The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Amir Khan: Yesterday he was misquoted, today he's telling the truth!

+9
Fists of Fury
JDandfries
Daz
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
Scottrf
All Time Great
Valero's Conscience
Gentleman01
BALTIMORA
13 posters

Go down

Amir Khan: Yesterday he was misquoted, today he's telling the truth! Empty Amir Khan: Yesterday he was misquoted, today he's telling the truth!

Post by BALTIMORA Thu 17 Nov 2011, 1:38 pm

Seems that Khan's now refuting a claim made in an article at boxingscene.com:
WBA/IBF junior welterweight champion Amir Khan is disputing the comments that were recently published in The Daily Telegraph, which quoted the British boxer as stating that he planned to advise stablemate Manny Pacquiao to retire after watching the Filipino superstar struggle in his recent fight with Juan Manuel Marquez. Khan, who wanted to clear the air on the story,told BoxingScene.com - "I don't remember saying that." Both Khan and Pacquiao are trained by Freddie Roach at the Wild Card Gym in Los Angeles, California.

"I don't remember saying that. Manny has a lot more fights left in him. He didn't take much punishment or get hurt in the fight. He took a lot of shots but that's boxing for you. If you're going to go in the shower, you're going to get wet, and in boxing you're going to get hit. Manny has a lot more fights left in him. I'm always there as a fan and I'm a big fan of Manny Pacquiao. That last fight, we expect too much of Manny Pacquiao. It was a good fight. It was a strong fight. And the best man still won the fight," Khan told BoxingScene.com.

What does anyone make of this? Is it a tactical retraction made on the advice of Roach and/or Pacquiao, or could it be that Khan has genuinely been misquoted this time? For me personally it seems like another example of Khan opening his mouth at the wrong time. It's incidents like this which chip away at my support for the guy, as I'm sure it does for many other people.

Can't help but feel he needs to sack whoever his PR guy is.

Original article: http://www.boxingscene.com/khan-clears-air-on-pacquiao-retirement-comments--46105

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Amir Khan: Yesterday he was misquoted, today he's telling the truth! Empty Re: Amir Khan: Yesterday he was misquoted, today he's telling the truth!

Post by Gentleman01 Thu 17 Nov 2011, 4:31 pm

alma wrote:Think he's been advised to say that, either that or it's an unbelievable volte face. His comments during the fight were surely spontaneous (ie that Pacquiao lost)

I agree. I think he was being truthful at the time he made the comment about having marquez winning, and I applaud him for that. It was inevitable he'd retract those comments though. It is also entirely understandable. Pac is #1 at The Wildcard, he was most likely asked to fall in line and I don't hold it against him that he complied. The last thing Khan needs is to cause friction and inquietude in what is essentially his own camp.

Gentleman01

Back to top Go down

Amir Khan: Yesterday he was misquoted, today he's telling the truth! Empty Re: Amir Khan: Yesterday he was misquoted, today he's telling the truth!

Post by Valero's Conscience Thu 17 Nov 2011, 4:54 pm

It's just Khan being Khan.

One of the biggest things which annoys me with him is him stating something and then quickly back tracking.

If any of you watched the Pac/JMM fight he definitely thought JMM won.......wait a day or two and what do you know, he's changed his mind. He roughly put on twitter "watched the fight again and Pac won the fight by 1 or 2 rounds"!!!! WTF!

The guy has no guts to him, he consistently says things and when there is a bit of attention he backs down like little girl.

Huge talent but what a nob!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Thu 17 Nov 2011, 5:25 pm

Valero's Conscience wrote:It's just Khan being Khan.

One of the biggest things which annoys me with him is him stating something and then quickly back tracking.

If any of you watched the Pac/JMM fight he definitely thought JMM won.......wait a day or two and what do you know, he's changed his mind. He roughly put on twitter "watched the fight again and Pac won the fight by 1 or 2 rounds"!!!! WTF!

The guy has no guts to him, he consistently says things and when there is a bit of attention he backs down like little girl.

Have to agree with this. Whether or not his retractions are due to him being instructed to make them, he demonstrates what can be easily perceived as a lack of integrity. I'd respect him more if he stood by a poorly-considered but honest statement, than I do currently with his spineless approach.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by All Time Great Thu 17 Nov 2011, 6:18 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:

Have to agree with this. Whether or not his retractions are due to him being instructed to make them, he demonstrates what can be easily perceived as a lack of integrity. I'd respect him more if he stood by a poorly-considered but honest statement, than I do currently with his spineless approach.

I still don't follow the huge concern over his statements? He called a fight to JMM during commentary as he had to be a neutral and then felt he had to back his stablemate subsequently.

But tbh, I really don't care too much about what boxers say. I'm concerned about the level of opposition they are facing and if they are able to do their talking in the ring! To be fair to Khan, he's one of few fighters who are actually taking on decent opposition in today's generation.

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 18 Nov 2011, 12:09 pm

Khan is class.

Spoiler:

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Fri 18 Nov 2011, 12:11 pm

I liked that Scott. Nothing more was needed to be said. I don't think Bradley realised the camera was on them though or he would have said something back.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Fri 18 Nov 2011, 12:13 pm

That was priceless Scott. I saw it on ringside yesterday - had to rewind and watch it again I was laughing so much.

Fairplay to him!

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Fri 18 Nov 2011, 12:14 pm

prettyboykev wrote:I liked that Scott. Nothing more was needed to be said. I don't think Bradley realised the camera was on them though or he would have said something back.

I think he knew the camera was there - it was a couple of feet away from Khan. As Khan pointed out - he has no balls! Haha!

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Fri 18 Nov 2011, 12:15 pm

I thought it was funny but I don't blame Bradley for not fighting Khan when the offer was made to him. It made more sense to do what he did.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Fri 18 Nov 2011, 12:25 pm

I don't think Bradley recognised him!

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 18 Nov 2011, 12:27 pm

That is brilliant, I hadn't seen that!

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 18 Nov 2011, 12:34 pm

sorry on my phone so the picture is mega small whats happening?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 18 Nov 2011, 12:35 pm

He basically says to Bradley as Bradley walks past him 'Grow some balls bro!' and it was all on camera.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 18 Nov 2011, 12:39 pm

Khan dwarves him doesn't he.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Fri 18 Nov 2011, 12:56 pm

Easy UD for Khan. Sounds funny though, get a look at home.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Fri 18 Nov 2011, 1:00 pm

See things like this make me like Khan. I wish he'd sort out his PR machine, really I do! Can't help but feel that if left to his own devices he might learn more than if he's told what to say and do by people like Ariza, Roach and Khan Snr.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Fri 18 Nov 2011, 2:29 pm

Scottrf wrote:Khan dwarves him doesn't he.

Big time! Bradley looked tiny!

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Fri 18 Nov 2011, 2:48 pm

Dazstarr wrote:
Scottrf wrote:Khan dwarves him doesn't he.

Big time! Bradley looked tiny!
Bradley's 40% head.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Fri 18 Nov 2011, 2:59 pm

Laugh

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Fri 18 Nov 2011, 3:02 pm

Maybe he did watch it a second time and scored it different?

Pacman is his mate, maybe the first time he watched it he was noticing some mistakes and taking more notice of those than the things he was doing well. If I had a good friend who was boxing in a close fight I'd probably score it more in favour of the other guy as everytime your friend gets hit you'd feel a little of the pain.

I'm still convinced Benn won both Eubank fights and most people disagree with me, especially about the first one.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Fri 18 Nov 2011, 3:31 pm

huw wrote:

Maybe he did watch it a second time and scored it different?

Pacman is his mate, maybe the first time he watched it he was noticing some mistakes and taking more notice of those than the things he was doing well. If I had a good friend who was boxing in a close fight I'd probably score it more in favour of the other guy as everytime your friend gets hit you'd feel a little of the pain.

I'm still convinced Benn won both Eubank fights and most people disagree with me, especially about the first one.

Yep. As the ref jumped in to save a gassed Benn from any further battering I remember thinking "ROBBERY!".
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 18 Nov 2011, 3:34 pm

Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:Yep. As the ref jumped in to save a gassed Benn from any further battering I remember thinking "ROBBERY!".
Laugh

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 18 Nov 2011, 3:36 pm

SBS, I'm sure Huw made that statement with a sense of irony, ie, we can all have distorted views when it comes to our friends/favourites.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 18 Nov 2011, 3:38 pm

emancipator wrote:SBS, I'm sure Huw made that statement with a sense of irony, ie, we can all have distorted views when it comes to our friends/favourites.
Yeah I think he did.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Fri 18 Nov 2011, 3:38 pm

emancipator wrote:SBS, I'm sure Huw made that statement with a sense of irony, ie, we can all have distorted views when it comes to our friends/favourites.

I know he did (or at least I hope he did), just couldn't resist.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down