The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Fight Erik Morales, Not Manny Pacquiao, Says Bob Arum

+14
BoxingFan88
TopHat24/7
AlexHuckerby
School Project
Valero's Conscience
BALTIMORA
Scottrf
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
KingMonkey
coxy0001
88Chris05
Rowley
The Galveston Giant
Daz
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Fight Erik Morales, Not Manny Pacquiao, Says Bob Arum - Page 2 Empty Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Fight Erik Morales, Not Manny Pacquiao, Says Bob Arum

Post by Daz Mon 07 Nov 2011, 8:54 pm

First topic message reminder :

Morning Folks

Came across this article this morning:

I remember saying back in September, half-joking but unfortunately half-serious, that I was terrified that Erik Morales, who had just claimed the bogus WBC title at 140 pounds, would attempt to step up to welterweight and face WBC welterweight titlist Floyd Mayweather Jr, who also picked up his green belt that night in Las Vegas.

Bob Arum may be joking, but he might not be when he says that Mayweather will target Morales, not Manny Pacquiao, for his May 5, 2012 return to the ring. From the Manila Bulletin:

"You know the little fellow that they already approached? Erik Morales," declared Arum.

... "Erik will confirm it, absolutely. Erik has been approached to make the fight. He’ll take it for the money. I’m sure he’ll take it for the money. Why wouldn’t he? But I don’t know who’s gonna buy it. But that’s (what) the whole non-sense is all about."

There is a sickening sensation I'm feeling here. Chris LaBate of BoxingScene.com says that Eric Gomez, Golden Boy's matchmaker, has told the Mexican press there's interest in the fight.

Of course, this could just be the latest in a series of "Are you Poopie' me?" rumored Mayweather opponents. Two names spring to mind: Matthew Hatton and Paul Spadafora. Both of these guys were, at one point, rumored to face Mayweather in recent times. Neither happened. Neither was ever a serious possibility.

I don't even doubt that Golden Boy, in some kind of bizarre fit of psychotic logic, may have approached Morales to gauge his interest. The fight will be on Cinco de Mayo, and if the opponent isn't You-Know-Who (and it's not gonna be), then a Mexican star would make sense. Golden Boy has few on their roster, fewer still around Mayweather's weight. There's Victor Ortiz, Erik Morales, and Humberto Soto. Soto is new at Golden Boy, and not near name enough for even a mild consideration. Ortiz seems to be written off as an option.

That leaves Morales.

Source: http://www.badlefthook.com/2011/11/7/2543663/floyd-mayweather-jr-next-fight-erik-morales-rumor-manny-pacquiao-news-bob-arum-may-5-2012

Awful choice if that happens. I was secretly hoping the Pacman fight might be made. Still early days I know but I didnt expect this match up. Morales doesnt stand a chance in my opinion. Will get picked off over 12 rounds.

Gutted!

Daz

Back to top Go down

Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Fight Erik Morales, Not Manny Pacquiao, Says Bob Arum - Page 2 Empty Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Fight Erik Morales, Not Manny Pacquiao, Says Bob Arum

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 08 Nov 2011, 3:14 am

Mayweather hits Margarito so much that his hands try to run away to avoid being bashed into his face. Margarito at his best doesn't even ask questions of Mayweather. Cotto was dealing with him until he surrendered the initiative and what Mosley did to him (in comparison with what Mayweather would do) was a Mosley SD

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Fight Erik Morales, Not Manny Pacquiao, Says Bob Arum - Page 2 Empty Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Fight Erik Morales, Not Manny Pacquiao, Says Bob Arum

Post by Rowley Tue 08 Nov 2011, 3:14 am

Lance wrote:

oh no, the wrath of cocksy...

Brilliant.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 08 Nov 2011, 3:15 am

The rath of cocksy Very Happy

Been there got the T Shirt

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 08 Nov 2011, 3:15 am

Lance wrote:he spends 12 round uncomfortably avoiding him and outboxing him, but it would be tough.
Doesn't sound tough? Tough on his hands?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 08 Nov 2011, 3:17 am

Lance wrote:flloyd doesnt hit hard enough to hurt marg

Just out of interest, what makes you so sure of that? Granted, Margarito has one hell of a chin, but so did Mosley and absolutely nobody can deny that Mayweather had him hurt quite a few times when they fought. There seems to be an idea growing that Mayweather isn't any kind of puncher at Welterweight, but I disagree.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 08 Nov 2011, 3:18 am

yeah but problem is someone bigger and stronger (quicker and fresher than marg) than floyd couldnt lay a glove on floyd in ortiz. i think margs time of throwing over 100 punches per round are over.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Tue 08 Nov 2011, 3:22 am

Lance wrote:
Lance wrote:
88Chris05 wrote:
Lance wrote:
coxy0001 wrote:
Lance wrote:margarito beats mayweather, thats why we will never see the match up

The same Marg that coped so well with Manny he lost pretty much every round. Yet you think he'll turn that around against a better and more elusive fighter?

I'm not sure why i bothered to reply to that as it's just wasted a few seconds of my life.

boxing is psychological, flloyd knows this better than anyone. margarito takes him places hes not willing to go to earn money

Quite literally, you mean, as Margarito is prohibited from fighting in Vegas? Other than that, he's of no consequence at all to Mayweather as an opponent. Seems as if being bigger than Mayweather is enough to 'beat him' in the eyes of some.

nothing to do with him being bigger for me, as i said, its psychological. to be honest i think flloyd would probably work marg out and beat him, but it would be very tough and not a fight he wants to take on. the marg fight may not be on anymore, but was the perfect match up before flloys first retirement.

oh no, the wrath of cocksy...
d4? wum? what cos i reckon marg would be a tough fight for flloyd??? got nothing to do with what marg did against pac or journeymen, boxing is a one on one sport, and flloyd doesnt hit hard enough to hurt marg, he spends 12 round uncomfortably avoiding him and outboxing him, but it would be tough.

As Roach said, Marg throws a punch on Tuesday and it reaches you by Sunday. Floyd would do exactly what he did to Baldomir and that's just dance to victory, it would be comfortable and it would be easy. To suggest otherwise just makes you sound a bit of an idiot to be honest.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Tue 08 Nov 2011, 3:22 am

88Chris05 wrote:
Lance wrote:flloyd doesnt hit hard enough to hurt marg

Just out of interest, what makes you so sure of that? Granted, Margarito has one hell of a chin, but so did Mosley and absolutely nobody can deny that Mayweather had him hurt quite a few times when they fought. There seems to be an idea growing that Mayweather isn't any kind of puncher at Welterweight, but I disagree.

nothing makes me sure of it all, i could be totally wrong, its just a thought ive always had that mayweather never wanted anything to do with marg. before mosley beat him, before the handwraps. after hatton margarito, was the perfect match up but he decided to retire. nobody can be certain marg doesnt beat mayweather though can they? after all mayweather would have to step in the ring with him to prove that beyound doubt, and he never bothered to do it, so i have every right to question what would have happend.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Tue 08 Nov 2011, 3:25 am

Margarito was coming off a loss and needed a rebuilding fight when FMJ fought Hatton, the timing was awful.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Tue 08 Nov 2011, 3:34 am

Would very much appreciate it if you chaps could back off with the nasty stuff, please. It's getting a wee bit beyond the acceptable.

Thank you.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 08 Nov 2011, 3:36 am

no need for the insults...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 08 Nov 2011, 3:38 am

Lance wrote:

well as you said, i might well be EDITED ORIGINAL, so please have a bit of understanding for those less fortunate than yourself sir

coxy is a professional golfer, international standard cricketer, economics expert, IT guru and irresistible to all females, everyone is less fortunate than him.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Tue 08 Nov 2011, 3:39 am

rowley wrote:
Lance wrote:

well as you said, i might well be retarded, so please have a bit of understanding for those less fortunate than yourself sir

coxy is a professional golfer, international standard cricketer, economics expert, IT guru and irresistible to all females, everyone is less fortunate than him.

Thank you for the kind words Rowley

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Tue 08 Nov 2011, 3:41 am

if you are going to edit the thread, maybe you should have started when coxy was calling me a wum and d4, just for having a different opinion to his?? not when he started making a fool out of himslef

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 08 Nov 2011, 3:43 am

Coxy you remain a continuing source of insperation to me

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Tue 08 Nov 2011, 3:44 am

Lance wrote:if you are going to edit the thread, maybe you should have started when coxy was calling me a wum and d4, just for having a different opinion to his?? not when he started making a fool out of himslef

And maybe you should allow me the time to read the thing through, thoroughly.

My priority was to remove the most offensive stuff first, ask you lot - politely - to wind it in and then address the other issues.

This, of course, is not to mention that if you could debate without the rough stuff there would have been no requirement for intervention in the first place.

Last edited by HumanWindmill on Tue 08 Nov 2011, 3:47 am; edited 1 time in total

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Tue 08 Nov 2011, 3:47 am

HumanWindmill wrote:
Lance wrote:if you are going to edit the thread, maybe you should have started when coxy was calling me a wum and d4, just for having a different opinion to his?? not when he started making a fool out of himslef

And maybe you shoud allow me the time to read the thing through, thoroughly.

My priority was to remove the most offensive stuff first, ask you lot - politely - to wind it in and then address the other issues.

This, of course, is not to mention that if you could debate without the rough stuff there would have been no requirement for intervention in the first place.

i guess whats most offensive is open to interpretation? you being the mod so your opinion being the one that counts, haha

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Tue 08 Nov 2011, 3:48 am

Lance wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:

i guess whats most offensive is open to interpretation? you being the mod so your opinion being the one that counts, haha

No haha or interpretation about it. These things are governed by the House Rules.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Tue 08 Nov 2011, 3:49 am

Pac lost about 3 rounds across the 3 cards

I, and i'm suspecting 99.99999% of others share this view, that Marg doesn't turn it around against FMJ.

Yes, styles make fights. But when you've got one guy who's not very good and would probably land about 10 punches on the more elusive boxer then i'd very much doubt Marg would even get to win 1 round this time round.

Slow, technically poor, face first fighters are ones that Mayweather has thrived on. The only real conundrum is how bored he gets strafing Marg with punch after punch

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue 08 Nov 2011, 3:54 am

rowley wrote:
Lance wrote:

well as you said, i might well be EDITED ORIGINAL, so please have a bit of understanding for those less fortunate than yourself sir

Where many men wish they could be James Bond, Coxy is suing the Fleming estate for plagiarising his life.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 08 Nov 2011, 3:56 am

BALTIMORA wrote:Where many men wish they could be James Bond, Coxy is suing the Fleming estate for plagiarising his life.

Laugh

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Tue 08 Nov 2011, 3:56 am

HumanWindmill wrote:
Lance wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:

No haha or interpretation about it. These things are governed by the House Rules.

i must have missed the house rule that states it is deemed more offensive to spell somebodies name wrong than it is to openmy insult them and make insinuas suggestions about their integrity

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Tue 08 Nov 2011, 3:58 am

coxy0001 wrote:Pac lost about 3 rounds across the 3 cards

I, and i'm suspecting 99.99999% of others share this view, that Marg doesn't turn it around against FMJ.

Yes, styles make fights. But when you've got one guy who's not very good and would probably land about 10 punches on the more elusive boxer then i'd very much doubt Marg would even get to win 1 round this time round.

Slow, technically poor, face first fighters are ones that Mayweather has thrived on. The only real conundrum is how bored he gets strafing Marg with punch after punch

im sure 99 percent think mayweather beats marg easily, you are correct. but what counts is mayweathers opinion, maybe im wrong, but i reckon hes never fancied it

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 08 Nov 2011, 3:59 am

Lance wrote:i must have missed the house rule that states it is deemed more offensive to spell somebodies name wrong than it is to openmy insult them and make insinuas suggestions about their integrity
4) Listen to the Moderators and/or Admins and follow their instructions.

If instructed by staff to do something, you are to comply. Failure to comply with Moderator or Admin instructions will result in punishment.

In the absence of a specific rule concerning a topic not covered above, members of staff have the right and responsibility to judge the situation and act accordingly.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Tue 08 Nov 2011, 4:01 am

Scottrf wrote:
Lance wrote:i must have missed the house rule that states it is deemed more offensive to spell somebodies name wrong than it is to openmy insult them and make insinuas suggestions about their integrity
4) Listen to the Moderators and/or Admins and follow their instructions.

If instructed by staff to do something, you are to comply. Failure to comply with Moderator or Admin instructions will result in punishment.

In the absence of a specific rule concerning a topic not covered above, members of staff have the right and responsibility to judge the situation and act accordingly.

thanks scottrf, that was a big help

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Tue 08 Nov 2011, 4:07 am

Lance wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:
Lance wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:

i must have missed the house rule that states it is deemed more offensive to spell somebodies name wrong than it is to openmy insult them and make insinuas suggestions about their integrity

I edited the first genuinely offensive post, leaving the inoffensive part intact.

Now, if you disagree with my actions you have options open to you. One would be to PM me. Another would be to lodge a complaint concerning my handling of this with the other admins.

There are also options which are not available, one of which is the continuing of this discussion here.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 08 Nov 2011, 4:08 am

HumanWindmill wrote:
Lance wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:
Lance wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:

I edited the first genuinely offensive post, leaving the inoffensive part intact.

Now, if you disagree with my actions you have options open to you. One would be to PM me. Another would be to lodge a complaint concerning my handling of this with the other admins.

There are also options which are not available, one of which is the continuing of this discussion here.

clap
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Tue 08 Nov 2011, 4:13 am

would be nice to see Erik getting a lot of press over here, although i would have to explain to all my friends that hes got brain damage and used to be a much better fighter than the one currently on display

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2