The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ken Buchanan has Passed Away aged 77

+2
captain carrantuohil
88Chris05
6 posters

Go down

Ken Buchanan has Passed Away aged 77 Empty Ken Buchanan has Passed Away aged 77

Post by 88Chris05 Sat 01 Apr 2023, 3:46 pm

Sad announcement this afternoon that one of the greatest fighters ever to emerge from the UK, and almost certainly the best ever from Scotland, Ken Buchanan has passed away.

As most will know, Buchanan's life after boxing wasn't always a happy one and he was beset with both personal and physical issues. He was also underappreciated on these shores during his own career, largely due to a dispute between the WBA and the BBBofC which prevented him from defending his world Lightweight title on British shores for a while when he was at his pomp - and which remained an understandable grievance for him long after he hung his gloves up.

But those who know their boxing know how good he was in his pomp, and in the early 1970s he was genuinely regarded as one of the sport's best fighters pound for pound, underlined by the Boxing Writers Association of America naming him their international fighter of the year for 1970.

His points win over another future Scottish world champion, Jim Watt, in 1973 is available in full online, and I'd recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it. Fabulous fight in which Buchanan was given more than his money's worth by a rapidly-improving Watt, before making his experience count and taking his compatriot apart with a tremendous show of body punching in the championship rounds to pull clear and win a hard-fought decision. Needless to say, it's a win which came to look even better as the years went by and Watt established himself as an excellent world Lightweight champion in his own right.

And while we're sometimes keen to avoid being too effusive towards a fighter for a fight they lost, as it can seem a little patronising and a disservice to their fighting pride - it's always worth remembering that Roberto Duran, possibly the greatest Lightweight of them all, regularly cited Buchanan as one of the best fighters and toughest opponents he ever faced, and Buchanan, though bested, certainly didn't disgrace himself before that controversial ending in the thirteenth round.

Tremendous fighter and one of the absolute elite to come from these Isles. Rest in Peace, Ken.

Last edited by 88Chris05 on Sat 01 Apr 2023, 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
88Chris05
88Chris05

superflyweight, guildfordbat, Duty281 and Derek Smalls like this post

Back to top Go down

Ken Buchanan has Passed Away aged 77 Empty Re: Ken Buchanan has Passed Away aged 77

Post by captain carrantuohil Sat 01 Apr 2023, 5:02 pm

I couldn't not return here for this. A fair tribute from the always estimable Chris to my great hero. I'm suddenly a 5 year-old again and watching the highlights of his second fight with Laguna at MSG, the arena that he dominated in the early 70s.

No point telling everyone what a marvellous fighter he was - you all probably know that anyway and those who don't can just look him up. Best left jab in the business and enormous courage and self-belief.

I never met Ken Buchanan and in some ways, I'm glad about that. He was on - is on - such a high pedestal for me that he could only have fallen short of my hopelessly unrealistic expectations. But I'm so glad he was there - he brightened my life when I was a child and a little spark now goes with his passing. Rest well, champion.

captain carrantuohil

superflyweight, guildfordbat and Derek Smalls like this post

Back to top Go down

Ken Buchanan has Passed Away aged 77 Empty Re: Ken Buchanan has Passed Away aged 77

Post by 88Chris05 Sat 01 Apr 2023, 5:33 pm

If I'd known you were going to make a brief return I'd have left the tribute to you, captain. You were the first boxing forum poster I thought of when I saw the news of Buchanan's passing, as many of us remembered what a hero he was to you.

True to form in terms of how his career and profile developed, he might not get quite as many tributes in death as some other stars of British boxing, despite achieving more than almost all of them - but the ones he will get will at least be sincere and meaningful.

Been a while since I watched any Buchanan fights, will definitely be reminding myself of that jab and deft footwork soon.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sat 01 Apr 2023, 8:37 pm

In a world of Eddie Hearn ‘grudge’ fights and YouTubers dominating the boxing world, thought I’d suck up my current contempt for the sport to join in the respects for a great fighter from a time where boxing was great. In Ken’s case, the division he fought in was particularly loaded with talent, of which he was most definitely a shining light.

Hope he rests in piece and, captain, maybe some solace in the thought that his squashed balls are now finally not troubling him.

Sad day, hope all is otherwise good in the world of the old 606 brethren.

milkyboy

superflyweight, guildfordbat, Atila and Derek Smalls like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Sun 02 Apr 2023, 4:51 pm

Sad news indeed.

Ken is one of the few bonafide greats that Britain has produced and is almost certainly the greatest Scot to ever don a pair of gloves. The sport today has become so preoccupied with its four world titles and the showbiz aspect that it's hard to compare todays boxers with those of days gone by. Buchanan is certainly someone who doesn't have the raw numbers to stand out, 3-2 in world title fights is an injustice to his standing and ability, the oft noted jab is surpassed by an on song Lennox Lewis and that's it from these shores.

When you look at the names on his record, one thing in particular stood out and that's the European, British title fights and non title fights he had, a fair few of them carry more historical significance than most world title fights today.

Soul Requiem

superflyweight, guildfordbat and Derek Smalls like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 02 Apr 2023, 8:26 pm

Think Roberto Duran said it was his proudest moment beating Buchanan which is kind of a big compliment.....

Obviously must have been a great fighter but like I mentioned on the previous thread life is about timing....

Always be remembered for the Duran ball crusher ending alone RIP rose

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 02 Apr 2023, 8:26 pm

Like other posters here, Ken Buchanan was a sporting favourite during my boyhood. Not only did he always give it everything but he displayed great class and precision in the process. 

In reading various online obituaries of Buchanan, I was particularly taken with one that quoted the late Reg Gutteridge paying tribute to him at his best - ''a calculating boxer with a hunter's patience to get his target clear in his sights''.

I'm saddened at his passing but more so that he didn't quite get the career success he merited and suffered badly in his latter years. He deserved better.

guildfordbat

TRUSSMAN66 and Derek Smalls like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down