The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jeff - Round 7 - Naughty Boys List

+2
LondonTiger
Metal Tiger
6 posters

Go down

Jeff - Round 7 - Naughty Boys List Empty Jeff - Round 7 - Naughty Boys List

Post by Metal Tiger Mon 31 Oct - 21:04

Was watching the highlights of the Saints & Sarries games at the weekend and was interested to see both of the shoulder charge incidents by Lawes & Farrel. Both marginal late hits on kickers which could have resulted in penalties but compounded by both players leading with the shoulder and no attempt at a wrap-around with the arms.

Now I could be wrong on this because I don't think the coverage made it clear but...

Lawes was penalised, got a yellow card for his efforts and could be looking at a possible citing and a further ban?

Farrel was just penalised but didn't get a yellow card? And I think his shoulder charge was worse than Lawes.

What are your thoughts on these two seperate incidents?
Metal Tiger
Metal Tiger

Back to top Go down

Jeff - Round 7 - Naughty Boys List Empty Re: Jeff - Round 7 - Naughty Boys List

Post by LondonTiger Mon 31 Oct - 21:27

Did not see the Lawes one so cannot compare.

For me Farrell should have received a yellow card, but should not be cited as it did not deserve a red card.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 31 Oct - 21:54

Not having seen the incidents, did the ref (mistakenly?) take the relative sizes of the two players into account?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 31 Oct - 22:13

It felt like ref had his hand in pocket to card Farrell, then spoke to his assistant, then Borthwick got a bit gobby and in the end just a penalty was given.

To me the challenge was late (ref agreed as kick given where the ball landed), high and no arms used (which ref stated to Borthwick). All told I felt that had to deserve a yellow card.

As stated I do not believe that Farrell should be cited - but then for a similar challenge (last year, maybe year before) Alessana Tuilagi was cited and banned for a few games. Perhaps I am being generous to Farrell as he is a bit of a tadpole.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Metal Tiger Mon 31 Oct - 22:37

I think it's possible that the size of Lawes / Farrell may have been taken into consideration of the decision but don't understand why they should have?

On the subject of the Naughty Boy list, I suppose you can add in Armitage being sent off again for dangerous play (high tackle).
Metal Tiger
Metal Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 31 Oct - 23:12

That's the second time this season Farrell has got away with a shoulder charge. He managed to escape unpunished vs the Tigers as Sarries conceded a try in the move in which he took out Salvi with a late shoulder. He needs to be careful as he will end up with a reputation if he carries on. In the first half Sarries were struggling to deal with Gloucester's pace a yellow could have proved to be a turning point and it was a completely point less cheap shot. He gained nothing from the challenge as it was a routine clearence to touch.

A citing would be harsh but the citing officials have long since ditched the 'only cite if it's a red card' rules and now tend to pick up things like this. He may get a week or two off but I would doubt it.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 31 Oct - 23:15

It really did seem like the ref wimped out once Borthwick started mouthing off to him. He had his hand in his pocket then just awarded a penalty.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Mon 31 Oct - 23:39

Didn't see the Lawes incident.

I did think Farrell was lucky not to get a yellow. It wasn't that late and if he'd tackled properly it might not even have been a penalty. I also thought the ref had his hand in his pocket and wimped out.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down