The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rory Lamont to leave Toulon

+20
geoff998rugby
rodders
Comfort
George Carlin
gowales
21st Century Schizoid Man
Smirnoffpriest
Bathite
B91212
Scot Abroad
RuggerRadge2611
mckay1402
funnyExiledScot
formerly known as Sam
whocares
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Dorothy_Mantooth
Imperialbigdave
beshocked
IanBru
24 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Rory Lamont to leave Toulon Empty Rory Lamont to leave Toulon

Post by IanBru Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:38 am

It would seem that Rory Lamont is leaving Toulon, citing a lack of game time, and a desire to get back into the Scotland setup. No news reports yet, but I'll put them up as soon as they appear.

He has tweeted in the past hour:
"Merci à tous ceux à Toulon pour une étonnante 2 ans. Je suis triste de quitter, mais la possibilité de jouer a été limité cette saison"
Thank you to everyone at Toulon for an amazing two years. I'm sad to leave, but the possibility of playing has been limited this season.

"Je veux jouer pour l'Ecosse et maintenant je dois trouver un autre club où je vais jouer plus au rugby. #jeprometsde nepasenFrance!"
I want to play for Scotland, and now I have to find a club where I will play more rugby. I promise, not in France!

So, who wants an electrifying (when fit and on form) Scottish fullback?

[Can I just say, how about that translation? Eh? Mrs Bachelor in year 6 would be ever so proud.]
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Rory Lamont to leave Toulon Empty Re: Rory Lamont to leave Toulon

Post by beshocked Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:44 am

Rory Lamont should move back to Sale in my opinion.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:50 am

"Mrs Bachelor", what a name!

Not sure whos in dire need of a fullback to be honest...
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:55 am

beshocked wrote:Rory Lamont should move back to Sale in my opinion.

Might as well, will help with the Sale Exiles branding. Whistle

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:59 am

Ian, congrats to the fine efforts of Mrs Bachelor's work!

Very interesting news indeed. Can't see him going to Edinburgh (Mossy, Jim Thompson and Tom Brown), and it would be a shame it he went to Glasgow limiting Hoggy's gametime.

In the AP, Tigers are having an injury crisis in their backs, but not sure they'd want another player that they might lose during international windows, Sarries are well catered for, likewise Exiles (Armitage and Homer), Bath (Abendanon and Cuthbert), Saints (Foden), Quins (Brown), Wasps have Southwell and Haughton, Glaws have Morgan and May, leaving Exe, Sale, Newcastle and Wuss

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:59 am

your translation is actually better than the original sentences so good job Smile

another potential Laporte casualties would include Elfion Lewis-Robert and obviously Mason.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:00 pm

I wouldn't want to see him back at Sale as Miller has been getting lots of game time and has been growing in confidence. If Miller is to be a long term England fly half option he needs to continue to get first team exposure and not just sit on the bench waiting for the LV Cup.

Surely one of the Scottish teams will take him.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:05 pm

A bit more thought, Exe have Arscott and young Jack Nowell, with Dollman and Dorrian providing cover, Wuss have Claasens and Pennell (R Lamont better than both), Falcons have Tait and Goosen (could fit in with them), and Sale have young Rob Miller and at a push Will Addison (so possible fit there too?)

Intriguing chin

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:14 pm

Saints could use him maybe. Then again it would be another player away during the 6N for them. Maybe Bath but how much wage cap do they have left but they have some injured wingers at the minute with Abendanon a little hit and miss at times it could be an option.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:21 pm

Of the two Scottish sides Glasgow would make the most sense. They have some cash to burn having seen Richie Gray decline their offer, and remember that Rory Lamont plays wing as well as fullback, so it wouldn't have to mean that Stuart Hogg gets axed (in fact I think he's been Glasgow's best back three player this season so I'd keep him at 15).

Rory Lamont could easily play on the Glasgow wing though. Hogg, Lemi and Lamont, with Seymour covering from the bench.

Were he to move to Edinburgh I suspect it would be a similar scenario. The 15 jersey is already a three-way contest, and it's really the wings where there's little depth behind Visser and Lee Jones. That said, I'm not sure I'd want Rory Lamont taking either of those slots. He's a better 15 than either CP and Thompson though (and certainly Brown), so if you were taking a pragmatic approach you could sign him at 15 for Edinburgh and boot Brown back to the amateur leagues.

Lamont, Visser and Jones could be a very exciting unit.

Of the English sides I think I agree that Worcester, Sale and Newcastle would be the three that make the most sense, although I see Newcastle as a sure thing for the drop this season so I don't think that's a smart move.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:50 pm

I would love Glasgow to sign him. He can play on the wing and also help break up Hoggs workload at 15.

Next Season

Hogg
Lamont
DTH
Morrison
Lemi
Jackson/Weir
Cusiter

Would be the foundations of a half decent backline!

With his injury record, returning to Scotland and being under the SRUs management would mean he would get proper rest when required. Something he won't get elsewhere.

I would think his wage demands will be too high though. We do seem to have some cash available, but with Lemi signed and Hogg doing well at Full Back, I would think the cash has been ear marked for beefing up the pack for next season and/or a Centre.

Last edited by Dorothy_Mantooth on Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:38 pm; edited 2 times in total

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:32 pm

Glasgow! It has to be but can they afford him?
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:16 pm

Noone think there is a chance he will go to Wales, Sean did and it totaly revitalised his career.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Scot Abroad Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:53 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Noone think there is a chance he will go to Wales, Sean did and it totaly revitalised his career.

I heard a rumour on another forum that he could be joining his brother at Scarlets. Scarlets fans, do you need a fullback? From what I’ve seen so far this season Ospreys could do with a decent 15.

I think the pro12 teams are the best bet for him. I’d love to see him go to Glasgow. If the SRU are serious about spending money then this is an obvious opportunity for them to prove that it’s not all talk. They say they want to keep the best player in Scotland, then bringing the best players back to Scotland is a no brainer. He’s only 28 so has a good few years ahead of him. Although Hogg has played well this season, we don’t have much cover at fullback. Lamont would be a good mentor for Hogg.

Scot Abroad

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:31 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Saints could use him maybe. Then again it would be another player away during the 6N for them. Maybe Bath but how much wage cap do they have left but they have some injured wingers at the minute with Abendanon a little hit and miss at times it could be an option.
Not sure Saints really need him. Pisi was signed as a back up full back (although he can play OC), and due to Foden he still wouldn't get much game time unless on the wing although there is a decent amount of competition for those spots (Ashton, Cato, Diggin & Artemiev). I'm also guessing he wouldn't be too cheap and the wage cap must already be close to overflowing at Franklin Gardens.

If it's going to be an AP side then I can see the advantage of Sale. I understand what your saying about Miller and game time but Miller would still be on the bench and it could probably mean he gets more time at 10, coming on during the game and in LV matches. Could still cover FB during the 6N and Lamont does seem to pick up a fair few injuries.

If the wages are right can see him ending up in either Scotland or Wales. If I was a betting man I would go with the Scarlets.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:34 pm

Scot Abroad wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Noone think there is a chance he will go to Wales, Sean did and it totaly revitalised his career.

I heard a rumour on another forum that he could be joining his brother at Scarlets. Scarlets fans, do you need a fullback? From what I’ve seen so far this season Ospreys could do with a decent 15.

I think the pro12 teams are the best bet for him. I’d love to see him go to Glasgow. If the SRU are serious about spending money then this is an obvious opportunity for them to prove that it’s not all talk. They say they want to keep the best player in Scotland, then bringing the best players back to Scotland is a no brainer. He’s only 28 so has a good few years ahead of him. Although Hogg has played well this season, we don’t have much cover at fullback. Lamont would be a good mentor for Hogg.

Good point about testing the SRU and their new found commitment to the Pro Teams. Obviously they don't have to go after good player who becomes avilable, but if they don't make a serious attempt to sign Rory then its not a great start.

Obviously he may not want to come back to Scotland and fair enough, but I am sure Lamont is exactly the type player both Pro coaches would love to have.

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:41 pm

Sadly there's no room for Rory at Glasgow- the Warriors will shortly be announcing the signing of Sean Maitland from the Crusaders OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:04 pm

Maitland - that definately true mate?

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:10 pm

I'd really like him at the Scarlets as we haven't got much depth at 15 (Evans is hit and miss, as is Fenby), but saying that we do have Stoddart, who while better on the wing is our best FB and a potent attacking threat from FB, and we have a lot more options on the Wing. Not sure we can afford him but I would love to see him join his bro down at PYS

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:11 pm

Bathite wrote:Maitland - that definately true mate?
Nope, I made it up - but you can't blame us for trying OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:36 am

ASBO,
you utter b*st*rd you had me going there for a mo ! Rory for the Warriors it is then. After all they offered Big Richie £300,000 so some money there.

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:26 pm

Sorry mate Wink

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:09 am

Come to the Ospreys, please... We've got Richard Fussell and Barry Davies Sad

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:40 am

IanBru - props to you for this.

Probably a good move - he will have learned all he can there and he's right, he's been out so much with injury he really needs to get regular games under his belt. I think that a lot of us have forgotton how good he can be.

Have absolutely no wish for him to dislodge Hogg or Thompson at the Scottish clubs (it's taken each of these players long enough to displace Bernie and Mossy in any event) and so it would have to be a Jeff side, I would think.

Sarries may actually be an option to give Goode some cover (and I would love to see that) but a more likely option is joining his brother at Scarlets or the Sale Exiles Juggernaut.

Best of luck to him either way - he's a quality player [who's been very unlucky with injury]/[who appears to be made of glass] (delete as per your preference).
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:43 am

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
In the AP, Tigers are having an injury crisis in their backs, but not sure they'd want another player that they might lose during international windows, Sarries are well catered for, likewise Exiles (Armitage and Homer), Bath (Abendanon and Cuthbert), Saints (Foden), Quins (Brown), Wasps have Southwell and Haughton, Glaws have Morgan and May, leaving Exe, Sale, Newcastle and Wuss

Asbo - have you spotted the inconsistency with this statement? Rory Lamont to leave Toulon 810156456 Rory Lamont to leave Toulon 810156456 Rory Lamont to leave Toulon 810156456 Rory Lamont to leave Toulon 810156456 Rory Lamont to leave Toulon 810156456
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:04 am

Click Here for Scotsman Article

I would say the plot has thickened quite a bit. He was not released from Toulon due to sporting reasons? I wonder if he has had a bust up with someone in particular.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:34 am

Sounds like the French lifestyle wasn't for him. Rather than falling out with team mates it sounds more like he's not getting on with the coach.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:38 am

George Carlin Saracens also have Chris Wyles, USA international as a decent full back. Plus England U20s FB Ben Ransom is waiting in the wings though someone might pinch him.

In my opinion Saracens don't need Rory Lamont.

Sale I am sure would welcome him with open arms.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:40 am

Ulster, instead of Terreblanche?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:51 am

beshocked wrote:George Carlin Saracens also have Chris Wyles, USA international as a decent full back. Plus England U20s FB Ben Ransom is waiting in the wings though someone might pinch him.

In my opinion Saracens don't need Rory Lamont.

Sale I am sure would welcome him with open arms.

Completely forgot about Wyles. Rory Lamont to leave Toulon 496889

There really is a judgment call to be made between playing for a good side and playing for a side where you are unlikely to dispatch the incembent.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:15 pm

Ulster, instead of Terreblanche?.

Is it too late for that? Otherwise could be a good option until the end of the season and then he could re-access from there.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:20 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Sounds like the French lifestyle wasn't for him. Rather than falling out with team mates it sounds more like he's not getting on with the coach.

He seems to get on with his teammates well, so I agree, i dont think its that.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:16 pm

Presumably Ramont is Heino-(or indeed Amlin-)bound? Makes him a slightly less attractive prospect

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Scot Abroad Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:09 pm

He's not played at all this season so i doubt he was included in the squad.

Scot Abroad

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:29 pm

I dont see him signing for any of the Welsh regions.

Blues have Halfpenny/Chekai(sp)/Fish.
Dragons have Thomas/S.Jones/Tovery
Scarlets have L.Williams/Stoddart/D.Evans/Newton/Priestland
Ospreys have Fussell/B.Davies/Prydie/G.Owen

all of the above can cover FB and I'd say all the sides (bar the ospreys - until Prydie comes along properly) have better fullback as first choice currently.

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:30 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:
Ulster, instead of Terreblanche?.

Is it too late for that? Otherwise could be a good option until the end of the season and then he could re-access from there.

Unfortunately its too late as it would have made sense for both parties.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:33 pm

Comfort wrote:I dont see him signing for any of the Welsh regions.

Blues have Halfpenny/Chekai(sp)/Fish.
Dragons have Thomas/S.Jones/Tovery
Scarlets have L.Williams/Stoddart/D.Evans/Newton/Priestland
Ospreys have Fussell/B.Davies/Prydie/G.Owen

all of the above can cover FB and I'd say all the sides (bar the ospreys - until Prydie comes along properly) have better fullback as first choice currently.
OK, Halfpenny I'll agree, but the others? Guess they may be in time, but don't think so yet

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:40 pm

Comfort - I'd say Lamont is much better than D Evans, Newton or Liam Williams and Priestland will be 10 he can also play wing and although we have North and S Lamont, he's better than Reynolds, Liam and Lee Williams and Fenby and we don't know how good Ionghi is.

Though it could be a risk signing him as we have little money and if Ionghi is really good then we'll be over flowing with back 3 players.

I'd also say he's better than Prydie, G Owen and B Davies for the O's and with the Dragons S Jones and Tovey are 10's so won't spend too much time playing 15, but I doubt the Dragons could afford him.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:55 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:Comfort - I'd say Lamont is much better than D Evans, Newton or Liam Williams and Priestland will be 10 he can also play wing and although we have North and S Lamont, he's better than Reynolds, Liam and Lee Williams and Fenby and we don't know how good Ionghi is.

Though it could be a risk signing him as we have little money and if Ionghi is really good then we'll be over flowing with back 3 players.

I'd also say he's better than Prydie, G Owen and B Davies for the O's and with the Dragons S Jones and Tovey are 10's so won't spend too much time playing 15, but I doubt the Dragons could afford him.

Smirnoff, My point was the regions wont spend their money on a scottish player who may/may not be away with Scotland when they have so much young welsh cover.

also, Thomas at the Dragons when fit is absolutely electric and was in-line for wales calls within the last season or 2 and s.jones/Tovey will both be wanting gametime at 10 and i imagine will both see a bit of action at 15 is Thomas isnt available.

L.Williams at scarlets has been excellant for his age, being calm, collected and amongst the tries. It may be early to call, but if he carries on his season like this, well.... and with Stoddart coming back, Id say Stoddart is a better FB than Ramont.

Sorry, I didnt mean to say he wasnt as good as any id listed, just that it makes no sense for any of the regions to sign him (im in work and thus typing pretty sharpish) mo1

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:10 pm

Ok fair enough - good point Comfort - but I'd still like the Scarlets to sign him (if they could afford him) as our options at FB are pretty weak - Dan Evans is no Fussell, M Thomas or Halfpenny and he blows hot and cold, Liam Williams has impressed me but if very young, Newtons not a great option nd Stodds could well end up playing on the wing but I agree all the regions do have options at full back, but probably not as good a options as in most other positions (besides lock)

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:20 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:Ok fair enough - good point Comfort - but I'd still like the Scarlets to sign him (if they could afford him) as our options at FB are pretty weak - Dan Evans is no Fussell, M Thomas or Halfpenny and he blows hot and cold, Liam Williams has impressed me but if very young, Newtons not a great option nd Stodds could well end up playing on the wing but I agree all the regions do have options at full back, but probably not as good a options as in most other positions (besides lock)

Im with you Smirnoff, I just think the Scarlets are well covered, Newton/Evans dont look great shakes, but look at how much Priestland has improved over the last 2/3 seasons. And with all the centre talent developing, S.Lamont will re-find his permanent home on the wing for the scarlets. I'd like to see a back 3 of Lamont/Stoddart/North, ouch.

As you say mind, they cant afford him, neither can the Blues, unless he's happy for us to pay him in pies? The Dragons will be recruiting up front if anywhere (especially after signing chavanga) and the ospreys always have a number of promising backs coming though at any given time, makes no sense to block them with another scottish import a la Nikki Walker.

Personally can see Rory going to Sale. Cool

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:21 pm

Ulster will not be signing him

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:42 pm

geoff998rugby wrote:Ulster will not be signing him

Think how good a backline with Danielli AND Lamont would be Whistle
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:17 pm

Am I wrong in thinking Ulster are around the full complement of NIQ players (at least until next season where one will become IQ?). I maybe wrong though as I haven't looked into it, but if so it would mean that it's more than likely for Lamont to be AV bound (taking into consideration Comfort destroying my dream of a double Lamont tag team at Scarlets)

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by BATH_BTGOG Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:20 pm

I'd like him at Bath, we must have some salary cap left as I'm sure Donald wouldn't haver cost that much compared to Grewcock and Butch.
BATH_BTGOG
BATH_BTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:26 pm

Attwood was on the same cash as Grewcock, pretty much. Had to go big to get him ahead of others and the pig farmers.

Donald surely cheaper than Butch though, especially as it was signed when he was an AB outcast!

All that aside, don't see him as an improvement on anyone we have already have, except Cuthbert.

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:51 pm

Ospreys are limited at fullback. Fussell and Davies are average at best, while Owens is injured and Prydie is away with 7's. We could use him

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:22 am

His agent should have a sniff around the super 15 teams.

There seems to be more and more European players heading out there and it might toughen him up a bit.

It's fairly obvious there's no room for him in Scotland, Wales, Ireland or England, so it's either down under or the Italian teams.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:36 am

Tattie, a move down under would rule him out of the 6N though as he wouldn't play any rugby before it began. In his Twitter statement he lists that as a priority. Of course he could sign for somebody on an injury replacement until March and then head down under for the bulk of their season but I'm not sure any Super 15 franchise would go for that.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:18 am

haha im sorry smirnoff! you can imagine the commentary on a scarlets backline move though....

"Williams, to Williams, offload to Lamont, ball recycled and this time its moved byWilliams out wide to Lamont who kicks ahead for Williams to chase..."

and so on Erm

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next