The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lewis Moody Retires from International rugby

+11
Metal Tiger
G2
offload
eirebilly
Geordie
cabbagesandbrussels
B91212
majesticimperialman
Mr Bounce
bedfordwelsh
maestegmafia
15 posters

Go down

Lewis Moody Retires from International rugby Empty Lewis Moody Retires from International rugby

Post by maestegmafia Sun 23 Oct 2011, 1:48 am

Lewis Moody will not captain England again. The 33-year-old Bath flanker has decided to retire from international rugby following the national side's dismal showing at the World Cup.

"It's a big decision to make and I feel emotional about making it, but it's the right thing to do for me and for England," Moody, a World Cup winner in 2003, told The Mail on Sunday.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Lewis Moody Retires from International rugby Empty Re: Lewis Moody Retires from International rugby

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 23 Oct 2011, 4:08 pm

Good luck to him, always played it right on the edge and always put his body on the line for the cause.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Lewis Moody Retires from International rugby Empty Re: Lewis Moody Retires from International rugby

Post by Guest Sun 23 Oct 2011, 4:16 pm

Yep, good luck to him. He's been a fantastic, honest, hard-working player. I'm not sure he's been the right choice for captain but he always gave his all.

I swear he'd get a concussion mowing the lawn he's that committed!

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Sun 23 Oct 2011, 4:41 pm

Tis no surprise - I was amazed he actually made the world cup, being held together with safety pins, staples and gaffa tape. He was not the player he once was but has put his body on the line so many times for his country it's no surprise he had started to fall to bits.

That said, he was always super fit and super committed. Some of the young guns in the England set up could learn a thing or two from his example.

Enjoy your retirement Mad Dog thumbsup

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 23 Oct 2011, 5:19 pm

I am glad that Moody has decided to ritire from international rugby, his body is shot to pices with the amount of injuries he as had in his carier.
His commitment and the way he put his body on the line.

I do wish him all the best for the fututre.

Who do you think will take over the captains arm band now, surely not Tindall, surely he must be at retirement of his international game as well.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Sun 23 Oct 2011, 7:40 pm

The correct decision. His body is that shot now that if he had carried on people could have started remembering him for the wrong reasons (ie not worth his place in the team etc).

Great servant, good captain and deserves to remembered very highly. Enjoy your international retirement (Old) Mad Dog.

Needs to be a younger captain now (maybe Croft). We all knew Moody would be a shot-ish term captain but we need someone who can hopefully lead the team to the next wc in 2015.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by cabbagesandbrussels Mon 24 Oct 2011, 9:17 am

The Independant are talking about Tom Wood taking over as captain. He's seen in the ilk of Sam Warburton...a young captain with great potential and could lead the side for years...

...problem is, he is not a first choice in his position.

cabbagesandbrussels

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 24 Oct 2011, 9:19 am

The whole back row needs sorting out and balanced....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 24 Oct 2011, 9:21 am

As an Irishman the biggest compliment i can give Moody is that he was one of the most annoying players on the field.

Wish him well for the future.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Mon 24 Oct 2011, 9:23 am

Always liked watching him play - never seen a more full on player in any position. I do think he went on too long though. England would have been better served by someone else at this WC.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 24 Oct 2011, 9:33 am

"never seen a more full on player in any position."
Not convinced on that....Shalk Burger...for one.

"I do think he went on too long though. England would have been better served by someone else at this WC..."

Totally agree.... clap

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by G2 Mon 24 Oct 2011, 10:08 am

cabbagesandbrussels wrote:The Independant are talking about Tom Wood taking over as captain. He's seen in the ilk of Sam Warburton...a young captain with great potential and could lead the side for years...

...problem is, he is not a first choice in his position.

So is the Telegraph

G2

Back to top Go down

Post by Metal Tiger Mon 24 Oct 2011, 10:35 am

One of the most daring and committed players in the modern era. He was an amazing servant to club & country both off and on the field. A role model for many of the younger generation playing today.

The man was a Legend.

His career is coming to an end now and I think it is a testament to his character that he has decided to step down to make room for the next captain who will hopefully see us throough to 2015.

Metal Tiger
Metal Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowshot Mon 24 Oct 2011, 11:27 am

Never a captain in my book, but his courage and commitment were outstanding. Best of luck with Bath (gasp, choke...Wink)

Cowshot

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 24 Oct 2011, 11:43 am

Tom Wood would be an odd one. Hes not even established in teh squad. I wouldve though Croft was ahead.

Its more likely that theyw ill ask a senior player to stick around through the 6 nations and be capatin whilst they are sorting out who the coach and board are, then make a proper decision on a long term one.

It would be very odd to put in a young players as capatin out of the blue only to have them dumped from teh EPS a few weeks later by a new managment team.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by cabbagesandbrussels Tue 25 Oct 2011, 9:56 am

Thing about Tom Wood is that he's always played well when given the chance. The fact that he's not established in the squad is more down to poor selection by management than him as a player.

The more I think about it, the more it makes sense.

cabbagesandbrussels

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 25 Oct 2011, 10:25 am

For me, MJ or whoever takes over if indeed anyone does should have the minerals to give the armband to a young gun and then build team around him much like Gatland has done and indeed England done years back with Carling.

I think Lawes could be that man and the responsibility might do him good.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowshot Tue 25 Oct 2011, 10:40 am

Carling was light years ahead of his time in terms of the background stuff like fitness and commitment to the England team at a time when the team turned up the day before a game, threw a few balls around, had a fag and a few beers and turned out for England.

I simply don't know if any of the modern young guns have the modern equivalent of that sort of thinking.

Cowshot

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue 25 Oct 2011, 10:48 am

When he was injured in the 6N and Wood was playing, I think the balance of the backrow looked better. Moody was never a traditional fetcher. Just a mad dog who had a huge heart and gave his all. The captaincy issue for England probably kept Wood out of the running.

Now Moody´s out, I see Wood coming into the side. Think it´d be a mistake to give the captaincy to a ´senior´player. I like the idea of giving it to a relatively young player. Croft could be the right choice in that respect. Someone who will be the first choice on the team sheet and who has a few years in front of him to grow into the role.

That said, all the best for Moody in his retirement. I always like players who give their all on the pitch and have a never say die attitude.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by tomathy Tue 25 Oct 2011, 11:17 am

Well Hartley is ahead of Wood as Northampton captain, so it would be a very odd call to give Wood the England captaincy. He's not even Northampton vice-captain.
tomathy
tomathy

Back to top Go down

Post by cabbagesandbrussels Tue 25 Oct 2011, 11:26 am

tomathy wrote:Well Hartley is ahead of Wood as Northampton captain, so it would be a very odd call to give Wood the England captaincy. He's not even Northampton vice-captain.

Hartley has proven that he doesnt have the temprament(sp?) or discipline to lead the national side. He is also one the the many players not "nailed on" in the England side after a poor tournament.

I agree with the earlier post that the captaincy should not be given to a senior player. We need to start building for the future and have some continuity in the side, (which also means having a strong bench as back up which means those players are biting at the ankles of the starting XV.) The captaincy should go to someone who will definitely be there in 2015 which means the likes of, Croft, Wood, Lawes, or Youngs. I would be happy with any of them....

cabbagesandbrussels

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 25 Oct 2011, 12:05 pm

"Croft, Wood, Lawes, or Youngs. I would be happy with any of them....."

I personally wouldnt...

Croft ok he has captained Leicester, but the others...no. I just dont think they are influential enough to take that position.

Hartley is another no at the moment until his performances improve substantially.....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue 25 Oct 2011, 1:09 pm

cabbagesandbrussels wrote:
tomathy wrote:Well Hartley is ahead of Wood as Northampton captain, so it would be a very odd call to give Wood the England captaincy. He's not even Northampton vice-captain.

Hartley has proven that he doesnt have the temprament(sp?) or discipline to lead the national side. He is also one the the many players not "nailed on" in the England side after a poor tournament.

I agree with the earlier post that the captaincy should not be given to a senior player. We need to start building for the future and have some continuity in the side, (which also means having a strong bench as back up which means those players are biting at the ankles of the starting XV.) The captaincy should go to someone who will definitely be there in 2015 which means the likes of, Croft, Wood, Lawes, or Youngs. I would be happy with any of them....

How can you have continuity by making a player who isnt even in the side captain?

Yes long term England want a capatin who will be capable of leading them in 2015, but if the coach and board situation isnt clear by the 6 nations ( which it wont be) theres not much point in looking for a long term captain. Someone with expereince who can drag the guys along but would look to retire soon anyway would make much more sense.
If Thommo is still seen as number one hooker I wouldnt see him as a bad choice for a stop gap captain through the 6 nations. He ceratinly has the expereince and respect of the other players, and hasnt been involved in any of the silliness.

Hopefully England will have a permanent structure in place when the EPS and summer tour squad are selected in the summer. Thats when we should be looking for the long term captain, and guys like Wood and Croft can be selected depending on who the coach has confidence in and who knows they are the pick of that coach.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down