The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Abu Dhabi HSBC Championship

+13
Doc
JAS
Tiler76
kwinigolfer
drive4show
BlueCoverman
SmithersJones
MustPuttBetter
navyblueshorts
LadyPutt
super_realist
raycastleunited
theeldestboy
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Abu Dhabi HSBC Championship - Page 2 Empty Abu Dhabi HSBC Championship

Post by theeldestboy Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:54 am

First topic message reminder :

From Associated Press and Detroit News

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates — Tiger Woods won't be starting his 2012 season at Torrey Pines. Instead of his traditional PGA Tour start in San Diego, Woods has agreed to play in a tournament in Abu Dhabi.

The former top-ranked golfer will play in the Jan. 26-29 Abu Dhabi HSBC Championship along with current No. 1 Luke Donald and defending champion Martin Kaymer, Abu Dhabi organizers said Wednesday.

The move is somewhat surprising for Woods, taking appearance money for the European Tour event instead of playing what he considers one of his favorite PGA Tour courses. He's won seven times at Torrey Pines as a pro, including his 14th and last major at the 2008 U.S. Open.

Woods has been starting his season at Torrey Pines, when healthy, since 2006. He missed the 2009 and 2010 tournaments because of injuries. His five-tournament winning streak at Torrey Pines ended Jan. 30 when he shot a 75 and tied for 44th. He had never finished outside the top 10 at Torrey Pines, and it was his worst start to his golf season since he turned pro.

In the statement on Woods' website announcing his participation Wednesday, he said he's interested in visiting new places.

"I'm looking forward to 2012 and what I hope will be a great year of golf for me," Woods said. "I've always enjoyed playing in HSBC events around the world, so I have been interested in including the Abu Dhabi HSBC Golf Championship in my schedule for some time."

Adding Woods is a coup for Abu Dhabi in its rivalry with the Dubai Desert Classic, where Woods has been a mainstay for years. Tournament manager Faisal al-Sheikh boasted that the "giants of golf" are coming to Abu Dhabi.

In last February's Desert Classic, Woods tied for 20th

I went to last year’s AD Championship. It’s a fantastic tournament on a beautiful course, and 2nd home to Martin Kaymer. He romped to victory in 2011, his 3rd win in the tournament. 2011 also saw Phil Mickelson make the journey to the Middle East. It was great to watch him in action, a real priviledge. As all 4 major trophy winners were present, I was lucky enough to have my photo taken with the trophys. I’m sure forum rules state that we can’t post pictures but this one’s great, so I’m going to. Blimey, I hear you cry, isn’t theeldestboy young?

Abu Dhabi HSBC Championship - Page 2 166805_491410195865_721805865_6629595_3694880_n

Other confirmed entrants this year are Jason Day and KJ Choi, and Keegan Bradley is also rumoured to be in the field.

Can’t wait, it’s going to be a cracker!
theeldestboy
theeldestboy

Back to top Go down

Abu Dhabi HSBC Championship - Page 2 Empty Re: Abu Dhabi HSBC Championship

Post by McLaren Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:01 pm

I have a manchester united shirt with "Tiger" and "00" on the back....
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:05 pm

I actually wouldn't be surprised.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:43 pm

super_realist wrote:I imagine Keizo sits in his parent's front room with black trousers and a red shirt on for the final round of tournaments when watching on TV. Laugh

And fist pumps every time The Great One holes a putt Laugh

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:52 pm

drive4show wrote:
super_realist wrote:I imagine Keizo sits in his parent's front room with black trousers and a red shirt on for the final round of tournaments when watching on TV. Laugh

And fist pumps every time The Great One holes a putt Laugh

No idea what he might be doing with the other hand Laugh

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2