The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jemma Simpson ends appeal over UK Athletics funding cut

Go down

Jemma Simpson ends appeal over UK Athletics funding cut Empty Jemma Simpson ends appeal over UK Athletics funding cut

Post by Adam D Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:02 am

Cornish 800m runner Jemma Simpson has decided to end her appeal against her cut in lottery funding.

Simpson was told she could appeal against UK Athletics' decision to axe her from their funding programme.

An initial appeal by the Newquay and Par runner was rejected last month by a panel from UK Athletics.

The 27-year-old said: "I have decided not to take it to an independent panel as it will impinge too much on my preparation for the Olympics."
Simpson had her funding cut last month as UK Athletics decided to back Marilyn Okoro, Jenny Meadows and Emma Jackson.

"Charles Van Commenee says this decision will not affect my selection for any future GB and NI or Team GB," she said in an email to BBC Radio Cornwall.

"I am obviously gutted. Having seen the minutes from the meeting, I am still of the opinion that my case wasn't looked into with much depth or thorough analysis from experts in endurance running."

The basis of Simpson's appeal was that she had worked hard in increasing her endurance training and had returned to top form following an injury-hit 2011 season.

She ran an Olympic 'A' standard qualifying time of one minute 59.5 seconds towards the end of this season.
"Things could go beautifully well or drastically wrong," Simpson added. "It's the fine line we are balancing in this sport. I can only control the controllables and not people's opinions.

"I will continue to train hard and be the best that I can be with or without support from my national governing body.

Simpson, who has made the European Championship final and two World Championships semi-finals, says she has drawn solace from a similar fate which befell Nottingham hurdler Andy Turner.

Turner had his UKA funding cut in 2009 but has since gone on to win medals at major games.

"Andy was removed from the UKA funding programme after failing to make the Olympic final in 2008, only to come back and win a Commonwealth medal, a European medal and, this year, a world medal in the 110m hurdles," Simpson said.

link - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/athletics/15734081.stm

So what are your thoughts on this?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down