The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Suddenly Basel looks like a slam competiton!

+6
Mad for Chelsea
Marcus
time please
sirfredperry
noleisthebest
wow
10 posters

Go down

Suddenly Basel looks like a slam competiton! Empty Suddenly Basel looks like a slam competiton!

Post by wow Fri 28 Oct 2011 - 12:51

Andy Murray will be joining Djoker and Fed at Basel through a wild card. Djoko was practising with Federer which is bit surprising as they are not best of the friends.

During USO semifinal, Fed was pretty sure of beating DJoko, at one stage there was something going on in the crowd and Novak asked Fed that if he is okay to wait for few minutes and Fed arrogantly completely ignored him. Fed just wated Novak to get on with the game as he was having the momentum.

Murray is on a carrer high at the moment. My bet is on Murray to beat both of them if the draw works out like that.

Who do you think will win?

wow

Back to top Go down

Suddenly Basel looks like a slam competiton! Empty Re: Suddenly Basel looks like a slam competiton!

Post by noleisthebest Fri 28 Oct 2011 - 13:04

I've had the same thoughts as soon as I read the news last ight!
I can't wait for it to start, really, top three in-form hard-courters, that will be a treat, the next question is the draw, ehem, ehem.....I think Tsonga's in it as well, bring it on NOOOWWWW!!!!!!!

Last edited by noleisthebest on Fri 28 Oct 2011 - 13:05; edited 1 time in total

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Suddenly Basel looks like a slam competiton! Empty Re: Suddenly Basel looks like a slam competiton!

Post by sirfredperry Fri 28 Oct 2011 - 13:04

Fed hasn't played Murray for a while as they have not been in the same half of the draw. Could still happen again here but it would be nice to see a match between them again. Winner of that to win it. Not sure if Djoko is 100% and may be saving himself for yr-end champs.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Fri 28 Oct 2011 - 13:07

Yeah agree with that. To me it seems Murray will nail it, he is high on confidence and the way he thrashed Nadal in the last final, I am sure he will not have much dificulty in winning this one as well.
2012 will be the year of Andy Murray.
I have started to sound like eraldeen Whistle

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Fri 28 Oct 2011 - 13:12

Brilliant - so it will definitely be Basel that is broadcast?

I am actually going with TMF for this - I think he will be well rested and he has his home crowd.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri 28 Oct 2011 - 13:12

wow wrote:Yeah agree with that. To me it seems Murray will nail it, he is high on confidence and the way he thrashed Nadal in the last final, I am sure he will not have much dificulty in winning this one as well.
2012 will be the year of Andy Murray.
I have started to sound like eraldeen Whistle

I love your enthusiasm, Wow Very Happy , but I'd love to see a Fed-Murray semi even more....I think Fed would make a bit of an effort there.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus Fri 28 Oct 2011 - 13:15

Glad to see that the mighty JMDP is missing the 5th slam, and will be concentrating his efforts on Paris, in order book himself a place at the WTF.

Three cheers for Potro. :hip hip:

Marcus

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Fri 28 Oct 2011 - 13:22

I too wish that if he manages to make to London. We need a fit JMDP to make this field more competitive.

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 28 Oct 2011 - 15:56

Brilliant! Three of the world's best competing in a 500 tournament, some other great names too (Fish and Berdych are there I think). Looks like a fantastic week of tennis to look forward to Very Happy

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Fri 28 Oct 2011 - 15:59

See JMDP had a good result against Haas today too...

Basel will be interesting, for one thing to see how Nole has recovered from injury.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Fri 28 Oct 2011 - 16:08

Yes, I am holding my breath to see how Nole is holding up physically.

Great to see JMDP had a good win (lovely Tommy Haas!). You mentioned Agassi's wrist injury on another thread lydian and how it reduced his power afterwards - I do wonder whether JMDP will ever a) be able or b) confident with that wrist enough to really murder the ball with that cross court forehand as he did USO 2009? If he can, then he is someone who could really shake everyone up this year.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Fri 28 Oct 2011 - 16:25

Guess everyone now wants to beat the previous GOAT, Federer. Laugh

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Fri 28 Oct 2011 - 16:43

Good question TP. Guess time will tell, Agassi had such amazing talent he could still bring it to bear later in his career with slightly reduced power...and his better mental resolve helped harness whatever power he had for sure.

JMDP is a little different in that regard, you feel he needs the power to succeed otherwise other power players will overhaul him. Any loss would hurt him and so far his results have been ok but not at the level yet where he was pre-injury but they are getting better so there's hope he can return to former glory. Confidence/match fitness may still hold him back, or he takes a little off his shots - he may have even been advised to hit less hard to preserve his wrist?

But I do hope he's still able to play at the same level as pre-09 as he's such a good player when he's on form, and even if we look at this year he arguably gave Nole the biggest scare, before he met Federer, at FO before the rain came...he's the player no-one wants to face and is one guy we forget about when it comes down to how future slams may split. It would make for a much better field with a fully fit, able and confident Juan Martin in it.

Fingers crossed for him!
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Fri 28 Oct 2011 - 16:47

Agassi was a one off - what a showman and player - one of my absolute favourites too!

OMG that FO semi JMDP against TMF - I went out to hide because I couldn't bear it! Thought it was all so near, and yet so far away!

Last edited by time please on Fri 28 Oct 2011 - 16:49; edited 2 times in total

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by Djoker is in Nadal's head Fri 28 Oct 2011 - 16:48

I think Nadal has gone into semi retirement after the drubbing he got from Murray at Tokyo open.

The future look very bleak for no weapons Nadal. After losing to Murray and Mayer, he must be thinking on how to come out of this rut.

Last edited by Djoker is in Nadal's head on Fri 28 Oct 2011 - 16:57; edited 1 time in total

Djoker is in Nadal's head

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Fri 28 Oct 2011 - 16:51

Djoker is in Nadal's head wrote:I think Nadal has gone into semi retirement after the drubbing he got from Murray at Tokyo open.

The future look very bleak for no weapons Nadal. After beating to Murray and Mayer, he must be thinking on how to come out of this rut.

He is never more dangerous than when he looks down and out! I expect to see Rafa coming out guns blazing January 2012!

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Fri 28 Oct 2011 - 17:01

Typical, my hero has to be in form at the end of the year and not during the slams Very Happy Come on Murray, give Novak a good thrashing!! (Is Nadal participating in Valencia then?)
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 29 Oct 2011 - 17:46

Basel draw...

http://www.swissindoorsbasel.ch/Tableau-Single.219.0.html

Murray has tough opener against Hasse.
Djokovic has Malisse.
Federer has Starace.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Sat 29 Oct 2011 - 18:11

young American Ryan Harrison lost out in qualifying rounds to Swiss Stephane Bohli. Another Swiss WC, Marco Chiudinelli beat Isotim, and yet another Swiss WC (can't remember this one's name!) has drawn Bernard Tomic in the qualifiers.

It's rather disappointing that two of the young hopefuls for the next generation are still having to routinely qualify for these events - it would be good to see some rapidly upwardly mobile progression from young guns!

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 29 Oct 2011 - 18:14

time please wrote:and yet another Swiss WC (can't remember this one's name!) has drawn Bernard Tomic.

Michael Lammer.

Tomic is up a set 7-6(3) and serving @2-3.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Sat 29 Oct 2011 - 18:18

Thanks laver! The easiest Swiss name of them all, apart from Roger and I can't remember it!

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Sat 29 Oct 2011 - 18:28

Young Tomic broken, but breaks straight back as Lammer serves for set. Now serving 4-5.

The tension is just toooo much, but sadly have to change for supper out Very Happy If Tomic can't come through this, then I just despair of the younger generation Crying or Very sad

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 29 Oct 2011 - 19:21

Tomic saved on mp at 30-40 4-5, but could not save the 15-40 5-6 MP. Lammer (#335) beats Tomic (#42). Erm

time please wrote:If Tomic can't come through this, then I just despair of the younger generation Sad

Sorry, TP. The younger generation (Tomic and Harrison specifically) are not ready yet. Sad

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Djoker is in Nadal's head Sat 29 Oct 2011 - 20:46

laverfan wrote:Tomic saved on mp at 30-40 4-5, but could not save the 15-40 5-6 MP. Lammer (#335) beats Tomic (#42). Erm

time please wrote:If Tomic can't come through this, then I just despair of the younger generation Sad

Sorry, TP. The younger generation (Tomic and Harrison specifically) are not ready yet. Sad

Surprise surprise. Where is Dimitrov or Raonic playing?

Djoker is in Nadal's head

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 29 Oct 2011 - 21:28

Djoker is in Nadal's head wrote:
Surprise surprise. Where is Dimitrov or Raonic playing?

They both played Stockholm.

Raonic is playing Valencia.

I do not see a schedule for Dimitrov on his website (after Stockholm).

Edit: Looks like Dimitrov plays the Hopman Cup next with Pironkova. - http://hopmancup.com/Teams-Schedule/Team-Lists

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sat 29 Oct 2011 - 21:35

Raonic got to the semis last week (and was a set and break up in that match). He's on his way back and for me is the best of the younger generation...
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down