The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wasps vs Dragons

+6
munkian
SubsBench
hawalsh
jay_welsh
wrfc1980
maestegmafia
10 posters

Go down

Wasps vs Dragons Empty Wasps vs Dragons

Post by maestegmafia Sat 22 Oct 2011, 8:22 pm

Wasps: Hugo Southwell; Tom Varndell, Elliot Daly, Chris Bell, Chris Mayor; Ryan Davis, Nic Berry; Jeremy Castex, Tom Lindsay, Simon McIntyre, Ross Filipo, Marco Wentzel, James Harris, Matt Everard, John Hart (capt).

Replacements: Rob Webber, Zac Taulafo, Ben Broster, Mike Powell, Joe Burton, Joe Simpson, Nick Robinson, Dom Waldouck.

Newport Gwent Dragons: Hallam Amos; Ifan Evans, Adam Hughes, Lewis Robling, Mike Poole; Steffan Jones, Wayne Evans; Phil Price, Rhys Buckley, Nathan Buck, Adam Jones, Scott Morgan, Jevon Groves, Darren Waterss, Tom Brown.

Replacements: Sam Parry, Hugh Gustafson, Nathan Williams, Ieuan Jones, Hugo Ellis, Joe Bedford, Jack Dixon, Matthew Jones.

A great first half from the Dragons perspective...

Dragons have picked a youth filled team with hardly any first choice players, Wasps look to have most of their stars...

Wasps 17 - 21 Dragons

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Wasps vs Dragons Empty Re: Wasps vs Dragons

Post by maestegmafia Sat 22 Oct 2011, 8:26 pm

great Play by Wasps only for a forward pass to ruin the final link in the chain

no try was called by the TMO

scores the same... just before the break

great play by Dragons really looking at home at this level

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wrfc1980 Sat 22 Oct 2011, 8:34 pm

Wasps are not at full stregth, they are short 9 or 10 of their first choice players

wrfc1980

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 22 Oct 2011, 8:38 pm

wrfc1980 wrote:Wasps are not at full stregth, they are short 9 or 10 of their first choice players

And this is a 3rd choice Dragons side with a 17 year old playing, who just scored a try, and a 16 year old on the bench. What's your point?

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 22 Oct 2011, 8:43 pm

Great work by the Dragons in defence but the Wasps lads held on another couple of phases...

good try by Ross Filipo

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wrfc1980 Sat 22 Oct 2011, 8:44 pm

I'm just correcting Maesteg who mentioned he thought it was a first team Wasps side. Anyway its a cracking game just wish my red button was working as Im stuck with Welsh language commentary

wrfc1980

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 22 Oct 2011, 8:46 pm

Griff wrote:
wrfc1980 wrote:Wasps are not at full stregth, they are short 9 or 10 of their first choice players

And this is a 3rd choice Dragons side with a 17 year old playing, who just scored a try, and a 16 year old on the bench. What's your point?

Its wonderful isnt it... THe youngsters are really stepping up here and playing against the big boys...

I think your man's wrong, if this isn't a WASPS first team it is only three or so players short..

Plenty of star players in it, and it does show, they are a good side. Dragons are very lucky to have maintained the lead for so long with such a ridiculously understrength team.

Another Anglo (MEN) vs Welsh (BOYS) game...

I really thought this comp was about the youth players not picking your stars, so that you blood players for the future ???

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wrfc1980 Sat 22 Oct 2011, 8:52 pm

The competition is for whatever you want out of it. Take Saints for example, they hace a crucial premiership game next week and have only just got their English players back from the world cup. Therefore they decided to try and introduce their English players back into the team as they had been missing for the last 6 weeks or so. Wasps are trying out new combinations and giving their 2nd choice half backs and centres etc a run out

wrfc1980

Back to top Go down

Post by wrfc1980 Sat 22 Oct 2011, 8:53 pm

Maesteg, I would hardly call the likes of Sonny Parker Duncan Jones etc who ran out for the Ospreys as 'boys' those guys are seasoned pro's

wrfc1980

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 22 Oct 2011, 8:54 pm

Wasps bring on international Welsh players Nicky Robinson and Ben Broster.

This might make a difference.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 22 Oct 2011, 8:56 pm

But the Commentators are more enamoured with Steffan Jones superb performance with the boot and ball in hand... He has also been superb in defence. Looks like Tovey might have to fight for his place this season...!

Wasps bring on England international Joe Simpson at scrum half as the dragons re take the lead 22-24

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 22 Oct 2011, 8:58 pm

Yeah, they're doing well Maes. I thought the comp was about development too but in fairness 2 seasons ago we (Dragons) put full sides out against other team's development sides and got to a semi, so we weren't playing fair then either!

I guess this comp is about what works for each club individually. Northampton earlier probably saw it as a good chance to get their worldcup players back up to club speed before the much more important league and Heineken Cup games coming up, and I don't blame them. However, I'm not sure if this cup has much future. There's only a handful of games televised so there can't be a great deal of TV money, and without many of the stars on display the gates are low. So what's the point?? Development? Fair enough, but Dragons A could play Wasps A for development and leave the calendar a bit less congested for the main side.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 22 Oct 2011, 9:02 pm

wrfc1980 wrote:The competition is for whatever you want out of it. Take Saints for example, they hace a crucial premiership game next week and have only just got their English players back from the world cup. Therefore they decided to try and introduce their English players back into the team as they had been missing for the last 6 weeks or so. Wasps are trying out new combinations and giving their 2nd choice half backs and centres etc a run out

Sorry, we cross posted, but yes as I posted I agree with you. Really, it's what each club wants from the competition. Some want development, some want to try out combinations or bring back internationals. It makes it hard on the fans though, although tonight's 2 games have been very competitive.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 22 Oct 2011, 9:04 pm

Really looks like these talented young players have there eyes on greater things. Maybe a bit of inspiration from players like North and so on who are only a year or two older.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 22 Oct 2011, 9:05 pm

So many turnovers in both this and the ospreys game...! great to see

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 22 Oct 2011, 9:08 pm

Long range effort for Nicky Robinson here. Apparently obstruction from Wayne Evans on a wasps player sighted by the touch judge but no replay to show what happened???

and he misses

still 22-24 to the Dragons...

This could be a great away win if they can just hang in their for the last quarter

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 22 Oct 2011, 9:12 pm

Nicky Robinson looks more assured than the last lad at 10, but still fluffed a drop goal in front of the posts

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 22 Oct 2011, 9:22 pm

Wonderful drop goal by the quite frankly superb Steffan Jones...

22-27 76 mins gone...!

This has been an excellent Dragons display, even if it is their youth squad they have certainly put their hands up to challenge the first team players who are returning next week.

Wasps have been a great team too and look very good, but the talent in this young Dragons back row's ability to turn over ball at will has been the difference along with a great display at halfback by Evans and Jones...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 22 Oct 2011, 9:25 pm

Great little chip for the right winger... Saw the space and pressured the Dragons on their line conceding them to carry over...

Unfortunately though it seems that Gustafson has picked up a head injury...

wasps put in on the dragons line...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 22 Oct 2011, 9:27 pm

Simpson braks left and goes over under the posts.. great scrum half play...

surely this will win the game for Wasps...

But to me it doesnt matter, the dragons effort has been superb. And with a practically unknown team against a Wasps team filled with top class players, Internationals and well seasoned pros of the Premiership...

This bodes so well for the future of Dragons and Welsh Rugby

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 22 Oct 2011, 9:28 pm

29-27

Dragons break form receiving the kick off. Dragons winger is taken out and it will likely be a penalty to Dragons in the dying seconds

What a game...!

Dragons really deserve this

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 22 Oct 2011, 9:30 pm

Steffan Jones is going to go for the posts its near the 22, about a meter towards the half way side of the line and an angle of 10 degrees... he takes his time. 80 mins is up and he is on target...

29-30 to the Dragons

Ref says there is still play... Knock on by wasps dragons advantage

Ball out its a wonderful win for the Dragons

WHAT A GAME

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by jay_welsh Sat 22 Oct 2011, 9:31 pm

Steffan Jones has been brilliant, and he nails the winning kick, the future really is looking good. Well played Dragons.

jay_welsh

Back to top Go down

Post by hawalsh Sat 22 Oct 2011, 9:35 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
I think your man's wrong, if this isn't a WASPS first team it is only three or so players short..

I really thought this comp was about the youth players not picking your stars, so that you blood players for the future ???

Six of the the starting Wasps side are 1st XV, Southwell, Varndell, Bell, Wade, Hart & Wentzel. There are more on the bench though.

Whether they were inclined to or not, few English club sides would be able to pick a side with as many young players as the Welsh provinces as they don't have the same feeder clubs to draw from.

hawalsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 22 Oct 2011, 9:42 pm

hawalsh wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Six of the the starting Wasps side are 1st XV, Southwell, Varndell, Bell, Wade, Hart & Wentzel. There are more on the bench though.

Whether they were inclined to or not, few English club sides would be able to pick a side with as many young players as the Welsh provinces as they don't have the same feeder clubs to draw from.

But they all have A sides, which the Welsh regions don't, and academies. So it would not be impossible for the to do so.

Back to top Go down

Post by SubsBench Sat 22 Oct 2011, 9:43 pm

Well done the Dragons. That was a great game and the Dragons youngsters were fantastic. Steffan Jones was impressive. Hope he gets enough game time at 10 instead of full back and keeps developing.

SubsBench

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 22 Oct 2011, 9:44 pm

Just to add that although it's an encouraging display from the Dragons, that's something like the 3rd game in the last 4 that we've been leading most of the game and gone on to lose in the last few minutes (Connacht, Glasgow, Wasps). Must learn to close games out.

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Sat 22 Oct 2011, 9:49 pm

I've been drinking shots for every try for the two Lv games so I may be a little blurry but fupp me the Dragons did well Very Happy

And two yellow cards against the Ospreys ? The 2nd one was harsh but the 1st was redonkulous !
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Turkster Sat 22 Oct 2011, 9:55 pm

Griff wrote:Just to add that although it's an encouraging display from the Dragons, that's something like the 3rd game in the last 4 that we've been leading most of the game and gone on to lose in the last few minutes (Connacht, Glasgow, Wasps). Must learn to close games out.

you won! laughing

Turkster

Back to top Go down

Post by hawalsh Sat 22 Oct 2011, 9:56 pm

Griff wrote:
hawalsh wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

But they all have A sides, which the Welsh regions don't, and academies. So it would not be impossible for the to do so.

A sides have as many old as young players in them though. The point I was making was a comparison of regularly competing young players available to them. For these games the provinces are able to select young players from a couple of clubs that play week in week out in the Welsh premiership.

hawalsh

Back to top Go down

Post by radelven Sat 22 Oct 2011, 10:09 pm

maestegmafia wrote:I really thought this comp was about the youth players not picking your stars, so that you blood players for the future ???

The thing is, more than a few of the Wasps' stars are the club's youth & future.

Comparing the starting sides, Dragons had the youngest guy on the pitch, Wasps had more players under 21 (4 vs 3) and Dragons had more players under 25 (7 vs 6).

radelven

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Sat 22 Oct 2011, 10:12 pm

Well done both teams playing open attacking rugby, a good Sat night viewing. A good result for tthe Dragons at least they have a flyhalf that can kick under pressure. Dragons defence was dire first half but a big improvement in the second half.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 22 Oct 2011, 10:17 pm

hawalsh wrote:
Griff wrote:
hawalsh wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Ok, but just for info when you refer to

A sides have as many old as young players in them though. The point I was making was a comparison of regularly competing young players available to them. For these games the provinces are able to select young players from a couple of clubs that play week in week out in the Welsh premiership.

Ok, fair enough but when you refer to the 'feeder clubs', these are just clubs that we send out academy players to to get game time, and then ask for them back when they're good enough, when we have injuries, or for game like this. In other words, they are academy players just like Wasps have, but there are a set number of clubs that we loan them too. What does Wasps do with their academy players? I know a few of them go to Championship sides, so there's not a huge amount of difference right?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 22 Oct 2011, 10:19 pm

Turkster wrote:
Griff wrote:Just to add that although it's an encouraging display from the Dragons, that's something like the 3rd game in the last 4 that we've been leading most of the game and gone on to lose in the last few minutes (Connacht, Glasgow, Wasps). Must learn to close games out.

you won! laughing

Ha! Awesome! I had to miss the last 20 but looked on my Dragons app on my phone and it said we'd lost to an injury time try! Happy days!

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 22 Oct 2011, 10:44 pm

Well said glam mate.

It was a great game congratulations to both sides for such entraprenureal spirit.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by dogtooth Sun 23 Oct 2011, 12:08 pm

so, dai 'yawn' young has taken his losing ways to wasps.

please dont let this guy coach wales.
dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Sun 23 Oct 2011, 9:56 pm

Dogtooth:

Well said!

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 23 Oct 2011, 10:22 pm

dogtooth wrote:so, dai 'yawn' young has taken his losing ways to wasps.

please dont let this guy coach wales.
He is a long way off coaching Wales... Has to prove himself at HEC level first.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down