The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WWE/World Champion > US/IC Champion.

+8
Samo
Stonee21
TwisT
Mr H
Brady12
MtotheC
Kay Fabe
A Fine Folk.
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

WWE/World Champion > US/IC Champion.  Empty WWE/World Champion > US/IC Champion.

Post by A Fine Folk. Mon 07 Nov 2011, 2:05 pm

Just had a slight thought on the Cody Rhodes and Randy Orton feud over the last couple of months and taking into account Cody never defended his title against Randy which former World Champions have slipped back down into the I.C/US title picture?
Also a little question would you of liked to have seen Randy compete for the IC title considering over the past decade it has lost prestige?
What superstars have ever won the World Championship but then later on in their career drop back down to the U.S/IC Title picture?

Sheamus.
Dolph Ziggler (sort of).
Chris Benoit.
JBL.
Booker T.
Rey Mysterio.
Chris Jericho.
CM Punk.
Ric Flair.

Only been a wrestling fan since the attitude era so most probably haven't got all the superstars in there.
Add to the list and discuss this topic Smile.

A Fine Folk.

Back to top Go down

WWE/World Champion > US/IC Champion.  Empty Re: WWE/World Champion > US/IC Champion.

Post by Kay Fabe Mon 07 Nov 2011, 2:11 pm

Kane
HHH

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

WWE/World Champion > US/IC Champion.  Empty Re: WWE/World Champion > US/IC Champion.

Post by Kay Fabe Mon 07 Nov 2011, 2:14 pm

Bret Hart

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Mon 07 Nov 2011, 2:23 pm

Pedro Morales is another one I think too, sure he had a run with the World Title about 10 years before he got the IC

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC Mon 07 Nov 2011, 2:35 pm

I really don't see a problem with a former world champion having an ic or us title run in fact I don't even see it as a drop down in stature, a singles title should be ranked as a big achievement and not just a stepping stone to bigger and better things. I believe that if more bigger names were to hold the aforementioned titles it really could bring back a feel of importance and meaning to that picture, why not have an ic title match as the main event instead of some meaningless six man tag that they roll out week after week on raw? Somewhere down the line the other singles titles have become a testing ground for talent to see what they can do or just used to give mid cards a token push. IMO that's what's wrong with wwe's booking they are so focused on keeping their big stars looking strong that have missed so many opportunities to create a wrestling show that appears competitive throughout the roster and varying title pictures

MtotheC

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Mon 07 Nov 2011, 2:40 pm

I couldnt beileve it when Triple H won the IC after the world as part of the 'Two man Power Trip'... I remember Reading an interview, Triple H said he didn't see it as 'a step down more a step up for the intercontinental title' somes him up really

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Mon 07 Nov 2011, 2:47 pm

Its been a while since there was a Champion v Champion match, which i feel is a brilliant way to give the IC/US title some credible exposure.

Dolph Ziggler (US Champion) vs CM Punk (WWE Champion) would be a right decent little fued. Punk holding both titles for a short period would really give the US Title some credibility if he stated his desire to hold onto the strap. It would also do Ziggler the world of good to win it back from the current WWE Champion CM Punk.

I always think of Hogan vs Warrior when i think of Champion vs Champion matches.

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Mon 07 Nov 2011, 2:56 pm

I don't think there will ever be another Champion vs Champion match that has the same aura as Hogan vs Warrior, that truly was Champion of the world material in 1990

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by TwisT Mon 07 Nov 2011, 3:01 pm

Rather than Ziggler v CM Punk, I think Rhodes (IC) v Orton (WHC) would be a better bet. Not Hogan v Warrior granted, but could really develop in pushing Rhodes to be a genuine title contender.

TwisT

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonee21 Mon 07 Nov 2011, 3:02 pm

Quite a few have done it, HBK dropped to the European belt after a run in the main event scene and a bit of his book always stood out for me.

As far as he was concerned it was not a step back and he believed that a championship belt is only as valuable as what the wrestler does with it. The IC use to be one of the highest achievements in the wwe because the wrestlers made it look important and that is what a lot of the greats like HBK and Hart showed, no matter what title they were holding whether the European, IC or WWF title they made it seem like the world and take a look at their careers, it never did any harm and probably made them rise in the opinions of fans.

Stonee21

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Mon 07 Nov 2011, 3:07 pm

Michaels didn't really drop a level though to be fair, he was still main eventing whilst he was European Champion, I think the thinking behind giving him that title was to put it over as a huge achievment but the way he dropped it, while IMO very well done to fit the story, did the actual title more harm than good

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonee21 Mon 07 Nov 2011, 3:12 pm

Agreed Gaffer but I was just making the point that it is only a step back if the wrestler believes so, a belt is only what the wrestler makes of it. The last time I saw some genuinely hold that IC belt as if it was the most important belt in the world was y2j and he was a great champ and I am happy to see Rhodes going down the same route.

Stonee21

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Mon 07 Nov 2011, 3:48 pm

The problem is and always will be is that the IC title will always be compared to when it was at its peak during 1988-1995, when there was only one world champion and the quality of the guys in the mid card were a million times better than that of today.

Steamboat v Savage, Bret Hart v Roddy Piper, Davey Boy v Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels v Razor Ramon just to name a few matches are regarded as classics.

No disrespect to the current midcarders but they arent in these guys' league. Its not their fault though, the burst of talent in the early 90s was just freakishly good, not to mention that we now have 2 world champions so the bigger draws will naturally be in and around the world title picture.

Alot of people reckon if we only have one world champion it'd help bring prestige back to the IC title but i disagree, because if the world title scene only involved Cena, Orton, Punk and Henry who would be left vying for the midcard titles? - Del Rio, Sheamus, Cody, The Miz? Are these kind of guys going to bring prestige back to the IC title? I dont think so.

Yes the WWE could do more to build their midcarders to make them credible but i'll always maintain that back in the day the talent was just simply better than that of today. It was just a freak burst of charasmatic stars in the making which will never be replicated. We might get the odd one or two who make the step up but the IC title scene, no matter how hard the WWE try, will never be as good as it was back in the early 90s of which it will always be compared to.

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Mon 07 Nov 2011, 4:05 pm

I don't agree that the burst of talent was down to some freak of nature, it's simple really, all these guys who where usually over 30 when they had their first major singles run in the WWF where allowed to develop a proper individual character, they went all over the World and toured the territories in the States to find out what worked and what didn't so when they made Internationally with the WWF they where so in tune with their character that it was smooth and came across as completely natural, the guys today simply don't get that chance, they are moulded the same in the same style and put on TV years before they are ready

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Mon 07 Nov 2011, 4:54 pm

Im not so sure gaffer, Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels started out in tag teams and were fast tracked into singles competition without the benefit of touring the world developing their characters. They were succesful because they had it, they were naturally charasmatic and carried themselves in a way that you knew they'd go on to be huge stars. You either have charisma or you dont, i dont believe any of the current midcarders will ever have the charisma or drawing power to make the same impact the likes of Hart and Michaels did when they broke away from the midcard scene.

Hart, Michaels, Savage, Razor and Piper had more charisma in their little fingers than any midcard guy in the last 5 years and for me it was hugely beneficial to the Intercontinental Title that these guys burst onto the scene at the same time. Something that will never happen again.

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Mon 07 Nov 2011, 5:57 pm

Hart worked all over the World and was a Wrestler for about 10 years before he made it to the WWF, even then he had to get put in a tag team for another 5 years before he was ready for a singles run, by that time he was about 33/34

Same with Shawn, he definitely didn't have 'it' in his earliest days, he had something but it wasn't star quality, he toured the territories until he found what worked for him and eventually that's what got him over, nowadays he'd have been on TV with his first look, pale guy with a bowl cut and short trunks and the fans would lose interest, again, he was another who was in the WWF for about 7/8 years and about 30 by the time he was given the bat in a main event run

Roddy Piper is my favourite heel of all time but even he was horrible when he started out, it took him a long time and loads of different territories before he put it all together in the early 80s, Piper would probably not have made it in WWE nowadays due to him being so awkward and out of his depth at the beginning

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Mon 07 Nov 2011, 6:08 pm

Also, I'm not sure if you ever saw much of Scott Hall pre Razor Ramon but he was one of the blandest guys in Wrestling, it was only when Vince moulded him into Razor Ramon which I believe he pitched in fairness to him that he made the grade, after Razor, Scott Hall could do what he wanted but to this day his best 3 years in the business as a character was between late 92 & late 95 as Razor Ramon, he did big things in WCW but nothing as good as his performance as Razor IMO

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by A Fine Folk. Mon 07 Nov 2011, 7:44 pm

Didn't know where else to write it so I'll put it here, at Survivor Series the traditional 5 on 5 match will be Team Orton v Team Barrett. On Orton's team will be Himself, Sheamus, Sin Cara, Kofi Kingston and Mayson Ryan. And for Barrett's team it will be himself, Sin Cara (the imposer), Cody Rhodes, Jack Swagger and Christian..
Thoughts?

Last edited by A Fine Folk. on Mon 07 Nov 2011, 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

A Fine Folk.

Back to top Go down

Post by A Fine Folk. Mon 07 Nov 2011, 7:45 pm

Thats wwe.com official.

A Fine Folk.

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Mon 07 Nov 2011, 8:08 pm

Dont know why its Team Barrett vs Team Orton, it should either be Orton vs Cody or Sheamus vs Barrett.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Mon 07 Nov 2011, 8:24 pm

I hate how they don't even put any thought into team names

Orton's Viper's vs Wade's Wolves

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by A Fine Folk. Mon 07 Nov 2011, 8:36 pm

the-gaffer wrote:I hate how they don't even put any thought into team names

Orton's Viper's vs Wade's Wolves

thats absolutely awful!

A Fine Folk.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Mon 07 Nov 2011, 8:49 pm

Wolves and Viper's man come one!!!! Wink

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by psycho-gooner Mon 07 Nov 2011, 9:44 pm

Also a little question would you of liked to have seen Randy compete for the IC title considering over the past decade it has lost prestige?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

No because then once he wins it after 1 match. Vince will probably never let him drop it because that involves losing via pinfall Doh

psycho-gooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Tue 08 Nov 2011, 2:16 pm

At the end of the day gaffer whether they were built up or not, the guys were naturally gifted performers who were just plain better than the guys of today.

Guys like Swagger, Ziggler, DiBiase, Rhodes etc are exactly novices. They've been in the business for a long time. Swagger has played the same character since his debut and has an amateur wrestling background, yet he hasnt improved since the first day he appeared on our screens even though he's had masses of TV time and promo time over the years. Why? Because he has no charisma and no presence. He just hasnt got it. DiBiase and Rhodes come from famous wrestling families and have grown up in the business, yet when Ted Jr tried playing the 'Rich Son' he couldnt pull it off. His dad was simply better at drawing the attention of the audience because he had more presence.

You can send Ziggler, Swagger etc around the world for 5 years trying to get them to perfect their character but there is no chance in hell they'd come close to the standards set by the guys of the 90s because they dont have the natural aura or natural talent to draw.

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Tue 08 Nov 2011, 2:33 pm

I totally disagree, plus your missing the point with Swagger, he had/has all the tools but who is to say his particular gimmick is one that most suits him? That was the whole point of working the territories, to find new tricks from different promoters who looked for different things, no two cities where the same so you had to adapt, now they're thrown on TV years to earlier and they basically have to learn their trade in front of a camera and World Wide audiance, there is so little room for error these days that very seldom people are willing to sacrifice the spot they have by taking a chance

I totally disagree with Dolph Ziggler, this guy could main event WrestleMania, he has a great look, he has incredible intensity and is taking more chances on the mic, he has been a much better promo guy these last few months than he ever has before

It's impossible to say any of these guys won't be the huge players in 5 years time, back in 95 when Hunter Hurst Helmsley debuted not many people would have imagined he'd go on to be the best heel in the business within five years

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Tue 08 Nov 2011, 3:31 pm

I totally disagree with everything you've just said gaffer and think you are the one missing the point with Swagger, It doesnt matter what character you give him he just hasnt got the natural charisma to ever be a major star. He makes Batista look like The Rock. We could go round in circles all day so we'll just have to agree to disagree. If Dolph Ziggler main events Wrestlemania the WWE will be in a very very sad state of affairs.

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Tue 08 Nov 2011, 6:09 pm

You disagree with everything? You don't agree that these guys are on TV years earlier than they should be and basically learn their trades on front of millions who judge them at their worst while comparing them to guys at their best, you don't agree with that??????

Take Sid Vicious/Justice, he had this incredable size and body but had zero natural charisma, they booked him all over the place to try and get him more comfortable, nothing worked, until Jerry Lawler got hold of him down in Memphis and put a mask on him, through time he became more confident and he began showing signs of Charisma and for me he is one of the most intensely dominant looking guys ever in Pro Wrestling

Why would Dolph Ziggler main eventing WrestleMania mean it's in a sad state of affairs? You can't seem to get that if you're only going to compare guys who are nowhere near their peak yet with guys who you are picturing at thier peak then obviously you're going to be disappointed, like I said, did you think for one tiny moment that in 1995 when the blue blood Hunter Hurst Helmsley was eating Henry Godwin's slop bucket that within five years he'd be the biggest and best bad guy in the business? I would doubt, bottom line is we just don't know but until we stop expecting relative newbies to the business with guys who had over 10 years experiance in a far easier time to break into the business then we'll always be down on it.

It's alright saying Cody Rhodes isn't exactly a novice but he got put on TV in 2007 and I don't think I've ever seen anybody less prepared for a tv audiance of about 5 million, he was awful, to be fair he improved pretty quickly, mostly when he got paired with DiBiase but he was still years away from being ready, these guys are always going to be judged on how crap they where when we first seen them, Cody Rhodes is a sure thing barring injury to win the WHC next year but I still can't believe that skinny pastey kid who looked ad sounded horrendous could be the main man

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Tue 08 Nov 2011, 10:02 pm

I agree that a lot of guys are probably on TV earlier than they should be, but that isn't the point. The point is that the WWE giving us some of the greatest stars of all time in the early 90s is not necessarily down to them being given time to develop before going onto TV. Shawn Michaels was a Rocker one week then boom all of a sudden he was the Heartbreak Kid, this cocky arrogant heel with masses of charisma. He didn't take time off to practice being this new character he developed it on TV and HE made it work because HE had the ability to get over. Its not as if the WWF could have slapped the HBK character on anyone and expect it to work, it only worked because Shawn Michaels made it work.

Same with Jake Roberts, you can't deny that the guy naturally oozed charisma and had natural in ring psychology. He told a story like no other but there wasn't anything fancy to his character, he didnt have a huge body or intimidating look but everytime he spoke he had the audience in the palm of his hand. Why? Because he had IT.

I'm just saying that on a general scale, without hand picking any exceptions, that generally the midcarders of today haven't got the natural attributes to be as good as the midcarders of the early 90s. I don't care if you sent half of them around the world, to the indies or to the moon to perfect their character, when they came back onto TV the majority of them would still fall short of the standards set back in the day because they haven't truly got IT as much as their predecessors.

I hate analogies, but Leonardo Di Caprio is a very good actor, he could play multiple characters over the years but will he ever be as good as Robert De Niro? No, because De Niro is just a better actor. Simple as.

I also would be very very suprised if Rhodes won a World Title next year. I'd expect him to slip down the pecking order after the draft. Hey I may be proved wrong but I just can't see it.

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by Dx Dan. Tue 08 Nov 2011, 10:37 pm

Completely disagree with you on Dolph there Mr H, the guy is superb in the ring, can sell better then anyone currently in the 'E in my opinion, and his gimmick and mic skills are ever improving. I don't feel he is ready to be in a world title match for Wrestlemania 28, but to say the WWE would be in a very very sad state of affairs is an overstatement. He is forever improving all round, and if Vince & Co. decided he was ready and got fully behind him and pushed him to such a height what would be wrong with that?
Everyone's always moaning that the WWE never push enough of their young 'stars' and it's always the same old faces in the main event, what would be so bad about a bit of fresh meat in the main event picture?
I for one think he is more talented then Del Rio, the guy just ooze's dullness in my opinion.

Dx Dan.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Tue 08 Nov 2011, 11:04 pm

That's great that you think that Dan, I'm just afraid I don't share your optimism. Whilst Ziggler is hugely improved he's a long long way from main eventing Wrestlemania. To say it'd be a sad state of affairs may have been harsh, of course I'd like to see new talent pushed to the top, but Ziggler is somewhere in the middle of the queue right now. The Miz, Daniel Bryan, Wade Barrett and Sheamus are all for me more deserving of a chance of being given the ball.

Agree about Del Rio though, he couldn't draw a raffle.

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Tue 08 Nov 2011, 11:35 pm

Shawn Michaels transition wasn't as black and white as that to be fair, it was a gradual heel turn, he had been portraying signs of arrogance for about 6-8 weeks before he knocked Jannetty's head off, he also had Curt Hennig and Bobby Heenan giving him tips and almost immediately was put with Sensational Sherri, also, by that time Shawn had already learned and mastered his trade, he was a golden boy, turning and breaking up one of the most popular teams in history was always going to get him instant heat, having Perfect and the Brain to guide him and Sherri to mask him early doors helped him immensely

Jake the Snake didn't just become a wrestler and become a psychological warlord, that took time, have you watched his DVD? he was horrible in the beginning, not by the time he got to the WWF just early doors in his career, it took many years and many different territories before Jake Roberts put it all together

I also believe the reason guys seem so much better back then is because they had gimmicks, everyone had a gimmick, they also kayfabed 24/7 so it was a lot easier to be that guy when you stayed in character every minute of the day

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Dx Dan. Tue 08 Nov 2011, 11:54 pm

Well i'm glad you have admitted your comment was harsh and unnecessary, but you have a good point with the 4 you've mentioned, although I would currently place Ziggler just above Bryan, just.

Dx Dan.

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Wed 09 Nov 2011, 12:13 am

Interesting debate.... I think Ziggler has the potential to be a main eventer. He's much improved over the last 12 months. He's probably the best seller in the WWE today, he looks good on the mic, I don't think he was given much chance to develop these skills in the past. His skits on Zack Ryders YouTube Show have been excellent.

Do the mid carders of the early 90's have more charisma than those of today? Absolutely! The mid carders of that era had more about them than most world champions of today's era. Jake Roberts never held a championship in the WWF but had more charisma in his left index finger than Mark Henry & Sheamus will ever have. Is it because there's no territorial system? I don't think it's as black & White as that but who knows but I doubt it. Charisma, X Factor, Personality, Presence whatever you want to call it in my opinion can't be taught.

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Wed 09 Nov 2011, 12:47 am

No one will ever hear me say Shawn and Bret and Perfect and Jake weren't a million times better than anything today, my point is that by the time these guys got their single pushes in the WWF their Wrestling education was a million times better than what the current crop get today, they get less of the education and fast tracked to TV and thats the real problem, and here is my point in a nutshell, it wasn't some freak burst of talent, the territories in the 70s 80s & 90s where infinitely better than anything the younger guys had since the turn of the Millenium

In 1985 Shawn Michaels looked about as bland as Colin Delaney, Vince would never have put him on TV as a 'Superstar' and that right there is the problem

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by A Fine Folk. Wed 09 Nov 2011, 12:53 am

I'll have you know with the right gimmick Colin Delaney could of been the biggest thing in the company.

A Fine Folk.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Wed 09 Nov 2011, 1:01 am

He's not even the biggest thing in his house

Last edited by the-gaffer on Wed 09 Nov 2011, 1:10 am; edited 1 time in total

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Wed 09 Nov 2011, 1:04 am

the-gaffer wrote:No one will ever hear me say Shawn and Bret and Perfect and Jake weren't a million times better than anything today, my point is that by the time these guys got their single pushes in the WWF their Wrestling education was a million times better than what the current crop get today, they get less of the education and fast tracked to TV and thats the real problem, and here is my point in a nutshell, it wasn't some freak burst of talent, the territories in the 70s 80s & 90s where infinitely better than anything the younger guys had since the turn of the Millenium

In 1985 Shawn Michaels looked about as bland as Colin Delaney, Vince would never have put him on TV as a 'Superstar' and that right there is the problem

Can't argue with much of that. All I'll say is guys with charisma will rise to the top regardless of there education & no matter how bland they appear case in point Rock Maivia....

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Wed 09 Nov 2011, 1:26 am

I'm not so sure, I'm not one of those guys who believes charisma can't be taught, I don't think it's just something you're born with, there are also different kinds of charisma

Fair point on the Rock but he was like Hogan in that despite how green they where from their earliest days, they where always pencilled in for stardom, if only it was as easy to spot as that all the time.

Steve Austin is a great example, everyone thought he had the tools but they couldn't just put it together, he was a pretty boy then a bit of a shooter while working with Japanese talent but it wasn't until he went to ECW and he was allowes that worked shoot on Hogan, Bischoff and WCW and bang, the pieces started falling into place, he still lacked a bit though and he shaves his head and sees a 'Dudley 3:16' sign and the rest is history, well after Vince initially rejected his idea and gave him the Ring Master gimmick

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Wed 09 Nov 2011, 9:58 am

Brady is spot on, the cream will always rise to the top. The WWE gives them the opportunity but ultimately its down to the individual to make their character work, you could be given the coolest gimmick in the world but if you havent got the natural personality traits to get yourself over then it just wont happen. Its like drawing blood from a stone.

Take Jack Swagger, the guy has an impecible amateur background, he worked FCW and has played the same character on screen since 2008, he's had plenty of promo time but he has no charisma and cant get himself over. Ted DiBiase Jr, the Rich Son gimmick should be taken off but it didnt because he doesnt possess a natural aura like his father. John Morrison, enough said.

I could argue my point until im blue in the face, and obviously there will be exceptions who do make the grade, of course nobody could see HHH becoming the star he did, but my initial point was that on a general scale the guys of the early 90s were so over because they got themselves over with their own charisma. Id argue that even Rick Martel and The Mountie had more charisma and talent than Dolph Ziggler and they werent even regarded as top draws.

I know how stubborn you are gaffer and will defend your opinions to the hill, but i wont budge on this one buddy!

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Wed 09 Nov 2011, 10:28 am

Triple H I think was just stupidly driven, unless you know the guy you wouldn't be able to detect that from the outside. I mean come on the guy befriend the number one star in the company & married the bosses daughter! Who else in the business was a active wrestler not on pay per views but sitting in on the booking meetings?

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Wed 09 Nov 2011, 1:30 pm

It's not about being stubborn H, I just have a very different point of view from you on this and believe I'm right in what I'm saying and I also think The Mountie was nowhere near as good in the ring or on the mic as Dolph Ziggler, he had a good gimmick and a top manager by his side, he was also a legit tough guy.

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Wed 09 Nov 2011, 1:38 pm

Well thats what this forum is for i guess - debating opinions. It just happens that i dont agree with you on this instance.

By the way, 'Wade's Wolves'?!

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Wed 09 Nov 2011, 1:43 pm

Laugh that was more tongue in cheek, I do think Team 'insert random wrestler' is a bit boring though

Randy's Vipers vs Barrett's bruisers would be my choice

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC Wed 09 Nov 2011, 5:48 pm

Very interesting stuff reading the posts of gaff and H going back and forth you both make some great points, I found this in a recent online interview with Chris Jericho

QUESTION: What do you think of pro wrestling at the moment? It seems to have suffered from the WWE effectively having a monopoly…

Y2J: Its an experience thing. I think my generation of guys was one of the best because we were going around the world learning their craft before we ever got to the WWE. Now there’s a lot of guys there who have less than five years experience. And I don’t think I really, really knew exactly what I was doing until I came back in 2008 when it came to manipulation of a crowd. I had great stuff before that, don’t get me wrong – but it wasn’t until then that I felt on certain nights that I was the best in the world. It takes years to become truly great at anything, and the guys there at the moment haven’t had five years experience, never mind ten or fifteen.

It seam as tho Jericho shares your view gaff!

MtotheC

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Wed 09 Nov 2011, 7:46 pm

Interesting statement by Jericho, i always felt the honest man gimmick he portrayed from 2008/9 was his weakest gimmick. The fued with Shawn Michaels was excellent but after that i got bored of his promos and felt he got pretty lazy.

I always thought Jericho was more charasmatic in his earlier days to be honest.

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Wed 09 Nov 2011, 7:53 pm

Me too, the Jericho in WCW where he was a proper screeching whiney heel was by far and away the best for me.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Wed 09 Nov 2011, 8:28 pm

I enjoyed his honest man gimmick right up until Edge got injured around mid July, I though it was great for a year but after Edge got injured which was supposed to lead to a big massive WM26 blow off he just kinda killed time which in trn killed his momentum, they still had it but Edge was nowhere near healthy enough to make it work and Jericho had lost the spark as well

I enjoyed the whole Jericho vs Legends program at WrestleMania but I felt he was so hot in late 08 that he should have went up against Cena for the WHC instead of having Cena win it on his first night back at the 2008 Survivor Series, Jericho after the HBK series should have held it to WrestleMania XXV

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Thu 10 Nov 2011, 1:44 am

I've got too agree with gaffer on this one, while I can't garuntee that midcarders of yester year weren't just better than today's crop, I think it would be foolish to overlook the fact the vast majority of wrestlers in the older days spent many years and got numerous chances to hone their craft in front of crowds of various tastes and interact and learn from veternans who had learned from the same experiances. In contrast to todays guys who are given a few years training in OVW/FCW before being transfered to the main roster, these guys are given a one size fits all training in the WWE style.

Now Im not knocking the WWE style it is essential to standing a chance of surviving the grueling WWE scheduale, prevents an akward styles clash (see CM Punks trial match or Sin Cara's WWE work for further details) and can be damn entertaining if done correctly but if everyone gets the same kind of training how is it possible for anyone to stand out from the crowd and leave a lasting impression if they only know how to act and perform in the same way as everyone else, I wrote an articale on the old 606 about how I would structure WWE's training system and one of the things I advocated was that WWE strike deals with other wrestling promotions and send its trainess away on japanese style learning excusions in order to gain as many experiances as possible in order to allow them to see what works for them and how to best put everything they have learned together to tailor there own unique character which is what people were doing for decades in the territories before they died out.

Im getting off topic but I would say you only have to look at Daniel Bryan, and recently Jon Moxley (Darren Ambrose) in WWE/FCW and compare them to most of the OVW/FCW graduates of the past few years, the contrast (for me at least) is breathtaking, Bryan famously wrestled all over the world, learned a variety of styles and while he ain't know Stone Cold on the mic, the way he carries himself in the ring speaks volumes, he's so comfertable in the ring and has worked against a variety of opponents without a bad match (that I have seen), Ambrose on the other hand has a character that would probably considered attention grabbing in the main event scene let alone FCW or the WWE mid card, judging by the treatment he is receiving in FCW, I think WWE see big things in him and this has to be based on his unique, attention grabbing character, a charcter he spent 7 years learning and honing on the indy circuit, how can anyone who spent 3 years learning how to wrestle before having some pre-made WWE gimmick hoisted on him before he debuted in front of millions on TV supposed to compete with that?

Finally just a small point that Jacques Rougeau wrestled in the territories of Canada and America for 9 years before appearing in the WWF spending 4 years as in a tag teamer before appearing as The Mountie, and this was a lower mid-carder, contrast this to Ziggler who is a product of OVW after signing cold from ameatur wrestling he is only been wresling with the WWE for 7 years, so the Mountie still has 4 years experiance on him, and Jacques for me definatly had a more rounded and cultured wrestling education that Ziggler so I'd give Ziggler another 4 years before we can compare the 2.

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Thu 10 Nov 2011, 11:34 am

You make good points Dr G but you've kind of gone off on a tangent against my initial statement.

I fully understand that the wrestlers of yesteryear had more time and training to hone their skills and fine tune their character, but do you think these guys were randomly assigned these characters? Do you think Shawn Michaels was given the HBK gimmick by accident? Do you think Jake Roberts was given his gimmick by accident? No way. It wasnt a fluke that the WWF gave these guys their individual gimmicks, they were given these characters because it suited their natural attributes. They'd have known that Roberts had the personality traits to pull off being a cold, calculated talker and be a master of in-ring psychology. Its not as if they could have chucked that character at Kerry Von Erich and said 'right make this character work and you'll be on TV in 4 years'.

Do you get what im saying?

My point is, that the current crop of superstars dont scream out to me that they ooze the natural charisma to make a character work, no matter how good that character might be. If the individual isnt good enough, it just wont work. I mean, if you told Ted DiBiase Jr he's going to be an evil, sadistic phsycopath called Professor Black and get him to perfect the character by travelling around the world before returning to TV in 5 years, do you think he could really pull that off? I dont think so, because he's as wooden as a door and lacks presence.

My initial point was that on a general scale the guys of yesteryear would have been easier to assign characters to because of their individual qualities, whereas i think the WWE would struggle to find a top character for the current crop because they are basically generic muscle bound statues with no natural personality. (With the odd exception).

Does anyone get me, or agree with me, or am i on my own with this?!

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next