The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Buchanan v Arguello

+3
Imperial Ghosty
azania
Hawktimeman
7 posters

Go down

Buchanan v Arguello Empty Buchanan v Arguello

Post by Hawktimeman Fri 25 Mar 2011, 9:52 am

Morning chaps. Last night i was killing a bit of time by watching the match up involving Watt against Arguello for the formers WBC strap. It did in fact end with me pondering a potential wouthwatering clash as i then moved on to watch Buchanan(probably just past his best by then) school the up and coming Watt in what looked to me like man against boy. I never fail to be impressed by Buchanans all round abilities as he jabbed, feinted and used excellent head and foot movement to look different class.

The gulf in class reminded me of what i'd just witnessed in Arguello completely outclassing the undoubtedly rugged and brave scot.

Now just supposing that Ken had been a few years younger and had been in that position to defend against the moving up in weight Arguello. I feel that it may well have been a classic. Possibly a different outcome?

How do you guys feel that a fit, motivated and near enough prime Buchanan would have faired against Arguello moving up in search of another strap?

A cracking fantasy fight in my mind.

Hawktimeman

Back to top Go down

Buchanan v Arguello Empty Re: Buchanan v Arguello

Post by azania Fri 25 Mar 2011, 9:59 am

Arguello all the way. The man was pure class both in and out of the ring. A wonderful straight, fast accurate and poweerful jab. Great chin also.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawktimeman Fri 25 Mar 2011, 10:17 am

morning Azania. Only a few pounds above super feather, and i realise that Arguello didn't jump staight up from that weight having had some fights to adjust but i just get the feeling it could of been a really close call.Maybe Ken would of found a way to negate Arguello's wonderful ability with the straight punches.

I know all about Arguello and what a wonderful technician he was. So was Ken and he posessed a wonderful boxing brain. Who know's but my gut feeling is it would not of been a foregone conclusion.

Hawktimeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 25 Mar 2011, 10:25 am

Arguello is up there with the best of them and can't envisage a way Buchanan wins, Arguello even at the division above still carried incredible power, were it not for Pryors ridiculously strong chin we would be talking about the first 4 weight world champion here. Buchanan was good, very good but the likes of Laguna and Ortiz are a level below your Durans and Arguellos and for that reason alone i'd have this as a competitive fight but a comfortable win for El Flaco Explosivo.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 25 Mar 2011, 10:27 am

imperialghosty wrote:Arguello is up there with the best of them and can't envisage a way Buchanan wins, Arguello even at the division above still carried incredible power, were it not for Pryors ridiculously strong chin we would be talking about the first 4 weight world champion here. Buchanan was good, very good but the likes of Laguna and Ortiz are a level below your Durans and Arguellos and for that reason alone i'd have this as a competitive fight but a comfortable win for El Flaco Explosivo.

Good lord. we agree on something. Shocked

An interesting fight would have been Duran and Alexis. Duran for me though.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 25 Mar 2011, 10:34 am

Duran a clear favourite in that but not sure how his chin reacts if Arguello detonates his right hand though, one of the few i'd give a chance of making a dent in Duran at lightweight.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Fri 25 Mar 2011, 10:36 am

Oh, this hurts.

I love Buchanan - wonderful, pure boxer with an outstanding jab and all the skills plus a ruggedness and determination, but I really have to go with Arguello.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 25 Mar 2011, 10:39 am

Duran was a wonderful defensive boxer. Very good at rolling with the punches taking much of their sting away. Pity he didn't roll with Hearn's punch though.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 25 Mar 2011, 10:45 am

You can't effectively roll with a punch when your giving up such a huge reach difference not to mention Hearns carried his power all the way up to Light Heavyweight

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 25 Mar 2011, 10:57 am

imperialghosty wrote:You can't effectively roll with a punch when your giving up such a huge reach difference not to mention Hearns carried his power all the way up to Light Heavyweight

Errr yes you can.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeb the owl Fri 25 Mar 2011, 11:10 am

he did roll with those punches. trouble is he rolled like a............ Where is Truss when you need him? Very Happy

Zeb the owl

Back to top Go down

Post by ArchBritishchris Fri 25 Mar 2011, 12:21 pm

Lightweight was arguably Arguello's most effective weight class, defeating names such as Mancini, Watt, Boza Edwards. Arguello probably has to much for him in this fight. He beat a number of ATGs, was a three weight champ and nearly defeated one of the greatest LWW's of all time. Its worth remembering that by the Pryor fight Arguello had lost only once in about 8 years. There are no many I would back to defeat him in any of his weight classes, but even then it would be a Duran, Leonard, Chavez, etc.

Buchanan was a great fighter himself and probably gives anyone a lightweight a game. Ortiz was getting on a bit, hadn't held a title for 4-5 years and was on the verge of retirement. Top 8-20 he would stand a decent chance of beating them, but maybe not 1-7.

Last edited by ArchBritishchris on Fri 25 Mar 2011, 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : text)

ArchBritishchris

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Fri 25 Mar 2011, 10:59 pm

Being a proud scotsman and firmly of the view that Ken Buchanan is Britains best boxer of the post war era I would love to say I think he could but I don't. Would have been a great fight though.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down