The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leinster squad announced for the Heino roysh.

+11
thebandwagonsociety
Ozzy3213
rodders
Sin é
greybeard
asoreleftshoulder
Feckless Rogue
pete (buachaill on eirne)
Mickado
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Gibson
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Leinster squad announced for the Heino roysh. Empty Leinster squad announced for the Heino roysh.

Post by Gibson Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:47 pm

Great squad, but no Shaggy. Which is a shame. He is injured and I for one, hope he makes his way back to the squad for one last hurrah. After his brilliant form last season, which helped take us to Nirvana. And for 10 seasons before it - he deserves it more than anyone. Carr and Conway must see this as a huge chance to impress.

A few fairly rested players like McFadden, Cronin, Boss and Cullen, will be chomping at the bit. I think Deccie did us a favour coming into this HC.

Sexton and Reddan should also be primed.

It will be interesting to see what Schmidt does about slowly replacing our aging centre-pairing this year. O Malley, Fitzgerald, McFadden and Macken - will all be looking to stake their claim. I hope they do. Its time.

Madigan too, must look to challenge Sexton, when given the chance. He is improving fast in the PRO12. Running games and kicking better than Sexton at the minute.

Really not sure about John Cooney and wished we had kept POD. We'll see. Leinster must see it in him.

LEINSTER SQUAD: FORWARDS: Leo Auva’a, Damian Browne, Seán Cronin, Leo Cullen, Aaron Dundon, Jamie Hagan, Cian Healy, Jamie Heaslip, Shane Jennings, Jack McGrath, Kevin McLaughlin, Seán O’Brien, Jack O’Connell, Mike Ross, Rhys Ruddock, Richardt Strauss, Dominic Ryan, Steven Sykes, Devin Toner, Heinke Van Der Merwe, Nathan White.

BACKS: Mat Berquist, Fionn Carr, Andrew Conway, John Cooney, Gordon D’Arcy, Luke Fitzgerald, David Kearney, Rob Kearney, Brendan Macken, Ian Madigan, Fergus McFadden, Isa Nacewa, Brian O’Driscoll, Eoin O’Malley, Eoin Reddan, Issac Boss, Jonathan Sexton.

EDIT: Boss was named in the Forwards originally - error by Irish Times. Naughty Step. Now corrected. Thanks Mickado.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2011/1025/1224306445504.html

Last edited by Gibson on Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:38 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : The Irish Times lied to me.)
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Leinster squad announced for the Heino roysh. Empty Re: Leinster squad announced for the Heino roysh.

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:53 pm

Gibson wrote:Great squad, but no Shaggy. Which is a shame. He is injured and I for one, hope he makes his way back to the squad for one last hurrah. After his brilliant form last season, which helped take us to Nirvana. And for 10 seasons before it - he deserves it more than anyone. Carr and Conway must see this as a huge chance to impress.

A few fairly rested players like McFadden, Cronin, Boss and Cullen, will be chomping at the bit. I think Deccie did us a favour coming into this HC.

Sexton and Reddan should also be primed.

It will be interesting to see what Schmidt does about slowly replacing our aging centre-pairing this year. O Malley, Fitzgerald, McFadden and Macken - will all be looking to stake their claim. I hope they do. Its time.

Madigan too, must look to challenge Sexton, when given the chance. He is improving fast in the PRO12. Running games and kicking better than Sexton at the minute.

Really not sure about John Cooney and wished we had kept POD. We'll see. Leinster must see it in him.

LEINSTER SQUAD: FORWARDS: Leo Auva’a, Isaac Boss, Damian Browne, Seán Cronin, Leo Cullen, Aaron Dundon, Jamie Hagan, Cian Healy, Jamie Heaslip, Shane Jennings, Jack McGrath, Kevin McLaughlin, Seán O’Brien, Jack O’Connell, Mike Ross, Rhys Ruddock, Richardt Strauss, Dominic Ryan, Steven Sykes, Devin Toner, Heinke Van Der Merwe, Nathan White.

BACKS: Mat Berquist, Tommy Bowe, Andrew Conway, John Cooney, Gordon D’Arcy, Luke Fitzgerald, David Kearney, Rob Kearney, Brendan Macken, Ian Madigan, Fergus McFadden, Isa Nacewa, Brian O’Driscoll, Eoin O’Malley, Eoin Reddan, Jonathan Sexton.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2011/1025/1224306445504.html
I think the Bowe for Carr deal is possibly he smartest move that Leinster could've made OK And he didn't really want to go back north anyhew Whistle

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Leinster squad announced for the Heino roysh. Empty Re: Leinster squad announced for the Heino roysh.

Post by Gibson Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:03 pm

Yeah AS,
Obviously, we cant announce that yet. Tommy is haggling for better terms from the IRFU and Carr doesn't to want to drop his level. Wants silverware apparently. Both greedy beggars. Ho-hum.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:36 am

Gibbo, as for Boss being announced as a forward that’s just a screw up on behalf of the Times, you don’t have to name a certain amount of forwards but you do need to name at least 10 front row players in the squad.

I can’t understand why Berquist is named and Shaggy isn’t. I was under the impression that Shaggy would be back any week now and that Berquist was out for 3 or 4 months. This is either very good news for Mat or very bad news for Shane, I know which one I’d prefer.

Our strongest pack picks itself (Sykes / Toners aside), so I only really expect to see changes in the outside backs. Can see BOD moving to 12 with EOM or Fergus outside him, Fitzgerald and R. Kearney on the wings with Nacewa at fullback. Carr/D. Kearney/Conway on the bench.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:07 am

Yeah seems like an odd call putting in Berquist guess he is just recovering quicker than usual.
Makes sense having a third flyhalf in there but Nacewa can play there at a push too. Hope Berquist doesn't turn into the next CJ Van Der Linde, Madigan is playing very well at the moment however.

Cooney seems to be a weakness as does our second row but maybe Toner has stepped up a bit or Skyes is better than I've seen so far. Hope the former rather than the latter.

Can see BOD and Darcy being challenged and in the case of Darcy being replaced also wondering does DOm Ryan have a chance of displacing Jenno by the end of the season?

Looks like a very good squad all in all IMO. Serious amount of backline options

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:52 pm

I wish we held onto POD too, for our sake. But I think the move was right for him. Maybe he'll come back when Reddan and Boss are finished.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:57 pm

We are still quite strong at 9 and our rotationary selection worked really well last year.

So glad we have Schmidt as a coach seems like a really sensible yet innovative coach.

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:09 pm

We look to have strength in depth everywhere execpt lock and TH prop (although Hagan looks like he'll be good enough he's not yet proven).We should be in for another strong season with a reasonably soft HC pool and despite some shaky perfromances we haven't fallen too far behind in the Rabo.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:24 pm

Feckless Rogue wrote:I wish we held onto POD too, for our sake. But I think the move was right for him. Maybe he'll come back when Reddan and Boss are finished.

He hasn't impressed me in what little I've seen of him for Connacht. I thought he'd have put more pressure on Frank Murphy by now, but apparently Dave Moore is just back from injury and looking a lot livelier. I think it was Moore we should have held on to.

Still, Willis looked excellent last time out, deserved MOTM. He might rethink his decision to retire before the season is out.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:38 pm

I think Hagan has been pretty good so far this year myself. Of all our signings he is the one who I have been the most pleasantly surprised by, although like how well Carr is playing too.

I think lock is going to be our achillies heel this year, "Locky to lock" please!

Yeah I like Willis clever player

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:59 pm

Hines is a big loss. He wanted to stay. Schmidt made it clear he wanted to keep him. I can't remember what happened? Was it that the IRFU didn't want to re-sign him because of his age and because he was NIQ? Or did Clermont come and offer a contract he couldn't refuse?
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:00 pm

Hagan has been steady, which is good to see. Carr was excellent against Dragons and woeful against Connacht, he needs to be more consistent if he has any hope of making his mark in the team.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:03 pm

Hines wanted to stay Leinster wanted him to stay, but IRFU felt he was getting in the way of Toner (and other young locks, I don't know who they mean here), so they decided to get rid of him and buy another lock who isn't as good.

I do think Toner has improved since last year looking at some of the early performances doesn't carry as high as he did. Maybe he can get into the team and really kick on, hes still young for a lock.

I think Carr has been pretty good over the last 5 matches or so myself connacht game aside.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:58 pm

Was it not over the length of contract? IRFU would only let Leinster give him a one year one and he got a 2 year one from Clermont.

Anyone NIQ over 30 is subject to this like Doug Howlett. I believe it was the major decider for Warwick as well. Munster were only able to offer him a 1 year contract and he got a 3 year one from Stade.

Lucky for us, Howlett is prepared to hang around - though he probably realises Munster will do their best to keep renewing it every year.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:02 pm

To be honest Sins explanation sounds more plausible and rings a bell too. I can't believe the IRFU would prevent Leinster keeping Hines if they had wanted to. I'm sure Hines descision to leave was down to him or leinster or both.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:06 pm

Oh didn't realise that, bit silly really of the IRFu but you can see what they are trying to do

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:42 pm

Well I would Pete if they hadn't of gave BOD, ROG and co 2 or 3 year contract extensions. Clearly they think that age affects NIQ players more than IQ players?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:22 pm

Hines would be 37 though in 2 years time. There is every chance Leinster would discard him next year anyway as Leo will also be getting on - Leinster need new blood in the 2nd row.

Won't Sykes become a Project player when Strauss becomes Ireland qualified?

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:39 pm

I think that's the idea. I still haven't seen Sykes play. I hope he turns out to be as good as Strauss was last year.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:43 pm

Sin is right. That was the reason Hines left.
2 years on a nice fat contract at ASM? Had to take it. And remember, he came to us from France, so no problem settling in again and a no-brainer. He scored a try and played really well for them last weekend, when ASM hammered Perpignan. He may come back to haunt us, should we make the playoffs.

We will miss him badly as an enforcer. He improved his offloading game and all round rugby skills last year. Schmidt seems to improve every player he has under his tutelage. Young and old.

Also agree on Cillian Willis. A Leinster boy come good again. Maybe Joe will revitalise his career and offer him a contract.

What are peoples choices to replace BOD & Darcy and why? I see McFadden at 12 and Macken at 13 after next year. O Malley in the mix. Cant see Fitzy doing it. Although it may be his only chance with the plethora of wingers coming through. I see him as an out-and-out winger. Conway is a super-fast winger and FB. Carr is a speedster who needs to improve his all-round game. Specially in defence. Shaggy may be back to shove one of them aside. One thing we have lacked over the last 2/3 years - is pace. Conway and Carr have it. McFadden, Macken and O Malley too.

Interesting times...

Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:52 pm

I think Fitz needs to make it as a centre or he'll never live up to his potential.He's played on the wing for years now and while he has an okay try scoring record for Leinster his Irish try scoring rate is abysmal.While very sound defensively he never really produces much in attack in the big games and if he wants to play at the highest level this needs to change.

I hope Schmidt can improve him as right now when I think of Luke Fitz the first thing that comes to mind is him butchering countless attacking plays for both Leinster and Ireland by overrunning the pass.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:53 pm

I though Willis had retired? I can't see anyone breaking up the D'arcy/ O'Driscoll partnership this season. Not at provincial level anyway.

I think both will feature less in League though. If it's at Kidneys request that Fitzgerald has been playing in the centre then I'd say he's at the front of the chasing pack.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:53 pm

Also, I think Strauss becomes eligible this season. Best is well in the driving-seat after his performaces at the RWC. Possibly our best player overall, imo.

Cronin will be looking to oust Strauss. Every top European side has 2 players capable of doing a job in the HC. We have them now at Hooker, SH, 2 x backrows, getting there at standoff with Madigan. Oodles of backline options... But need to sort out a formidable front row/tight-5 backup. Problems are at lock really. I hope Sykes works out, Toner improves, Hagan shows his promise and they switch McLaughlin to lock over the next season.

Last edited by Gibson on Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:02 pm

asoreleftshoulder wrote:I think Fitz needs to make it as a centre or he'll never live up to his potential.He's played on the wing for years now and while he has an okay try scoring record for Leinster his Irish try scoring rate is abysmal.While very sound defensively he never really produces much in attack in the big games and if he wants to play at the highest level this needs to change.

I hope Schmidt can improve him as right now when I think of Luke Fitz the first thing that comes to mind is him butchering countless attacking plays for both Leinster and Ireland by overrunning the pass.

Sore,
I tend to agree. In fact, I think this year is make-or-break for him. He is a confidence player and it hit rock-bottom pre-RWC. How he handles this, will define his future, both at Leinster and for Ireland. I still see him as a winger - needs a mental cuddle and a kick up de orse. The way he was talking, he felt it was his divine right to play for both club & country. Schmidt may be the man to get him back to his Lions form. If not - Fitz is gone to England or France imo. No time for sympathy at this level. He must get it back or he will be by-passed by Kearney, Conway & Carr. Maybe his future is in the centre. I'm still not sure about it. I don't think anyone is.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:09 pm

roddersm wrote:I though Willis had retired? I can't see anyone breaking up the D'arcy/ O'Driscoll partnership this season. Not at provincial level anyway.

I think both will feature less in League though. If it's at Kidneys request that Fitzgerald has been playing in the centre then I'd say he's at the front of the chasing pack.

Rodders,
Willis had retired. I think after failure at Ulster and then to Connacht... he grew tired of it all. He was brought in as temp cover for Reddan and Boss' gig at the RWC. And TF he was ... Cooney was just not at the races. He is not in the HC squad. Cooney is. So....

And feic Kidney! He wasted precious time with Fitzgerald, TOL & FLA. I hope Leinster take care of Leinster 1st. And not pander to a situation which holds us back.

"I’ve always been a Leinster player. My dad played for Leinster, my uncle played for Leinster, my cousin played for Leinster. I’m a Leinster lad. I don’t make any apologies for it. That’s my team." [i]

(c) Denis Hickie.

Last edited by Gibson on Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:10 pm

Yeah it's hard to tell where's he's best suited,he seems to have all the skills to play wing or centre but it never really seems to come together.I hope he can kick on because there's plenty of lads queuing up to take over if he doesn't produce the goods.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:11 pm

Fitzgerald may need to leave Leinster to fulfil his potential, he seems to have stagnated a bit, and a move to France potentially could be the making of him, as he has bundles of talent.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:33 pm

Gibson wrote:Yeah AS,
Obviously, we cant announce that yet. Tommy is haggling for better terms from the IRFU and Carr doesn't to want to drop his level. Wants silverware apparently. Both greedy beggars. Ho-hum.

Is this legit? or are people blowing smoke up voids?

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:34 pm

True Ozzy. France or England. It worked a treat for Jennings & Cullen at Tigers. They came back winners and helped turn us into winners. Send him to Tigers. I'm sure Portnoy would approve of the helpful, temporary - sojourn. Its great having the English cream there to re-invigorate our ailing stars. He'd love it at LI. Wink

Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:36 pm

thebandwagonsociety wrote:
Gibson wrote:Yeah AS,

Is this legit? or are people blowing smoke up voids?

We can't really talk about it Band. Its all hush-hush. Ulster & O's fans will seeth. But they will come round in the end and realise that Tommy needs and deserves, to play at a higher-level.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:41 pm

To be fair Gibbo, not sure we have room for him at London Irish, and I never thought I'd hear myself saying that before the season started.

We have 2 better fullbacks than him, and he certainly wouldn't be first choice on the wing. JJ is nailing down the 13 shirt with Ansbro as back up, so that just leaves the 12 jersye and I am reasonably happy with Hape and Shingler there, albeit neither will ever quite live up to Mapusua there.

I'd say France would be Fitzy's best option and could be the making of him.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:50 pm

I agree Ozzy. Just pullin yer leg. France would be the answer. Be the perfect place for him to grow-up a wee bit. I think its more than the rugby with him. He's like a big kid. Needs different and inspiring influences to make him a more complete player, imo. If Schmidt cant do it... I don't know who can. A different setup may alter his perspective and make him a better player. He deserves another year to prove himself. He has the skills. They don't disappear overnight.

Best of luck v Baff this weekend. Soften em up for us. OK

Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:58 pm

I think you're right, it is about more than just rugby for him. I have no doubt that Saracens improvements in the last 2 season are in large part down to Brendon Venter's philosophy of developing the players as people first, rugby players second.

Fitzy got a lot, very quickly in his career, and is still a young man who has some growing up to do.

I'm nervy about Batt this week, we've not beaten them at home since 2006/07 season, but we definitely have the backline to right that statistic this year.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:03 pm

I think Fitzgerald 'poor form' has been exaggerated. Yes he had a very poor 6N at fullback but his end of season form was pretty good and he played fairly well in the summer tests.

I thought he was extremely unfortunate not to make the RWC squad and he still has plenty to offer. A move to centre would probably improve his international prospects and perhaps his Leinster prospects too.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:13 pm

I don't know Rodders,he was playing poorly up to the HC final,he then had 2 good games against Northampton and Munster but it was strong defensive work where he made his mark as usual.Up to that game I think McFadden deserved to start on the wing ahead of him.

He scored a good try for Leinster v Ulster towards the end of the season but that masked an otherwise very ordinary performance.For Ireland the run against France was an example of what he can do but so often fails to.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:18 pm

He hasn't been the same player since he came back from the Lions Tour 2009 Rodders. He was at his peak then. Also after his leg injury. It diminished his mojo.

The Lions are responsible for doing that to Kearney, as well as the long term injuries. I really wonder about the benefit of it. Great honour - hard price to pay sometimes.

I think it affects them both mentally and physically. Players like BOD and POC can handle it in their stride. Younger players seem to take ages to get over it.

That said, maybe missing the RWC will be a blessing in disguise. Wake him up after a good rest. Wake him up because his pride must have hurt badly.

It's how he handles this mentally - is key.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:26 pm

I definitely think Fitzy should focus on playing outside centre and nowhere else. McFadden at 12 with Fitzgerald at 13 to take over the D'Arcy and BOD combination. I think that could work very well indeed.

And if he was to move anywhere, Munster would do well having him as a centre.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:33 pm

Is Schmidt over rated?

"If Schmidt cant do it... I don't know who can"

"Schmidt seems to improve every player he has under his tutelage. Young and old"

"So glad we have Schmidt as a coach seems like a really sensible yet innovative coach"

IMO Leinsters forwards have been improving steadily since Jono Gibbes took over as forwards coach. The scrum guru is clearly Greg Feek and Michael Cheika achieved a European Cup and Magners Leagues with Leinster - they didn't suddenly get good the minute they took over.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:35 pm

Should point out I do rate Schmidt, especially as a backs coach. But people attribute a godlike status to him. All RWC long the cries were "Schmidt for Ireland coach" which just seems over the top.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:49 pm

Schmidt probably is overrated a bit. But he won the Heineken Cup in his first year. And made a Magners final. Can't argue with that. What has boosted his reputation among Leinster fans even more than just becoming Champions of Europe is the style in which we played in the HEC.

The attacking was great to watch and we were scoring an average of about 30 points per match in Europe. We already had a tough defence and a tough pack. The scrum was highlighted as a problem after the 08/09 season and was improved by Greg Feek. But there's no doubt Schmidt improved the quality of our attacking play to a level only Toulouse can match.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:54 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing Schmidt as the Ireland backs coach. But I think Kidney is a backs coach too. And I heard Gaffney wasn't getting much influence in the way Ireland were attacking. I'd love to see Schmidt get full control of Ireland's backs.

But now that he has a taste of success as a head coach maybe he has ambitions to build a legacy with Leinster and then maybe get a job as an international head coach?
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:55 pm

I think what Schmidt has done is improve the link play between forwards and backs excellently.

However I've been less than impressed with several backs under his spell as coach such as Darcy and Fitzgerald. Possibly even BOD. It was Horgan and Nacewa who were your inspiring backs last year.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:55 pm

BTW Feckless (just saw your second post) I'd love to see Ireland appoint Schmidt to be backs coach. I think Gaffeny is useless.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:11 pm

red_stag wrote:Is Schmidt over rated?

"If Schmidt cant do it... I don't know who can"

"Schmidt seems to improve every player he has under his tutelage. Young and old"

"So glad we have Schmidt as a coach seems like a really sensible yet innovative coach"

IMO Leinsters forwards have been improving steadily since Jono Gibbes took over as forwards coach. The scrum guru is clearly Greg Feek and Michael Cheika achieved a European Cup and Magners Leagues with Leinster - they didn't suddenly get good the minute they took over.

All that's true Stag. But, we got away from being Leinster for 2 years. Cheika started well. Got rid of the Ladyboy tag in 2 years. No longer played just sexy rugby and getting bullied up front. We had a pack to be feared. Got in the right staff. Then he sacrificed our creed and we started playing like Tigers & Munster in the end. (no offence)

Since Feek was brought in. And Schmidt organised, motivated and set free - our Cheika-suppressed backline, we started to dominate teams up-front and blowing teams away from the back.

Its a different World and Schmidt is responsible for it.

Cheika was responsible for changing us from also-rans to Winners. He built the base for success. That's true. But, Schmidt has brought through a vast amount of new players. Trusted in them where Cheika would not And still won the HC in his 1st year. After Rocky - when most said we would dip. We didn't. SOB stepped up. We just got stronger and far better to watch again. A far more balanced and rounded team.

Nacewa, for one - has blossomed beyond belief under him. He's been unleashed. So too has Dave Kearney. And Cian Healy. And Mike Ross. And Johnny Sexton. And Reddan. And Boss... Even BOD looked happier than he has in years. Said he's learning new tricks from him. Huge praise. Not to mention all the academy players he has trusted and improved.

He is like a breath of fresh air. And he has been vital to Ireland's progress - indirectly.

Ireland need him on-board. Badly. But only as a consultant. Like Feek. Leinster need him for another 2 years yet.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:02 am

Not many coaches go from being the backs coach at a T14 winning team to coaching the HC winners and ML runners up. We also scored 70odd tries last season which was a phenomenal improvement on the year before.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:23 am

Gibson wrote:Rodders,
Willis had retired. I think after failure at Ulster and then to Connacht... he grew tired of it all. He was brought in as temp cover for Reddan and Boss' gig at the RWC.

Wasn't so much failure as injuries. Poor lad had a list of injuries as long as my... well, quite long anyway. After last season he decided to move back home, pack it in as a full timer and play part time with a club, effectively retiring as a pro. As you say, he delayed the retirement after being asked to by Leinster.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:43 am

So is Willis back on a long term contract? Looked a good player but didn't play much for Ulster due to injuries.

Still think Fitz is getting a raw deal compared to other players like McFadden and O'Malley. McFadden at 25 has done very little impressive in any jersey IMO but a lot of people are touting him as the next BOD or D'arcy, whereas seemingly every mistake poor old Fitz makes is being used to hilight that he's not up to scratch anymore despite having achieved far more at a similar age.

Interesting stuff on Schmidt I never quite understood why he is held in such high regard when Cheika had amassed similar achievements.

I'm not sure backs coach would be the role for him with Ireland though because, as has been mentioned, the main feature of Leinsters attack has been the backs and forwards combining. For Schmidt to have a real impact I think he'd need control over all of the attacking play.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:49 am

Rodders I'm sure that he would if he came into the Irish set up.

Declan Kidney - Director of Rugby
Gert Smal - Forwards Coach
Greg Feek - Scrum Coach
Les Kiss - Defensive Coach
Joe Schmidt - Offensive Coach
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:19 am

Munster would be a good move for Fitz I think - back to where he first started playing rugby as kid for Cork Con. Smile And of course, he was orginally going to move to Munster because Leinster would not give him a contract as an 18 year old.

I think Schmidt seems to be a really, really nice bloke and a good coach, but a tad over rated. Leinster fans love him because they are big into being entertained, but what they don't seem to realise is that they have lost their last two games against Munster and have not scored a try for something like 130 mins against Munster (Munster have scored 3) Smile

Times are difficult for the IRFU - I can see Kiss as Ireland's offensive & defensive coach next season.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:22 am

The IRFU ultimately employ Schmidt. I’m sure if they wanted him and he wanted to coach Ireland then there would be no barrier.

Sin, of course Leinster fans realize we have lost our last 2 games to Munster, we just care more about winning Heineken cups.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next