The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Pacquiao v Marquez an ATG Trilogy?

+8
Rowley
BALTIMORA
The Galveston Giant
Steffan
DaveVDK
AlexHuckerby
Scottrf
Sugar Boy Sweetie
12 posters

Go down

Is Pacquiao v Marquez an ATG Trilogy? Empty Is Pacquiao v Marquez an ATG Trilogy?

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Thu 17 Nov 2011, 11:41 pm

I think most of us can agree on the best trilogies in the sports history (more or less).

Gatti Ward, Morales Barrera, Marquez Vasquez, Bowe Holyfield etc.

So where does pacquiao v JMM rate now that it's complete? Like many of the classic trilogies I'd say the first fight was the best - a classic fight is of course what sets the wheels in motion for further fights to begin with. It has controversy in bundles - all 3 fights have debatable outcomes, with the most recent being the most contentious of all (Morales Barerra had similar controversy in the first bout but unlike MAB Marquez never benefited from kind judging to rectify an earlier misjustice). We've got knock downs, debatable decisions, two guys that couldn't get rid of the other for 36 rounds...

I'd say it is an ATG trilogy, and would certainly make my top 5. How do you rate it and compare it to others?
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Is Pacquiao v Marquez an ATG Trilogy? Empty Re: Is Pacquiao v Marquez an ATG Trilogy?

Post by Scottrf Thu 17 Nov 2011, 11:43 pm

Without a doubt. Just a shame the judges spoilt it for me. For quality, excitement, styles and balance it's right up there and wouldn't argue with it being called the best. You didn't include Ali-Frazier?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Is Pacquiao v Marquez an ATG Trilogy? Empty Re: Is Pacquiao v Marquez an ATG Trilogy?

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Thu 17 Nov 2011, 11:45 pm

Scottrf wrote:Without a doubt. Just a shame the judges spoilt it for me. For quality, excitement, styles and balance it's right up there and wouldn't argue with it being called the best.

Could be the best Scott, although I find it hard to shift my gaze from Erik v MAB as my favourite (despite the relatively lukewarm second fight).
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 17 Nov 2011, 11:47 pm

I'm not necessarily saying I think it's the best, just that I wouldn't argue against it i.e. it's right up there.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 17 Nov 2011, 11:59 pm

yeah it must be up there i would rate them higher than bowe holyfield and such. two classic fights with one good fight.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveVDK Fri 18 Nov 2011, 7:31 am

Defiantly, 3 great fights, the controversy only adds to the notice-ability .

DaveVDK

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri 18 Nov 2011, 7:33 am

Marquez keeps getting robbed though. Hopefully in years to come they wont be famous for the wrong reasons

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Fri 18 Nov 2011, 8:27 am

Would agree it's a great trilogy and one that will be talked about for many years to come.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Fri 18 Nov 2011, 8:52 am

Steffan wrote:Marquez keeps getting robbed though. Hopefully in years to come they wont be famous for the wrong reasons
Defining characteristic of this trilogy.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 18 Nov 2011, 9:00 am

Definitely a great trilogy for me, found the last fight interesting rather than thrilling but the other two were excellent fight and am hard pushed to think of any trilogy where every fight has delivered. However would still have to call the Ali Frazier trilogy the best ever. The first is arguably one of the biggest heavyweight fights ever and the third one of the best, will allow for the fact the second was a little flat.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 18 Nov 2011, 9:11 am

Ali-Frazier number 1 for me, but Pacquiao Marquez is up there alongside Barrera Morales, for me.

2 barnstormers, and one entertaining fight.

Neither fighter gave an inch in any of them, and each time the decision could have gone either way.

A trilogy for the ages, for sure.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Fri 18 Nov 2011, 4:14 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:Ali-Frazier number 1 for me, but Pacquiao Marquez is up there alongside Barrera Morales, for me.

2 barnstormers, and one entertaining fight.

Neither fighter gave an inch in any of them, and each time the decision could have gone either way.

A trilogy for the ages, for sure.

agreed.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Fri 18 Nov 2011, 5:01 pm

Definitely up there with the best trilogy's

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Fri 18 Nov 2011, 5:18 pm

defo up there, i was fascinated wioth the duel that was their latest fight too. Really great tear ups then a fine tactical battle where we saw a 9 to 1 underdog pull out an amazing performance. Bring on the fourth

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 18 Nov 2011, 9:08 pm

Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:
Scottrf wrote:Without a doubt. Just a shame the judges spoilt it for me. For quality, excitement, styles and balance it's right up there and wouldn't argue with it being called the best.

Could be the best Scott, although I find it hard to shift my gaze from Erik v MAB as my favourite (despite the relatively lukewarm second fight).

Yep MAB Morales amazed me, especially number 1, just sat in awe.

I think Pac Marquez should rank highly though. Like I raised in another thread, despite the judging in the 3rd, we had Marquez fighting better than anyone predicted, Pac Man off the pace then showing heart and guts to up the tempo and try his best to turn things around with a higher pace and initiate more exchanges.

Was one of the closest fights between two elite fighters for a while.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down