The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Edinburgh team v Racing Metro 92

+27
Artful_Dodger
salisburyexile34
Knowsit17
flyhalffactory
Smirnoffpriest
ME-109
wales606
Thomond
manofgwent
LondonTiger
maestegmafia
luvtotup
Converter
George Carlin
justified sinner
GLove39
red_stag
Morgannwg
RuggerRadge2611
XR
nickj
Imperialbigdave
RDW
whocares
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
funnyExiledScot
IanBru
31 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Edinburgh team v Racing Metro 92 - Page 2 Empty Edinburgh team v Racing Metro 92

Post by IanBru Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:07 pm

First topic message reminder :

Edinburgh side named for Friday's clash with Racing Metro 92 at Murrayfield:
1 A Jacobsen
2 R Ford
3 G Cross
4 E Lozada
5 G Gilchrist
6 N Talei
7 R Grant
8 S McInally

9 G Laidlaw (c)
10 H Leonard
11 T Visser
12 M Scott
13 N De Luca
14 L Jones
15 J Thompson

Subs: 16. Lawrie, 17. Traynor, 18. Niven, 19. Turnbull, 20. Rennie, 21. Blair, 22. King, 23. Brown

Good to see that the back-line remains largely intact, with the only change being Laidlaw replacing Blair. We definitely played with more attacking panache when Greig came on last week, so I'm fairly happy.

The head-knock to Denton has forced a change in the back row, with Talei coming in at blindside, but the formidable front-row combination stays unchanged.

Last edited by IanBru on Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh team v Racing Metro 92 - Page 2 Empty Re: Edinburgh team v Racing Metro 92

Post by Guest Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:03 pm

I'm not Scottish, but even I can't take that comeback in. What a turnaround.

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh team v Racing Metro 92 - Page 2 Empty Re: Edinburgh team v Racing Metro 92

Post by maestegmafia Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:15 pm

Wow...!

What a score, wish I had seen it... Great result for Scottish rugby..

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:17 pm

Amazing comeback.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:19 pm

At the moment I'm suffering such contrasting emotions.
On the one hand, delighted and over the moon for Edinburgh. On the other hand though completely distraught, but for illness I was due to travel down from Aberdeen this afternoon to see the game.
Can't believe that of all the games I could miss, I miss this one Sad

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:27 pm

Does my accumulator still count? I've got the other 3, but I had Edinburgh to beat metro (+1). I presume that makes it a draw, but have I got a case?

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:32 pm

Utterly epic match. A privilege to be there for that one!
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:32 pm

I think Sky showed the wrong matches!

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:33 pm

Wow

Blues will need to up their game.

Back to back wins against Edinburgh look like they have become harder...:/
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:21 pm

Ive had a long walk home to contemplate what ive just seen tonight. And after an hour of thinking, I still dont know what to say...
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:24 pm

Do the Edinburgh fans think Bradley has made a difference?

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:25 pm

Just had read this thread again to believe it...

I hope the whole game is replayed by the highlights...

Can't believe I missed it

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:26 pm

I cannot believe this game - just looking at the scores was mad enough - I wish I'd seen it!

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:29 pm

You know, I doubt that even this sundays European Rugby special on Sky will show highlights of this game. They will probably show one try at best. The rest of the show will be them nattering away, usually about how great Northampton and Saracens are.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:16 am

What a night............ What a night

You just couldnt keep your eyes off the pitch guys.............. I am sure my missus wriggled all through the game

I was shaking driving home
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:20 am

Great advert for the HEC and a clear indication of what Scottish Rugby is still capable of producing. Round 3 against the Blues could be huge boxing

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:26 am

Congrats fly half. Just got to beat those blues now!! Good luck.

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:48 am

manofgwent wrote:Congrats fly half. Just got to beat those blues now!! Good luck.

It was a crazy match but its got to be right up there .............. in all my years never seen anything like it. 11 tries 95 points and particular in a competitive enviroment

I have my reservations already (should be about 20 of us coming down) for the blues trip, shall look forward to both matches, might send the Aussie squad some crates of Fosters as an incentive (just in case you see............ well we need all the assistance we can get !!!)

Been a good start to the european weekend with the NGDs yesterday
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:58 am

So.......did I miss much last night?????

Holy crap that was stressful - and I was just slyly following it on Twitter while out at a birthday night out!

I honestly can't believe that game - must have been incredible to watch. My dad was there though and says it was a pretty good atmosphere? I've said it before - Murrayfield is a morgue when there's not much excitement but when there is lots going on it isn't actually too bad!

So, can anyone that was there give me a run down of who played well etc? Read the match reports but you know what they're like.

Greig Laidlaw - what a guy!

Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:23 am

I have a really bad hangover and I almost can't believe how fantastic that match was. Edinburgh showed such amazing guts and determination to secure that win last night. A lot of teams would have given up but credit to the likes of Ford, Laidlaw and NDL the older more experienced guys who were always chatting and firing up the guys who looked like they thought it was over.

As I said earlier it was a privilege to have been at that game. Comfortably the best game of club rugby I have ever seen.

Last edited by RuggerRadge2611 on Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:26 am

Oh yeah almost forgot Yahoo Yahoo king
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:38 am

clapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclap What an amazing result! Radge, ye jammy bar-steward, sounds like an absolute classic. Who were the standout players other than Laidlaw, Ford and NDL or was it just a massive team effort? I saw that Matt Scott was subbed early, presumably injured, and that Harry Leonard came off at half-time?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:53 am

They better have a video for this game somewhere!

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:55 am

Agreed. This sounded like a quite amazing spectacle. Can't wait to see.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:01 am

The stand outs for me were Ford, Visser and Laidlaw.

Ford got through a mount everest sized workload, carried all game long made some seriously important tackles and a crucial turnover in the 2nd half.

Visser has such a fantastic running game, swift, sure footed and for such a big guy he has amazing agility. His eye for the line saved the day and his try inside the 1st minute was the match that set game alight.

Laidlaw was a very cool customer too, slotting his conversions and penalties and led from the front.

Notable mentions for NDL, Jacobson, JT who were all talking the whole match through and spurring the rest onto the win.

RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:14 pm

Ford was immense. His workrate and sheer strength is amazing to watch, if you need some go forward ball, give it to fordy with a bit of a run, he wont fail. Made some absolutley massive tackles aswell. Slight concerns over his darts, but that seemed to be down to a lack of communication with the jumpers who either jumped to early, or he threw too late.

Chunk needs to consider a move to the centres. He made more than one line break, and I think racing were so stunned each time it happened that they didnt react quick enough, and he was off!

Cross worked just as hard as his compatriots in the loose, and had a nice touch in Laidlaws try, if he could scrum, he would be the perfect tighthead, as that is the only part of his game letting him down.

Lozada actually had his best game in the black and red aswell. during our comeback he was everywhere, reminded me a bit of Gray in the paris game early in the year. Telling runs, but didnt just put his head down, looked to bring the players around him onto it and continue the attack.

Gilchrist was fantastic for such an inexperienced guy. Seems to love smashing players in the tackle. see fords lineout comments above.

the backrow were brilliant going forward, always getting over the advantage line and looking to keep the ball moving. Seemed to attack in a pod at times aswell, with all three of them attacking down the NE corner, targetting the smaller backs.

Laidlaw, well what can we say. This guy only has to tell Robbo which shirt hed prefer for the six nations, the 9 or the 10. Either way, he is pure class. I didnt think id see a fly half get a backline moving the way Hernandez got his guys running in the first half, but Laidlaw obviously thought that anything el mago can do, I can do better. He passed in front of the man consistantly, and mixed it up all second half. Hes also got balls the size of the one he was playing with for some of those kicks he took. Impossible to ignore for Scotland selection now.

Leonard was due a.. I dont want to say poor game, because it wasnt, but possibly a game to many this early in his career. It was to be expected though, and im sure hell learn from it and it will make him a better player. Hunters already had his game, and hopefully will get a chance again, as will Leonard.To be fair, in the 40 minutes he played, he hardly got a whiff of the ball, Although I have to fault him for the second week in a row of kicking his restarts far too deep for us to compete, although that seems to be a Scotland wide problem at the moment.

Scott, like Leonard, didnt get enough time to really make a mark, as we were in defense for most of his 20 minute stint before he got injured. Seems to forming a good partnership with De luca however. Injury didnt look too bad, he walked off unassisted, and apparently seemed alright in the dug-out for the rest of the night. King had a difficult time when he came on, threw one wild pass that led to us conceding a try, and got penalised a couple of times in the ruck. Yet for such a tiny guy, he isnt half strong in the tackle.

De luca is seriously staking his claim for taking the 13 shirt off Ansbros back. We might have to start calling him the lumberjack in light of the way hes cutting down guys twice his size. Also seems to have lost his headless chicken moments of madness that have defined him in my eyes over the past few seasons, and is far more composed in attack. Great game.

Lee Jones needs to get involved more. He has the pace, he has the skills, he has the finishing ability, he just needs to start looking for work when its not coming to him. To be fair he hung back a lot to assist thomson with all the high balls that Hernandez sent his way, and that was invaluable, but when the boys were back on the ascendancy, he couldve come in off his wing a bit more. Nevertheless, he played his part and i wouldnt have swapped him for anyone else.

Thompson had a hard time last night, although he did do very well considering. As mentioned, when Racing werent racing down the wing, they were testing Thommo to the limit. Credit to Jim though, he was comfortable under the high ball with massive pressure, and usually managed to beat a couple of chasers and make ground. Subbed for Brown just as we regained the front foot, who looked very good. That boy has quick feet, and I can see him competing for the 15 shirt with Hogg for years to come.

EDIT: Forgot about Visser (what happened to the Patrick stewart emoticon?). Not much to say really, just your standard try scoring, defence destroying performance from the big guy. Nothing out of the ordinary Laugh
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by salisburyexile34 Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:25 pm

Great result for Edinburgh, sets us up nice for the knock out stage, i have 2 spare tickets for the Cardiff game on the 09 Dec, preferably to be given to a couple Edinburgh fans, oh they are also free of charge. If intrested email me. aod674 at gmail dot com
Smile [quote][code]

salisburyexile34

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:32 pm

Really pleased to hear that Ross Ford had another stormer. Seems to finally be fulfilling his potential.

What's great is that when Leonard and Scott come off, we have the talent to shuffle things around without wrecking the side. In two words: some depth. In fact make that three words: some Scottish depth.

I thought the hyperpole was all slightly carried away in the last round, and we still need to remember that this is only round two. Edinburgh need to win at least one of their matches against the Blues, and hopefully take something from the other.

If either Scottish side qualify for the QF it'll be a major step forward for us.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:05 pm

Thats two 1 point wins in the HC for Edinburgh - love it.

Hope Michael Bradley does well he was very good at Connacht.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:54 pm

Well played the Gunners - lets hope the Warriors take some inspiration from that display to Dublin tomorrow. clap
21st Century Schizoid Man
21st Century Schizoid Man

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:35 pm

IBD, thanks, pal, great player review OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:40 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:IBD, thanks, pal, great player review OK

Indeed - thanks

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:50 pm

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:Well played the Gunners - lets hope the Warriors take some inspiration from that display to Dublin tomorrow. clap
+1

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:53 pm

TJ wrote:
AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:IBD, thanks, pal, great player review OK

Indeed - thanks
no problem. enjoyable break from this studying malarky
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:58 pm

OH, totally forgot. Big shout to the touch judge who was running the east stand line in the second half. Overruled a couple of the refs (peculiar?) decisions in our favour at key points.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:47 pm

IBD - great review.

Great that Ross Ford is playing the rugby of his life just now - should bloody hope so with the amount he's being paid!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:24 pm

This was one of the great matches of the weekend. Really happy for the Edinburgh fans. Sadly, it was not on tv over here. Stink.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:42 pm

Any highlights, or have Sky decided that a French and Scottish game is not worthy of showing?

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:02 am

Riskysports wrote:Any highlights, or have Sky decided that a French and Scottish game is not worthy of showing?

Risky - apparently RugbyDump.com provides a link to the Racing Metro website where short highlights are shown. I've found the right address but can't make the clips run. Giant facepalm icon here.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:50 am

The Racing Website has highlights that shows each try but there is music over the top of it so you can't hear the crowd, which is a shame because it actually looked like a decent atmosphere!

Big fan of the pitch side standing - it looked great fun!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:55 pm

Risky - here are your highlights:
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xmh2o9_j2-hcup-edimbourg-v-rm-92-le-resume_sport?start=2#from=embediframe
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:05 pm

Anyone know why there is a big chunk of seats with no one sitting there in teh East stand? Noticed that in the last few games - big block of people sitting at the 22 level but the block next to it is empty, then the blocks after that are all full!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:09 pm

Edinburgh have put their own highlights together: Edin vs RM92 - it has it all, two Chunk offloads, a Chunk sidestep, ... brilliant. Man, do we need to get MacVisser in the navy blue Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:38 pm

That really is a great watch (apart from the music).

Such a great team effort. Gilchrist puts in a huge performance as well (I'm assuming that's him wearing the 4 jersey), as does McInally.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:30 am

I finally saw the match replay. Shame I already know the result. But still edge of the seat exciting. Grteat stuff for Edinburgh. One of the weirdest, most exciting matches I have seen this season. And compared to any of the RWC matches, this kept me really riveted.

Now, for the sake of the team, their supporters and growing Rugby, we want more of this. I hope they didn't blow their wad againt the French.

Massive happy compliments.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:38 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:That really is a great watch (apart from the music).

Such a great team effort. Gilchrist puts in a huge performance as well (I'm assuming that's him wearing the 4 jersey), as does McInally.
Twas Lozada in the 4 shirt, Gilchrist in 5, fES OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2