The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where did the term "caddy" come from?

+7
mystiroakey
gaelgowfer
Diggers
TM2K
Marcus
drive4show
Adam D
11 posters

Go down

Where did the term "caddy" come from? Empty Where did the term "caddy" come from?

Post by Adam D Fri 28 Oct 2011, 3:42 pm

Womens golf!

Whilst looking through some sports history, I stumbled across this:

1552 - Mary, Queen of Scots (1542-87), an avid golfer, coins the term “caddy” by calling her assistants cadets. It is during her reign that the famous golf course at St. Andrews is built.
http://www.northnet.org/stlawrenceaauw/timeline.htm

So not only was the term coined by Royalty, she was an avid player of the game even before the spiritual home of golf was built. Lucky she didnt impose a "ladies only" membership Laugh

Anyway, what other terms do you not know the meaning of and often wondered where they originated?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Where did the term "caddy" come from? Empty Re: Where did the term "caddy" come from?

Post by drive4show Fri 28 Oct 2011, 3:47 pm

Back in ye olde days when balls were extremely expensive, players also had 'forecaddies' who walked ahead and their job was to act as ball spotters to prevent losing balls.
If a ball was heading in their direction, the player would shout fore(caddie) to warn them, hence the origin of the term 'fore'.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Where did the term "caddy" come from? Empty Re: Where did the term "caddy" come from?

Post by Marcus Fri 28 Oct 2011, 3:51 pm

I thought Chevy Chase invented it.

Marcus

Back to top Go down

Post by TM2K Fri 28 Oct 2011, 4:12 pm

Marcus wrote:I thought Chevy Chase invented it.

Do you take drugs Danny?

TM2K

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 28 Oct 2011, 4:41 pm

The term caddy also isnt totally golf specific, you also have a tea caddy.
I know this isnt relevant or interesting but on a thread as dull as this I didnt think that really mattered.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Fri 28 Oct 2011, 7:35 pm

Golf caddie
Tea caddy

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 28 Oct 2011, 7:38 pm

caddie cart

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus Fri 28 Oct 2011, 7:38 pm

Caddy Baddie

(an extra bad person in a film?)

Tumbleweed

Marcus

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 28 Oct 2011, 8:57 pm

drive4show wrote:Back in ye olde days when balls were extremely expensive, players also had 'forecaddies' who walked ahead and their job was to act as ball spotters to prevent losing balls.
If a ball was heading in their direction, the player would shout fore(caddie) to warn them, hence the origin of the term 'fore'.

There also used to be shag caddies or shag boys. I cant remember exactly but i think the bag that they used to carry the balls in was called a shag bag so the person who carried that was the shag caddie.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Fri 28 Oct 2011, 9:08 pm

Millions of folk play golf without knowing the origins of the size of the hole and how it came about.
Same re size of a golf ball.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 28 Oct 2011, 9:09 pm

ok lol this has reminded me of a classic story.

Not sure if any off you have heard of jam boys before.

A felow golfer from my club went to africa to play golf.

He and his mates paid the green fees and paid for there caddies.

The caddie master asked them if they wanted a jam boy.

They replied no we are all right mate- looking confused(they didnt have a scooby)

On the tee they asked some brits .whats a jam boy?

they pointed over to the left

they saw a man striped down to his pants covered in jam.

basically the 'jam boy' follows you around the course and attracts the flies rather than them getting on your nerves.

anyone ever had a jam boy?

true story by the way

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Fri 28 Oct 2011, 10:52 pm

Mysti - I'm a little disturbed by that

Hobo - whilst I've no problem with your new found fondness for the golf board, what is the obsession with women's golf related topics?? I'm being serious, what's going on?
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Fri 28 Oct 2011, 10:57 pm

MustPuttBetter wrote:Mysti - I'm a little disturbed by that

Hobo - whilst I've no problem with your new found fondness for the golf board, what is the obsession with women's golf related topics?? I'm being serious, what's going on?

Careful, he'll accuse you of not liking women. I suggested we call him Kumquat, as this obsession reminded me of Stan, the Eric Idle character in Life of Brian!
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down