The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where does the Marquez-Pacquiao trilogy rank?

+10
Josiah Maiestas
sittingringside
Imperial Ghosty
paperbag_puncher
Strongback
88Chris05
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
TRUSSMAN66
milkyboy
Sugar Floyd Louis
14 posters

Go down

Where does the Marquez-Pacquiao trilogy rank? Empty Where does the Marquez-Pacquiao trilogy rank?

Post by Sugar Floyd Louis Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:07 pm

Ridiculous scoring aside, it's one of my favourite trilogies!

What say you....

Sugar Floyd Louis

Back to top Go down

Where does the Marquez-Pacquiao trilogy rank? Empty Re: Where does the Marquez-Pacquiao trilogy rank?

Post by milkyboy Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:47 pm

can't agree sugar, apart from the first round of the first fight, they lacked the drama to be a classic trilogy imo

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Where does the Marquez-Pacquiao trilogy rank? Empty Re: Where does the Marquez-Pacquiao trilogy rank?

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:52 pm

Rank is a good word word for this trilogy....

For all the wrong reasons......

A stain on Boxing.....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:59 pm

5they were all decent fights with skill and knockdowns. The scoring HAS to affect it though. Marquez could be 2-1 vs manny instead of 2-0 with a draw. They didnt have the build up either, both were a bit dull leading up to the fight

Should be ranked highly but is nothing on Ali-Frazier, morales-Barrera and Ward-Gatti.

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:05 pm

Very fine trilogy, though I wouldn't call any of the fights classics, the middle one aside, perhaps. That was an excellent scrap, and certainly Manny's best performance in the series.

The (in my opinion) poor decision in bouts one and three (certainly the latter) take a little of the shine away, but on the whole we've had three very good and / or interesting bouts.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:27 pm

Barrera v Morales, Vazquez v Marquez or Ward v Gatti are the recent trilogies that come to mind.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:24 am

Good, entertaining trilogy that I'd happily sit down and watch over and over especially the first 2 fights. Doesn't have the ferocity or relentlessness of some of the best trilogies though and scoring takes away from it aswell.

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:30 am

I personally can't watch fights where one man gets screwed over because he's not the big name fighter, lot of respect for Pacquiao but he's where he is thanks to some fairly dodgy judging.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:40 am

Imperial Ghosty wrote:I personally can't watch fights where one man gets screwed over because he's not the big name fighter, lot of respect for Pacquiao but he's where he is thanks to some fairly dodgy judging.

Can you not sit down and enjoy Marquez's performances? Sucks that he's been screwed over but still enjoyable watching him put Manny in his place.

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:55 pm

Every time I watch the fights again it becomes a more obvious screw job in the first and third fights, which Marquez won without a shadow of a doubt.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by sittingringside Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:40 pm

I think the controversy adds a little something in a way. I'm always hesitant to shout robbery but I do feel Maquez is unfortunate in the extreme not to have at least one win from the 3 fights.

sittingringside

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Floyd Louis Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:22 pm

paperbag_puncher wrote:
Imperial Ghosty wrote:I personally can't watch fights where one man gets screwed over because he's not the big name fighter, lot of respect for Pacquiao but he's where he is thanks to some fairly dodgy judging.

Can you not sit down and enjoy Marquez's performances? Sucks that he's been screwed over but still enjoyable watching him put Manny in his place.

THIS! Hard as it is with the scoring, action wise it's been a fantastic trilogy imo

Sugar Floyd Louis

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:34 pm

Its more valuable to the industry to have Pacquiao winning streak going, the buzz will not be as daunting if they give a decision to someone like Marquez when Mayweather fight will earn them triple the numbers.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:39 pm

It's more valuable to the industry having the right man winning the fight, more harmful to the sports reputation when such things happen.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:37 pm

This trilogy is becoming the new Ali v Norton.
Norton beats Ali by SD first time around.
Ali beats Norton by SD second time around. (I think these both should've been unanimous)
Ali beats Norton by UD third time out. Most think Norton won it but Joe Frazier scored it a draw and he's hardly Ali's biggest fan.

Revisionist historians circa 2012: ALI ROBBED NORTON BLIND 3 TIMES!!!!

NONE of the Pacquiao v Marquez fights were clear victories. I somehow don't think the 10 point must system was invented in anticipation of Pacquiao flooring Marquez three times in the first then getting outboxed for most of the fight afterwards. The result might not be a clear reflection of everything that happened, but it's a floor in the system, (which came about a long time before this bout) not the judging.

I can see why Marquez is popular but let's not let objectivity get thrown out the window whenever Manny's mentioned. That's what D4 was here for.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by sittingringside Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:09 pm

I think the analogy with the Norton vs Ali trilogy is a very relevant point. However, the significant difference between the Ali vs Norton and Marquez vs Pacquiao is that Marquez has no victories out of three meetings. After Barney Ross and Jimmy Mclarnin concluded their trilogy, some thought that Ross should have won all three whilst some claimed Mclarnin should have reveived a trio of decisions. As it stands, Mclarnin won 1 and Ross the other 2 which is probably a fair reflection of a close rivalry, Marquez's 0 in the win column is not.

sittingringside

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:28 pm

I agree he should feel hard done by not to come away with one win, but to brand the whole trilogy a robbery based on that is innacurate.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:02 pm

the first two were good fights. the third one was a huge anti-climax and i wouldnt enjoy watching it again, so that lets the series down for me.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:09 am

have to agree with JBW in that there was no robberies in the first two fights, they were both very close and could have gone either way. think i had JMM by one in the second. but do think he was robbed in the third, i had jmm easily ahead. as to the trilogy its one i really enjoyed and one of the few where i was able to watch all three live, so didnt know the results like other trilogys ive been back to watch. the second was the best fight out of them

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:09 pm

The third fight was without a shadow of doubt a robbery, Marquez won that fight plain and simple, the second fight was close with all three results possible while the first fight beyond the first two rounds it was all Marquez who should have got a clear decision win. Personally do think he's been robbed overall in the three fight series where he should have at least two victories, he's more deserving of the wins than Pacquiao.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:24 pm

First two were close and very hard to score, third I just don't see how you can give the win to Pacqiaou, I could be as harsh as physically possible and push it as hard as a draw, but for me I have to block out a bit of Marquezs successes, but to be completely honest I wouldn't bat an eyelid if someone only gave Pac 2 rounds in the third fight. Still could be sort of a difficult fight to score I guess.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down