The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Soiled fights

5 posters

Go down

Soiled fights Empty Soiled fights

Post by oxring Fri 28 Oct 2011, 11:02 am

What fights that you enjoyed at the time leave a sour taste in your mouth today? Fights that you'd talk about as the greatest you'd seen - but for the way they finished or the nature of the fight?

For me, Cotto-Marg 1 was one of the worst. At the time, was one of the best quality fights I'd seen - with Cotto in particular putting on a clinic in the first 5 rounds. But since the Marg handwrap scandal - I am suspicious.

Ali-Holmes perhaps? Benn-Gman?
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Soiled fights Empty Re: Soiled fights

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 28 Oct 2011, 11:11 am

Benn Gman is one that sprang immediately to mind.

Not sure why Ali Holmes would have been seen as great at the time? It was terrible right from the moment the fight was announced, surely.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Fri 28 Oct 2011, 11:20 am

Fists of Fury wrote:Benn Gman is one that sprang immediately to mind.

Not sure why Ali Holmes would have been seen as great at the time? It was terrible right from the moment the fight was announced, surely.

Holmes always comes back to the same point - when pundits saw the shape that Ali was in - they were quite impressed and thought that Ali could do it. Holmes was by no means an overwhelming favourite. Since 1989 - when we knew that he couldn't even do a nose-finger coordination test - we're a bit more sickened by the fight. Although it wasn't that good a fight anyway. But the Ali fight is a big reason why Holmes thinks he's the greatest.

For me, Stallone summed it up best, by describing it as an autopsy on someone still alive.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 28 Oct 2011, 11:42 am

Holmes has always talked utter guff, though. That ghost of ali was incapable of even creating a shadow.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Fri 28 Oct 2011, 11:55 am

I'm slightly veering from the original question, but watching the Morales Cano fight on the Mayweather undercard left a sour taste in my mouth. After a bright start, Cano was getting beaten to a pulp. I should have been stopped, either by his corner or referee, long before it was. Sad to see a young man taking that beating.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Fri 28 Oct 2011, 12:14 pm

Benn Gman is a very good call, cracker of a fight that would've been re-run a million times if not for the tragic ending. Though after the "karma" article on Gman recently, perhaps it is viewed as not such a tragic ending I don't know.....

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Fri 28 Oct 2011, 12:17 pm

Super D Boon wrote:Benn Gman is a very good call, cracker of a fight that would've been re-run a million times if not for the tragic ending. Though after the "karma" article on Gman recently, perhaps it is viewed as not such a tragic ending I don't know.....

Reckon that was onetwo just being provocative. I mean, nobody actually believes he "deserved it", surely.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri 28 Oct 2011, 12:53 pm

Eubank v Watson II.

Only ever seen it once and I do recall it being a cracking fight (although my memory might be playing tricks) but I'll never watch it again.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down