The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - During and Post Race Forum

+8
Fernando
dyrewolfe
wow
Critical_mass
monty junior
Mad for Chelsea
erictheblueuk
The Special Juan
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - During and Post Race Forum Empty Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - During and Post Race Forum

Post by The Special Juan Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:23 pm

This is a topic to discuss events during and after the 2011 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

Can I just say I'm loving Eddie's shirt today?
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - During and Post Race Forum Empty Re: Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - During and Post Race Forum

Post by erictheblueuk Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:07 pm

It's about time that kid had some bad luck !

Last edited by erictheblueuk on Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
erictheblueuk
erictheblueuk

Back to top Go down

Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - During and Post Race Forum Empty Re: Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - During and Post Race Forum

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:08 pm

well that was a fun first lap! Hamilton streaking away after Vettel punctures. The world champion is out! Alonso with two great moves, and he's up to second, brilliant!

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:13 pm

Haven't laughed like that during a grand prix since Canada when he went wide on the last corner. See you next week, Seb!
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:20 pm

Hamilton and Alonso the two fastest out there at the moment, Button just about holding his own down in third, Webber disapointingly (again) dropping off the back of Button.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:36 pm

shocking pitstop for webber, he's now stuck behind Massa

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:43 pm

What happened? I wasn't paying attention.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:47 pm

problem with the right rear tyre, took them forever to change it. He's closing in on Massa now though, could be an interesting battle for third. Hamilton in a spot of traffic, gives Alonso a chance to close.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:51 pm

Come on Jenno! Would love to see a McLaren 1/2 but I won't get my hopes up. He's got company now though...
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:53 pm

don't think Jenson will catch Alonso, he's struggling with his Kers unfortunately. Looks like a tasty battle for third.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:57 pm

I heard them mention that. Button will do well to stay ahead of both of them. Maybe Alonso will falter... That's too hopeful though. Been a pretty dull race so far excepty for the first lap. Maybe Massa will shunt Webber now...
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:01 pm

Hamilton puts the foot down and starts to pull away from Alonso. Webber and Massa scrapping for fourth. Kers back for Button and he's pulled away from them now, can he catch Alonso?

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:03 pm

YES! I certainly hope so. I can't hear anything at the moment but I've got picture and the driver tracker. M'on Jenno!
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:10 pm

Maldonado being a right idiot. He's already had one drive-through for ignoring the blue flags, and he's at it again there, holding up Webber and Massa. Idiot! And now Senna refuses to yield to Hamilton, what's up with these back-markers today?

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:12 pm

They must not be fighting for anything and don't give a damn. Looking good for Ham-Alo-But. I can't see it changing barring some unfortunate accident.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:18 pm

Getting oddly tight at the front. Alonso may well jump Hamilton at this pit stop. nervous times. 13 laps to go...
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:21 pm

not a great stop for Alonso there, and surely that's that.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:23 pm

Well it's looking like Ham-Alo-But. Then what? Mas-Web-Ros?
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:24 pm

yeah looks about right to me, unless something extraordinary happens

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:27 pm

The biggest battle is between Massa and Webber for 4th. I reckon there could be a squabble for 4th on the last few laps. Webber could well end up 40+ seconds behind Hamilton. This was his big chance to win and he failed miserably.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:27 pm

having said that, looks like Webber is in with half a shout of jumping Massa

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:30 pm

Massa spins! Webber will come out right beside him when he pits, if not in front. Oh dear Felipe... It never rains but it pours.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:32 pm

Massa with the error, and Webber will pass him for fourth.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:36 pm

When it showed that HRT parked by the side of the road, I had a massive fright. They look like McLaren's at a quick glance. Ricciardo out. Webber will finish ahead of Massa.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:39 pm

Impressive drive, and indeed, week-end, from Hamilton. Excellent race from Alonso too, with two crucial moves in the opening lap, but never really challenged Lewis. Button did very well to hold onto third after losing his KERs for the first half of the race. Webber disapointing mostly, despite coming to life in the last ten laps or so.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:40 pm

Force India look to be picking up 5 points here. Very interesting battle against Renault and Toro Rosso.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:41 pm

HAMILTON WINS! ALONSO SECOND! BUTTON THIRD!
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:42 pm

Excellent! My favourite three drivers on the podium!

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:44 pm

I'm not big on Alonso. I can't stand him but I can't deny the fact he's an immense talent. I'm not getting carried away though. Surely Vettel would have driven into the sunset. He already had a one second lead before he crashed out. It feels good to say that, so I'll say it again. Vettel crashed out!! (kind of)
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:51 pm

Vettel had a second lead because he was over-aggressive into the first corner, and that's what caused his puncture. I think Lewis could have beaten him today, he didn't seem to be really tested by Alonso, just doing enough to stay ahead.

Didn't used to be big on Alonso, bu he's really grown on me in the ast two or three years, and there's no denying his racing talent. I'd love to see him and Hamilton in championship winning cars (or at least competitive) next year.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:55 pm

Vettel will be found out, eventually. He's fast, but I doubt think he has the racing instinct that Alonso and Hamilton have.

Hamilton may have beaten him today but we'll never know. That Vettel incident gets funnier every time, especailly when you see it from Lewis' car.

When you think about it, it was a Vettel-esque win by Lewis. He took out a lead near the start and did enough to take the car home in first place. Roll on Brazil where it will be normal service resumed, probably.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:06 pm

Jeez, who is that godess behind Di Resta clap

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:29 pm

Lewis back on form. ALonso was doing well too... good to see them too exchanging lap times again Very Happy

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:35 am

Congrats to Hammy and to all his fans Bubbly

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:37 am

Mad for Chelsea wrote:Vettel had a second lead because he was over-aggressive into the first corner, and that's what caused his puncture. I think Lewis could have beaten him today, he didn't seem to be really tested by Alonso, just doing enough to stay ahead.

Didn't used to be big on Alonso, bu he's really grown on me in the ast two or three years, and there's no denying his racing talent. I'd love to see him and Hamilton in championship winning cars (or at least competitive) next year.

All Hammy fans warming up on Alonso and vice versa. I havent see too many Alonso fans here so far but I am pleased with Hammy's reversal of fortunes and he is not a bad driver after all clap

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:31 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:Vettel had a second lead because he was over-aggressive into the first corner, and that's what caused his puncture. I think Lewis could have beaten him today, he didn't seem to be really tested by Alonso, just doing enough to stay ahead.

I doubt Hamilton could've beaten Vettel. If he'd chased Seb, he'd have ended up trashing his tyres and losing ground.

Being in the lead meant he could look after his tyres and do exactly what you said...do just enough to keep Alonso far away enough that he couldn't use his DRS. Great race from Lewis anyway. Led from start to finish (minus a couple of corners of the first lap), didn;t get into any trouble and paced himself perfectly.

Also a great drive from Alonso, to get the jump on both Webber and Button and come within a couple of seconds of taking the lead at the pit stops.

Not a great race for Webber, but he at least made a spirited attempt at getting past Button. On that subject, congrats to Button for fighting him off, despite being without KERS for most of the race. Good result for him, considering.

Another solid performance from Mercedes, cementing their place as the 4th best team and also nice to see both Force Indias finishing in the points too.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:41 pm

dyrewolfe wrote:I doubt Hamilton could've beaten Vettel. If he'd chased Seb, he'd have ended up trashing his tyres and losing ground.

I know we dont usually agree dyrewolf but that's bang on. This win doesnt alter the current situation in F1 with regards to Vettel and the specific situation Hamilton found himself in with alonso on his tail.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:54 pm

dyrewolfe wrote: On that subject, congrats to Button for fighting him off, despite being without KERS for most of the race.

I always think Jenson's defensive abilities are under-rated. He's not the best at attacking the car in front, but defensively he's usually pretty sound.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:57 pm

the moves by webber were appaling though. also the back to back DRS and better straight line speed of the mclaren played into the hands of Button to a treat. he did well though, even with KERS he was no match for alonso or hamilton's aggressive nature which suited this circuit especially sector 3

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:55 pm

It wasn't an exciting race but seeing as Ham was in front I didn't care a jot Smile As I have said, I would have loved a McLaren 1/2, especially given the Seb circumstances, but it wasn't going to happen thanks to FAlonso. Maybe this is a sign that Seb's luck is changing.

The only thing annoying about today was the fact that Seb, to an extent, got away with it. I wish he could have carried on so he would have be found out. He can't overtake and was saved the embarrassment of being found out by the damage to his car.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:40 pm

Got away with what? not winning another race?! of course he can overtake and has made important passes multiple time this season, problem is he doesn't have the high top line speeds of the especially the Mclaren and also the Ferrari making it tougher to overtake. Seems pretty pointless to have a dig of the undisputed star of F1 2011 over that freak incident.

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:09 pm

I understand what TSC is going on about in regards to saying Vettel got away with it. It would of been nice to see Vettel coming through the field and experiencing what his rivals have to put up with during a race in traffic and fighting for position. Also it would of been interesting to have witnessed the effect upon his tyre longevity when in attack mode, instead of his usual 'out in front, smooth, bring it home approach' he has shown us for 90% of his wins.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:56 pm

I wasn't very clear, sorry. Of course he can overtake as long as he has a much faster car than anyone. I doubt he has that fighting spirit of Alonso and Hamilton and would find it hard to fight through a field of drivers with a slower car (or tougher opposition).
I have nothing personal against Vettel, I congratulate him for doing what he did to win the title, but I don't think he's a top racer. I'd like to be proved wrong though, but until the other teams get a grip then we'll just keep watching him drive away from pole.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:10 pm

actually Hamilton produced a very Vettel-like performance on Sunday. He was clearly quicker than the rest of the field, so simply managed the gap to Alonso (who was comfortably next quickest) and almost coasted home I thought. Having re-watched some of the race, the over-taking looked very artificial to me, with lots of passing-repassing efforts in the two DRS zones. One wonders if Webber wouldn't have been better waiting for the second DRS zone to pass Button, and then use his car's superior handling around the corners to get clear of DRS range before Button had the chance to strike back. Thoughts on this?

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:11 pm

Anyone know what was hanging off underneath Webber's car yesterday?

Brundle and DC kept mentioning it

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:22 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:Having re-watched some of the race, the over-taking looked very artificial to me, with lots of passing-repassing efforts in the two DRS zones. One wonders if Webber wouldn't have been better waiting for the second DRS zone to pass Button, and then use his car's superior handling around the corners to get clear of DRS range before Button had the chance to strike back. Thoughts on this?

My thoughts exactly. I've wondered this exact point, I mean how stupid and dumb are these teams and in particular drivers. It was evident in Korea aswell where the DRS was so artificial and stupid it was unbelievable. Having back to back DRS zones is quite frankly embarrasing as whoever passes on the first DRS zone is comfortably re-passed on the second. How Webber didnt understand this or other drivers in the past is beyond me? The introduction of DRS has made overtaking a previously exciting, skilled manoeuvre into a laughable, non-contested and inevitable overtake. The only advantage is that it has allowed faster cars such as the mclaren, red bull or mercedes get back into a position after poor starts or bad qualifying which is rare. It's introduction has pleased the casual fan not the true f1 fan but i guess some of you disagree.

Back to top Go down

Post by sportykeppy-1 Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:37 pm

Great to see Hamilton and Button making the podium yesterday. Also a very good drive by Alonso. I kind of feel it for Webber's misfortunes though.

sportykeppy-1

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:54 pm

fernando wrote:Anyone know what was hanging off underneath Webber's car yesterday?

Brundle and DC kept mentioning it

They were saying it was likely to be some carbon. It could only have been carbon, but i didnt realise cured carbon fibre would flap?

Coulthard kept referring to it as a plastic bag Rolling Eyes

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:38 pm

Agree on the point about the back-to-back DRS zones. Very poorly thought out IMO as it negates the entire reason for their introduction.

Although we only saw a couple of drivers swapping places (and back again) through them, I wonder how many more we missed, further down the grid?
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:41 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:actually Hamilton produced a very Vettel-like performance on Sunday. He was clearly quicker than the rest of the field, so simply managed the gap to Alonso (who was comfortably next quickest) and almost coasted home I thought. Having re-watched some of the race, the over-taking looked very artificial to me, with lots of passing-repassing efforts in the two DRS zones. One wonders if Webber wouldn't have been better waiting for the second DRS zone to pass Button, and then use his car's superior handling around the corners to get clear of DRS range before Button had the chance to strike back. Thoughts on this?

Very much what I was thinking, regarding Hamilton. Good point about Webber too.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next