The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Poppy Wars

+7
JPX
Kay Fabe
Luke
User Name
Crimey
Fernando
Davie
11 posters

Go down

Poppy Wars Empty Poppy Wars

Post by Davie Tue 08 Nov 2011, 8:53 pm

I couldn't find an article about this - I'm surprised no one has started on (unless I'm looking in the wrong place in which case, please merge)

So English (and Welsh?) FAs have asked for permission to wear poppies on their shirts for this weekend's international matches. FIFA have refused.

It seems to me that the FIFA rules need to be rethought but while the rules are as they are I can't see what hope the FA has of overturning them. I wonder how we'd feel if Germany was taken over by a neo-nazi group who wanted to wear a swaztika on their shirts.

As I peer into my crystal ball I see the following...

1) England defy the ban and wear the poppy with pride
2) FIFA decide to dock England 10 pts from the Euro qualifier group and are replaced in Poland by a small village in Moldovia who are currently applying for independence
3) Wayne Rooney's suspension is increased from 3 games to a life ban
4) Steve Gerrard is similarly banned for life because of his rather suspicious "groin infection"
5) FIFA mandate that Gary Neville must be reinstated as England's right back for the next 10 years

Nah - could never happen - or could it?

Davie

Back to top Go down

Poppy Wars Empty Re: Poppy Wars

Post by Fernando Tue 08 Nov 2011, 8:57 pm

Nothing would surprise me with FIFA honestly it's a poppy, Personally i reckon the FA will just call the game off unless FIFA agree to it

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue 08 Nov 2011, 8:59 pm

That will go down well with the 80,000 who have bought tickets

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Tue 08 Nov 2011, 9:00 pm

Davie wrote:That will go down well with the 80,000 who have bought tickets

FA will just use their general trick of a refund or use it for another match

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue 08 Nov 2011, 9:14 pm

I'm sorry but I really don't see a problem with this. As much as Fifa have made some bizarre decisions in the past few years, this is perfectly sound logic.

While wearing poppies isn't particularly harmful, they are right in that the rules are there for a reason, national team shirts are supposed to be empty of any statement, and a poppy is one, while a respectful one, if they bend the rules for this exception, there will just be more and more requests.

I don't think I have put that very well, essentially, the rule is a sensible one, and it's unfortunate that it's against the poppy, but they should stick to the rules otherwise there is no point having any.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by User Name Tue 08 Nov 2011, 9:26 pm

invincibleILeak (CL-6WF) wrote:I'm sorry but I really don't see a problem with this. As much as Fifa have made some bizarre decisions in the past few years, this is perfectly sound logic.

While wearing poppies isn't particularly harmful, they are right in that the rules are there for a reason, national team shirts are supposed to be empty of any statement, and a poppy is one, while a respectful one, if they bend the rules for this exception, there will just be more and more requests.

I don't think I have put that very well, essentially, the rule is a sensible one, and it's unfortunate that it's against the poppy, but they should stick to the rules otherwise there is no point having any.

They allowed the black and white Nike stand up, speak up, Holland ones a few years ago, against racism thing.

User Name

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue 08 Nov 2011, 9:29 pm

Perhaps because anti-racism is a universal thing

Or maybe just because Nike has more clout than the Royal British Legion

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Tue 08 Nov 2011, 9:36 pm

But the poppies thing isn't only with England/Wales, Spain, France, Italy are amongst the other countries that wanted to do this.

I also believe that they were then going to auction off the jerseys for charities (England shirts money was going to help the Heros).

As a one of gesture this could have helped FIFA, gain some respect, as it is seen as a corrupt organisation that has NO morals.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Tue 08 Nov 2011, 9:37 pm

I think if Japan wore some sort of memorial to commemorate all of their fallen heroes, everyone of them so that would include those lost at Pearl Harbour their would be an uproar, I'm with Fifa on this

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 08 Nov 2011, 9:51 pm

fernando wrote:Nothing would surprise me with FIFA honestly it's a poppy, Personally i reckon the FA will just call the game off unless FIFA agree to it

As if that'll happen. The F.A lack the spine to even contemplate that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 09 Nov 2011, 12:00 pm

I see Cameron is getting involved now! Lots of people behaving like spoiled children stamping feet and crying "it's not fair"

The Royal British Legion have shown the most class and sense so far backing the proposed alternatives (laying of wreaths and black armbands) saying ""There are other ways to honour the poppy than by wearing it on a shirt"

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Wed 09 Nov 2011, 12:08 pm

One point........

Isn't the whole point of the poppy thing that you have donated to get a poppy then made the effort to pin it to your shirt / coat etc?

Is it just me or does an embroidered poppy on a football shirt actually mean very little at all?

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Thu 10 Nov 2011, 12:59 am

17th November 2010. England v France. Not a single embroidered poppy in sight.

November 2009, Brazil v England. Same again.

In fact, anyone could go to http://www.thefa.com and have a look through England's results in their history, see what games took place in early to mid November and I bet you the poppy is never mentioned.

Since the end of the first World War, this is the FIRST time the FA have cared enough about Rememberance Day enough to try and overturn FIFA's rules.

I simply do not see why the FA are getting so much praise for their bandwagon jumping.

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Thu 10 Nov 2011, 10:01 am

Agreed Marky. It seems to be new trend that all teams are doing, and I can't see why a player pulling on a shirt that now has a poppy on it, means anything at all. The players should pin a poppy to their suits before and after the game and that should be enough.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by President Trump Thu 10 Nov 2011, 10:05 am

Its all been sorted by a backbencher, the poppy will be on the black armbands worn by the players

President Trump

Back to top Go down

Post by TwisT Thu 10 Nov 2011, 10:35 am

Prince William got involved. Can't wait until he is King. He will sort people out.

TwisT

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu 10 Nov 2011, 3:29 pm

Apparently England have now decided to try a different tact and will be changing their whole kit for the game - http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport/sport-headlines/england-to-play-dressed-as-stormtroopers-201111074512/

John Terry is fully behind it

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down