The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Joe Paterno - It Shouldn't Have Ended This Way.

+7
Dorothy_Mantooth
El Capitan
Grizzly
Derbyblue
The Mangler US_UK
crazy_dave23
WhiteCamry
11 posters

Go down

Joe Paterno - It Shouldn't Have Ended This Way. Empty Joe Paterno - It Shouldn't Have Ended This Way.

Post by WhiteCamry Wed 09 Nov 2011, 6:49 pm

Long-time Nittany Lions Head Coach Joe Paterno has been caught up in a very ugly scandal involving Jerry Sandusky, his ex-defense coach.

Also, Paterno has announced his retirement at the end of this season.

WhiteCamry

Back to top Go down

Joe Paterno - It Shouldn't Have Ended This Way. Empty Re: Joe Paterno - It Shouldn't Have Ended This Way.

Post by crazy_dave23 Wed 09 Nov 2011, 7:34 pm

I've not read the above link, but I've read a fair bit on ESPN over the past two day. Very Ugly scandal indeed.

College football cant help but pick these scandals up atm, but this is the clear worst of the bunch.

I'm not really sure what to say on it really. If someone or multiple people in the organisation knew about this via the witnessing then there is something plain wrong with them not to have reported it to the correct authorities.

I was shocked at how long Joe Paterno had been in charge when I first got involved in CFB (Since 1966 for those that don't know... yes the year England won the World Cup!) and he is clearly an icon of the game and that University, but this is a seemingly shameful end and tarnishes his legacy no end.

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Joe Paterno - It Shouldn't Have Ended This Way. Empty Re: Joe Paterno - It Shouldn't Have Ended This Way.

Post by The Mangler US_UK Wed 09 Nov 2011, 8:00 pm

Joe was king in Happy Valley. If Joe took something seriously, those around him mirrored him. If he brushed it off, same deal. Sadly, in this case, Joe didn't do enough when Sandusky was spotted doing something in a university shower with a boy. Jerry Sandusky was Joe's heir apparent and at the height of his career when he disappeared. And now we know why.

I always liked Joe Pa, but now his legacy is beyond tarnished.

The Mangler US_UK

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Wed 09 Nov 2011, 11:19 pm

It's a very bad scandal and doesn't reflect well on Penn State University as a whole organisation, could have the potential to affect their ability to attract students. Although it's obviously good that such things are being found about however long after the original event, there is a slight shame that a guy who has been at Penn State from assistant coach in 1950 to head coach in 1966 and is now having to resign at the end of the season in part due to this scandal, with the American press from what I can work out effectively calling for his head.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Thu 10 Nov 2011, 9:26 am

Back Nebraska this Sat would be my advice.....

Seriously, college football has had plenty of rough press in the last year or two, when a legacy like this ends and especially in such circumstances it's always sad, but as a parent I have to say that you entrust schools with the safety and wellbeing of your children and the very least you expect is your child to be protected from danger from those in charge.
As for Paterno, my guess is that the love he had for the college and having committed a lifetime of effort towards the programme, he couldn't bare to see anything threaten the colleges name so chose to keep things 'in-house'.
How he went to work every day with Sardusky afterwards though is another question....

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by El Capitan Thu 10 Nov 2011, 12:13 pm

I read the grand jury evidence thingy. Very dark stuff in there.

What Sandusky did was unforgivable, but what Penn State Did as well just beggars belief.

Not surprising that many of the nfl analysts on twitter (especially those with kids, and those normally impartial) are going mental about this.

El Capitan

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Thu 10 Nov 2011, 1:20 pm

He has been sacked, along with the School President.

I have no sympathy for him at all and there can be no credible excuses from anyone who is alleged to have been involved in the cover up of such an alleged crime. Especially when it appears that the cover up may have allowed other children to fall victim.

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Thu 10 Nov 2011, 5:23 pm

Just got worse: Jerry Sandusky 'Pimped Out Young Boys To Rich Donors'

http://www.businessinsider.com/jerry-sandusky-donors-2011-11

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Thu 10 Nov 2011, 6:52 pm

Sandusky is being charged with:
•Seven counts of involuntary deviate sexual intercourse, all first-degree felonies which are each punishable by up to 20 years in prison and a $25,000 fine.
•One count of aggravated indecent assault, a second-degree felony punishable by up to ten years in prison and a $25,000 fine.
•Four counts of unlawful contact with a minor, all first-degree felonies which are each punishable by up to 20 years in prison and a $25,000 fine.
•Four counts of unlawful contact with a minor, all third-degree felonies which are each punishable by up to seven years in prison and a $15,000 fine.
•Four counts of endangering the welfare of a child, all third-degree felonies which are each punishable by up to seven years in prison and a $15,000 fine.
•Four counts of endangering the welfare of a child, all first-degree misdemeanors which are each punishable by up to five years in prison and a $10,000 fine.
•Eight counts of corruption of minors, all first-degree misdemeanors which are each punishable by up to five years in prison and a $10,000 fine.
•One count of indecent assault, a third-degree felony punishable by up to seven years in prison and a $15,000 fine.
•Four counts of indecent assault, all second-degree misdemeanors which are each punishable by up to two years in prison and a $5,000 fine.
•Two counts of indecent assault, all first-degree misdemeanors which are each punishable by up to five years in prison and a $10,000 fine.
•One count of attempt to commit indecent assault, a second-degree misdemeanor punishable by up to two years in prison and a $5,000 fine.
http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/press.aspx?id=6270

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 11 Nov 2011, 2:22 pm

Anyone else think that them losing their jobs is them getting off light?

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Fri 11 Nov 2011, 7:55 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Anyone else think that them losing their jobs is them getting off light?

I imagine losing there jobs won't be the end of it

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by asdral225 Fri 11 Nov 2011, 8:03 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Anyone else think that them losing their jobs is them getting off light?

Without a doubt
asdral225
asdral225

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Sat 12 Nov 2011, 5:08 pm

I thought ESPN showing todays Penn St v Nebraska game would be a media circus but there were some seriously moving scenes just now, not sure playing football is right for either team given the circumstances though....

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Sat 12 Nov 2011, 7:04 pm

Moving scenes indeed. I'm glad the two teams got together and did something like that.

I think the US Sports seem to do a really good job of these "memorial" type things on the field. Maybe its because the teams are a lot bigger and so is has more of a visual effect, but for example all the 9/11 memorials were pretty moving as was today's mass prayer for the victims in the centre field.

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 13 Nov 2011, 12:18 am

Penn State is going to get annihilated by law suits and resultant tens of millions lost in damages.
I'm old but any time you have an institution for young people with a leader in his 70's (as Paterno was when boys started being more than boys) you're inviting trouble. It happened in its own way with Bowden, and in a very different way with Murdoch.
When will people learn?
PSU has only itself to blame.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteCamry Thu 17 Nov 2011, 8:23 pm

As of yet no one's calling for Paterno's head; much of the U.S. media's opprobium is currently aimed at Mike McQueary for doing considerably less than he paints himself as having done.

But here's a real pip: sportscaster Bob Costas interviewed Jerry Sandusky and his lawyer:

Spoiler:

Jon Stewart pretty much sums it up
- it's Martin Bashir meets Michael Jackson all over again.

Last edited by Derbyblue on Thu 17 Nov 2011, 11:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Putting youtube video in spoiler)

WhiteCamry

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Thu 17 Nov 2011, 8:38 pm

That interview has to be fake right ?
Has anyone run voice recognition ?
I can't believe that anyone is stupid enough to do an interview before a criminal trial and certainly not stupid enough to admit to 'horsing around' in the showers with 10 year old boys within 60 seconds of the interview starting.
It's just mind-blowing - now Bin Laden is history this sicko would come close to being the most hated man in the world by Americans....

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteCamry Fri 18 Nov 2011, 4:48 pm

Grizzly wrote:That interview has to be fake right ?
Has anyone run voice recognition ?
I can't believe that anyone is stupid enough to do an interview before a criminal trial and certainly not stupid enough to admit to 'horsing around' in the showers with 10 year old boys within 60 seconds of the interview starting.
It's just mind-blowing - now Bin Laden is history this sicko would come close to being the most hated man in the world by Americans....

As Michael Jackson showed us all, some people just can't own up to their monstrosity; indeed, they go out of their way to deny it rather than just shut up. How many bullies have said "it was just good fun"?

WhiteCamry

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteCamry Mon 23 Jan 2012, 8:02 pm

Whatever else can be said about how he mishandled the the Sandusky scandal, rest in peace.

WhiteCamry

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Mon 23 Jan 2012, 10:36 pm

Great coach, just a shame about how he handled his biggest decision. His accomplishments in college football are going to stand for a long long time. RIP Joe Paterno

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down