The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dan Parks has RETIRED from International Rugby.

+68
SB
funnyExiledScot
damngoodOvalball
SecretFly
R!skysports
tigertattie
RubyGuby
bsando
thomh
slartibartfast
rumpelstiltskindoh
GLove39
Taffineastbourne
donkeyprop
Ozzy3213
senghenydd1913
alive555
majesticimperialman
George Carlin
flynnnio
HERSH
MacKnocked-on
mckay1402
justified sinner
Cari
Triangulation
KickAndChase
TJ1
TycroesOsprey
flankertye
flyhalffactory
Scot Abroad
miteyironpaw
wales606
Shifty
gnollbeast
Adam D
PenfroPete
Tattie Scones RRN
Submachine
Cymroglan
nickj
Mr Bounce
offload
maestegmafia
sensisball
Gibson
munkian
Hollbeck Ghyll
NeilyBroon
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
MunsterMac
Chjw131
BigTrevsbigmac
ChequeredJersey
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
red_stag
mickyt
bluestonevedder
eirebilly
Knowsit17
21st Century Schizoid Man
Morgannwg
geoff998rugby
Effervescing Elephant
IanBru
Rugby_Girl
72 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Dan Parks has RETIRED from International Rugby. Empty Dan Parks has RETIRED from International Rugby.

Post by Rugby_Girl Tue 07 Feb 2012, 4:34 pm

http://www.scotlandrugbyteam.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2846&Itemid=9

Dan Parks has announced his retirement from International rugby with immediate effect

Edit in to OP (by Adam D)

The Scotland fly-half Dan Parks has retired from international rugby with immediate effect, the Scottish Rugby Union have announced.

The 33-year-old made his 67th Six Nations loss to England and was culpable for the decisive try as Charlie Hodgson charged down his kick.

The Cardiff Blues playmaker, who made his debut in 2004, has now made way for the next generation, with the Edinburgh captain Greig Laidlaw expected to start for Scotland in Sunday's Six Nations fixture against Wales in Cardiff and the uncapped Glasgow Warriors fly-half Duncan Weir set for a place on the replacements' bench.

Parks had been contemplating retiring after the World Cup, when he was second choice behind Ruaridh Jackson, but the lure of the opening Six Nations clash with England was too strong. However, now he has now called time on his Test career, insisting the time is right.

He said: "I was thinking about it but the first game of the Six Nations was against England, the auld enemy, Jacko was injured and being able to play against England was huge for me as there was a sense of unfinished business.

"On reflection after the game, after talking it over with my family, girlfriend and close friends, I've come to the decision that now is the right time to retire from the international game.

"There are some really talented guys coming through – Jacko, Greig and Duncan – and although I'm sad to be finishing my international career I have some fantastic memories of playing for Scotland and what that has meant to me.

"I've no regrets at what has been an amazing career for me. I've got my favourite moments for Scotland – uppermost being the 2007 World Cup.

"Other memorable moments have been the two wins against England at home [in 2006 and 2008], the win against South Africa here at Murrayfield [in November 2010], the two wins in Argentina in 2010 and one in 2008 and the Ireland game in 2010 which was a great occasion."

The Scotland head coach, Andy Robinson, did not select Parks in his first squad as head coach in 2009, but the Australia-born playmaker proved his credentials and has steered Scotland to a number of successes since returning.

However, he fell down the pecking order as Robinson fostered a more expansive game plan and now his Test career is over following 266 points, including a Scottish record 17 drop-goals.

Parks is the third long-serving Scot to retire following the World Cup, after Nathan Hines and Chris Paterson.

Robinson said: "I have really enjoyed working with Dan. He wasn't in my first Scotland squads, but through his own determination, hard work, skill and competitive spirit he forced his way back into selection.

"It's never an easy decision to make, but I feel Dan has made the right decision and thank him for his contribution over the years."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/feb/07/scotland-dan-parks-retires-international-rugby

Rugby_Girl

Back to top Go down

Dan Parks has RETIRED from International Rugby. Empty Re: Dan Parks has RETIRED from International Rugby.

Post by IanBru Tue 07 Feb 2012, 4:36 pm

I'm going to wait for a couple weeks before I offer some kind words about Parks.

The thing is, there ARE good things to be said for the guy, just not at this particular moment.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Dan Parks has RETIRED from International Rugby. Empty Re: Dan Parks has RETIRED from International Rugby.

Post by Effervescing Elephant Tue 07 Feb 2012, 4:36 pm

There go England's chances to retain the Calcutta cup next year...
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue 07 Feb 2012, 4:38 pm

I thought he retired on Friday Yahoo

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue 07 Feb 2012, 4:39 pm

LOL @ Parks. Scotland fans should be more confident of winning in Cardiff now.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Tue 07 Feb 2012, 4:40 pm

Is this a joke or a genuine champagne moment ? Yahoo

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Tue 07 Feb 2012, 4:44 pm

Nothing happens when I click the link..... is this a wum?

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue 07 Feb 2012, 4:45 pm

I cant open it either.... Joke thread?
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 07 Feb 2012, 4:46 pm

Has to be a WUM surely....he wouldn't retire in the middle of a tournament or on such a low....

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyt Tue 07 Feb 2012, 4:46 pm

Nope its the truth

http://www.scotlandrugbyteam.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2846&Itemid=9
mickyt
mickyt

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 07 Feb 2012, 4:47 pm

I've just got a text message about it.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 07 Feb 2012, 4:48 pm

That link isn't working. Here is it from RTE News - http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/sixnations/2012/0207/parksd.html
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 07 Feb 2012, 4:48 pm

Also here http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/16931078 and here http://www.therugbyblog.co.uk/dan-parks-retires-from-international-rugby

Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Tue 07 Feb 2012, 4:48 pm

Micky - again nothing happens when I click the link. Coincidentally the SRU site cannot open - wonder if there is a connection? Hmmmmm chin

Back to top Go down

Dan Parks has RETIRED from International Rugby. Empty Did he fall or was he pushed?

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Tue 07 Feb 2012, 4:48 pm

Dan Parkes announces international retirement forthwith. (Sky reporting)

But still good enough for regional Welsh Rugby Very Happy

Merged this with the existing thread - KRD

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 07 Feb 2012, 4:48 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/16931078

It appears to be real. Despite the shocker he had on Saturday I really really feel for the guy. Causing his team to lose like that cannot have been fun, and neither can the media and public criticism and the booing from his own crowd
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 07 Feb 2012, 4:49 pm

He's obviously been dropped and has decided thats it.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Tue 07 Feb 2012, 4:49 pm

Shizz it's true!! Just came up on the beeb.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/16931078.stm

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue 07 Feb 2012, 4:50 pm

My apologies Ruby, i suspected a joke thread but its the truth
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Chjw131 Tue 07 Feb 2012, 4:50 pm

Confirmed retirement. Well it's currently good news for Scotland, but he has done a lot for the team over many seasons.

Chjw131

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 07 Feb 2012, 4:51 pm

whooooooah

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by MunsterMac Tue 07 Feb 2012, 4:54 pm

"I was thinking about it but the first game of the Six Nations was against England, the Auld Enemy, and being able to play was huge for me.

"On reflection, after talking it over with family, I've come to the decision that now is the right time to retire."
Jesus talk about a plonker!

Either before or after the Six Nations.

Not one match in.

MunsterMac

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 07 Feb 2012, 4:55 pm

TFFT

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Tue 07 Feb 2012, 4:55 pm

its bad, I feel elated and yet guilty at the same time, I'm sure he's a nice bloke but... FINALLY!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by Hollbeck Ghyll Tue 07 Feb 2012, 4:56 pm

Wow. Kind of caught in two minds here. Obviously I'm glad that he won't be troubling the starting line up again, but I also feel for the guy. Taking so much flak (remember when he got even more bad press than now?) and responsibility for Saturday must be tough for him. A noble decision really.

Hollbeck Ghyll

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Tue 07 Feb 2012, 4:56 pm

Can't he take Robinson with him ? Oh and Townsend too ! They like him ! kiss

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Tue 07 Feb 2012, 4:56 pm

As someone from outside the bubble of Scottish rugby who has remained passive of Parks' pros and cons, I now feel rather sorry for him. Judging from all the negativity towards him lately, this'll be cause for celebrations up north but really it doesn't sound like a nice way to go. And some of the flack he's getting really is hysterical stuff.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 07 Feb 2012, 4:58 pm

Hollbeck Ghyll wrote:Wow. Kind of caught in two minds here. Obviously I'm glad that he won't be troubling the starting line up again, but I also feel for the guy. Taking so much flak (remember when he got even more bad press than now?) and responsibility for Saturday must be tough for him. A noble decision really.
Hollbeck, I know what you mean, but why go now? I mean one game into the 6Ns? Should've saved some dignity and gone before imo

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 07 Feb 2012, 4:59 pm

MunsterMac wrote:
"I was thinking about it but the first game of the Six Nations was against England, the Auld Enemy, and being able to play was huge for me.

"On reflection, after talking it over with family, I've come to the decision that now is the right time to retire."
Jesus talk about a plonker!

Either before or after the Six Nations.

Not one match in.

I think it's fair. He wanted to play England, his coach had faith in him, he has played International rugby to a reasonable quality before. Then that one match and the reactions to it and the crowd booing his moves and the fact he gave away a try have probably crushed his confidence
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 07 Feb 2012, 5:00 pm

Knowsit17 wrote:As someone from outside the bubble of Scottish rugby who has remained passive of Parks' pros and cons, I now feel rather sorry for him. Judging from all the negativity towards him lately, this'll be cause for celebrations up north but really it doesn't sound like a nice way to go. And some of the flack he's getting really is hysterical stuff.
Knowsit, he wasn't very good on Saturday, but by no means the only player at fault. In fact, nobody can blame Parks for his selection, that sits squarely at Robinson's door. I can only imagine that he was dropped for the Welsh match and has been given the grace to "announce his retirement"

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Tue 07 Feb 2012, 5:00 pm

I kind of want to buy him a consolidation drink, that really was an atrocious match to leave on and bad criticism raining in. I think he should've called it a day after 2010 and left on a high. Shame actually, although I think it's good news for Scotland who desperately need to get up to scratch with a new set of half backs/backs

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by Hollbeck Ghyll Tue 07 Feb 2012, 5:00 pm

AsLongAs, true. But he must have been considering it before the 6N, came to the decision that he would give one more go, thinking he was still up to it, then Saturday happened.
He probably should have gone before, but I think this has taken some guts rather than plow on till the end of the tournament

Last edited by Hollbeck Ghyll on Tue 07 Feb 2012, 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

Hollbeck Ghyll

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 07 Feb 2012, 5:00 pm

This is awful news.... for Wales.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Tue 07 Feb 2012, 5:01 pm

I wonder will ROG follow his lead after the 6-N and do us all a favour. It would escalate the International development of Madigan by the IRFU, who is as good, if not better than Sexton in open play. Just needs more kicking experience. Believe me, he'd get it soon enough for Leinster, if ROG hangs up his international boots.

Last edited by Gibson on Tue 07 Feb 2012, 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 07 Feb 2012, 5:01 pm

Hollbeck Ghyll wrote:True. But he must have been considering it before the 6N, came to the decision that he would give one more go, thinking he was still up to it, then Saturday happened.
He probably should have gone before, but I think this has taken some guts rather than plow on till the end of the tournament
"Guts" or shown the door?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 07 Feb 2012, 5:02 pm

Gibson wrote:I wonder will ROG follow his lead after the 6-N and do us all a favour. It would escalate the development of Madigan by the IRFU, who is as good, if not better than Sexton in open play. Just needs more kicking experience. Believe me, he'd get it soon enough for Leinster, if ROG hangs up his international boots.
Ha, ha, trust you, ye naughty boy - we'll have Sin quoting stats ad nauseam at us on this thread now! laughing

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Hollbeck Ghyll Tue 07 Feb 2012, 5:02 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
Hollbeck Ghyll wrote:True. But he must have been considering it before the 6N, came to the decision that he would give one more go, thinking he was still up to it, then Saturday happened.
"Guts" or shown the door?

Haha, that is true...

One of Weir or Laidlaw starting! Yahoo

Hollbeck Ghyll

Back to top Go down

Post by MunsterMac Tue 07 Feb 2012, 5:03 pm

ChequeredJersey

Depends on what kind of man you are I suppose.

Parks that is.

MunsterMac

Back to top Go down

Dan Parks has RETIRED from International Rugby. Empty Dan Parks retires from International duty!!!

Post by sensisball Tue 07 Feb 2012, 5:03 pm

Hold the front page. Dan has done the decent thing and put us, and himself, out of his misery, announcing his retirement from Scotland duties. At least we will have Laidlaw for Sunday from the start.
Thanks for the 2010 season and good luck with Cardiff for the rest of the season.

Merging this thread into the existing Parks Retires one - KRD

sensisball

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 07 Feb 2012, 5:05 pm

Rugby_Girl wrote:
The Scotland fly-half Dan Parks has retired from international rugby with immediate effect, the Scottish Rugby Union have announced.

What about the poor old blues fans???

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Tue 07 Feb 2012, 5:05 pm

Very strange timing and I'm sorry but also bad form. He should have showed committment to his team mates and the tournament even if dropped.

offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 07 Feb 2012, 5:08 pm

offload wrote:Very strange timing and I'm sorry but also bad form. He should have showed committment to his team mates and the tournament even if dropped.

I disagree. If he has decided that he is being picked but thinks that his selection is bad for Scotland then the noblest thing to do would be to make himself unavailable for selection. This may not be what happened, but I don't think we should make any assumptions about his reasons for retiring unless new information comes forward. If we do then we make a negative assumption about his character based on rugby reasons and that is unfair and inappropriate and beneath us
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Tue 07 Feb 2012, 5:10 pm

Wow! Talk about falling on your sword! As an Englishman I am sorry to see him go, but I am still amazed he was picked for so long - he was even more one-dimensional than Andy Goode!

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Tue 07 Feb 2012, 5:10 pm

I think some of the comments on this thread stink. He is a professional rugby player for goodness sake. He always gave his all and I'm sure few 606 ers played rugby as well as he did. Yes, we can all have a moan and its fun to pick our teams, but have a bit of respect. Fly halves get charged down, some fly halves play differently than others. I will always respect anyone who wore a Scotland jersey.

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 07 Feb 2012, 5:10 pm

Mr Bounce wrote:Wow! Talk about falling on your sword! As an Englishman I am sorry to see him go, but I am still amazed he was picked for so long - he was even more one-dimensional than Andy Goode!
He had less impact on the players' food supplies tho cake

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Tue 07 Feb 2012, 5:11 pm

I think his timing is completely wrong he should have retired before the 6N or after it but not because he would more than likely be dropped for the next match.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Tue 07 Feb 2012, 5:12 pm

Feel for the guy. He would most likely have dropped out of the 22, he could have faded into the background and been forgotten about by the end of the 6 Nations. This announcement has a ring of anguish about it. Hope he's not too hard on himself. It is in the end only a game.

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Tue 07 Feb 2012, 5:12 pm

This is from the BBC....

'Scotland stand-off Dan Parks retires from international rugbyStand-off Dan Parks has announced his retirement from international rugby.

The Australian-born Cardiff Blues player made 67 appearances for Scotland and scored 266 points, including 17 drop-goals, a Scottish record.

"I was thinking about it but the first game of the Six Nations was against England and being able to play was huge for me," said the 33-year-old.

Parks' decision to play in this year's Six Nations was also swayed by Ruaridh Jackson's absence through injury for the first two matches.

His place in the team is likely to be taken by Duncan Weir, Greig Laidlaw or Phil Godman. '

More to follow...

Shut up you cretins - I don't pay my licence fee for you eejits to come up with moronic ideas and getting Robinson thinking any more than he has to.

FAO Dan Parks - a little too late my friend but at least you had the balls and dignity to do it instead of plodding on and making even more of a cow erse of yourself.

clap

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Tue 07 Feb 2012, 5:14 pm

nickj wrote:I think some of the comments on this thread stink. He is a professional rugby player for goodness sake. He always gave his all and I'm sure few 606 ers played rugby as well as he did. Yes, we can all have a moan and its fun to pick our teams, but have a bit of respect. Fly halves get charged down, some fly halves play differently than others. I will always respect anyone who wore a Scotland jersey.

Well said Nick. I think some fans are still a bit raw after last weekend. He played international rugby beyond his sell-by date. But I remember him having some blinders for Scotland in the past. So let him go with some dignity.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Tue 07 Feb 2012, 5:14 pm

AsLongAs, wouldn't be surprised if that is 100% how it's happened. Robinson really should own up now if he hasn't already, how he picked Parks ahead of Laidlaw and Weir even caught me off guard and as I've said I hardly keep up entirely with Scottish rugby.

Parks to me seems to have the bearing of someone who thought they'd have one last tournament, maybe even one last year but who's been shaken so badly after one shocker too many and the scrutiny of their position that he just can't be bothered now. Sounds like he caved to criticism when I strongly suspect he originally wanted to keep going long enough to go out in style.

Really quite depressing when you think of it.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next