The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales team vs Australia

+19
munkian
Taffineastbourne
maestegmafia
Seagultaf
eirebilly
Shifty
bedfordwelsh
Morgannwg
Smirnoffpriest
Pot Noodle Miner
Luckless Pedestrian
Glas a du
boomeranga
Knowsit17
wales606
majesticimperialman
dogtooth
Gatts
TycroesOsprey
23 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Wales team vs Australia Empty Wales team vs Australia

Post by TycroesOsprey Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:51 pm

Obviously its a few weeks away but this match is the only bit of international rugby being played until the six nations so I thought I would have a pop at selecting a team for it. I wonder what the Ozzie side will look like. Personally I think this is a game Wales really need to win. Australia coming here is not ideal for them in the middle of their off season with players who wont have kicked a ball for a few weeks. Waels by contrast will have players back from injury and who have been playing Pro12 and HEC so shouldnt be rusty when the team meet up.

Some changes from the World cup are certain, Mike Phillips, Hook, Byrne, Powell, Mitchell will all be unavailable. Adam jones and Rhys Priestland will both probably be back by then, Jones is more of a worry than the young ten. Shane if he is fit is a show in on the wing and I cant see Gatland experimenting too much for this game. Only a couple of changes from the RWC squad as we have smiler available again and possibly Henson. McCusker who should have gone to RWC instead of Powell should come in and whilst I would choose Hibbard I expect Gatts to stick with HB but on the bench. Rhys Webb is going to be putting pressure on Williams and Tavis but I expect Gatts to go for tavis this time, come six nations Tavis could be usurped.

If Adam Jones is not fit then we do have a problem, we could play Paul James there again but it didnt work in the RWC and its time we started doing some succession planning in the tighthead spot. Cai Griffiths has played well there so far this year for the Ospreys, whilst Rhys thomas and Simin Gardiner are starting there for the scarlets. RT still doesnt inspire me with confidence in the scrum whilst Gardiner is a good scrummager his conditioning has not been great in the past and hes been unlucky with injury. Scott Andrew is my pick of the youngsters but havent seen him play since the Aironi game so not sure if he is fit or not. Buck has been starting a lot for the dragons but he is a player I dont know at all, can any dragons fans enlighten me is he welsh qualified and any good?

1. Gethin Jenkins
2. Matthew Rees
3. Adam Jones
4. Luke Charteris - Bradley now with Luke unlikely to be fit
5. AW Jones
6. Danny Lydiate - Ryan I guess with McCusker injured too
7. Sam Warburton (c)
8. T Faletau
9. Lloyd Williams
10. Rhys Priestland
11. Shane Williams
12. Jamie Roberts
13. J Davies
14 George North
15. Halfpenny

16. R Bevvington
17. Bennett
18. Ryan Jones Ian Evans to come in with Ryan probably stepping up to the XV
19. Rob McCusker - JT may have to come in for a bench spot with all the injuries hopefuly Tipuric or McCusker will be fit.
20. Tavis Knoyle - Rhys Webb is looking good as well
21. Jason Tovey
22. Scott Williams

Last edited by TycroesOsprey on Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : updates after injuries)

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Wales team vs Australia Empty Re: Wales team vs Australia

Post by Gatts Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:12 pm

Wow what a side

Time for Ryan to sit out I think, much as i like his ability to cover 4-56 and 8 i want to see more young blood off the bench.

I agree that if GH is fit and has played 3 plus for Cardiff he shoudl get a bench spot too. I would love to see him as Wales utility cover in the absence of Hook.

I also think huw gets the start and Sam must be skipper

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by dogtooth Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:34 pm

i dont think this game is so important. the synics will say it is just a moneyspinner. i reckon it will have the look of a friendly/exhibition match.

a bad performance would be very disappointing, and i expect to see martyn williams play some part in this match.

if adam isnt fit we should try a proper tighthead. but who?
dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:50 pm

That does look like a very good team indeed. But i would only play Shane Williams,(i know this is his last game for Wales)but if he is not 100%
fit he should not be starting.

The same goes for Gavin Henson as well i know Shane as been playing in the RWC. But this is a must win game for Wales, before they go into the 6ns.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:01 pm

1. Gethin Jenkins
2. Huw Bennett
3. Adam Jones
4. Alun Wyn Jones
5. Luke Charteris
6. Dan Lydiate
7. Sam Warburton (c)
8. Toby Faletau
9. Lloyd Williams
10. Rhys Preistland
11. Shane Williams
12. Jamie Roberts
13. Jonathon Davies
14. George North
15. Leigh Halfpenny

16. Paul James
17. Matthew Rees
18. Bradley Davies
19. Ryan Jones
20. Rhys Webb
21. Stephen Jones
22. Scott Williams
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:13 pm

Hey 606, I can see why youve gone for webb and as an osprey I have no problem with that having been critical of Tavis in the past. However, Stephen Jones was way off form in the RWC. Wellies has been a tremendous asset to us over the years but there are other players now who should be brought in. Shane is still playing well and deserves his place on form and fitness.

Im not sure if Tovey is the answer either for the dragons or Wales but he is the heir apparent to priestland at the moment. Morgan is defensively frail whilst Biggar I think has dropeed ouit of the equation. Personally Steffan Jones looks like he has a better all round game and has more physicality than Tovey.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:16 pm

1. Jenkins
2. Rees
3. A Jones
4. B Davies
5. Charteris
6. Lydiate
7. Warburton (capt)
8. Faletau/R Jones (don't really mind)
9. L Williams
10. Priestland
11. Sh Williams
12. Roberts
13. Sc Williams
14. North
15. Halfpenny

16. Owens
17. James
18. A W Jones
19. Tipuric
20. Webb
21. S Jones
22. J Davies

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by boomeranga Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:44 pm

By the sides named it looks like you made it through without any long term injuries and If they can make it through to the new year, the 6Ns will provide a great opportunity to build on the WC. To my untrained eye it appears you could be on the cusp of good times.

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:55 pm

15-9 Halfpenny, Brew, Williams, Roberts, Williams, Jones, Phillips
1-8 Bevington, Bennett, Mitchell, Charteris, Davies, Lydiate, Warburton (c) Faletau

16-22 James, Burnes, Ryan Jones, Powell, Williams, Hook, James.

Reasoning?

Rest some of the boys that have played their socks off and give Jones and Shane a send off. It's this team that will decide how well we do in the 6N as they are mainly the fringe players.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:28 pm

Phillips is unavailable,Hook is also unavailble, Mitchell is unavailable, Powell is unavailable. I did list all the guys who wont be available to play.

Brew over north Glas really? Smiler being fit should give him at least a bench place. Why Soctt Williams over JD? Bevvington is our third choice loosehead at the moment would rather start off with a more established loosehead and then bring him on.

Im happy to give Shane a send off and pick him as he is on form. I wouldnt pick Stephen Jones he is way off form and confidence. Neither Nuggett or Wellies are first choice at the moment so just giving them caps for a send off isnt really on imo.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:21 pm

Ah, right, I see. Well fair enough then. Brew over North to give North a rest, purely selfish Scarlets reasons thumbsup
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by dogtooth Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:23 am

tycroes. you speak for many when you say shane, nugget, wellies etc should only be selected if on form.

i reckon there will be a lot of sentimentality in this selection. it is not an important game, it is more important to recognise our 'old guard'.

dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:23 am

Tycroes, Nathan Buck is from Abergavenny, he's Welsh.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Noodle Miner Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:09 am

i think Gatts should have a look at 2 or 3 players in this game as possible back-up to our 1st choice players and select some in-form players from the regions that did'nt make the World Cup squad whilest still keeping the majority of the side the same, after all its the only oppurtunity they will be able to have in a Welsh shirt before the 6 Nations

i would go with

1. Jenkins
2. M.Rees
3. P.James
4. B.Davies
5. L.Charteris
6. R.McCusker
7. S.Warburton
8. R.Jones
9. L.Williams
10. R.Priestland
11. S.Williams
12. J.Roberts
13. Sc.Williams
14. L.Halfpenny
15. M.Stoddart (if fit)

16. S.Andrews
17. R.Hibbard
18. A.Shingler
19. J.Tipuric
20. T.Knoyle/R.Webb
21. S.Jones/D.Biggar/J.Tovey
22. G.North

we desperately could do with finding another full-back, we know Halfpenny and Hook can cover the position but if Stoddart steps up to the mark he has potential to make the 15 jersey his own

also we have a chance to have a look at the likes of Tipuric and McCusker in this game who have been impressive for their regions
Pot Noodle Miner
Pot Noodle Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:21 am

Pot Noodle Miner wrote:we desperately could do with finding another full-back, we know Halfpenny and Hook can cover the position

Hook can cover full back? Really?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:32 am

People are forgetting about Stoddart who should be fit by that time (just need to see what form he'll be in), apparently he's 2 weeks away.

It will be interesting to see if they keep him on the bench as utility, don't select him, move Halfpenny to wing and put Stodds as FB, or what.

My opinion is that once Shane retires I'd have Halfpenny on the wing (and people seem to forget what a good winger he is after he WC FB exploits), and Stodds at FB, but it is very fluid, and if Cuthbert comes on at pace he could be in contention for the wing slot and could replace Stodds at the 6N.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:34 am

And Hook has never been a FB, at the mo we've got Halfpenny, Byrne, Stoddart, Tovey, Priestland and maybe (just maybe) Henson IF he can rediscover his form. I suppose we've got Prydie, M Thomas, Phillips, Fussell in the wings but not sure their upto it yet.

I think that's enough FB's so we can forget about Hook playing there and concentrate on him being either a 10 or 12 (depending on where he plays for his club)

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Noodle Miner Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:49 am

Smirnoffpriest wrote:And Hook has never been a FB, at the mo we've got Halfpenny, Byrne, Stoddart, Tovey, Priestland and maybe (just maybe) Henson IF he can rediscover his form.

Halfpennys a good fullback but and even better winger
Byrnes blowing hot and cold
im not convinced by Tovey as a FB just yet
Priestland is best suited to 10
Henson is a 12 or can cover 10

Stoddart is the only one out of those who has played FB regular and should be given the chance for Wales IMO
Pot Noodle Miner
Pot Noodle Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:55 am

and you could add Hook is a 12 or 10 and needs to play regularly in 1 of those positions, so isn't an option for 15

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Noodle Miner Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:02 pm

Hook is much more suited to 10 or 12 and should only play FB if we have serious injury problems IMO

Steve Shingler from the Wales U20s was impressive at full-back last season, i think the regions have missed out by letting him go to london irish he was arguably the best back in the U20 squad
Pot Noodle Miner
Pot Noodle Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:08 pm

1. Gethin Jenkins
2. Huw Bennet
3. Adam Jones
4. Luke Charteris
5. AW Jones
6. Danny Lydiate
7. Sam Warburton (c)
8. T Faletau
9. Lloyd Williams
10. Rhys Priestland
11. Shane Williams
12. Jamie Roberts
13. J Davies
14 George North
15. Halfpenny

16. Paul James
17. Matthew Rees
18. Bradley Davies
19. Martyn Williams
20. Rhys Webb
21. Gavin Henson
22. Scott Williams
23. Alex Cuthbert

I agree with Gatland going with the idea of getting Martyn Williams in the squad for the 'exhibition' idea. Henson will be picked if fit. Webb and Cuthbert to earn their first caps, their form is good. Anyone playing in France won't be released for this fixture. As for the Australia side, I see it being a bit under-strength compared to ours, their injuries during the world cup were a lot more serious than ours.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:46 pm

Why have you 'bolded' so many players Morg?

Also I think it's a bit soon for Cuthbert (although playing really well), I think I'd be more comfortable with him being in the 6N squad and then coming off the bench for a game or starting against Italy.

Otherwise a good team, do we get 23 players for a int friendly though?

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:22 pm

The bolded players indicate my changes to Tycroes' matchday 23, or is it 22 now?

I think it's best to introduce some of these new caps now. We don't want to be introducing a load during a tournament we're trying to win. I remember the time it was said it's a bit too soon for Halfpenny, Prydie and North aswell; Cuthbert's been on sevens duty I believe. I haven't double checked but that could make him more experienced than those 3 when they made their international debuts.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:27 pm

Good point Pot Noodle Miner, I was gutted when he went, but apparently he's on a lot of money, more than one of the regions could reasonably play considering the amount of gametime he'd likely get. The blues should probably have gone for him, because as you say he looked very good for the U20's, and could have easily challenged Fish for FB, and grown into the 10 role throughout the season.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:31 pm

Good point about Cuthbert/North/Prydie Morg. He could well slot straight in and be superb as North was but it's a risk. I suppose an exhibition match from the bench could be the perfect time to blood him though.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:41 pm

1. Gethin Jenkins
2. Huw Bennett
3. Adam Jones
4. Alun Wyn Jones
5. Luke Charteris
6. Dan Lydiate
7. Sam Warburton (c)
8. Toby Faletau
9. Lloyd Williams
10. Rhys Preistland
11. Shane Williams - Brew or Stoddart
12. Jamie Roberts
13. Jonathon Davies
14. George North
15. Leigh Halfpenny

16. Paul James
17. Matthew Rees
18. Bradley Davies
19. Ryan Jones
20. Rhys Webb
21. Jason Tovey
22. Scott Williams

We need to win this one and get the confidence up ahead of the 6 Nations.

Despite being one of Bennetts biggest kncokers I think he deserves to hold on to the shirt after his WC performances.

Although I have gone with Williams I ahve also said I hope its not out of symapthy, if he playing well then fine if not we need to look beyond him so Brew or Stoddart.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:57 pm

15 Leigh Halfpenny
14 George North
13 Jamie Roberts
12 Gavin Henson
11 Rhys Priestland
10 Shane Williams
9 Lloyd Williams
8 Toby Faletau
7 Sam Warburton
6 Dan Lydiate
5 Alun-Wyn Jones
4 Luke Charteris
3 Adam Jones
2 Matt Rees (C)
1 Gethin Jenkins

16 Duncan Jones
17 Huw Bennett
18 Robert Sidoli
19 Martyn Williams
20 Tavis Knoyle
21 Stephen Jones
22 Aled Brew
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:15 pm

Interesting having lil shane at Fly half, but I suppose he is the Welsh wizard, so get him involved closer to the action - not sure Priestland has the pace to play wing though - maybe Geth Jenkins would be a better choice Laugh

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:17 pm

I thought Henson was supposed to be the Blues saviour at 10 so not sure how they'd feel about him slotting straight in at 12 in the Wales team - unless he's the new Hook and can play anywhere, anytime with no prep.

1st time I've seen Sidoli in a Wales side for a long, long time.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:19 pm

At one time Shane was the best wing, scrum half, fly half and full back in the side, so why not?
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:21 pm

I still think Geth Jenkins would be a better choice!

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:09 pm

Alun have you lost the plot recently or what?

Henson hasnt even played for the blues yet, if he does and plays well then a bench spot bit certainly not first choice.

Your going to take the captaincy off of Warburton whilst giving it back to Rees who is assured of even starting after HB's performances in teh RWC

Duncan over RyanB would do nothing for the continued development of the side and seems pointless given Bevvingtons form in the RWC.

Im assuming picking sidoli is a WUM 7th choice lock and did you see the dragons this weekend?

Nuggett waasnt in the RWC squad hasnt played yet after his injury and just cos he is on 99 caps isnt a good enough reason to give him another. caps are not candy.

Wellies way off form and pointless we should be looking forward not back.

Brew who can only play one position over scott williams who can cover 3?

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:12 pm

Why are people picking Henson FFS, Davies and Roberts played some of their best rugby in the WC with Priestland at 10 so why spoil it.

If I am honest and if I was Gatland I wouldn't even consider Henson until nest season, let him have a near full season of playing week in week out under his belt then see where he is.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:18 pm

Its a fair point and i would be surprised to see him at the aus game although think an outside chance if he can produce 2 or 3 perfs for Blues.

If he does find some form between now and Feb and doesn't make anymore bad tv i am sure we will see him on the bench at the 6Ns...it is a controversial issue but the guy still has legs and is a class act when he isn't being a chump

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:14 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:Why are people picking Henson FFS, Davies and Roberts played some of their best rugby in the WC with Priestland at 10 so why spoil it.

If I am honest and if I was Gatland I wouldn't even consider Henson until nest season, let him have a near full season of playing week in week out under his belt then see where he is.

I can't argue with that. If he produces a string of brilliant performances, that would change things, but otherwise no.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:32 am

Lloyd Williams at 9, pending injuries, is a must as far as i am concerened. His distrubtion is miles better than Phillips and he seems to asses the situation before he gets the ball instead of when he gets it.

Phillips is a good, strong 9 but i just thnk that Lloyd Williams is the better ball player.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:38 am

eirebilly wrote:Lloyd Williams at 9, pending injuries, is a must as far as i am concerened. His distrubtion is miles better than Phillips and he seems to asses the situation before he gets the ball instead of when he gets it.

Phillips is a good, strong 9 but i just thnk that Lloyd Williams is the better ball player.

I can't argue with that either!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:41 am

I can. Phillips is a donkey, but is a big game donkey. I think our back row will benefit from him starting at least, if only to keep Pocock honest.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:55 am

I wonder if that's what it says on Mike Phillips's business card. 'Mike Phillips: Big game donkey.'

I'd like to see Lloyd Williams get eighty minutes against the Wallabies. Why should we wait until the sixtieth minute before we put some pace on the game?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:03 am

Glas, Phillips is a big game player but he really isnt quick enough with his distribution and appears to be much slower at assesing the attacking possibilities. To beat the Aussies, i feel that Wales need quick ball as the Aussies defence is so quick that any slow ball will allow the Aussies to gain an advantage in defense.

eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:27 pm

Glas a du wrote:I can. Phillips is a donkey, but is a big game donkey. I think our back row will benefit from him starting at least, if only to keep Pocock honest.

He wont be available, he is playing in France.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:29 pm

Well that's just childish. OK Lloyd Williams with Tavis on the bench.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:35 pm

I think people are being harsh on Phillips - though he does have a kick big enough for a donkey. Alternatively IMO he wasn't anywhere near the best SH of the WC, just the difference between his form pre-WC warm ups and during the WC made him appear to be.

It will be interesting to see a half back partnership of Lloyd and Rhys P against top quality opposition for a whole game (I doubt S Jones will start).

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:14 pm

Phillips, nor Hook and possibly Powell amd Mitchell won't be available due to fact its outside the IRB window so they won't be involved anyway.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:17 pm

Why bother with the match at all then? It devalues the cap.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:23 pm

Glas,

I fully agree as to why bother with the match BUT the robbing bar stewards at the WRU think we can all afford £56 a pop two weeks before Xmas.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:49 pm

Twm Sion Catti lives on.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:26 pm

Bennett may have played quite well in the WC but lets be honest, he is not even the best hooker in Swansea, it will be between Rees and Hibbard!

Also Lloyd Williams, nice busy player who has looked OK in a few cameos, but he looks too lightweight for me, gets turned over too often. Let him nail down a place in the Blues starting 15 first and see how he performs (if picked) in the HC.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:49 pm

sea,

Bennett started quite a lot for the O's last season didn't he? So they won't be afraid to pick him after his performances i the WC
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:30 am

Seagultaf wrote:Bennett may have played quite well in the WC but lets be honest, he is not even the best hooker in Swansea, it will be between Rees and Hibbard!

Is that the Richard Hibbard who keeps getting sin-binned?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next