The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Baa-Baas team to face Australia...

+26
Imperialbigdave
brennomac
niwatts
wales606
eirebilly
westernosprey
offload
trebellbobaggins
LW2011
SB
whocares
Pal Joey
Dai Tryin
flankertye
Dim
atuakiwikiwi
yappysnap
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Geordie
formerly known as Sam
Effervescing Elephant
gelodge
maestegmafia
mpc28
red_stag
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
30 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Baa-Baas team to face Australia... - Page 2 Empty Baa-Baas team to face Australia...

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 23 Nov 2011, 3:12 pm

First topic message reminder :

... at Twickenham on Saturday:

Barbarians: 15 Isaia Toeava, 14 Sam Tomkins, 13 Robbie Fruean, 12 Stirling Mortlock, 11 Bryan Habana, 10 Danny Cipriani, 9 Peter Stringer, 8 Adam Thomson, 7 Mauro Bergamasco, 6 Jerome Kaino, 5 Victor Matfield (captain), 4 Simon Shaw, 3 Sylvain Marconnet, 2 Keven Mealamu, 1 Eusebio Guinazu.
Replacements: 16 Adriaan Strauss, 17 Salvatore Perugini, 18 Jason White, 19 Marco Bortolami, 20 Nemia Kenatale, 21 Richard Kahui, 22 Seru Rabeni.

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Baa-Baas team to face Australia... - Page 2 Empty Re: Baa-Baas team to face Australia...

Post by maestegmafia Sat 26 Nov 2011, 4:24 pm

offload wrote:This is pathetic.

O'Connor is fabulous. Cipriaunty is useless. The bloke from rugby league is also useless. If I'd paid for this I'd want a refund.

Looking forward to the next match to see some proper rugby. Let's hope Sarries can beat those dirty cheating Saints.
And Ospreys Connacht on S4C too...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Baa-Baas team to face Australia... - Page 2 Empty Re: Baa-Baas team to face Australia...

Post by maestegmafia Sat 26 Nov 2011, 4:25 pm

westernosprey wrote:Poor Wales next week Sad
I would hope that Wales would never take the field as poor as this Baa Baa side...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Sat 26 Nov 2011, 4:27 pm

Thanks for the reminder Maesteg. clap nice to be able to record one and watch the other.

Last edited by offload on Sat 26 Nov 2011, 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by westernosprey Sat 26 Nov 2011, 4:27 pm

Haha Tomkins

westernosprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 26 Nov 2011, 4:28 pm

Wales will be a different kettle hopefully. Easy to say now but I had my doubts about a few Baa-baas selections.... Cipriani, Tomkins... even Habana. He's definitely past it now as Biltong has said.

Well, there you go - Tomkins finally scores in extra time . Laugh

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 26 Nov 2011, 4:28 pm

wow, looked like he dropped it. think they awarded that in sympathy for the crowd

Matfield goes for the conversion

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 26 Nov 2011, 4:29 pm

Nice kick Victor.... OK

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by westernosprey Sat 26 Nov 2011, 4:29 pm

Matfields kick almost as bad as Hook in the world cup.

westernosprey

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 26 Nov 2011, 4:29 pm

What a shocking match that was, plenty of tries but pretty poor from the Baa Baa's. Cipriani didnt look like he was, in any way shape or form, going to worry the England 10's.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by westernosprey Sat 26 Nov 2011, 4:30 pm

Andy Goode will now relax knowing he is still 5th choice England 10

westernosprey

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 26 Nov 2011, 4:31 pm

westernosprey wrote:Andy Goode will now relax knowing he is still 5th choice England 10
Only 5th??? Who's ahead of him ?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 26 Nov 2011, 4:32 pm

BaaBaas were very poor - Only Matfield came through with his reputation intact (except his place kicking ability)

Aus have shaken off the rust and will worry Wales next week.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Sat 26 Nov 2011, 4:37 pm

Can't see what two seasons in Aus has done for Cipriani?? He still can't tackle and his decision making was very poor.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by flankertye Sat 26 Nov 2011, 4:47 pm

I think the biggest shame is that this was Matfields last match.
For such a great player and a great man, he deserved much much more.

flankertye

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sat 26 Nov 2011, 4:49 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
westernosprey wrote:Poor Wales next week Sad
I would hope that Wales would never take the field as poor as this Baa Baa side...!

Wales will put this shambles to shame and, i suspect, catch Aussie with their pants down.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sat 26 Nov 2011, 4:51 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
westernosprey wrote:Andy Goode will now relax knowing he is still 5th choice England 10

I would think both Eng u21 players are a good distance in front.

Bringing the kids through has worked for you, time Eng did it.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sat 26 Nov 2011, 4:53 pm

offload wrote:Can't see what two seasons in Aus has done for Cipriani?? He still can't tackle and his decision making was very poor.

Made him softer than ever it seems.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 26 Nov 2011, 5:32 pm

maestegmafia wrote:wow, looked like he dropped it. think they awarded that in sympathy for the crowd
Are you talking about Tomkins? He clearly grounded it. Looks fairly lost at times but so did most of his side.

Awful, awful performance by the Barbarians. Forwards (except Matfield) were never in the game.

Cipriani had a couple of decent moments and a couple of shockers so no real change there.

It's time to put the Barbarians out of their misery after this dross.

Back to top Go down

Post by niwatts Sat 26 Nov 2011, 5:35 pm

maestegmafia wrote:

He's not even first choice for Worcester at the moment. Flood, Hodgson, Burns, Farrell, Lamb and maybe even Ford & Myler are probably ahead of him.

niwatts

Back to top Go down

Post by gelodge Sat 26 Nov 2011, 5:50 pm

Poor game. Some great players and only a few questionable ones just couldn't piece it together. I sincerely doubt home nation club players who would have been under strict instructions from their clubs not to put their bodies on the line mid-season would have done much better with so little time to gel.

I blame the coach. He's got previous of not making the grade with the world's best players.

Run

gelodge

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 26 Nov 2011, 5:52 pm

I really hope the Ospreys Connacht match is better...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by brennomac Sat 26 Nov 2011, 5:58 pm

Last week on another thread I had the amazing nerve to suggest that the Barbarians are a relic of a bygone age and should be pensioned off to well-deserved scrutiny. Cue some outraged comment suggesting that I failed to comprehend the wonderful traditions of the Baa-baas, with lots of misty-eyed memories of grteat games of the past.

WSell after the travesty we saw today, does anybody seriouslyt think these games have a future. Players from all over the world turning up and then not giving a sh1t and looking like they were on the p1ss for tyhe last week, pathetic efforts at tackles, Kaino looking as if he was still on his honeymoon. The only one in black and white who emerged with an ounce of credit today was Matfield. And god what were Henry and Hansen thinking when they allowed themselves to be talked into this total shambles.

Even the aussies looked embarassed!

brennomac

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Sat 26 Nov 2011, 6:15 pm

People!

are we forgetting the good BaBaas games back in the summer? One bad game where the team was let down by a few players who looked like they couldnt be ersed does not mean that the BaBaas is redundant.

Personally I think that more emphasis should be placed on picking players with something to prove, guys looking to break into their national sides for instance, who we can guarantee on giving their all to the spirit of the match and a few legends to give it some glamour.

With the exception of Kahui, the all blacks players were a disgrace, but after winning a world cup only a month ago, it probably felt a bit deflating playing an exhibition match. These are the kind of players who should be picked more carefully. If theyre not trying to prove themselves, then pick players who have a reputation for giving their all, no matter what the stakes. While we cant know for sure, im sure Mr McCaw wouldve put a lot more heart into his performance today because thats the kind of player he is. Brad Thorn the same. Kahui is still trying to establish himself as first choice despite being one of the best wingers at the world cup.

I suppose you could argue that Cips had something to prove, but he was more just gash than uninterested.

The Ba-baas arent redundant, theyve just lost sight of what they stand for.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 26 Nov 2011, 6:21 pm

I think the Baabaas were missing players in a few key positions.

I wonder how the game would have gone if the Welsh players had been released - Then they would have had SJ at 10, Roberts in the centre and Halfpenny in the back3, aswell as Ryan Jones in the backrow - Those players would all have had something to prove and would have given their all.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by hawalsh Sat 26 Nov 2011, 6:35 pm

I think the difference between the autumn and the summer games is that these days the autumn game is a one off, whereas in the summer there is usually a series of games, so the squad has more time time together, can gel better, learns how to play off each other in attack and adjusts to the defensive patterns.

hawalsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Looseheaded Sun 27 Nov 2011, 4:38 am

I think Cipriani is getting a harsh wrap here. He wasn't awful, and his service he recieved in the second hand was shocking, the scrumhalf who came on for Stringer passed the ball miles behind every time. The forwards were awful and as a result the backs suffered. I'd still take Cipriani for 6N.

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Sun 27 Nov 2011, 9:11 pm

Looseheaded wrote:I think Cipriani is getting a harsh wrap here. He wasn't awful, and his service he recieved in the second hand was shocking, the scrumhalf who came on for Stringer passed the ball miles behind every time. The forwards were awful and as a result the backs suffered. I'd still take Cipriani for 6N.

I agree with this - whilst he didn't have a great game, I did take an interest in seeing what he would be capable of in the match. he was constantly under pressure mainly due to the Australians steam-rollering every set piece and he received shocking service throughout the second half. You simply can't expect any 10 to be able to deal with a situation so bad as that unless they have 100% committment and help from their team-mates.

I would certainly say that one of the more likely culprits for an awful game was Jason White. Once rated as one of the world's greatest tacklers, he now ranks way below Cipriani IMO. He was pathetic!

As for Cipriani's tackling, he wasn't quite the revolving door that his detractors would like you to think. Sure he did miss a couple, but I actually think he was far more committed in the tackle than his work-shy team-mates. The first Ione try where he missed the tap-tackle wasn't his fault - Fruen should have flattened his man but was out of position and missed. he's certainly not going to worry the England selectors with that display, but I think to judge him solely on that debacle of a match is harsh.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Mon 28 Nov 2011, 4:07 am

I agree with the posts above, i thought Cipriani played quite well considering the circumstances. He set up to 2 tries and Fruen butchered both of them trying to be Sonny Bill, shows why he wasn't picked for the allblacks.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2