The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Kimi Raikkonen to Williams thread

+5
Critical_mass
AberdeenSteve
Bull
Demon Racer
Bentyf1
9 posters

Go down

The Kimi Raikkonen to Williams thread  Empty The Kimi Raikkonen to Williams thread

Post by Bentyf1 Thu 27 Oct 2011, 9:18 pm

Rumors in the paddock at the Indian Grand Prix are suggesting that the Iceman Kimi Raikkonen has indeed signed a contract to race for Williams - Renault for the 2012 season.
The source directly from Planet Formula one suggests that the talks are done and dusted and a agreement has been reached by both parties.
http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/7268653/-Raikkonen-has-signed-Williams-deal-
Nothing as yet is offical, but surely a announcement is imminent on the matter.
May not be the most credible source for information but interestingly we have had no word from Williams or Raikkonen shooting down these reports in great haste unlike the Renault deal which was extinguished pretty quick in 2010.

Thoughts?

Bentyf1

Back to top Go down

The Kimi Raikkonen to Williams thread  Empty Re: The Kimi Raikkonen to Williams thread

Post by Demon Racer Thu 27 Oct 2011, 9:27 pm

Would be brilliant. Kimi is one of my favourite drivers and 6 World Champions would be even better!

Demon Racer

Back to top Go down

The Kimi Raikkonen to Williams thread  Empty Re: The Kimi Raikkonen to Williams thread

Post by Bentyf1 Thu 27 Oct 2011, 9:30 pm

Yeah I agree Demon. Could be insane with 6 world champions on the grid, all from the year 2000 wow..2012 is going to be a rollercoaster ride! Yahoo

Bentyf1

Back to top Go down

Post by Demon Racer Thu 27 Oct 2011, 9:37 pm

Kentyf1 wrote:Yeah I agree Demon. Could be insane with 6 world champions on the grid, all from the year 2000 wow..2012 is going to be a rollercoaster ride! Yahoo
Although I would've preferred Kimi to go a team capable of winning the title, having him back is exciting, as no one is as fast as the Flying Finn!

Demon Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by Bentyf1 Thu 27 Oct 2011, 9:39 pm

Return of Renault engines, Mike Coughlan, Qatar National Bank as a sponsor (providing if the Raikkonen return happens) and a plethora of new technical personnel, Williams could be a shock next year!

Bentyf1

Back to top Go down

Post by Demon Racer Thu 27 Oct 2011, 9:50 pm

Kentyf1 wrote:Return of Renault engines, Mike Coughlan, Qatar National Bank as a sponsor (providing if the Raikkonen return happens) and a plethora of new technical personnel, Williams could be a shock next year!
Would be amazing to see Kimi win another title, all ways felt his talent deserved multiple titles!

Demon Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Thu 27 Oct 2011, 10:13 pm

really hoping this happens but will rubens get a race seat?

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Thu 27 Oct 2011, 10:38 pm

Massive boost to a faltering F1 if Kimi makes a return. One of the few aggressive drivers that are still able to drive. I hope these rumours come to fruition!

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Fri 28 Oct 2011, 8:21 am

Indeed AberdeenSteve. Him and Lewis battling it out was always good to see. Spa 2008 was brilliant - although tricky conditions.

Until i hear something more official though, im going to put it down to being a rumour. Though would be see him back, never supported him, but never disliked him.

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 28 Oct 2011, 11:42 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MlsMVzrp2o - haha!- i hope the ice cream eating legend is back, former world champion, pure racing driver, aggressive, fast, risk-taking and provides excitement unlike 90% of the current drivers who are basically pus**es just picking up there pay checks and complain when someone slightly touches them. Would of prefered him replacing Webber at Red Bull to actually make the drivers title interesting but anyway.

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Fri 28 Oct 2011, 1:39 pm

Well, I certainly wish Williams the best of luck next season and hope their personnel changes and increased funding pay off big time, after spending so long in the doldrums.

I couldn't see Raikkonen coming back to F1 unless he thought he was going to a team at least capable of challenging for race victories.

However, as we all know, new team members and new cars can take time to reach their full potential. Kimi may have to be patient and spend 2-3 seasons helping Williams work their way up the grid, as Mercedes and Force India seem to be doing.

My questions would be, has he got the patience, maturity and leadership skills to do that?

What I mainly remember about Kimi (apart from his ice-cream habit and occasionally excellent performances) were his miserable attitude and tendency to loiter in the middle of the pack, if the car wasn't to his liking. Don't remember him being any great shakes in the car development department, or much of a team player.

All of which he'll need to be if he's to help Williams get back among the front runners.

If the rumours are indeed correct and he has put pen to paper on a contract, I'm also guessing he's not going to be on £30million a season like he was with Ferrari.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandro Ciambella Fri 28 Oct 2011, 1:50 pm

Bonjourno!

If Kimi is coming back to F1 then I shall suggest that he needs to loose some weight. It looks like he has been munching on copious amounts of his fave brand of Ice Cream!

Kimi has nothing left to prove in F1 and why he is returning is beyond me. The last successful come back was a certain Prost when he came back to Williams. We all know what happened there.

Not even Schumacher can make a successful comeback. According to some who post here, he is the GOAT!

Kimi is no Prost it must be said. He will regret coming back. F1 has moved on and so has Kimi. Him coming back will be like watching a plane land with no wheels. Spectacular Fail.

Forza Alonso!
Alessandro Ciambella
Alessandro Ciambella

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Fri 28 Oct 2011, 2:07 pm

Sorry but how on earth to a skint team like Williams afford his wages? He was on wages comparable to Schumacher in his prime at Ferrari. Knocking on 50 million a year, more than double anyone else. I would like him to come back but i can't seen Williams being the team to do it with.

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 28 Oct 2011, 2:44 pm

There's only so much money you can have and the freedom/choices it brings you in life but ultimately Kimi has decided that he's simply bored and his career has stagnated into nothingness. Hopping from Formula 1 to rallying then onto Nascar has led to be a disappointing and downward spiral in Kimi's racing life. Who knows what Kimi will be paid upon his return, however I fully expect him to be rewarded by the Qatar backers who are at Williams and the money they bring to the sport and development of the car. I don't understand why there are so many 'haters' of Kimi and the constant negative comments made upon hearing of this comeback. Kimi Raikkonen is a world class driver who is considerably more entertaining and more exciting than 90% of the current drivers within F1. I don't understand why you would 'turn your nose up' at watching a former world champion returning to the sport OR are you more interested in watching a processional drivers championship and average middle of the pack drivers who make school boy erros on a regular basis?

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Fri 28 Oct 2011, 3:48 pm

John wrote:There's only so much money you can have and the freedom/choices it brings you in life but ultimately Kimi has decided that he's simply bored and his career has stagnated into nothingness. Hopping from Formula 1 to rallying then onto Nascar has led to be a disappointing and downward spiral in Kimi's racing life. Who knows what Kimi will be paid upon his return, however I fully expect him to be rewarded by the Qatar backers who are at Williams and the money they bring to the sport and development of the car. I don't understand why there are so many 'haters' of Kimi and the constant negative comments made upon hearing of this comeback. Kimi Raikkonen is a world class driver who is considerably more entertaining and more exciting than 90% of the current drivers within F1. I don't understand why you would 'turn your nose up' at watching a former world champion returning to the sport OR are you more interested in watching a processional drivers championship and average middle of the pack drivers who make school boy erros on a regular basis?

People aren't being negative john (or being "haters" or turning our noses up) - just pointing out flaws which characterised his first stint in F1 and that fact that it is very difficult to get back into F1 after you have been away for a few years.

Would you honestly expect Kimi to just step into a car and drive like he'd never been away? Especially a Williams. You seem to forget he spent much of his last season with Ferrari dawdling around in the midfield. Hardly entertaining.

Also, there is more to liking a driver than just admiring their racing skills. For me there is anyway. I never liked his utterly miserable personality whenever he was interviewed. He managed to make Mika Hakkinen look lively and charismatic!
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 28 Oct 2011, 4:28 pm

dyrewolfe wrote:just pointing out flaws which characterised his first stint in F1 and that fact that it is very difficult to get back into F1 after you have been away for a few years.

Never knew becoming a Formula 1 World Champion was a 'flaw' as you so nicely put it. Doh

I don't exactly think a driver, as talented as Kimi, is going to 'struggle' to find his feet in this generation of F1. The guy is a world class driver, a former world champion, who I believe will have new found hunger and determination to prove all the media and critics such as yourself wrong. You never know how a team is going to perform in the next season, especially when they have undergone dramatic changes to their workforce & the new found financial backing they will receive in developing the 2012 car. Kimi will prepare himself physically and mentally for the challenge of F1 today and you have to remember the guy is not forty years old unlike Michael.

dyrewolfe wrote: Also, there is more to liking a driver than just admiring their racing skills. For me there is anyway.

What do mean other than their racing and driver ability? Oh dear.....

Back to top Go down

The Kimi Raikkonen to Williams thread  Empty Rapidly becoming the worst kept secret in Formula One

Post by Bentyf1 Sun 06 Nov 2011, 8:26 pm

Nearly 2 months ago now, Kimi Raikkonen visited Grove for what appeared to be just a visit to the Williams factory as just a "personal visit" with nothing to it. 2 months later it can be confirmed that negotiations are taking place and a deal could be on the horizon to bring back one of the most famous, iconic, quickest, enigmatic Formula one world champions in the history of the sport, Kimi Raikkonen. 2 years ago we last saw Kimi in a slow Ferrari DE - motivated, fed up and disillusioned with the sport, trundling around in 12Th place or so fighting with Midfield cars at Abu Dhabi. Raikkonen was in talks with Mclaren and contact had been made with Mercedes, but yet we all knew that his heart was set on rallying and so it was confirmed a matter of weeks after the race. 2 years down the line we have seen Kimi try to breathe life back into the world of rallying, alright results but not particularly setting the world on fire. Kimi also attempted NASCAR Truck Series for a brief stint, but again no real success.
Can we question his motivation? maybe. Can we question his speed? Definitely not. Can he take Williams - Renault to another level? you bet your bottom dollar he can.

However, we can all speculate but until he signs on the bottom line, we will not know.

How would you feel if the 2007 Formula one world champion, Kimi Raikkonen returned to the sport after a 2 season hiatus?

Bentyf1

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 06 Nov 2011, 11:22 pm

Nah John, we don't want to be putting Kimi in a RB next season or the title will be over very quickly. I wasn't a fan of Kimi, he wasn't to my taste (from what I can remember) but like Alonso, even though I don't like him, I can't deny he is a superb RACER unlike Seb.

Does this mean Barrychello has been punted then? (Yes I know the spelling is wrong but I'm a maverick!!)
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 06 Nov 2011, 11:23 pm

Kentyf1 wrote:plethora

Without a doubt one of my favourite words, so thank you for using it Smile
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sun 06 Nov 2011, 11:57 pm

John wrote:
dyrewolfe wrote:just pointing out flaws which characterised his first stint in F1 and that fact that it is very difficult to get back into F1 after you have been away for a few years.

Never knew becoming a Formula 1 World Champion was a 'flaw' as you so nicely put it. Doh

I don't exactly think a driver, as talented as Kimi, is going to 'struggle' to find his feet in this generation of F1. The guy is a world class driver, a former world champion, who I believe will have new found hunger and determination to prove all the media and critics such as yourself wrong. You never know how a team is going to perform in the next season, especially when they have undergone dramatic changes to their workforce & the new found financial backing they will receive in developing the 2012 car. Kimi will prepare himself physically and mentally for the challenge of F1 today and you have to remember the guy is not forty years old unlike Michael.

dyrewolfe wrote: Also, there is more to liking a driver than just admiring their racing skills. For me there is anyway.

What do mean other than their racing and driver ability? Oh dear.....

Oh dear what?

If you're going to comment on other peoples' posts, at least have the decency to make some sense... Doh
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 07 Nov 2011, 11:38 am

oh dear dyrewolf......oh dear! kiss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down