The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Top 10 South African bowlers since re-admission

+4
Gregers
ShankyCricket
Stella
Biltong
8 posters

Go down

Top 10 South African bowlers since re-admission Empty Top 10 South African bowlers since re-admission

Post by Biltong Wed 02 Nov 2011, 9:11 am

I thought it would be interesting to look at South African cricket since re-admission and look at the top ten bowlers since then.

Alan Donald
Matches 72, Wickets 330, Average 22.25, Economy rate 2.83, S/R 47, 5 wickets 20, 10 wickets 3

Shaun Pollock
Matches 108, Wickets 421, Average 23.11, Economy 2.39, S/R 57.8, 5 wickets 16, 10 wickets 1

Dale Steyn
Matches 46, Wickets 238, Average 23.21, Economy 3.48, Strike rate 39.9, 5 wickets 16, 10 wickets 4

Fanie de Villiers
Matches 18, Wickets 85, Average 24.27, Economy 2.57, S/R 56.5, 5 wickets 5, 10 wickets 2

Mkhaya Ntini
Matches 101, Wickets 390, Average 28.82, Economy 3.23, S/R 53.4, 5 wickets 18, 10 wickets 4

Craig Matthews
Matches 18, Wickets 52, Average 28.88, Economy 2.26, S/R 76.5, 5 wickets 2

Nantie Hayward
Matches 16, Wickets 54, Average 29.79, Economy 3.42, S/R 52.2, 5 wickets 1

Morne Morkel
Matches 31, Wickets 113, Average 30.22, Economy 3.35, S/R 54, 5 wickets 4

Andre Nel
Matches 36 Wickets 123, Average 31.86, Economy 3.08, S/R 62, 5 wickets 3, 10 wickets 1

Jacques Kallis
Matches 144, Wickets 269, Average 31.98, Economy 2.82, Strike rate 67.9, 5 wickets 5

Alan Donald remains the quintessential fast bowler, he had grace, speed and the uncanny ability to work a batsman out, I will never forget the session he bowled to Atherton in England, was it 1998?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a10FtSaAsQQ

Morne Morkel’s average belies his abilities, he has improved consistently over the last few seasons and should become a much better bowler.

Dale steyn could end on top of every statistic by the end of his career.

As always the value of Kallis can never be forgotten.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Top 10 South African bowlers since re-admission Empty Re: Top 10 South African bowlers since re-admission

Post by Stella Wed 02 Nov 2011, 9:28 am

Cheers Biltong.

You have just given us the answer from one of Cricketfan's quiz questions Hug

It was 1998, btw.

Steyn's record is incredible considering the era that he has played in.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Top 10 South African bowlers since re-admission Empty Re: Top 10 South African bowlers since re-admission

Post by Guest Wed 02 Nov 2011, 9:28 am

gee thanks mate Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 02 Nov 2011, 9:30 am

can we plz not reveal answers to my quiz plz lol Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 02 Nov 2011, 9:41 am

Brett Schultz took 37 wickets at 20.24 in nine tests.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 02 Nov 2011, 9:50 am

Yeah, I was looking for his name on the list I found, but it only had bowlers on who bowled more than 2000 balls.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 02 Nov 2011, 9:51 am

biltongbek wrote:Yeah, I was looking for his name on the list I found, but it only had bowlers on who bowled more than 2000 balls.

I guessed there may have been a cut off.

What might have been?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 02 Nov 2011, 9:53 am

If Brett Shultz could have had a longer career we would have been very formidable indeed, remember he was left handed as well as very fast.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Wed 02 Nov 2011, 10:21 am

Steyn hasnt played even half the matches compared to Pollock and yet he has the same no. of 5 wicket hauls and more 10 wicket hauls.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 02 Nov 2011, 10:25 am

shankythebiggestengfan wrote:Steyn hasnt played even half the matches compared to Pollock and yet he has the same no. of 5 wicket hauls and more 10 wicket hauls.

Pollock had other good/great bowlers who would also take wickets. Steyn has Morkel and that's about it, hence the amount of fifers.

The great Joel Garner didn't take many fifers for the same reason.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Wed 02 Nov 2011, 10:26 am

Stella wrote:
shankythebiggestengfan wrote:Steyn hasnt played even half the matches compared to Pollock and yet he has the same no. of 5 wicket hauls and more 10 wicket hauls.

Pollock had other good/great bowlers who would also take wickets. Steyn has Morkel and that's about it, hence the amount of fifers.

Not at all criticising Pollock.I am just in awe of Steyn's ability.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 02 Nov 2011, 10:31 am

Stella wrote:

Ah, but stella look at steyn's strike rate, also a reason why he would get more 5 and 10 wicket hauls. he also had Ntini who were in his prime when Steyn started.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 02 Nov 2011, 10:34 am

biltongbek wrote:
Stella wrote:

Ah, but stella look at steyn's strike rate, also a reason why he would get more 5 and 10 wicket hauls. he also had Ntini who were in his prime when Steyn started.

I'm not dissing Steyn just giving reasons as to why he may have a lot of fifers and I think my point is a good one.#
Pollock had Donald, Ntini, Nel, Kallis (when he was a good fourth seamer).
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 02 Nov 2011, 10:35 am

suprised Morne Morkel is up there, didnt realise how well he has done for south africa

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Wed 02 Nov 2011, 10:38 am

Nel? Laugh

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 02 Nov 2011, 10:39 am

shanks he's got a decent test record though hasnt he

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 02 Nov 2011, 10:41 am

shankythebiggestengfan wrote:Nel? Laugh

He was pretty decent though shanks.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 02 Nov 2011, 10:42 am

Stella wrote:
biltongbek wrote:
Stella wrote:

I'm not dissing Steyn just giving reasons as to why he may have a lot of fifers and I think my point is a good one.#

True, but Pollock in my opinion was never really a strike bowler for very long in his career, he never had the speed of donald or even Kallis, he was similar to Craig Matthews in discipline to bowl line and length, just much better at it than Matthews.

The last number of years Pollock bowled he rarely went faster than 128 km/h.

He literally bored batsmen to death. That is why I think he didn't get as many 5 and 10 wicket hauls.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 02 Nov 2011, 10:44 am

biltongbek wrote:
Stella wrote:
biltongbek wrote:
Stella wrote:

True, but Pollock in my opinion was never really a strike bowler for very long in his career, he never had the speed of donald or even Kallis, he was similar to Craig Matthews in discipline to bowl line and length, just much better at it than Matthews.

He literally bored batsmen to death. That is why I think he didn't get as many 5 and 10 wicket hauls.

Good point but when you have four good to great bowlers in one team then wickets will be shared, hence my Garner argument.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 02 Nov 2011, 10:45 am

Stella wrote:
shankythebiggestengfan wrote:Nel? Laugh

He was pretty decent though shanks.

I never liked Andre Nel, he had an ugly unwieldy action, galloped to the wicket like he was constipated and had a real toddler tantrum attitude.

He thought he was intimidating bastmen, but should have rather tried to emulate Donald who intimidated you with the ball, and the STARE.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Wed 02 Nov 2011, 10:45 am

cricketfan90 wrote:shanks he's got a decent test record though hasnt he
Did I deny that? Headscratch

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 02 Nov 2011, 10:45 am

Stella wrote:
biltongbek wrote:
Stella wrote:
biltongbek wrote:
Stella wrote:

Good point but when you have four good to great bowlers in one team then wickets will be shared, hence my Garner argument.

Absolutely, no doubt.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 02 Nov 2011, 10:49 am

shankythebiggestengfan wrote:
i didnt say u did deny it, but i thought you were heading that direction with the headscratch? why did u do the headscratch next to andre nel mate?

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Wed 02 Nov 2011, 10:55 am

cricketfan90 wrote:
i didnt say u did deny it, but i thought you were heading that direction with the headscratch? why did u do the headscratch next to andre nel mate?
Because he is nowhere near as good as Pollock,Ntini and co and shouldnt be mentioned in the same bracket.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 02 Nov 2011, 10:56 am

its the top 10 bowlers who have done the best since they re-entered if he's in the top 10, then he has to be inclued in the list.

but i agree he is nowhere near as good as them

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 02 Nov 2011, 10:58 am

cricketfan90 wrote:
Because he is nowhere near as good as Pollock,Ntini and co and shouldnt be mentioned in the same bracket.

Unfortunately he does fall in the top ten, and hence even though i agree with you regarding whether he is worthy to be mentioned in the same conversation as Pollock, Steyn, Ntini and Donald, he is there.

The only reason he ever played for Sa anyway was that we had a shortage of decent fast bowlers at the time. It was just after Pollock, retired and we tried a few guys then.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Wed 02 Nov 2011, 10:59 am

cricketfan90 wrote:its the top 10 bowlers who have done the best since they re-entered if he's in the top 10, then he has to be inclued in the list.

I wasnt talking about the list.i was talking about Stellas sentence when he said

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 02 Nov 2011, 11:01 am

cricketfan90 wrote:its the top 10 bowlers who have done the best since they re-entered if he's in the top 10, then he has to be inclued in the list.

I wasnt talking about the list.i was talking about Stellas sentence when he said

Kallis was a good fourth seamer.

Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Wed 02 Nov 2011, 11:02 am

I was talking about Nel,not Kallis mate.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 02 Nov 2011, 11:04 am

shankythebiggestengfan wrote:I was talking about Nel,not Kallis mate.

Well I was talking abut Kallis. Nel was normally first change.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 02 Nov 2011, 11:08 am

Stella which team do you support, you seem to know and talk quite a bit about South african players?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 02 Nov 2011, 11:10 am

biltongbek wrote:Stella which team do you support, you seem to know and talk quite a bit about South african players?

England but I like to watch most teams. South Africa are or were on sky quite a bit, so I've seen them play a few times.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Wed 02 Nov 2011, 11:12 am

biltongbek wrote:Stella which team do you support, you seem to know and talk quite a bit about South african players?
i am not Stella but let me tell you about myself.I am an England supporter but I try watch all the matches as much as I can.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 02 Nov 2011, 11:23 am

Shanky, me too, I enjoy cricket as much as I enjoy rugby, unfortunately never played as a boy, learnt about cricket when I joined a social league many years ago.

My son is now 8 and he plays cricket and loves it. One thing cricket has over rugby is the statistical analysis possible for individual players, and being a bit of a stats freak it suits me.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Wed 02 Nov 2011, 11:39 am

Surely as far as South African bowlers were concerned Ntini was the most important since re-admission.

Has he got the best average? No
Has he got the most wickets? No

But solely for what he managed to achieve in his career which given the colour of his skin would have been impossible in SA during apartheid must never be forgotten. A true legend of the game.

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 02 Nov 2011, 11:41 am

Ntini only had one shortcoming as a fast bowler. He didn't have the ability to change pace.

But he was our most devastating bowler to left handers.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Wed 02 Nov 2011, 11:57 am

I met him a few years ago, he was a properly nice guy as well

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 02 Nov 2011, 12:00 pm

I always enjoyed watching him bat as well, he did quite enjoy hitting a boundary or two, just a shame it never lasted too long.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 02 Nov 2011, 12:01 pm

But he was our most devastating bowler to left handers.

-----------------------------

He did cause Trescothick a few problems in 2003 at Edgbaston. He played and missed on several occasions.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Wed 02 Nov 2011, 12:02 pm

Ntini was superb.In his prime,he was better than Pollock.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by jro786 Wed 02 Nov 2011, 12:31 pm

donald was exceptional in his prime

he deserves to get a mention
jro786
jro786

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Wed 02 Nov 2011, 12:32 pm

jro786 wrote:donald was exceptional in his prime

he deserves to get a mention
More than a mention I guess thumbsup

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 02 Nov 2011, 12:39 pm

Donald to this day is my favourite SA bolwer, he just knew when it was important to take a wicket. something even dale steyn doesn't manage all that well.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Wed 02 Nov 2011, 12:40 pm

Donald the best SA pacer ever IMO

followed by Steyn and then Pollock and then Makhaya.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Wed 02 Nov 2011, 1:37 pm

My personal favorit among all of them, undoubtedly, is Makhaya Ntini.
Alan Donald.
Dale Steyn.
Makhaya Ntini.
Shaun Pollock.
Fanie de Villiers.
Morne Morkel.
Jacques Kallis.
Andre Nel.
Paul Adams.
Paul Harris.

The last 2 entries may not have the best of averages. However, as part of the bowling unit, they did their job better than Hayward or Matthews ever did. Adams in fact is the only attacking spinner of some quality that South Africa produced, with some international success. Imran Tahir is yet to make his mark.

Lance Klusener, Nicky Boje, Brian McMillen, all deserve a mention.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Wed 02 Nov 2011, 1:38 pm

Donald would almost make my all-time top 10 (and may even sneak in depending on the day...). Loved watching him bowl, absolute beaut of an action.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Jetty Wed 02 Nov 2011, 2:21 pm

biltongbek wrote:Yeah, I was looking for his name on the list I found, but it only had bowlers on who bowled more than 2000 balls.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?class=1;orderby=bowling_average;spanmin1=18+Apr+1992;spanval1=span;team=3;template=results;type=bowling

Jetty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 02 Nov 2011, 2:26 pm

i would have thought that Boje would have been up there to be honest.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down