The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shaun Edwards: Wales would have beaten the All blacks

+17
mckay1402
disneychilly
Luckless Pedestrian
eirebilly
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
LondonTiger
mystiroakey
aucklandlaurie
majesticimperialman
Glas a du
offload
emack2
welshy824
England rugby fan
Gatts
Turkster
blackcanelion
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Shaun Edwards: Wales would have beaten the All blacks Empty Shaun Edwards: Wales would have beaten the All blacks

Post by blackcanelion Tue 08 Nov 2011, 10:52 pm

Apparently Wales would have beaten the AB's if they had made the finals. The idea being Wales had bigger backs and would have exposed NZ out wide.

Here's the lkink: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10764795

My thoughts are, it's good to be positive and you are always in with a chance. I'm not sure if it's media spin. I'd say Wales chances were probably less than France. I'm not sure if the AB's mindset would have been the same against Wales as it was against France. To my mind the AB's were a bit flat in the final, which is not altogether surprising given the relative performances leading into the game. I guess the other point is, whilst I enjoy watching Wales play, I'm not sure how good they actually are. They only have a 50% winning record under Gatland and have, I think, 1 victory against a SANZAR country. So a chance, yes, but an outside chance.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Shaun Edwards: Wales would have beaten the All blacks Empty Re: Shaun Edwards: Wales would have beaten the All blacks

Post by Turkster Tue 08 Nov 2011, 11:09 pm

could all people who reply to this please keep the abuse and insults to Edwards himself and not Wales, who have nothing to do with this article. Cheers. thumbsup

Turkster

Back to top Go down

Shaun Edwards: Wales would have beaten the All blacks Empty Re: Shaun Edwards: Wales would have beaten the All blacks

Post by Gatts Tue 08 Nov 2011, 11:16 pm

AH ffs read the artcile...yes the strapline is sensational but he isn't saying Wales WOULD have won, he says he missed opportunity of a gold medal and that Wales backs in particular would have MATCHED NZ, for weight f nothing else

I am surprised he has made such a ridiculous assertion when he is looking for a job but then maybe it is designed to get Wales to up their offer!

This is just another characterisation of his words by media speculators. Gatland probably is his media adviser, nuff said.

Bring on the Welsh bashing, its inevitable that the usual suspects will get stuck in

e.g. Hersh, Strokey, Peter Soggy Biscuit etc

Lets be having you!

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by England rugby fan Tue 08 Nov 2011, 11:26 pm

blackcanelion wrote:Apparently Wales would have beaten the AB's if they had made the finals. The idea being Wales had bigger backs and would have exposed NZ out wide.

How delusional. They couldn't beat Australia who lost to NZ.

England rugby fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Tue 08 Nov 2011, 11:30 pm

England rugby fan wrote:
blackcanelion wrote:Apparently Wales would have beaten the AB's if they had made the finals. The idea being Wales had bigger backs and would have exposed NZ out wide.

comme ca how predictable, and you 'Fan', nearly forgot you

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 08 Nov 2011, 11:32 pm

England rugby fan wrote:

But could beat Ireland and Samoa who beat Australia. Anymore skewed logic?

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 Tue 08 Nov 2011, 11:46 pm

its all said in the past- wales could have beaten the all blacks and i think would have had a good chance if the all blacks played like they did in the final.

the AB's may have underestimated wales (unlikely) and wales would have had alot of confidence to take it the AB's with all the pressure off wales.

but its all COULD and IFS so it doesnt matter, we came 4th which isint too shabby and now we look to the future

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by England rugby fan Tue 08 Nov 2011, 11:51 pm

Risca Rev wrote:

I didn't realise Wales had beaten both of those sides in RWC 2011. Any more straws to be clutched at ? ;-)

England rugby fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 09 Nov 2011, 1:15 am

England rugby fan wrote:
Risca Rev wrote:

I didn't realise Wales had beaten both of those sides in RWC 2011. Any more straws to be clutched at ? ;-)

I'm sure that post made sense to you.

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Wed 09 Nov 2011, 1:41 am

Interesting Sanzar teams versus them Wales have beaten Australia 10 times,and drawn once.There win stats versus all comers are nearly identical
51 or so %
South Africa won 1 drawn once,beaten NZ 3 times,of course if the met in the
final.Wales COULD have won it`s a two horse race,BUT depending on a Big
mid field is a slim reed.
All Blacks mid -field is arguably the Worlds best,there Scrum .Lineout and Back Row up there with the best.Even without Dan Carter and the same side as last week.
I doubt you`d get many people backing Them against the All Blacks at home. Wales don`t have the France hoodoo bit in RWCs quite the reverse.
The All Blacks might have met fire with fire Nonu at 13,SBW at 12 with Conrad Smith on the bench.
Wales would be without Priestland injured and Warburton suspended .
They may have won but it would be the biggest upset of all time.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Wed 09 Nov 2011, 2:21 am

I think it's more interesting that Edwards says he wants to be involved with a winning Lions tour - where ever he ends up I think he'll play a major part in Australia in 2013.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Wed 09 Nov 2011, 4:46 am

First thing "former" defence coach? Is that strictly accurate. Second thing, it's a little seed planted for the next time we meet up, nothing more, nothing less. Thirdly, I think that NZ would have blasted us off the park actually.

P.S. Whoever from the WRU told Gatland "come forth" needs to be shot.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Wed 09 Nov 2011, 5:41 am

It has been said that on their day Wales can beet any team. But would they of beaten the All Blacks if they had got to the final?

My answer is maybe, but the odds was stacked against them, how many times have Wales beet the All Blacks in the History of the RWC,Errrrrrrrr None.

So enough said, Wales COULD OF, But they did not get to the final, So we will never know.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Wed 09 Nov 2011, 5:46 am

That's right. You could say the same of Georgia. If only they could have got out of their group etc.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Wed 09 Nov 2011, 5:56 am

I think I'm missing something here, Why is Edwards talking up Wales now,after he has left them? OR is this article the result of one little question in a half interview,which bought in a money answer.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Wed 09 Nov 2011, 6:07 am

He hasn't left. His contract is up. There is a difference.

Tell me, from a NZ perspective, has the WC change peoples view of Gatland?
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 09 Nov 2011, 6:10 am

Turkster wrote:could all people who reply to this please keep the abuse and insults to Edwards himself and not Wales, who have nothing to do with this article. Cheers. Shaun Edwards: Wales would have beaten the All blacks 732107

abit rich considering england bashers come out in every thread- even ones that dont even involve an english player.

anyway - edwards can say what he wants, we can agree, we can disagree- in this case its better to laugh and move on to something that bears some resemblance to reality- i know lets talk about the possibility of time travel Shaun Edwards: Wales would have beaten the All blacks 848982

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Wed 09 Nov 2011, 6:13 am

Back to the future, well 2003 if Fran has his way.

drumroll

Sorry Mys, couldn't resist. It's in the genes see?

Who would you want as coach, Johnson or somebody else? Does selection need to change?
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 09 Nov 2011, 6:25 am

I dont know - Pesonally id stick with johnson- but it looks like mallet is the man.

You welsh lot were calling for gatss head 6 months ago- know he is the best thing since sliced bread- the world is mad on quick solouions.

If england can get a balance right and get some good coaches alongside johson i would be happy with that

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 09 Nov 2011, 6:31 am

back to the topic- its funny that a few on here were bashing JW yesterday and now we have this with edwards on the other side of this constant wales v england forum bashing. The truth is media are allways partly to blame in these cases. Anyway the comments have put a smile on my face.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Wed 09 Nov 2011, 6:34 am

I know. I though some of his squad selections were nuts...the ones that proved inspired.

Doh

I don't follow the Jeff (Flip Sky) but there must be some old fashioned English forwards being overlooked, isn't there?

The problem with Johnson is that he is learning on the job. I don't think he commands the respect of his players. In that situation he has to leave or regain it. 'time to put about a bit of stick' as Francis Urquhart would say.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 09 Nov 2011, 6:37 am

thats the problem- has he got the respect- he certainly did as a player- is he losing it as a coach. If he stays he needs to put his foot down as you say

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Wed 09 Nov 2011, 6:40 am

Yes. Well nice chatting, I'll see you about.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Wed 09 Nov 2011, 7:47 am

Glas adu
No I dont think many New Zealanders would have changed their opinion of Gatty as a reslut of Wales imrovement at the World Cup.
He always showed an inclination to be a coach, He was a school teacher,but even as an All Black he was in the shadow of one S. Fitzpatrick,but he was always respected enough by the AB coaching staff to run parts of teamtraining sessions,mainly because he used to come up with fresh innovative of ideas on drills to improve forward skills.
it was good to see him go back to Waikato about 5 years ago and do that season as NPC coach, He also has shown with Wales, that when the going gets tough, he wont back off or down to noone, and he will defend and protect his players to the death.which is what he was doing last year in the Hartley incident. He also would be good guy to have next to you if you went to war.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 09 Nov 2011, 7:57 am

Edwards is right. IF Wales had got to the final they COULD have beaten NZ.

Past results would suggest it was unlikely however. A far more likely scenario would be Wales played well and lost.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by England rugby fan Wed 09 Nov 2011, 8:04 am

Risca Rev wrote:
England rugby fan wrote:
Risca Rev wrote:

It makes perfect sense.

England rugby fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 09 Nov 2011, 8:29 am

If Wales had gone out in the semis to the All Blacks he'd no doubt be saying they wouldve beaten the French. They certainly should have done, but didnt.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 09 Nov 2011, 8:45 am

If Wales had reached the final then i believe that they stood possibly their best chance of beating the AB's. I doubt that they would have though but they certainly had a very good chance. They were one of the stand out sides in the RWC if not the most standout side in comparison to expectations.

They had this Irishman cheering them on because of their performances though.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Wed 09 Nov 2011, 9:14 am

aucklandlaurie wrote: Glas adu
No I dont think many New Zealanders would have changed their opinion of Gatty as a reslut of Wales imrovement at the World Cup.
He always showed an inclination to be a coach, He was a school teacher,but even as an All Black he was in the shadow of one S. Fitzpatrick,but he was always respected enough by the AB coaching staff to run parts of teamtraining sessions,mainly because he used to come up with fresh innovative of ideas on drills to improve forward skills.
it was good to see him go back to Waikato about 5 years ago and do that season as NPC coach, He also has shown with Wales, that when the going gets tough, he wont back off or down to noone, and he will defend and protect his players to the death.which is what he was doing last year in the Hartley incident. He also would be good guy to have next to you if you went to war.

I take it you'd be happy with him as AB forwards coach then?
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Wed 09 Nov 2011, 9:16 am

LondonTiger wrote:Edwards is right. IF Wales had got to the final they COULD have beaten NZ.

Past results would suggest it was unlikely however. A far more likely scenario would be Wales played well and lost.
clap
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 09 Nov 2011, 9:31 am

England rugby fan wrote:
Risca Rev wrote:
England rugby fan wrote:
Risca Rev wrote:

It makes perfect sense.

You didn't realise that Wales had beaten both those sides in RWC 2011?

I love how there's a discussion worth having over a moot point.

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 09 Nov 2011, 9:32 am

eirebilly wrote:If Wales had reached the final then i believe that they stood possibly their best chance of beating the AB's. I doubt that they would have though but they certainly had a very good chance. They were one of the stand out sides in the RWC if not the most standout side in comparison to expectations.

They had this Irishman cheering them on because of their performances though.

True but France had a very good chance too, and blew it by playing appalingly.

Wales had a very good chance of beating France, just like England, neither of the did.

Its one thing having a chance, its another taking it. It just strikes as a bit of a pointless interview really.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 09 Nov 2011, 9:44 am

They almost certainly wouldn't have won.

However, what's he going to say? "Oh, I'm glad we didn't get to the final because we would have got destroyed by NZ like we normally do"

That might have been the truth but it wouldn't have helped anyone.

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 09 Nov 2011, 9:54 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:They almost certainly wouldn't have won.

Why? Wales were playing some of the best rugby at the RWC. I think that it may well have been a very tight match. France pushed them very close. I believe that they did this because the AB's were more nervous about loosing than actually winning and Wales had been alot more clinical in their finishing than France had been.

Personally i feel that the AB's would have won but i dont think that it would have been a given by any stretch of the imagination.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 09 Nov 2011, 9:56 am

eirebilly wrote:

Personally i feel that the AB's would have won but i dont think that it would have been a given by any stretch of the imagination.
I didn't say it was a 'given', I said it was an 'almost given' Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 09 Nov 2011, 9:57 am

Fair enough Very Happy
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Wed 09 Nov 2011, 10:46 am

Diawl, they make a story out of nothing and then we make a thread out of less! Da iawn ni!
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Turkster Wed 09 Nov 2011, 10:51 am

mystiroakey wrote:
Turkster wrote:could all people who reply to this please keep the abuse and insults to Edwards himself and not Wales, who have nothing to do with this article. Cheers. Shaun Edwards: Wales would have beaten the All blacks 732107

abit rich considering england bashers come out in every thread- even ones that dont even involve an english player.

Cry there there pal, don't cry.

Turkster

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 09 Nov 2011, 10:52 am

majesticimperialman wrote:It has been said that on their day Wales can beet any team. But would they of beaten the All Blacks if they had got to the final?

My answer is maybe

Wow, thanks for that.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Wed 09 Nov 2011, 12:22 pm

I reckon the All Blacks and Wales play a similar game, but that the All Blacks are rather better at it. Wales would have given us a hell of a game and may well have 'matched' NZ in several areas, but matching and beating are two different things.

NZ would have gone into a final against Wales with more confidence, as despite their WC hoodoo Wales have one or two of their own. I'd say she'd have been a beauty but NZ would've taken the spoils. Remember Wales didn't have Warburton either and NZ managed to get the glory without DC.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Wed 09 Nov 2011, 12:49 pm

Had Wales got to the final with Adam Jones, Rhys Priestland and Warburton all available then I think they would have certainly been a match for New Zealand and may have lost by a point but had they got to the final and had the players available that they finished the semi with then they'd have lost convincingly
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 09 Nov 2011, 2:02 pm

Turkster wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:

Cry there there pal, don't cry.

lol mr ironic

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed 09 Nov 2011, 8:39 pm

mystiroakey wrote:
You welsh lot were calling for gatss head 6 months ago- know he is the best thing since sliced bread- the world is mad on quick solouions.

Calling for his head and now he is the best thing since sliced bread? Headscratch

Johnson has had a lot more stick from England fans during his reign and rightly so given his inexperience and some early results. He should have never been put in the position but didn't do too badly. Now it's at the point that whether you fire or re-hire him it wouldn't make much difference.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 09 Nov 2011, 9:15 pm

well england need a difference- hopefully johnson will stay on and grow into a very good coach, or get some one else in who can. england/we are not the sort of team to be happy with being average.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 09 Nov 2011, 10:27 pm

An on form England Ireland and Wales would have beaten the AllBlacks in that final they were in full choke mode from the 15th minute and South Africa would have man shamed them with that ruthless streak they have.

But who cares its over now and there is no way to prove it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Wed 09 Nov 2011, 10:45 pm

Really i can't stand this sort of speculation with hindsight

Its like saying England would have beaten France if they didn't have to be back in the UK for biography season!

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by England rugby fan Wed 09 Nov 2011, 11:37 pm

Gatts wrote:Really i can't stand this sort of speculation with hindsight

Quite. Wales didn't make it to the final, so they had no chance of beating NZ.

Gatts wrote:Its like saying England would have beaten France if they didn't have to be back in the UK for biography season!

Why mention England when the thread is about Wales ?

England rugby fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Turkster Wed 09 Nov 2011, 11:44 pm

Could it be because all the trolls on this thread are English? And the thread isn't about Wales, it's about Shaun Edwards' comments.

Turkster

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Wed 09 Nov 2011, 11:52 pm

Gatts would probably make a good forwards coach but no way would I want him for head coach. At least not yet. He is a bit of a nearly coach. His teams nearly win everything. Henry at least took Auckland and the Blues to championships.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by England rugby fan Wed 09 Nov 2011, 11:53 pm

And there are no Welsh trolls posting comments about Johnson ? Part of the thread title is "Wales would have beaten NZ", that means it's about Wales, NOT England.

England rugby fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next