The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hope for the WTA

3 posters

Go down

Hope for the WTA Empty Hope for the WTA

Post by mthierry Sun 30 Oct 2011, 9:45 pm

One of my first articles on joining this board was to express my frustration at the inexplicable inconsistency of Petra Kvitova since the big win at Wimbledon. It's only fair I credit her for an amazing few weeks culminating in wrapping up the YEC without the loss of a match against the best the tour can currently offer.

I see great talent in Kvitova: probably greater than any woman I've seen since Henin. She's got great weapons and has big margins for technical, mental and even physical improvement. Her movement can certainly improve but the greatest margins for improvement is in the mental facet of the game so she could be less "streaky" in her consistency within and across matches. Her court demeanor also needs a greater input of charisma and a bit of an aura: she appears a little too demure and sweet compared to the likes of Henin, Serena and Sharapova.

I hope the rise of Petra and Azarenka could herald a new WTA era of substance with deserving no 1's of proven champion quality in the biggest events rather than a tour propped up by the glamour and sexploitation of it's star names.

Salutations to the amazing Czech and hoping to see a great 2012 from her.

mthierry

Back to top Go down

Hope for the WTA Empty Re: Hope for the WTA

Post by laverfan Sun 30 Oct 2011, 10:22 pm

If Kvitova can exhibit consistency, it would not only help her, but the WTA as a whole. Wink

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by mthierry Sun 30 Oct 2011, 10:33 pm

Certainly, LF. She goes on these streaks within matches where she's unplayable interspersed with periods where nothing seems to land within the court. She needs a lot of work on that even allowing for the fact such a risky game should yield low percentages.

mthierry

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sun 30 Oct 2011, 11:04 pm

She has untamed power, just needs a bit more discipline and some control, and we would see some very good results and consistency.

A very interesting clip.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R26RvRctz4Q

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 31 Oct 2011, 11:35 am

Good news is that Petra K is only a handful of points behind Caro W. We could actually have a GS winner as number one sometime soon. Good effort by Kvitova in the year-end champs. Echo what's been said. She has good, clean, hard-hitting ground strokes and, it seems, a fine temperament. Twould be good for the game is she made the number one spot.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down