The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The worst performance in the history of boxing?

+22
Fists of Fury
Adam D
The Galveston Giant
ShahenshahG
Soldier_Of_Fortune
88Chris05
Lance
d260005p
Mind the windows Tino.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Mr Bounce
Rowley
fearlessBamber
AlexHuckerby
oxring
Valero's Conscience
sodhat
manos de piedra
coxy0001
bhb001
Scottrf
Union Cane
26 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The worst performance in the history of boxing? Empty The worst performance in the history of boxing?

Post by Union Cane Thu 24 Nov 2011, 9:24 am

I caught this fight on KOTV this week, and had to rewind it and watch it again to check that I had seen ot correctly, as it was certainly the worst performance I have ever seen from a so-called "professional" boxer.

So bad in fact, that I had to check that the fight hadn't taken place on April 1st.

It hadn't.

It took place on the 22nd October this year at The Reebok Stadium, Bolton, on the undercard of the Booth / Quigg clash. The fight was the debut of Scarborough cruiserweight Danny Price, and his people had given him a relatively easy start against Slovakian punch-bag Michal Tomko (1-10-0).

Now, Tomko's record suggests that he's not all that good, but what followed was an absolute disgrace to the sport.

Spoiler:

If anyone knows of a worse performance than that, I would love to see it.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

The worst performance in the history of boxing? Empty Re: The worst performance in the history of boxing?

Post by Scottrf Thu 24 Nov 2011, 9:25 am

Sutherland is the worst I've seen, I'll watch that later.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

The worst performance in the history of boxing? Empty Re: The worst performance in the history of boxing?

Post by bhb001 Thu 24 Nov 2011, 9:29 am

I cannot see this at work, so I'll have to check it later. Are you really saying that this is worse than a Heavyweight going for the world title, throwing one half-hearted counting punch in the first three rounds and then being stopped by the first semblance of an attack?

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Thu 24 Nov 2011, 9:29 am

Who was the aussie who went down and didn't get up after barely being touched? Can't for love nor money remember his name, pretty much caused a riot

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 24 Nov 2011, 9:30 am

coxy0001 wrote:Who was the aussie who went down and didn't get up after barely being touched? Can't for love nor money remember his name, pretty much caused a riot
Briggs vs Green.

Your boxing knowledge is shoddy to say the least.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Thu 24 Nov 2011, 9:32 am

Scottrf wrote:
coxy0001 wrote:Who was the aussie who went down and didn't get up after barely being touched? Can't for love nor money remember his name, pretty much caused a riot
Briggs vs Green.

Your boxing knowledge is shoddy to say the least.

Would anyone have cared about the result save for the farcical finish?

Apologies for not giving two ****s about 2 domestic level fighters.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Thu 24 Nov 2011, 9:37 am

Thats nowhere near the worst I have seen. At least the guy came out and had a go and beat the count twice. More than Audley did.

I have seen loads of fight where the guy doesnt throw a punch and basically folds the first time hes caught by a semi decent punch.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu 24 Nov 2011, 9:39 am

Yes he beat the count, but why was he lying on his face in the first place?
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Thu 24 Nov 2011, 9:54 am

Union Cane wrote:Yes he beat the count, but why was he lying on his face in the first place?

Bidding to be the next Pope and practising kissing the floor?

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Thu 24 Nov 2011, 9:59 am

Some unorthodox swings there...

In fairness he seemed game enough, and he tried to land some. But they were so slow and inaccurate it makes me wonder who is the person he beat?

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Thu 24 Nov 2011, 10:01 am

Nicky Cook against Burns. I don't care if he was injured before because if he knew he was in bad shape it was disgraceful for him continue and let fans pay money to see such a shambles.

Clottey's negative game plan against Manny was also terrible.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Thu 24 Nov 2011, 10:04 am

Not the worst I've seen.

I saw one in Germany where there was a guy making his pro debut fighting some prospect who was 2-0-0.

The guy on debut started up on his toes, throwing out 3 or 4 jabs (all arm punches, mind). The prospect threw a scrappy right hook which clipped the man on debut, but didn't land flush. Debut guy then backpedals at pace, desperately pushing his left hand forward - more pleading than punching, before getting clubbed to the floor.

End of fight.

Probably the worst mismatch I've ever seen. The guy on debut may as well have been some bloke from the crowd.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 24 Nov 2011, 10:45 am

pick an audley harrison fight

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by fearlessBamber Thu 24 Nov 2011, 10:46 am

Not the worst necessarily, but shockingly poor:

Spinks against Tyson.
Bruno against Tyson II
Seldon against Tyson
Patterson against Liston
Hide against Vitali
Hatton vs Manny

and of course, Audley Harrison

fearlessBamber

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 24 Nov 2011, 10:54 am

Enzo Mac vs Bobby Gunn must take some beating, particularly as that was for a "world" title apparently.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Thu 24 Nov 2011, 10:57 am

I don't get the Hide against Vitali bit.

I remember it was supposed to be a woeful effort - but I rewatched it recently. As far as I could tell - it was a mismatch - nothing more, pure and simple. Hide tried and over 2 rounds, failed - but not the worst performance of all time.

Like Audley - land 1 punch in 9 minutes in my 1 moment in time...
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Thu 24 Nov 2011, 10:59 am

Naseem Hamed vs Said Lawal. 35 seconds, one punch.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 24 Nov 2011, 11:00 am

Skelton Vs Sprott - The 2 of them putting in an embarrasing display that anyone in the audience probably could have done better.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 24 Nov 2011, 11:00 am

Mr Bounce wrote:Naseem Hamed vs Said Lawal. 35 seconds, one punch.

I went to that. Still hurts to this day.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by fearlessBamber Thu 24 Nov 2011, 11:02 am

oxring wrote:I don't get the Hide against Vitali bit.

I remember it was supposed to be a woeful effort - but I rewatched it recently. As far as I could tell - it was a mismatch - nothing more, pure and simple. Hide tried and over 2 rounds, failed - but not the worst performance of all time.

I just thought he bottled it and was looking for a way out when he was caught 'flush on the shoulder'.

fearlessBamber

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 24 Nov 2011, 11:04 am

Re the Hamed v Lawal fight, can I also thank the young Scottish lad who threw his empty bottle at me and my friends as we peacefully walked back to our hotel.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by d260005p Thu 24 Nov 2011, 11:05 am

Adamek agasint Vitali and Haye against Wladamir. I cant get this at work either so will check when i am at home. I have not been on here in a while and already i have missed Coxy001, ScottRf and Union Cane banter. Oh, ive also changed jobs since the last time i was on! Hope all is well people!

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 24 Nov 2011, 11:07 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:

You've beat my Naz record Tina, went to Billy Hardy which was 90 seconds I believe.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Thu 24 Nov 2011, 11:07 am

fearlessBamber wrote:
oxring wrote:I don't get the Hide against Vitali bit.

I just thought he bottled it and was looking for a way out when he was caught 'flush on the shoulder'.

Fair one. The shoulder can be an awfully painful place to be hit.

His face does rock slightly from that punch and given that was his world title he was losing and he did make it back to his feet I've recently given him more of the benefit of the doubt.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Thu 24 Nov 2011, 11:10 am

Mccloskey against Lauri is the worst performance i have seen in a ring. the guy is a total disgrace. rabbit punches, headbutts and constant wrestling, then when that doesnt work he hits his man after offering to touch gloves. the guy is a pathetic excuse for a sportsman

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 24 Nov 2011, 11:10 am

rowley wrote:
Mind the windows Tino. wrote:

You've beat my Naz record Tina, went to Billy Hardy which was 90 seconds I believe.

Did you get violent Scottish people throwing bottles at you as well though? I think it may have been prettyboykev actually.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu 24 Nov 2011, 11:12 am

It's far more likely that it was someone who knows you Tino.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 24 Nov 2011, 11:13 am

IJL handing in a 30-28 to the guy who got knocked down has to be up there.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 24 Nov 2011, 11:13 am

Are you baiting me, Union? Can I complain to the admin team?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu 24 Nov 2011, 11:16 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:Are you baiting me, Union? Can I complain to the admin team?

You could, but Michaels did that and look what happened to him.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 24 Nov 2011, 11:21 am

I remember watching Froch in Nottingham a few years back, perhaps 2007. Darren Barker was on the undercard and beat a journeyman who gave one of the most embarrassingly awful performances I've ever seen before quitting after the first round. Would take some beating.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu 24 Nov 2011, 11:28 am

Ojay Abrahams?
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 24 Nov 2011, 11:30 am

Union Cane wrote:Ojay Abrahams?

Not sure, have no idea what the fellas name was. Just remember it being a complete waste of time, even for a 'prospect versus journeyman' type of fight.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu 24 Nov 2011, 11:39 am

Barker beat him 'RTD1' on the undercard of Froch / Dodson in 2006, so it is probably him.

He retired in 2008 after 100 fights, with a record of 20-76-4.

It all started so well, he was 4-0-1 after his first five fights in 91/92.

Froch himself beat him KO1 in 2002.

Isn't Boxrec great!
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Thu 24 Nov 2011, 12:04 pm

Union Cane wrote:Isn't Boxrec great!

Only if you've read and posted on my boxrec and how to use it article Wink
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu 24 Nov 2011, 1:19 pm

Brian Sutherland?

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 24 Nov 2011, 1:27 pm

Ray Mercer in MMA lol - only watched it because it was ray mercer - he got a kick to the head - then quit there and then hahaha.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu 24 Nov 2011, 1:45 pm

Michael Kizza against Alex Arthur.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 24 Nov 2011, 1:47 pm

Hide gave everything he could against Klitschko, but he just wasn't good enough, wasn't a bad performance the guy really went for it and fell short just fell early thats all.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu 24 Nov 2011, 2:05 pm

manfredo vs calzaghe?

Chris eubanks jr's opponent was pretty pointless too - did he throw anything back?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 24 Nov 2011, 2:13 pm

He was durable, thats what a novice on his pro debut wants. Perfect opponent.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 24 Nov 2011, 3:16 pm

When Jack Johnson was in self-imposed exile, he fought a series of exhibitions in France. I think he "fought" against a poet/playwright who pranced around the ring for some of the time and cowered in mortal terror for the rest of the time. Johnson finally landed a powder puff shot and his opponenet collaped as if hit by a steam train.

The crowd were so infuriated by this rip-off they attempted to storm the ring and tear both men limb from limb. They escaped with a tidy sum apiece but Johnson was not France's most popular man after that shambles.

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Thu 24 Nov 2011, 3:39 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:Ray Mercer in MMA lol - only watched it because it was ray mercer - he got a kick to the head - then quit there and then hahaha.

See his fight against Tim Sylvia.....

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Thu 24 Nov 2011, 3:39 pm

[quote="Adam D"]manfredo vs calzaghe?quote]

Excellent suggestion. I still say that if he wanted to fight a reality TV star, Warren should have got Jade Goody in the ring (figuratively speaking)

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 24 Nov 2011, 4:10 pm

Amir Khan against Bredis Prescott.

I think its possibly the biggest letdown of a performance due to it being on PPV.

He came out with a big entrance, fireworks etc going off. Only to be hit with a firecracker to the jaw in comical fashion less that a minute into the fight.

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 24 Nov 2011, 4:11 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Amir Khan against Bredis Prescott.

I think its possibly the biggest letdown of a performance due to it being on PPV.

He came out with a big entrance, fireworks etc going off. Only to be hit with a firecracker to the jaw in comical fashion less that a minute into the fight.

He got up before the early stoppage.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 24 Nov 2011, 4:19 pm

Unfair to say that about Khan to be honest, Khan always tries to please and is a bit too eager to at time, he came right out and his chin at LW was a bit suspect and Prescott just landed a humdinger, nothing wrong with his performance in my opinion, just got caught.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 24 Nov 2011, 4:28 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:Unfair to say that about Khan to be honest, Khan always tries to please and is a bit too eager to at time, he came right out and his chin at LW was a bit suspect and Prescott just landed a humdinger, nothing wrong with his performance in my opinion, just got caught.

Yea, but it was a disappointing performance though. Thats what the thread is asking.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 24 Nov 2011, 4:50 pm

Well, for me that doesn't go under a dissappointing performance.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Thu 24 Nov 2011, 4:58 pm

Re the Hamed v Lawal fight, can I also thank the young Scottish lad who threw his empty bottle at me and my friends as we peacefully walked back to our hotel.

Don't mention it, Tina.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next