The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Raiders trying to trade for Palmer

+12
Forward Pass
Dorothy_Mantooth
GurTPL
thunder and lightning
crazy_dave23
Virgil_Caine
Derbyblue
BamBam
mikeygnfl
cherriesfna
Grizzly
GB1919
16 posters

Go down

Raiders trying to trade for Palmer Empty Raiders trying to trade for Palmer

Post by GB1919 Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:02 pm

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82331f5a/article/raiders-reportedly-trying-to-acquire-palmer-from-bengals?module=HP11_headline_stack

No word on whether the Bengals will agree to a trade or not.

The way Dalton has started should be enough for any sensible organisation to take the extra pick(s) and move on but we all know the Bengals aren't a sensible organisation.

Last edited by GB1919 on Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I can't spell)

GB1919

Back to top Go down

Raiders trying to trade for Palmer Empty Re: Raiders trying to trade for Palmer

Post by Guest Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:11 pm

Would have preferred garrard, posted his best numbers last year and is a free agent so wouldn't have to lose any future draft picks

Back to top Go down

Post by GB1919 Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:27 pm

I think Hue Jackson's history with Palmer and the Bengals has probably influenced the decision. Also Garrard's decision not to sign with the Dolphins makes it look like he's just after the money rather than showing a desire to play...not that Palmer's decision making is anything to be proud of.

GB1919

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:31 pm

Palmers stock has been rising all season, with every injury sustained by QBs his value just kept going up, so fair play to the Bungals who held out and refused to bow to Palmers demands, especially when you see how the team are performing and the start that Dalton has made.
I hope they get a decent trade for him now

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by cherriesfna Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:06 pm

at this rate the raiders wil have no picks left already shipped a 7th this year and a 5th in 2013 for arron curry.(best of luck arron but we all know you had to go).
cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeygnfl Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:17 am

The Patriots and 49ers are looking at bringing in Brandon Lloyd.
mikeygnfl
mikeygnfl

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:02 am

I have always thought Palmer is a bit underrated, and would have looked a lot better on a team other than the Bengals. I understand that he wanted to go to the West Coast, so the Raiders are as good a fit as any I guess, and we all know they aren't afraid to go get a deal done. My money would be on Palmer being in the Black Hole pretty soon

Wouldn't mind seeing Lloyd suit up for the Niners especially with Morgan and Edwards injuries, but I wouldn't want to give anything other than a 5th or 6th round pick as we have no guarantees he will stay beyond this season.

The Patriots trading for Lloyd would surely mean the end for Ochocinco and I wouldn't be surprised if they cut him if they got Lloyd

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:22 am

Makes sense for the Bengals to get rid of Palmer, it seems a waste to keep him until his contract is up in 2016 take the pick now and get better, but then this is the Bengals and them getting better doesn't help the Browns so they can keep being stubborn. I think I'll be surprised if Garrard accepts as it's the same situation as with Miami, they've only became serious with their interest as their starting quarterback has gone down and they need someone to finish the year, which he claims isn't what he wants from the team he joins.

I have read that Lloyd is off to the Rams.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Virgil_Caine Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:41 am

We should trade Palmer but i don't see it, Mike Brown is far to stubborn.

Shame for the Raiders, was nice to see them and Campbell playing well.

Virgil_Caine

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:44 am

would be a great move for Oakland who need to keep pushing to get into the playoffs.

Boller has never been the answer and certainly isn't now. That said I really doubt Mike Brown will cave in and trade Carson... it just wont happen and the Raiders are so devoid of draft picks they probably cant meet the ludicrously high price!

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by thunder and lightning Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:04 am

Am I the only one wondering how Terrelle Pryor hasn't had a mention yet to have a crack at the starting job? I guess as Oakland are looking like they may reach a playoff spot (though I still think the Chargers win their division so a WC at best) so would perhaps be reluctant to hand the team over to him at this point.

thunder and lightning

Back to top Go down

Post by thunder and lightning Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:08 am

Oh and btw Garrard is probably out of the picture too.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82335c8c/article/exjaguars-qb-garrard-needs-surgery-for-herniated-disc

thunder and lightning

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:15 am

thunder and lightning wrote:Am I the only one wondering how Terrelle Pryor hasn't had a mention yet to have a crack at the starting job? I guess as Oakland are looking like they may reach a playoff spot (though I still think the Chargers win their division so a WC at best) so would perhaps be reluctant to hand the team over to him at this point.
I don't think his ban for the first 5 weeks will have helped, it means he has spent very limited time in the preseason training with the team then had 5 weeks off from training with the team to go back for a week and become the starter, just sounds like way too little time. Issue is who's really left, after Palmer and Garrard?

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by GB1919 Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:33 pm

thunder and lightning wrote:Oh and btw Garrard is probably out of the picture too.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82335c8c/article/exjaguars-qb-garrard-needs-surgery-for-herniated-disc

This makes Garrard's decision not to sign with the Dolphins look even more ridiculous. Given that being on a roster this year would give him health insurance for the rest of his life I wonder whether he is regretting turning them down as spinal problems don't tend to be short term issues.

GB1919

Back to top Go down

Post by GurTPL Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:25 am

Jay Glazer reporting that the trade is about to be pulled off.

Carson Palmer to the Raiders for....

*drumroll*

a 1st round pick in 2012, and a conditional 1st round pick in 2013

whether it's Al or son Mark, a Davis is always a Davis apparently

GurTPL

http://pullinglinemen.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by GB1919 Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:28 am

Do the Raiders ever want to draft in the 1st round again?

Seems like a very high price. Wonder what kind of physical condition he's in?

GB1919

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:32 am

If true then you have to admire Mike Brown, he's played hard ball with Palmer since last season and now grabbed himself two 1st rounders for a guy who is excess to requirements on his roster.
That is great patience and negotiation

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:56 am

I agree, Brown has come in for his fair share of criticism over the whole Palmer saga. But getting a first round pick in 2012, while the Franchise has on the face of it so far, found a more than decent replacement looks like very good business.

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Forward Pass Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:04 am

Can't believe the Raiders are paying that much
Palmer is way past his best
Good business by Mike Brown

Saying that I might have to pick up Palmer for 1 of my FFL teams this week !!
Forward Pass
Forward Pass

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:25 am

I can't believe how much the Bengals are getting for Palmer, well played Mike Brown. Does anyone know what the conditions are for them to get the 1st rounder in 2013?

Just looked on twitter and seen that its a 2012 1st rounder, and then either a 1st or 2nd rounder in 2013.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:03 am

My first reaction was Al Davis lives! Possibly 2 1st rounders for a player who has never been more than a middle of the road QB, especially for a team which isn't close to being the finished article.

Saying that, the Bengals have done brilliantly to get that kind of deal for a player who potentially could have retired

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:35 am

Palmer did very well in a decent enough team but the price the Raiders are giving up is crazy.

I think they only have 2nd, 4th and 6th round picks next year. They gave up a 1st for Palmer, a 3rd on Pryor in the supplemental and a 5th on Aaron Curry.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:54 am

Thomond wrote:

I think they only have 2nd, 4th and 6th round picks next year. They gave up a 1st for Palmer, a 3rd on Pryor in the supplemental and a 5th on Aaron Curry.

They gave up their 1st 4 picks already for next year

1st - Palmer
2nd - traded to the Pats for 2011 3rd and 4th round picks - Joseph Barksdale, Taiwan Jones
3rd - used in supplementary draft for Terrelle Pryor
4th - Jason Campbell trade

So they have 3 QBs from their 1st 4 picks!

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:57 am

Just seen this on sports illustrated

The 2013 selection reportedly will be a first-round pick if Oakland wins one or more playoff game this season. Otherwise, the Raiders will send a second-rounder to Cincinnati.

If that's true I guess the second pick will probably be the 2013 2nd rounder

http://nfl.si.com/2011/10/18/raiders-snag-carson-palmer-from-bengals/

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:12 am

crazy_dave23 wrote:would be a great move for Oakland who need to keep pushing to get into the playoffs.

Boller has never been the answer and certainly isn't now. That said I really doubt Mike Brown will cave in and trade Carson... it just wont happen and the Raiders are so devoid of draft picks they probably cant meet the ludicrously high price!

Well they sure went down that ludicrously high price route... I figured that without there 2012 2nd (NE Trade last draft), 3rd (Pryor) 4th (J. Campbell) and 7th (A. Curry) rounders they wouldn't have enough as I figured the 2nd rounder was the key to getting Carson... Even without Al Davis, they manage to surprise me and i'm almost happy for that.

In fact notice that there 2012 draft class has effectively been eliminated by 3 QB's, none of whom are "The answer"

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by GurTPL Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:50 am

According to Michael Lombardi, the condition's harder than just winning a playoff game - the 2013 pick will move from 2nd to 1st round if the Raiders play in either the 2011 or 2012 AFC Championship game.

Suffice it to say, it'll probably be a 2nd round pick.

As for all the people saying Mike Brown's been very shrewd... I gotta disagree. I don't think Brown was ever planning on trading Palmer ever, I think he fell ass backwards into this ridiculously good deal, and I still think he's the worst owner in the NFL.

GurTPL

http://pullinglinemen.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Mangler US_UK Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:35 am

Brown's personnel people probably had to slap some sense into him after they worked this deal. Can't believe Oakland is parting with so much.

The Mangler US_UK

Back to top Go down

Post by arizona_tom Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:51 am

Suprised by the amount of people saying that they cnt believe the raiders gave up that much, this is a team with very legitamate playoff ambitions (despite having a tough opening schedule and only a servicable qb in campbell).
I wonder what people thought of the team making the playoffs with kyle boller at quarterback?? This was the only move that keeps the team as a contender. (Who else was available?)

As for the steep price its not as high as youd initially suspect. Iv heard from numerous analysts during the draft this year; that a pick traded in next years draft is usually worth a round less in the current draft. Thus meaning that the probable 2nd given up by oakland in 2013 current value is really only a 3rd rounder.

arizona_tom

Back to top Go down

Post by The Mangler US_UK Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:43 pm

Palmer hasn't been at the top of his game and I believe he'd had a bit of arm trouble. I thought they could have gotten a better deal - though I guess there was some added urgency after Campbell got busted up. What happens next year is the question. Campbell out of the picture?

The Mangler US_UK

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:02 am

I think it is a horrible deal, oakland don't need an great qb, their D is good and they have a good running game. You could trade for Andrew Luck by giving up two 1sts and a 3rd or something and that may be worth it, not for a guy over 30 who throws picks and hasn't played a lot, they only need a game manager, you never give up that much for that.

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:25 am

Very good point regarding trading up for Luck, although whilst that may have made sense in the off season they are a team with play off aspirations this season and if they can get Palmer fit, healthy and up on the playbook, he could easily be the difference between a 11-5 team and an 8-8 team, and play off football...

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by GB1919 Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:39 am

I can't believe I'm doing this because I hate when people mention Andrew Luck but according to Albert Breer getting Luck in next years draft might not be as simple as some teams (or realistically fans) think it might be:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8233ebde/article/raiders-didnt-pay-too-steep-of-price-if-palmer-pans-out

He claims that the power and influence of his father means that there is a strong possibility that there may be another Manning or Elway situation. This is apparantly backed up by a few scouts with knowledge of the situation.

GB1919

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:40 am

lets hope niners are who his father wants then as he could stay in the area and have his mentor, smith must be worth a 1st and second if we were to trade him to make way going by the raiders trade, especially if smith keeps it up, imagine this happened

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:57 am

niner wrote:lets hope niners are who his father wants then as he could stay in the area and have his mentor, smith must be worth a 1st and second if we were to trade him to make way going by the raiders trade, especially if smith keeps it up, imagine this happened

Pretty sure he is on a 1 year deal, even if he wasn't I would be amazed to get anything higher than a 4th rounder for him

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:14 am

niner wrote:lets hope niners are who his father wants then as he could stay in the area and have his mentor, smith must be worth a 1st and second if we were to trade him to make way going by the raiders trade, especially if smith keeps it up, imagine this happened

I've seen some insane trades in my time but if that's the price for Smith then I give up....

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:32 am

I don't think he is anywhere near worth that but if his season continues well, is he really worth less than oaklands qb?

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down