The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Arguello versus Mosley at 135

+2
Rodney
88Chris05
6 posters

Go down

Arguello versus Mosley at 135 Empty Arguello versus Mosley at 135

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 30 Jan 2014, 12:52 pm

Right, had some good hypotheticals posted recently so thought I'd continue the trend. Arguello the better all-round fighter who maybe peaked at a slightly lower weight than 135, Mosley a man who looked sensational as a Lightweight (check out his performance against Ceballos if you've not seen it) but against generally lesser fighters than Arguello faced at the weight.

Have nicked this one from another forum, I'll admit - so I will copy and paste what I wrote there. But if anyone else has a particular take on this one, air it below.

I'd be picking Mosley by decision, although I don't completely rule out a late, late stoppage in his favour.

Thing is, Arguello was really at his best at Super-Feather, at least in terms of performance quality. In general, he looked more impressive defending his WBC belt at 130 than he did at 135. He also dropped a decision, while smack bang in the middle of his peak years, to Fernandez in an experiment fight at Lightweight, too.

You could maybe argue that him looking slightly less indomitable at Lightweight than he had at Super-Feather was purely down to the fact that his reign at 130 coincided with his physical peak years, I guess, and that he maybe just overlooked Fernandez in that earlier fight because it was a non-title bout. I can see the appeal and reasoning behind that, for sure. But personally I just can't get those things out of my head when I think about this one.

Mosley was like greased lightning at Lightweight and very, very difficult to keep on the outside, even for an outstanding technical boxer like Arguello, I'd imagine. They were both fantastic body punchers, but on the inside Mosley was able to get the better of the likes of De la Hoya in those grandstand exchanges because he was able to get off shots by a 2:1 ratio thanks to his superior speed.

Oscar himself was far, far from being slow, but the speed advantage there was appreciable. In a fight between Alexis and Shane, however, it'd be eye-watering.

Arguello would have to rely on being able to keep Mosley on the outside all night, trying to throw his big right hand over the top of Mosley's jab, the way Forrest managed to do. But I just don't think he could manage it, at least not with enough regularity to win. Arguello's heavy feet meant that he could be made uncomfortable and confused by fighters who could avoid his straight shots as they weaved their way in. I'm mindful of how Pryor, himself really just a blown-up Lightweight, was able to do that to Alexis early on, albeit Arguello was maybe a shade past his best by 1982.

Mosley was a Lightweight for a long time, of course, but in the days of 36 hours before weigh ins, and we've seen that he was still a fine Welter, as well as a decent Light-Middle as well in his latter years. I think his overall combination of speed, power, size advantages and rock-solid chin presents just too big a challenge for Arguello.

Mosley sweeps the early rounds and holds on to his lead in the face of a valiant fightback by Arguello, who has more success once he's put a few cracks in Mosley's code. Shane by something like three rounds or so.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Arguello versus Mosley at 135 Empty Re: Arguello versus Mosley at 135

Post by Rodney Thu 30 Jan 2014, 1:11 pm

This fight would depend on the stipulations Chris, if same day weigh in Arguello is in with a real chance , if 36-48 hours before fight then you'd have to fancy Mosley.
Shane dominated at 135 but never really beat a name of note , I'd love to say Arguello would do a Forrest on Mosley, but his power had slightly diminished above 130lbs. On today's rules, I'd have to pick Mosley by decision.

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 30 Jan 2014, 1:23 pm

Arguello was technically gifted. I agree Mosley would take the early rounds as Arguello liked to take a look at his opponents but would mount his attack from the mid rounds onwards.

I think Mosley would put him down at some point to a close decision win.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 02 Feb 2014, 12:50 pm

I see a different fight altogether...........I see Arguello's beautiful strasight right hitting the target.........

Kevin rooney showed what a beauty of a punch it was.........

I can see Arguello landing the payoff early ..........Forrest showed you could hit Mosley...

Arguello ko 6

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 02 Feb 2014, 1:18 pm

I think Mosely is far too tough to be disuaded from coming forward even from such an excellent puncher such as Arguello. He's much lighter on his feet, not lacking in the punch stakes himself. Just see what Pryor did when he boxed with arguello and then see what a sharper faster fighter who probably even exceeds pryor in intensity. the advantages are too much for such a great fighter not to utilise and inevitably end up winning.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 02 Feb 2014, 1:20 pm

Think mosley does better at 140....

But you could be right......Others agree with your assessment....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 04 Feb 2014, 12:39 pm

Hard to see Arguello putting Mosley down and out for a count for me, Truss. You're right, Forrest showed that Mosley could be tagged, but that fight (first one) also showed how phenomenal his chin and powers of recovery were. Great right hand to annihilate Rooney, but against the best 135 pounders he faced (Mancini and Watt) Arguello had to play the long game.

If Arguello were to force a stoppage it'd have to be very, very late for me. Possible, but I just think Mosley had the perfect style and attributes to take the Pryor game plan and improve it even further.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 04 Feb 2014, 2:41 pm

Interesting article chris. Perhaps most interesting was your admission of using another forum. Slut.

As to the fight. Arguello p4p better fighter, Mosley more natural at the weight/bigger man. It goes the distance, tough call but probably err to Mosley.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down