The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Fight Erik Morales, Not Manny Pacquiao, Says Bob Arum

+14
BoxingFan88
TopHat24/7
AlexHuckerby
School Project
Valero's Conscience
BALTIMORA
Scottrf
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
KingMonkey
coxy0001
88Chris05
Rowley
The Galveston Giant
Daz
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Fight Erik Morales, Not Manny Pacquiao, Says Bob Arum Empty Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Fight Erik Morales, Not Manny Pacquiao, Says Bob Arum

Post by Daz Mon 07 Nov 2011, 9:54 am

Morning Folks

Came across this article this morning:

I remember saying back in September, half-joking but unfortunately half-serious, that I was terrified that Erik Morales, who had just claimed the bogus WBC title at 140 pounds, would attempt to step up to welterweight and face WBC welterweight titlist Floyd Mayweather Jr, who also picked up his green belt that night in Las Vegas.

Bob Arum may be joking, but he might not be when he says that Mayweather will target Morales, not Manny Pacquiao, for his May 5, 2012 return to the ring. From the Manila Bulletin:

"You know the little fellow that they already approached? Erik Morales," declared Arum.

... "Erik will confirm it, absolutely. Erik has been approached to make the fight. He’ll take it for the money. I’m sure he’ll take it for the money. Why wouldn’t he? But I don’t know who’s gonna buy it. But that’s (what) the whole non-sense is all about."

There is a sickening sensation I'm feeling here. Chris LaBate of BoxingScene.com says that Eric Gomez, Golden Boy's matchmaker, has told the Mexican press there's interest in the fight.

Of course, this could just be the latest in a series of "Are you Poopie' me?" rumored Mayweather opponents. Two names spring to mind: Matthew Hatton and Paul Spadafora. Both of these guys were, at one point, rumored to face Mayweather in recent times. Neither happened. Neither was ever a serious possibility.

I don't even doubt that Golden Boy, in some kind of bizarre fit of psychotic logic, may have approached Morales to gauge his interest. The fight will be on Cinco de Mayo, and if the opponent isn't You-Know-Who (and it's not gonna be), then a Mexican star would make sense. Golden Boy has few on their roster, fewer still around Mayweather's weight. There's Victor Ortiz, Erik Morales, and Humberto Soto. Soto is new at Golden Boy, and not near name enough for even a mild consideration. Ortiz seems to be written off as an option.

That leaves Morales.

Source: http://www.badlefthook.com/2011/11/7/2543663/floyd-mayweather-jr-next-fight-erik-morales-rumor-manny-pacquiao-news-bob-arum-may-5-2012

Awful choice if that happens. I was secretly hoping the Pacman fight might be made. Still early days I know but I didnt expect this match up. Morales doesnt stand a chance in my opinion. Will get picked off over 12 rounds.

Gutted!

Daz

Back to top Go down

Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Fight Erik Morales, Not Manny Pacquiao, Says Bob Arum Empty Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Fight Erik Morales, Not Manny Pacquiao, Says Bob Arum

Post by The Galveston Giant Mon 07 Nov 2011, 9:57 am

Hope it's not true, can't be bothered to wait till May for any fight, never mind against Morales. Can't see it happening though. If Pacquiao fails to impress for the second fight in a row then Floyd-Manny could happen.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Fight Erik Morales, Not Manny Pacquiao, Says Bob Arum Empty Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Fight Erik Morales, Not Manny Pacquiao, Says Bob Arum

Post by Rowley Mon 07 Nov 2011, 9:58 am

Will always take anything Arum says with a massive pinch of salt as basically he lies quite a lot but like you have said if this is even vaguely true impossible to spin it as anything other than a huge disappointment, that said would be gobsmacked if this one comes off.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Mon 07 Nov 2011, 9:59 am

The Galveston Giant wrote:Hope it's not true, can't be bothered to wait till May for any fight, never mind against Morales. Can't see it happening though. If Pacquiao fails to impress for the second fight in a row then Floyd-Manny could happen.

I agree. I for one am not really interested in Pacman/Marquez III. Just hasnt got me interested. There is hardly any talk of it anywhere - on sports news sites, forums or any discussions with mates. Hopefully it's a stinker and the mega fight gets made!

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Mon 07 Nov 2011, 10:01 am

rowley wrote:Will always take anything Arum says with a massive pinch of salt as basically he lies quite a lot but like you have said if this is even vaguely true impossible to spin it as anything other than a huge disappointment, that said would be gobsmacked if this one comes off.

Me too - I was shocked when I came across it. Didn't even consider Morales once for Mayweather.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 07 Nov 2011, 10:05 am

Doesn't even bear thinking about what a huge disappointment this would be if it happened - thankfully, I don't think it will. If you thought Mayweather was getting bad press before it would be nothing compared to the backlash he'd create by taking on the shop worn Morales, particularly in the light of his 'Pacquiao is feasting on my leftovers!' rants.

If anything, it's a relief to hear Arum saying it, as that makes it all the more likely that it's a load of bull. I doubt it will happen and will actually be keeping my fingers well and truly crossed that it doesn't.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 07 Nov 2011, 10:07 am

Agreed Daz really think Morales is finished and I say that as a massive fan, think his recent results have flattered him, Maidana is limited only really possesses a punch and the last guy whose name escapes me was very green, god forbid this fight happens but if it does Mayweather beats him at an absolute canter in a fight I would absolutely not pay to see

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Mon 07 Nov 2011, 10:09 am

88Chris05 wrote:Doesn't even bear thinking about what a huge disappointment this would be if it happened - thankfully, I don't think it will. If you thought Mayweather was getting bad press before it would be nothing compared to the backlash he'd create by taking on the shop worn Morales, particularly in the light of his 'Pacquiao is feasting on my leftovers!' rants.

If anything, it's a relief to hear Arum saying it, as that makes it all the more likely that it's a load of bull. I doubt it will happen and will actually be keeping my fingers well and truly crossed that it doesn't.

Good point about the leftovers rant. Surely this fight won't be made. Obviously Morales would jump at the chance but who can blame him. The only people in the boxing world that would want this fight to be made is the Morales team.

Although if this fight doesnt get made - not sure who there is for Mayweather besides the obvious.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 07 Nov 2011, 10:10 am

Dazstarr wrote:

Although if this fight doesnt get made - not sure who there is for Mayweather besides the obvious.

Stick a pin in the welterweight or light welter rankings and you have a good chance of coming up with a better match, would rather see Kell Brook get the chance than Erik.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Mon 07 Nov 2011, 10:13 am

Me too Jeff - although completely undeserved - it would be a better fight with Kell. But far too early for him.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Mon 07 Nov 2011, 10:22 am

Never write off a great fighter

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Mon 07 Nov 2011, 10:23 am

I said it before and I'll say it again..... MAY. Jesus wept.... Floyd is fighting again in May...... It really is painful to think we accept this as the norm.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon 07 Nov 2011, 10:28 am

A load of tripe me thinks.

And even if it did, who is Arum to preach to anyone about mismatches!?

He asks who will buy this fight? Well who did he think was gonna buy Manny's fights with a finished Margarito, a finished Mosely, a never was in the God awful Clottey?

Mayweather isn't stupid. He made a statement with the Ortiz fight in fighting a young champion who came off a fantastic win.

Name me the last time Pacquiao did that?

I am not even going to say how I would feel if Mayweather fought Morales because it is never going to happen, end of.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 07 Nov 2011, 10:30 am

Reborn, have some respect for forum traditions if you're going to finish a post with end of it needs to be in capitals, preferably with several exclamation marks behind it, make an effort.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 07 Nov 2011, 10:31 am

Would be a good fight for Mexican independence day. Morales UD.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Mon 07 Nov 2011, 10:31 am

It's shocking KM, the man is as selfish as they come, i'm suprised he has any fans at all. I can't be bothered with him anymore. May is a joke.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Mon 07 Nov 2011, 10:32 am

rowley wrote:Reborn, have some respect for forum traditions if you're going to finish a post with end of it needs to be in capitals, preferably with several exclamation marks behind it, make an effort.

Laugh

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Mon 07 Nov 2011, 10:33 am

I wish Arum would drop dead. Seriously.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon 07 Nov 2011, 10:34 am

rowley wrote:Reborn, have some respect for forum traditions if you're going to finish a post with end of it needs to be in capitals, preferably with several exclamation marks behind it, make an effort.

Haha Jeff,

Yes, that would have been the correct way to finish that post, FACT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon 07 Nov 2011, 10:55 am

BALTIMORA wrote:I wish Arum would drop dead. Seriously.

For most people this wouldn't be too long with his age but Arum has cockroach characteristics with one being able to withstand most ailments and just survive whilst at the same time winding up boxing fans!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Mon 07 Nov 2011, 11:00 am

Cockroach Characteristics!!!

Haha! Classic!

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Mon 07 Nov 2011, 11:46 am

Valero's Conscience wrote:
BALTIMORA wrote:I wish Arum would drop dead. Seriously.

For most people this wouldn't be too long with his age but Arum has cockroach characteristics with one being able to withstand most ailments and just survive whilst at the same time winding up boxing fans!
Wouldn't surprise me. The man's a blight on the sport of late. He knows he doesn't have to plan for the long term so he's just looking to cash in while he's still got a pulse.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Mon 07 Nov 2011, 12:37 pm

Arum remains young within from drinking the pure tears of boxing fans who buy into his PPV extravaganzas.

I'd love to see DiBella give him a slap.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 07 Nov 2011, 1:20 pm

arum truly is awful for this sport not many promoters i hate more than fish eyes but i hate arum more

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Mon 07 Nov 2011, 1:31 pm

School Project wrote:Arum remains young within from drinking the pure tears of boxing fans who buy into his PPV extravaganzas.

I'd love to see DiBella give him a slap.
Laugh He derives sustenance from the shattered hopes of a paying public, like some kind of sporting succubus.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 07 Nov 2011, 1:43 pm

Nice easy no risk fight for the Pretty Boy that'll earn him another couple of mill. Can't see it happening but wouldn't be surprised if it did, classic PBF of late (not that Manny's been much better).

El Terrible should be down at 135 so guess it'd be at a 144 catchweight which Floyd will ignore to come in at 147 and paste the Mexican legend all over the ring.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 07 Nov 2011, 2:02 pm

it would be more one sided than the JMM fight... tenfold.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Mon 07 Nov 2011, 2:22 pm

Mayweather doesn't fight shot fighters.... Don't believe any of it.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 07 Nov 2011, 2:33 pm

This fight is a disgrace if it happens

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Mon 07 Nov 2011, 3:12 pm

mayweather picks the fighters who will earn him the highest money, hes been doing that for a long time. when he said line em up and i will beat them one by one, he only meant pay per view worthy opponents. marquez - done, mosley- done, ortiz - done. leaves us with.. cotto, margarito, morales, manny. khan on his way, but not quite yet.
he wont fight margarito, doesnt look like manny, lets hope its cotto and not morales.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 07 Nov 2011, 3:19 pm

cotto wouldnt be awful if he beats marg. but can only see floyd winning and not having to work too hard for it either.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Mon 07 Nov 2011, 3:20 pm

Cotto wouldn't have been awful three years ago. Now though...... Nah.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon 07 Nov 2011, 3:20 pm

Lance wrote:mayweather picks the fighters who will earn him the highest money, hes been doing that for a long time. when he said line em up and i will beat them one by one, he only meant pay per view worthy opponents. marquez - done, mosley- done, ortiz - done. leaves us with.. cotto, margarito, morales, manny. khan on his way, but not quite yet.
he wont fight margarito, doesnt look like manny, lets hope its cotto and not morales.

Well they are referring to "the little guy" so I can't see Cotto being named. Plus Cotto isn't going to fight a fighter of Mayweather's calibre again after what Manny dished out to him. He will stay at Light Middle, maybe moving up to middle when Marteniz shows signs of wear and tear me thinks.

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 07 Nov 2011, 3:22 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:

Well they are referring to "the little guy"

Ivan Calderon?

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Mon 07 Nov 2011, 3:23 pm

rowley wrote:

Ivan Calderon?

Might be Larry Merchant, he's not exactly Valuev-esque...........

Merchant EKO

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Mon 07 Nov 2011, 3:29 pm

rowley wrote:

Ivan Calderon?
Warwick Davis?

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon 07 Nov 2011, 3:41 pm

rowley wrote:

Ivan Calderon?

Tom thumb maybe?
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Mon 07 Nov 2011, 3:51 pm

margarito beats mayweather, thats why we will never see the match up

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Mon 07 Nov 2011, 3:57 pm

Lance wrote:margarito beats mayweather, thats why we will never see the match up

The same Marg that coped so well with Manny he lost pretty much every round. Yet you think he'll turn that around against a better and more elusive fighter?

I'm not sure why i bothered to reply to that as it's just wasted a few seconds of my life.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Mon 07 Nov 2011, 4:01 pm

coxy0001 wrote:
Lance wrote:margarito beats mayweather, thats why we will never see the match up

The same Marg that coped so well with Manny he lost pretty much every round. Yet you think he'll turn that around against a better and more elusive fighter?

I'm not sure why i bothered to reply to that as it's just wasted a few seconds of my life.

boxing is psychological, flloyd knows this better than anyone. margarito takes him places hes not willing to go to earn money

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 07 Nov 2011, 4:01 pm

coxy0001 wrote:I'm not sure why i bothered to reply to that as it's just wasted a few seconds of my life.

Youve wasted the last 29 years so a few seconds shouldnt hurt...

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 07 Nov 2011, 4:05 pm

Lance wrote:
coxy0001 wrote:

boxing is psychological, flloyd knows this better than anyone. margarito takes him places hes not willing to go to earn money

Quite literally, you mean, as Margarito is prohibited from fighting in Vegas? Other than that, he's of no consequence at all to Mayweather as an opponent. Seems as if being bigger than Mayweather is enough to 'beat him' in the eyes of some.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 07 Nov 2011, 4:05 pm

Steffan wrote:
coxy0001 wrote:I'm not sure why i bothered to reply to that as it's just wasted a few seconds of my life.

Very good Steffan, genuinely amused me that, although if you consider being a professional golfer and borderline England cricketer a waste you are setting the bar a bit high.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 07 Nov 2011, 4:07 pm

rowley wrote:
Steffan wrote:

Very good Steffan, genuinely amused me that, although if you consider being a professional golfer and borderline England cricketer a waste you are setting the bar a bit high.

What can I say I just have high expectations from people...

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Mon 07 Nov 2011, 4:08 pm

88Chris05 wrote:
Lance wrote:
coxy0001 wrote:

Quite literally, you mean, as Margarito is prohibited from fighting in Vegas? Other than that, he's of no consequence at all to Mayweather as an opponent. Seems as if being bigger than Mayweather is enough to 'beat him' in the eyes of some.

nothing to do with him being bigger for me, as i said, its psychological. to be honest i think flloyd would probably work marg out and beat him, but it would be very tough and not a fight he wants to take on. the marg fight may not be on anymore, but was the perfect match up before flloys first retirement.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Mon 07 Nov 2011, 4:08 pm

rowley wrote:
Steffan wrote:

I thought he was the doctor who delivered the baby Jesus and later on had conquered the entire mongol horde using nothing but his bare fists?

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Mon 07 Nov 2011, 4:09 pm

Lance wrote:
coxy0001 wrote:

Can one of the admins run a check, appears D4 has returned.

I guess he took Manny into his kitchen to make some cookies then? Because he got battered from pillar to post.

Lets not forget his troubles with an awful journeyman the fight before. Doesn't appear the same boxer now he can't hit with concrete in his wraps.

I do wonder what intrinsic, sad kinda person a WUM is and what makes them tick. Must be some sort of mental disorder.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 07 Nov 2011, 4:10 pm

Lance wrote:
88Chris05 wrote:
Lance wrote:
coxy0001 wrote:

nothing to do with him being bigger for me, as i said, its psychological. to be honest i think flloyd would probably work marg out and beat him, but it would be very tough and not a fight he wants to take on. the marg fight may not be on anymore, but was the perfect match up before flloys first retirement.
You weren't joking? Erm

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Mon 07 Nov 2011, 4:12 pm

Scottrf wrote:
Lance wrote:
88Chris05 wrote:
Lance wrote:
coxy0001 wrote:

You weren't joking? Erm

D4's returned. It'll only be a matter of minutes before he's lauding Marg for having his opponents health in mind as having concrete in your wraps is safer than not having them.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Mon 07 Nov 2011, 4:13 pm

Lance wrote:
88Chris05 wrote:
Lance wrote:
coxy0001 wrote:

oh no, the wrath of cocksy...
d4? wum? what cos i reckon marg would be a tough fight for flloyd??? got nothing to do with what marg did against pac or journeymen, boxing is a one on one sport, and flloyd doesnt hit hard enough to hurt marg, he spends 12 round uncomfortably avoiding him and outboxing him, but it would be tough.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next