The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales team vs Aus announced

+22
tatterd
Smirnoffpriest
munkian
Dai Tryin
dogtooth
bedfordwelsh
Taffineastbourne
Gatts
SubsBench
Seagultaf
gowales
Cymroglan
Morgannwg
gavstar
XR
maestegmafia
BlueNote
Luckless Pedestrian
Turkster
Londonwelsh
wales606
Pot Noodle Miner
26 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Wales team vs Aus announced Empty Wales 22 v Australia

Post by Pot Noodle Miner Tue 29 Nov 2011, 12:08 pm

Who would you pick in the 22 to face Australia on saturday?

heres the squad:
Forwards: Gethin Jenkins, Rhodri Jones, Ryan Bevington, Scott Andrews, Lloyd Burns, Huw Bennett, Matthew Rees, Bradley Davies, Luke Charteris, Ian Evans, Sam Warburton (captain), Dan Lydiate, Justin Tipuric, Lewis Evans, Toby Faletau, Ryan Jones

Backs: Tavis Knoyle, Lloyd Williams, Rhys Priestland, Dan Biggar, Jamie Roberts, Jonathan Davies, Scott Williams, Shane Williams, George North, Alex Cuthbert, Leigh Halfpenny, Liam Williams

i would go with

1. Jenkins
2. Rees
3. R.Jones
4. B.Davies
5. L.Charteris
6. D.Lydiate
7. Warburton
8. Faletau
9. Williams
10. Priestland
11. Williams
12. Roberts
13. Davies
14. North
15. Halfpenny (if fully fit otherwise L.Williams)

16. H.Bennett
17. S.Andrews
18. I.Evans
19. R.Jones
20. T.Knoyle
21. D.Biggar
22. Sc.Williams

anyone have any injury updates on players who were injured at the time of selection etc.
also does anybody know roughly how many tickets are still available for this game? just wondering if the stadium is going to be half empty or almost a sell-out?
Pot Noodle Miner
Pot Noodle Miner

Back to top Go down

Wales team vs Aus announced Empty Wales team vs Aus announced

Post by wales606 Tue 29 Nov 2011, 12:35 pm

Wales coach Warren Gatland has made six changes to his team for Saturday’s World Cup bronze medal re-match against Australia in Cardiff.

Sam Warburton returns as captain after being sent off during Wales’ agonising World Cup semi-final loss to France and then missing the Wallabies clash through suspension.
There are also starts for centre Scott Williams, half-backs Rhys Priestland and Lloyd Williams, plus prop Scott Andrews and lock Ian Evans.

Injuries have sidelined centre Jonathan Davies, props Adam Jones and Paul James and lock Alun Wyn-Jones, while half-backs James Hook and Mike Phillips are unavailable because of commitments with their respective French clubs Perpignan and Bayonne.

The selection is highlighted by wing Shane Williams making his 87th and final Wales appearance.
Williams, who has scored a record 57 tries for his country, will retire from international rugby next weekend and his guaranteed an emotional Millennium Stadium send-off.
The 34-year-old, a former International Rugby Board player of the year, will continue his Ospreys career after stepping down from Test duty.

WALES: Leigh Halfpenny; George North, Scott Williams, Jamie Roberts, Shane Williams, Rhys Priestland, Lloyd Williams; Gethin Jenkins, Huw Bennett, Scott Andrews, Bradley Davies, Ian Evans, Dan Lydiate, Sam Warburton (C), Toby Faletau

REPLACEMENTS: Matthew Rees, Ryan Bevington, Ryan Jones, Justin Tipuric, Tavis Knoyle, Dan Biggar, Alex Cuthbert.

Last edited by wales606 on Tue 29 Nov 2011, 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Wales team vs Aus announced Empty Re: Wales team vs Aus announced

Post by wales606 Tue 29 Nov 2011, 12:41 pm

Strong Blues contingent Wink Very Happy
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Londonwelsh Tue 29 Nov 2011, 12:46 pm

Scott Andrews is a worry for me. I think I would rather Rhys Thomas from the Scarlets.

Dont know what you think of Andrews but he's been a liability for the Blues scrum.
Londonwelsh
Londonwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Turkster Tue 29 Nov 2011, 12:46 pm

Huw Blydi Bennett again! steam

possibly the worst halfback pairing of all time for Wales sat on the bench just waiting for the 60 minute mark to come on and seal the win for Wales. Crying or Very sad

Turkster

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 29 Nov 2011, 12:49 pm

Londonwelsh wrote:Scott Andrews is a worry for me. I think I would rather Rhys Thomas from the Scarlets.

Dont know what you think of Andrews but he's been a liability for the Blues scrum.

His scrummaging is poor, but tends to improve when he has been with Wales for a while. To be fair, he hasnt been getting enough gametime.

He is only 22 and working as Adam Jones deputy untill 2015 can only improve his scrummaging.

I agree with Gatland that he should play more, even if he gets mullered a few times while he is learning.

Not that happy with him starting for Wales however, I think I would prefer R.Thomas for the short term - but clearly Gats is looking at Andrews for the future. Hopefully their wont be any problems, as the Aus scrum isnt great either.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 29 Nov 2011, 12:50 pm

Turkster wrote:Huw Blydi Bennett again! steam

possibly the worst halfback pairing of all time for Wales sat on the bench just waiting for the 60 minute mark to come on and seal the win for Wales. Crying or Very sad

If Preistland or L.Williams get injured early on, we can stop watching and go for a bath...
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 29 Nov 2011, 12:57 pm

wales606 wrote:
Turkster wrote:Huw Blydi Bennett again! steam

If Preistland or L.Williams get injured early on, we can stop watching and go for a bath...

That said, I can't wait to see how Lloyd Williams and Priestland go.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueNote Tue 29 Nov 2011, 1:01 pm

It's beyond me how you could pick Huw Bennett above Matthew Rees.

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 29 Nov 2011, 1:06 pm

That is an exciting team, will push the limits of our squad after several injuries. Jon Davies was something I didnt know about, but Scott Williams is a good replacement.

That said happy to see that North and Halfpenny are fit.

Exciting to see a few young guys on the bench too. Tupuric is a very good player offers a different type of game to Warbs. Alex Cuthbert has played well, is quick and a big lump of a winger so it will be good to get him involved.

Pretty happy with that team, definitely underdogs against what, even with a few injuries, is still a pretty damn fine Aussie team.

Front five will be interesting, we need to blood some spare props, Andrew has to step up big time. Ian Evans will relish the chance to prove he has what we thought he had four or five years ago. Has been blighted by injuries for far too long, but is looking good now.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 29 Nov 2011, 1:06 pm

BlueNote, I'd call that fair reward for Huw Bennett's improved form over the last few months. Plus, Matthew Rees is only just back from injury and why should he be allowed to waltz back in to the starting XV?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Tue 29 Nov 2011, 1:10 pm

Can't wait to see how the half backs go, they're the 2 in form players in wales at their positions.

So i expect a bad game from both ¬_¬

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 29 Nov 2011, 1:20 pm

6. Dan Lydiate
7. Sam Warburton
8. Toby Faletau
9. Lloyd Williams
10. Rhys Preistland
12. Jamie Roberts

That's the combination that wins games Wink
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueNote Tue 29 Nov 2011, 1:23 pm

luckless, reasons to pick Rees are HB's awful record in the lineout and that Rees is a stronger scrummager (AJ is missing). He's good around the park, Bennett, but you just can't afford to give away the lineout ball that he regularly gives away against a team like Aus.

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Noodle Miner Tue 29 Nov 2011, 1:43 pm

not a bad side overall, my main concern would be Scott Andrews, who seems to be our 3rd/4th choice tighthead at the moment and he does'nt get alot of game time at the Blues either which is worrying, it would be great if he could prove the doubters wrong and put in a solid performance on saturday and hopefully Ian Evans will take his chance too
Pot Noodle Miner
Pot Noodle Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 29 Nov 2011, 1:45 pm

BlueNote wrote:luckless, reasons to pick Rees are HB's awful record in the lineout and that Rees is a stronger scrummager (AJ is missing). He's good around the park, Bennett, but you just can't afford to give away the lineout ball that he regularly gives away against a team like Aus.
One thing the Aussies definitely have is a decent line out... Good to have Evans there, he's looked good for the Ospreys so far this year, no Charteris, but I am sure that Gats will whip him into shape nicely. Big lad too

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by gavstar Tue 29 Nov 2011, 2:28 pm

our best 2 at 9/10, lets see them in action, cant wait, lets go for it!

gavstar

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue 29 Nov 2011, 3:04 pm

Still amazes me how people can slate Huw Bennet after how well he performed in the world cup. Although our 2nd rows are missing he should be able to find Ian Evans. Considering the players out would certainly be in contention for a starting spot, that's a good team. I hope there is no halfback changes at all though.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Tue 29 Nov 2011, 3:11 pm

Rees needs to win his place back and I hope he has to fight tooth and nail for it.
Competition for places is great strength in depth means that players don't own the shirt they have to earn it and at the moment Bennett is in possession of the shirt.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Tue 29 Nov 2011, 4:37 pm

Hibbard should be 2nd choice in the 6 nations behind Rees but i can see why Gatland has stuck with Bennett for this one.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 29 Nov 2011, 6:25 pm

Bennet has been in great form this season. I would have felt better if Rees were ahead of him, but obviously Rees needs to do more to get his place back.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Tue 29 Nov 2011, 6:51 pm

Halfpenny has not played this season, Roberts, North and Faletau are playing their first games after injury. These guys cannot be match fit! Also a tight head who cannot scrumage!

I appreciate this is just a money maker for the WRU, but I think Gats could have made some stronger picks. Andrews and Bevington may be players for the future but this game is on Saturday. Rhys and Iestyn at the Scarlets, Yapp at the Blues, Duncan at the Ospreys and Price at the Dragons are all better scrumagers. And scrumaging is a prop's first job.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by gavstar Tue 29 Nov 2011, 7:30 pm

seagul, sounds like you think this game will deliver a reality check to exactly where we are with the side thats been picked, forward wise anyway.

gavstar

Back to top Go down

Post by SubsBench Tue 29 Nov 2011, 7:55 pm

Andrews is a concern and needs to show a lot more than he has to date. My biggest concern however is the bench. It does not inspire me with confidence. Rees and Ryan can make an impact off the bench but the others are either unproven or have previously failed to make much of an impact eg Biggar.

SubsBench

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue 29 Nov 2011, 8:04 pm

subsbench, I have said that about Andrews for a while. If he has one of his usual stinkers on Saturday then I think it could be the final nail in his coffin. But saying that I do remember a time that Paul James used to get taken apart by big opposition scrummagers but now he's one of our best. Hopefully Andrews will come good.

As for the bench, well it isn't the best. I do think players like Rees, Cuthbert and Bevington can make an impact; Bevs has always played well for Wales. Ryan is the 2nd row cover, that doesn't inspire me with confidence either because it is definitely a strong area for the Wallabies. Lewis Evans should have also been on the bench, he can cover 6, 7 and 8. I think his future with the Dragons will be at 7. Tipuric has been a bit of a card machine this season and it is not like he has much more experience than Evans (1 cap). The halfback combo is possibly the worst I have ever seen so hopefully there is no need to use them at any point.

Last edited by Morgannwg on Tue 29 Nov 2011, 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : taken as opposed to taking innit)
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Tue 29 Nov 2011, 8:05 pm

biggar won't figure, priest will have a feast

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Tue 29 Nov 2011, 8:10 pm

wales606 wrote:Strong Blues contingent Wink Very Happy
This is just what p*sses me off about our Rugby.B*gger where they come from.Are they good enough.Parochialism is our curse!!!!!

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by SubsBench Tue 29 Nov 2011, 8:11 pm

Gatts I hope your right.

Morgannwg, while Andrews hasnt impressed me greatly I think its a bit early to write him off if he does have a bad game. Think he's only 22(?). He's got a lot of time on his side to develop. He's just not there yet.

Cuthbert could make an impact but as I said he's unproven and we dont know if he can carry his regional form to internatiomal level.

SubsBench

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Tue 29 Nov 2011, 8:15 pm

Empty the bench you only get to see how good a player is when they are pitched against top sides.
We cant afford to test them out in the six nations or world cups.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 29 Nov 2011, 9:05 pm

Taffineastbourne wrote:
wales606 wrote:Strong Blues contingent Wink Very Happy
This is just what p*sses me off about our Rugby.B*gger where they come from.Are they good enough.Parochialism is our curse!!!!!

I was joking, hence the winky face. I was just suprised to see the announcement on the Blues fb page that there were 7 Blues players in the 15. We normally only have a few.

Im glad that Cuthbert has been given a chance, but surprised its not Li.Williams on the bench since he would also cover 15.

And as I have said, I would rather R.Thomas was starting over Andrews - So no its not parochialism.

I would also prefer that Davies was on the bench and AWJ and Charteris were starting.

This team has the backrow and backs that were so good in the world cup. The problem is that the front 5 has changed a lot - Bennett had a good world cup, but he could easily have a shocker on Saturday without AWJ and Charteris. So, Gethin is the only one of the front 5 we can rely on :/ - Worrying.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 29 Nov 2011, 9:12 pm

With the doubt few days ago about qll the injuries its a prety strong side, despiet never being a R Thomas fan I think he's been hard done by and would have picked him over Andrews.

WIth the news that Charteris and AWJ could missthe 6 Nations this will be a huge chance for I Evans to step upto the mark and partner Davies.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Tue 29 Nov 2011, 9:15 pm

I agree

But Geth can score from anywhere

We do however need Davies to stand up and show what he is made of as the front 5 is the area Aus will target. If that goes wrong it will be a long day at the office. Having Charters mean't you could guarantee most of your own ball so they will target our line out

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 29 Nov 2011, 9:20 pm

Gatts, Yeah agree about Davies he has slipped to 3rd choice of late so its a chance for him as well to put a marker down.

Evans and I guess R Jones aside who are the young bucks coming along in the second row?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue 29 Nov 2011, 9:59 pm

Downes of the Blues, who broke his ankle and dislocated something in the same game right? (Castres, first round).
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by dogtooth Tue 29 Nov 2011, 11:59 pm

this team is the best XXII gats has ever picked, given his options.
dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 30 Nov 2011, 8:38 am

dogtooth wrote:this team is the best XXII gats has ever picked, given his options.
Thats an interesting call...!

He appears to have picked on form as well as considered the players performances in training. Ian Evans has had a good start to the year, on the bench Tuperic and Cuthbert have both impressed as well. Biggar has impressed some people though I am not a fan. Surprise Knoyle is included considering a few games he has had, but on form he is a very good scrum half.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 30 Nov 2011, 10:07 am

SCOTT ANDREWS has revealed the part Wales and Lions scrummaging ace Adam Jones has played in preparing him for his first international start.

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-news/2011/11/29/adam-jones-gives-youngster-scott-andrews-scrummaging-tips-ahead-of-australia-clash-91466-29865594/#ixzz1fBL0XRdA

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 30 Nov 2011, 10:10 am

WALES’ forgotten man Ian Evans is determined put three years of pain behind him and seize a golden opportunity to become a Six Nations star.

Evans will make his first start for his country against Australia on Saturday since injury turmoil derailed a bright international career in November 2008.

The knee damage sustained during that clash with New Zealand was the beginning of a traumatic few years for the 27-year-old, who has seen comeback after comeback destroyed by further ankle and chest problems.

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-news/2011/11/30/forgotten-man-ian-evans-determined-to-put-injury-pain-behind-him-with-wales-91466-29865600/#ixzz1fBLskzz2

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Dai Tryin Wed 30 Nov 2011, 10:41 am

I cant wait to see what we can do with a quick, proper scrum half!
So excited to see our beloved Wales play again after a 'magnificent' (Quinellian) world cup, add a side of; bidding a lump in the throat inducing farewell to Shane Williams and you got another great occasion to do what we all enjoy best .....being Welsh!!

Dai Tryin

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 30 Nov 2011, 10:45 am

Dai Tryin wrote:I cant wait to see what we can do with a quick, proper scrum half!

Tell me about it!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 30 Nov 2011, 11:40 am

Here is a rather daunting look at the History of the occasion...!

Match Stats

At All Venues: Australia 20 wins, Wales 10 wins, 1 drawn
In Australia: Australia 8 wins, Wales 1 win
In Wales: Australia 11 wins, Wales 8 wins, 1 drawn
At Neutral Venues: Australia 1 win, Wales 1 win

Biggest Australian win (margin) at all venues: 57 (63-6) Brisbane, 1991
Biggest Australian win (margin) in Wales: 35 (38-3) Cardiff, 1991

Heaviest Australian defeat (margin) at all venues: 25 (3-28) Cardiff, 1975
Heaviest Australian defeat (margin) in Wales: 25 (3-28) Cardiff, 1975

Biggest Australian winning score at all venues: 63 (63-6), Brisbane, 1991
Biggest Australian winning score in Wales: 38 (38-3) Cardiff, 1991

Heaviest Australian defeat (by score) at all venues: 28 (3-28) Cardiff, 1975
Heaviest Australian defeat (by score) in Wales: 28 (3-28) Cardiff, 1975

Most points scored by Australia at all venues: 63 (63-6) Brisbane, 1991
Most points scored by Australian in Wales: 38 (38-3) Cardiff, 1991

Most points conceded by Australia at all venues: 29 (29-29) Cardiff, 2006
Most points conceded by Australia in Wales: 29 (29-29) Cardiff, 2006

Most tries scored by Australia at all venues: 12, Brisbane, 1991
Most tries scored by Australia in Wales: 6, Cardiff, 1991

Most tries conceded by Australia at all venues: 4, Cardiff, 1975
Most tries conceded by Australia in Wales: 4, Cardiff, 1975

Individual Player Statistics

Most appearances by an Australian player against Wales: 9, George Gregan 1994-2007 & Nathan Sharpe 2002-2011
Most points in a Test by an Australian player against Wales: 23, Michael Lynagh, Brisbane, 1991
Most points in a Test by a Welsh player against Australia: 14, Jonathan Davies, Cardiff, 1996 & Stephen Jones, Cardiff, 2005
Most tries in a Test by an Australian player against Wales: 2 by nine players.
Most tries in a Test by a Welsh player against Australia: 3, John (JJ) Williams, Cardiff, 1975
Most tries in a Test career by an Australian player against Wales: 5, Chris Latham, 2001-2007

Leading Australian Point-scorers against Wales

84 Matthew Burke
58 Michael Lynagh
47 Matt Giteau
34 Paul Mclean
28 Stirling Mortlock

Leading Point-scorers for Wales against Australia

59 Stephen Jones
36 James Hook
22 Neil Jenkins

Leading Australian Try-scorers against Wales

5 Chris Latham
4 Michael Lynagh
3 Marty Roebuck
3 Tim Horan
3 David Campese
3 Matt Giteau
3 Digby Ioane

Leading Try-scorers for Wales against Australia

5 Shane Williams
4 Gerald Davies
3 John (JJ) Williams

Most Australian Caps against Wales

9 Nathan Sharpe
9 George Gregan
8 David Campese
7 Tim Horan
7 George Smith
7 Mark Chisholm
6 Joe Roff
6 Phil Waugh

General Trivia

The Man in charge
He was once Sean Fitzpatrick’s understudy seemingly forever. He was also John Mitchell’s flat-mate. But Warren Gatland has emerged from their respective shadows to establish himself as a bit of a super coach. After 140 games for Waikato between 1986 and 1994, and 17 non-Test match outings hooking the scrum for the All Blacks, Gatland began his professional coaching career with Irish province Connacht between 1996 and 1998.

He then took on Ireland from 1998 to 2001, coaching against Australia during the 1999 Rugby World Cup. Gatland won 18, drew one and lost 19 while in charge of Ireland, before beginning a five-year stint as director of Rugby at London Wasps which helped re-establish the famous club as a genuine European heavyweight. While Gatland was in London, the club annexed the English Premiership three times (2003, 2004 & 2005) and also won the Heineken Cup in 2004.

Gatland then returned to his native New Zealand, bagging the Air New Zealand Cup (NPC) with Waikato in 2006, and serving as Chiefs’ assistant coach in Super Rugby, before he returned to the international ranks with Wales in 2008. The Dragons had humiliatingly missed the quarter-finals at the previous year’s Rugby World Cup, but Gatland instantly turned their fortunes around, guiding Wales to the 2008 Six Nations Grand Slam. Wales returned from the 2011 Rugby World Cup having won 23, lost 24 and drawn one under the Gatland regime.

Four Play
The Wallabies will achieve their fourth straight Test win over Wales should they be successful at the Millennium Stadium this weekend. That would represent the outright second best winning sequence for Australia against Wales, trailing only the nine straight wins gathered between 1991 and 2003.

The three wins in a row currently achieved have matched the three wins claimed in 2007 for the second best Australian winning sequence against Wales.

The Whizz Kid of Oz
21-year-old James O’Connor will feature in his 37th Test on Saturday, one scoring play away from becoming just the eighth Wallaby to surpass 200 Test points.

Fresh from a Rugby World Cup campaign where he finished as the tournament’s second highest point-scorer (behind South Africa’s Morne Steyn) with 52, O’Connor begins this weekend with 199 Test points to his name. He was the second youngest player to reach 100 Test points behind England’s Jonny Wilkinson.

A Fond Farewell
He has already scored more tries – five – against Australia than any other Welshman, and Shane Williams will be looking for a spectacular farewell as he bids adieu to Test rugby in the James Bevan Trophy match.

A try-scorer at Eden Park in the Bronze Final, the 34-year-old has scored a Welsh record 57 tries from his 86 Test caps for the Principality, while also winning the 2008 IRB Player of the Year award after the team’s run to the Six Nations Grand Slam that year. He is also a two-time British and Irish Lions tourist.

The Magnificent Millennium
The Millennium Stadium, which was finally completed in 1999 after two years of construction, is the fourth largest stadium in the United Kingdom behind Wembley, Twickenham and Old Trafford. It has a capacity of 74,500 and was built on the site of Cardiff Arms Park.

The construction cost the WRU £126 million, which was funded by private investment, £46 million of public funds from the National Lottery, the sale of debentures to supporters (which offered guaranteed tickets in exchange for an interest-free loan), and loans. Saturday’s Test will be the 82nd played by Wales at the stadium since its opening 12 years ago. From the previous 81 matches, Wales have recorded 42 wins, 36 defeats and three draws.

Did You Know?
Wales has only scored more than two tries against Australia once in 18 Tests since the 1987 Rugby World Cup match between the nations. Australia has scored three or more tries in eight of its last 10 Tests against Wales.

For Once the Numbers Lie
The performance by Wales in reaching the World Cup semi-finals represented a genuine resurgence by the national side and was recognized as such, especially as Wales had failed to even make the quarters at the previous edition of the tournament in 2007. Even so, the three losses Wales endured during the 2011 tournament also represented the most the country had ever suffered at a single World Cup.

The Lucky Charms
Wales has only twice beaten Australia since 1987 and Stephen Jones and Shane Williams featured in both of them. The ‘lucky charms’ were the only Welsh players to be on the field in both the 2005 and 2008 victories achieved by Wales. Nathan Sharpe was the only Wallaby to figure in both matches.

Sevens Heaven
Wales is not traditionally known as a Sevens haven, but the principality shot to stardom in 2009 when it took out the Rugby World Cup Sevens in the United Arab Emirates – sharing the podium with the championship-winning Australian women’s team at Dubai. Wales beat Argentina in the final after earlier having taken out traditional Sevens powers Samoa and New Zealand en-route to the decider.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 30 Nov 2011, 11:41 am

A preview from the ARU Website...!

A revitalized Wales appear poised to dismantle the established international order following recent wins over England (pre-World Cup) and Ireland, as well as gallant defeats by one-point against South Africa and France, and three against Australia during the Rugby World Cup.

While still a relatively young side with an average age of 26 years per player, Wales retains a core of hardened pros who have experienced their share of success through two Six Nations Grand Slams from the last six championship campaigns.

Australia has experienced the resurgence first hand during visits to Cardiff. Although the Wallabies have won more matches than they’ve lost since first landing in Wales in 1908, Australia has won on just three of its last six visits to the Millennium Stadium.

The Trophy – The James Bevan Trophy

The James Bevan Trophy was established in 2007 to commemorate the 100th year of Test Rugby between Australia and Wales. The trophy is named after James Bevan, an Australian born Welshman who was the first ever captain of the Welsh Rugby team. It is contested each time the two sides meet. Australia won the inaugural James Bevan Trophy in 2007 winning the series 2-0 on home soil, before conceding it to Wales a year later.

The Trophy is now back in Australian possession after a 33-12 success at Cardiff in 2009. It was successfully retained after last year’s 25-16 win at the Millennium Stadium but was not at stake during the recent Bronze Final between the two nations at the Rugby World Cup.

The Last Meeting (Six weeks ago at a neutral venue)
Australia 21, Wales 18 at Auckland, 21 October, 2011

Australia collected the Bronze at the Rugby World Cup, while completing a third consecutive victory over Wales after a three-point success on a dramatic night in Auckland. Despite injuries playing havoc with Australian playing resources, the Wallabies held their nerve to bank the win, finishing it off with four minutes to go when Ben McCalman crossed to make the game safe at 21-11.

The performance gave the Wallabies a positive end to the tournament, while cementing their world number two ranking. It represented a great show of character five days after the agony of losing a World Cup semi-final to the eventual tournament champions, New Zealand.

The Last Meeting (in Wales)
Wales 16, Australia 25 at Cardiff, 6 November, 2010

Australia completed back-to-back wins against Wales in Cardiff for just the third time, scoring three tries to one in a comfortable nine-point victory. While the visitors had their challenges at scrum time, and were briefly threatened when Wales pulled back to 16-22, 10 minutes from time, the result was never really in any doubt, although the score-line was closer than the 21-point hammering that had been administered to Warren Gatland’s men at the same venue 12-months earlier.

Two Years ago (in Wales)
Wales 12, Australia 33 at Cardiff, 28 November, 2009

Australia concluded its 2009 autumn tour of Europe on a commanding note, recording its second biggest win in Cardiff as it trounced Wales 33-12. The Qantas Wallabies scored four tries to nil as they convincingly reversed the previous year’s defeat at the Millennium Stadium.

The Last Meeting (in Australia)
Australia 31, Wales 0 at Brisbane, 2 June, 2007

It was decisive on the scoreboard, but the numbers disguised a much closer contest as Australia wrapped up the inaugural James Bevan Trophy series by blanking Wales in the second Test.

The visitors had only fallen to an after the bell try in the first match in Sydney a week earlier, and threatened to go the distance again and give the Australians another uneasy experience after they held the Wallabies to a 6-0 halftime advantage the second time around.

This time, Wales was unable to sustain the effort, falling away as Australia posted three second half tries to blow out to a deceptively comfortable winning margin.

Australia v Wales head-to-head record

1908 Wales 9-6 Cardiff
1927 Australia 18-8 Cardiff
1947 Wales 6-0 Cardiff
1958 Wales 9-3 Cardiff
1966 Australia 14-11 Cardiff
1969 Wales 19-16 Sydney
1973 Wales 24-0 Cardiff
1975 Wales 28-3 Cardiff
1978 Australia 18-8 Brisbane
1978 Australia 19-17 Sydney
1981 Wales 18-13 Cardiff
1984 Australia 28-9 Cardiff
1987 Wales 22-21 Rotorua *
1991 Australia 63-6 Brisbane
1991 Australia 38-3 Cardiff *
1992 Australia 23-6 Cardiff
1996 Australia 56-25 Brisbane
1996 Australia 42-3 Sydney
1996 Australia 28-19 Cardiff
1999 Australia 24-9 Cardiff *
2001 Australia 21-13 Cardiff
2003 Australia 30-10 Sydney
2005 Wales 24-22 Cardiff
2006 Match Drawn 29-29 Cardiff
2007 Australia 29-23 Sydney
2007 Australia 31-0 Brisbane
2007 Australia 32-20 Cardiff *
2008 Wales 21-18 Cardiff
2009 Australia 33-12 Cardiff
2010 Australia 25-16 Cardiff
2011 Australia 21-18 Auckland*

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 30 Nov 2011, 1:03 pm

Dim problem boys, I was at the Millenium in 2008 and we won - I'll pull something out the bag again Very Happy
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Wed 30 Nov 2011, 1:12 pm

Nice lot of stats - cheers maes

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by tatterd Wed 30 Nov 2011, 1:15 pm

Maesteg - the only problem with Ian Evans is that he is as thick as two short planks. "It's a thinking man's game............."

tatterd

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 30 Nov 2011, 3:19 pm

tatterd wrote:Maesteg - the only problem with Ian Evans is that he is as thick as two short planks. "It's a thinking man's game............."

Jinks wasn't or isn't the smartest player ever to don a jersey and he had fantastic carear.

Evans has a great chance nd hope he takes it to add to our depth
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 30 Nov 2011, 3:33 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:
tatterd wrote:Maesteg - the only problem with Ian Evans is that he is as thick as two short planks. "It's a thinking man's game............."

Jinks wasn't or isn't the smartest player ever to don a jersey and he had fantastic carear.

Evans has a great chance nd hope he takes it to add to our depth
I'm not too worried about his intelligence levels, he is replacing a training Lawyer so he will always look less academic than his rivals. But compare him to the locks of other countries like Courtney Lawes or David Attwood, visually looks more intelligent than Paul O'Connell, then he doesn't look so dumb.

Let see how he goes, should great signs as a youngster, has had a good run of games where he has played well with the Ospreys. Still a young guy, so could be a great extra to add to the squad.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Wed 30 Nov 2011, 5:30 pm

Thinking mans game but guys with quick reactions win matches.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed 30 Nov 2011, 5:36 pm

Anyone else remember Ian Evans' first try for Wales? That was quick thinking. Smile
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed 30 Nov 2011, 5:56 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P29Tm-Gu1c8
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content