

King beer

I would have been beyond shocked if they did not use the hans device, thankfully they do.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/bruce_martin/08/04/impact.of.hans.device/index.html

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Mon 17 Oct 2011, 8:49 pm

RIP to a great driver

Such a shame most people in England have never heard of him. He did us proud

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Mon 17 Oct 2011, 8:55 pm

I should add that after the death of Dale Earnhardt NASCAR made HANS mandatory and set in motion a plan to make the stock car safer, this design became known as the Car of Tomorrow. Also, in response to a (non-fatal, but came very close to killing spectators) crash by Bobby Allison in 1987 at Talladega (Nascar's fastest and longest circuit), NASCAR runs with a restrictor plate at their two fastest racetracks, Talladega and Daytona.

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Mon 17 Oct 2011, 10:57 pm

If you read why there were so many cars, why the course was so unsuitable, the blame clearly lies with Bernard. He had to make the viewing figures so compromised driver safety.

Really moved by this. Can't help but feel incredible guilt that a talented family guy my age has been taken. Very unfair. Thoughts with his wife and boys.
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Miz NG Tue 18 Oct 2011, 1:29 pm

The IndyCars that they drove for all these years are, frankly, antiques and should be in a museum. Only a couple of years ago did they implement the "flappy paddle" gears that is common in most European race series.

The IndyCars do have a roll bar, but it was clear that it was utterly destroyed during Dan's crash. The irony is that Dan spent 2011 working with car manufacterers updating the IndyCar to be a lot safer for next season, especially at the rear and he won't be there to bear the fruits of his labour after signing a deal to drive with Andretti Motorsport next season.

Tragic loss to motorsport. RIP Dan, enjoy Heaven's race track with all the other greats. rose

Miz NG

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Tue 18 Oct 2011, 2:14 pm

I think one of the simplest explanations is that racing open-cockpit cars on ovals designed for stock cars, is just foolish in the extreme. Huge, wide banked tracks, which allow cars to run 3 or 4 abreast, just a few feet from each other and where little to no braking is required, is asking for trouble.

Add to that the large number of cars - something like 34, compared to the 24 maximum in F1 and its a recipe for disaster.

I think simply banning the hosting of Indycar races on oval circuits and reducing the number of cars would cut the number of serious accidents.

I don't know if Indycar designers use F1 style survival cells and fuel tanks. If not, they should take a very close look. When you think how Mark Webber went airborne when he ran into the back of Kovaleinen, yet walked away with just bumps and bruises, it does make you wonder how much Indycars are designed with driver safety in mind. Even the likes of Martin Brundle and Riccardo Patrese have suffered some pretty hairy crashes and lived to tell the tale.

dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteCamry Tue 18 Oct 2011, 3:25 pm

dyrewolfe wrote:I think one of the simplest explanations is that racing open-cockpit cars on ovals designed for stock cars, is just foolish in the extreme. Huge, wide banked tracks, which allow cars to run 3 or 4 abreast, just a few feet from each other and where little to no braking is required, is asking for trouble.

Add to that the large number of cars - something like 34, compared to the 24 maximum in F1 and its a recipe for disaster.

I think simply banning the hosting of Indycar races on oval circuits and reducing the number of cars would cut the number of serious accidents.

I don't know if Indycar designers use F1 style survival cells and fuel tanks. If not, they should take a very close look. When you think how Mark Webber went airborne when he ran into the back of Kovaleinen, yet walked away with just bumps and bruises, it does make you wonder how much Indycars are designed with driver safety in mind. Even the likes of Martin Brundle and Riccardo Patrese have suffered some pretty hairy crashes and lived to tell the tale.

Bruce Martin at Sports Illustrated agrees, and states some notable points in doing so.

WhiteCamry

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Tue 18 Oct 2011, 4:39 pm

Maybe the Indy 500 could remain as a one-off race on an oval (removing Indy from the Champ Car series would be like removing Monaco from F1), but as the Bruce Martin article points out, Indianapolis is a long and flat oval that actually requires drivers to get the setup of the car perfect, and to brake and accelerate correctly to maximise their pace round the track. Vegas simply takes too little skill to drive, and so eveyone goes extremely fast and extremely close together (mostly running 4 wide, filling pretty much the whole width of the circuit).

I finally watched the clip of the accident - the only thing that amazed me was that there weren't more drivers seriously hurt or killed. One slight mistake inthe middle of the pack and all hell broke loose, with the drivers behind having no chance to avoid the concertina effect of the initial crash and of the second crash on the inside as the drivers hit each other in attempting to avoid the first incident.
Open wheeled cars travelling at 225mph and that close to each other is a recipe for disaster as there will inevitably be cars launched into the air, and then it's just a matter of luck as to the outcome. Sadly for Dan Wheldon on Sunday, his luck was out.

As a quick aside, Formula 1 got their act together in the early to mid 80s, with only 3 fatalities having occurred since 1982 (Di Angelis in testing in 86 and of course the Imola weekend of 94). Even before the Senna accident in 94, cars had become enormously safer (for example, Berger emerging essentially unscathed from his huge accident at Imola in 89), and now I think are about as safe as it is possible to make an open wheeled racing car (noting freak accidents such as Massa's a couple of years ago cannot be entirely eliminated when racing open cars).

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Tue 18 Oct 2011, 6:11 pm

5-time defending NASCAR champion Jimmie Johnson has said that IndyCars shouldn't run on ovals(as mentioned in the article). I agree with dummy_half that Indy could stay as it's a flat banked oval, and it definitely will, it is the most famous race in the world. Mind you, at the 2010 500 cars did get airborne.

But IndyCar should have been nowhere near Las Vegas, it's a NASCAR track.

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next