The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Country vs. Career

+2
Haddie-nuff
Wooffie
6 posters

Go down

Country vs. Career Empty Country vs. Career

Post by Wooffie Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:19 pm

As Davis Cup weekend is now fast upon us, Novak Djokovic yesterday became the latest in the line of the top 5 players to withdraw from this noted competition, and whilst he is physically fit and well, it seems his motivation and priority is rather to do even more in the up-coming US hardcourt tournaments than to turn out for his country in this particular rubber.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2011/3/9/Davis-Cup-Djokovic-To-Miss-Tie.aspx

We have all witnessed the joy and pride he felt in winning the competition with Serbia last December and his musings on how important a win it was to him. But considering his current vein of form, do we blame him for this week’s decision?

In recent times, Roger has skipped the competition when it best suits his schedule. Andy’s withdrawal from the GB team has been well documented and debated, and even Rafa - that stalwart supporter of the competition and Spanish team – chose to withdraw from the quarter-final against France last year following his stellar, but packed, Spring and Summer schedule.

As a spectator, I really enjoy watching the competition because I love to see how the players change from single minded individual players, to raucous team members. The 2008 Spain/Argentina and the 2010 Serbia/France DC finals have been some of the best excitement in tennis to watch. However, does the “Country vs. Career” dilemma de-value the competition in the early rounds, but as fans, would we prefer the top players to concentrate on their individual career?
Wooffie
Wooffie

Back to top Go down

Country vs. Career Empty Re: Country vs. Career

Post by Haddie-nuff Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:39 pm

I think it is difficult to take a step back and take an objective view of decisions made by players of a different nationality. As we all things I think we "judge" their decisions by the British mind-set. I can only pass comment on my view of why Rafa and the Spanish team put their country first. You really have to live among the Spanish people to understand how fiercely patriotic they are. To them it is the highest honour to be asked to represent your country whether it be sport or anything else. I think when Rafa was unable to play last year it was a bitter pill for him to swallow. The success that Spain has had in recent years ,across all sports they compete in, is proof of this. Also, the Spanish Royal family are usually represented at all leading Spanish sporting events.
I , being a resident of Spain ,are very proud of the Spanish team .. their pride and loyalty has rubbed off on me. They have proved that their personal success has been assisted by the support, encouragement, and friendship of their team and the pride of their countrymen. I think if you asked Rafa what his most precious trophy was it would be his Olympic Gold Medal.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:58 pm

As far as Rafa and Novak are concerned they do have the luxury of having depth in quality in their respective teams so can afford to miss the odd encounter especially in the early stages.

As for Andy and the GB team that luxury doesn't exist.

So if he plays there is still the likelihood of non progression to the next round unless other members can step up to the mark which has not been the case very often in the past.

Until GB can produce players of a competitive level I would not expect him to risk injury for a losing cause.

So career first and if evidence can be seen to the team working hard on their own without having him "as their crutch to lean on" then he can step in at the later stages to help.

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by Wooffie Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:07 pm

Two different responses above.

From the GB perspective, I would think it perfectly acceptable for Murray to concentrate on his career first, as I think it rests with other authorities to develop a better team worthy of him being in it.

I found your post an interesting read, Haddie-nuff, particularly the feelings evoked with the Spanish success as you describe in your final para. thumbsup
Wooffie
Wooffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Green Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:07 am

Wooffie wrote:Novak Djokovic yesterday became the latest in the line of the top 5 players to withdraw from this noted competition, and whilst he is physically fit and well, it seems his motivation and priority is rather to do even more in the up-coming US hardcourt tournaments than to turn out for his country in this particular rubber.
(...)
However, does the “Country vs. Career” dilemma de-value the competition in the early rounds, but as fans, would we prefer the top players to concentrate on their individual career?

Djokovic played all DC rounds last year, including R1 against USA, which very much affected his performance at IW and Miami. All the players in Serbian DC team are very good friends, so I believe they would advise him not to play this tie (perhaps they did) even if he wanted to. I think this was an easy decision...

Though the dilemma Country vs. Career exists, winning the DC trophy can be very good for one's career! Wink

Green

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:15 am

Though the dilemma Country vs. Career exists, winning the DC trophy can be very good for one's career!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Only when "one" has a good team to back him up as has Djokovic.

In the case of GB there is only one good player the rest unfortunately cant even qualify for an ATP tour event.

Sad Sad

Last edited by sportslover on Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by Solerina Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:25 pm

An interesting thread.

If I were Andy, career would definitely come before country.

Solerina

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:28 pm

I think its unfair on one hand to heap so much pressure on someone like Murray to perform at career level, ie, win a slam, then on the other hand keep banging on about him not representing his country enough.

I think all in all, he has done what is necessary to appease both sides and further his career. He did once play DC with a wrist injury which the put him out of action for a few months, which I would say was beyond the call of duty.

Most top players have a balancing act to negotiate between DC. Olympics and career. Its their choice in the end, but I don't know of any player that has "never" played for their country at some point.

Back to top Go down

Post by coolpixel Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:50 pm

country vs career is relevant (that's not the right word i am sure), in two instances.

1. - where the country in question does not have any great tennis history to boast of and no one worthy a second look in the ATP ranks. then, country always trumps career. this generally also coincides with the country in question having high degree of national sentiment

2. if the player in question is young, upcoming, well in the atp top 10, then career invariably trumps country

coolpixel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:10 pm

Hi coolpixel, I think national sentiment plays a big role in choice of relevance.

We talk a lot of playing for ones country in England/GB, but we are not as passionate about it as some countries are. Yes, we have the same feeling of nostalgia for history and all that, but other nations, like Spain or Italy for instance, feel that connection much more than we do. Loose social attitudes tend to divide the nation up into segments and fracture our perception of national identity, whereas in Spain it amalgamates everyone, players and spectators into one entity.

England/BG does have patriots and national pride etc, we all like to wave St Georges Cross/the Union Jack, but there isn't the same kind of frenzy the continentals have when they mass behind their players and the flag.

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:42 pm

A painful groin injury reduced Nalbandian to tears today during his match for Argentina in their draw against Romania.
This is what he said

"If it had been any (other) tournament in the world I'd have gone (retired hurt). At each changeover, I was crying with the pain. That had never before happened to me.

"It was very tough (carrying on) without being able to retire. Playing the Davis Cup at home, I'd never quit, say 'no more, I can't run any more'," the 29-year-old former world number three said.

It is difficult to make comment as to whether he was right to carry on or not.
But as I said in my previous post playing for one´s country means so much more to some .. there is no right or wrong in my view each player does as his conscience dictates Having watched the three matches that Spain has played and won... the players and their supporters looked like kids let loose in a toy shop.And that included me Yahoo

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Wooffie Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:55 pm

That's really sad news about Nalbandian. Yet another injury. I feel sorry for him as its at such a regular rate now. I hope he can recover as quickly as possible. thumbsup

I watched the Spain doubles today and it really was a noisy encounter, particularly from the Spanish fans and the team seemed engrossed as usual. I like that about DC as tennis is usually such a respectfully quiet sport.
Wooffie
Wooffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Solerina Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:18 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:And that included me Yahoo

Lol.

Hello Haddie-nuff..........I'm really pleased you've joined 606v2.......welcome to the forum.

We didn't meet on 606 but I enjoyed reading your posts whenever I came across them.

I hope you enjoy yourself here and become a regular poster Very Happy

Solerina

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:30 pm

Hi there Solerina

Thank you for your welcome. Im sure I will be posting on a fairly regular basis .. especially now the tennis season is upon us. A sport I feel very passionate about Yahoo

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down